TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-09-2009, 02:13 PM   #31
dfeldmanmt

Tivo S1 download stopped

I just discovered the wife's S1 stopped downloading a week or so ago, same resjlts as documented by others.

Is there any new info or resolution after 12/18 ?

DISH started shutting down service to their early boxes last summer, I guess 8-10 years is all we can expect --irrespective of system lifetime

Thanks

DON
Old 01-12-2009, 07:59 PM   #32
ervdoggie

Thumbs up

Yeah! What he said!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubular031 View Post
Someone over at tivo flipped some switch and poof, death to all s1 via the network. They already have to crunch the data for the phone calls (for the RAS network) from s1 devices. Why stop the flow of data to the incomming tcp/ip connections? I would be willing to bet this is Tivos way of making the s1 boxes all but go away. You show me a handful of oldskool $10 modems that last for 8 years with daily usage. There are not many out there. Tivo knows what they are doing. Ill bet me and many others are going to get pissed and jump ship if they dont fix it soon.

The data is there already and all they need to do it turn the delivery back on.

I would like to see some stats of how many s1 s2 and s3 boxes are out there and how they phone home. I would bet you that there are lots of s1 boxes using tcp/ip and tivos plan is to get those users to buy a new one. Till TIVO tells me different that is my story and I am sticking to it.
</rant>

ervdoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 08:01 PM   #33
ervdoggie

Okay, so I left Tivo Series 1 alone for a while after switching to a different dial up number. It downloaded the rest of the guide on its own, yet only showed "4" days of programming & saying it was updated. Well, I should have 10-11 days of guide data. Forced another few calls and did a reboot, now 11 days of programming is back.

Today (1/12/09) Tivo is fussing again and calls aren't going through. I called Tivo Tech Support at 877-367-8486. Chose Tech Support from the menu system and then speak to a Tivo Rep and it put me right through once I verified my account details.

The tech I spoke to was pretty good. I of course had this blog in front of me to read, so I shot down all the *triage questions* "your Tivo is Brand "XXX" and made by xxx therefore...." Sure buddy. I pulled all those cards off their table and once his script was done and he knew I was getting guide data just not consistently, he was ready to play ball and work with me.

He was aware of Series 1 dialup issues as of late Nov/Dec 2008 as there was a software update released for all other Tivos but series 1 about that time. Now, as an I.T. Guy of 12 years, that is usually done (and called a patch) when you've changed the infrastructure (back end systems) and now the clients (us) have to now know something different in order to keep working. I think they did something that Series 1 doesn't like.

I asked what are they addressing about the "Nationwide" issue with Tivo Series 1s that are dialing in, specifically with modems? He could find no ticket or issue in their system and could see nothing. (not a good sign Tivo)

I asked they open a case, so they did. I also told him I would post in the Tivo Community forum and have people call in and get a case number. I managed a helpdesk and you can't manage what is not there, let alone know about it. We continued on with the issue.

I told him after 20 dials manually I will get a guide and it will update, so that removes all of their deflection about my "hardware" is made by xxx and my Tivo software XXX and my phone line is XXX issues trying to point to the customer in some way as if its their problem or their Tivo is broken.

No problems on the "client" end is what I asked him to agree with based on our conversation (and he did, since they record the calls). It is on their end or with one of their providers, infrastructure somewhere in the mix to affect this widespread of a customer base. I was informed lots of "outside vendors" are used to provide the Tivo service guide, whatever and there are lots of players that have a piece of their infrastructure to work with (cable/DSL/Phone Company/Provider etc.)

I confirmed my years of experience with him and the fact that it is soo widespread and not localized and all across the country indicates a more "centralized" issue. Not every cable/internet/telephone/DSL company makes a Nationwide change all at one time. That is Infrastructure Support SUICIDE to risk taking your network down at one time and his suggestion is completely not relevant (or someone should be fired!). He finally quieted down on that issue. We keep troubleshooting and agreed that it is NOT the Tivo hardware/customer problem since the issue cropped up November/December 2008 all of a sudden.

Problem still exists, I'm now checking it daily and keeping a log of when it calls on its "own" without my assistance and what the status of the last call was. My last successful call was 1/11/09 4:33am. Next scheduled call is 1/12/09 4:36pm. We'll see.

I think I'll check to see if another post exists to collect the dates and times our Series 1 Tivos are connecting on its "own" without any assistance to see if there is a particular time most success is taking place. Stay tuned...

Last edited by ervdoggie : 01-12-2009 at 08:15 PM.
ervdoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:24 AM   #34
Rick Auricchio

Mine's been doing the same for the past few weeks. I was able to get data by forcing a daily call last week.

I'm on dialup, Series 1 Philips HDR212.

Tonight it said "Service Unavailable." I forced a call and got the same result at 10:07 PST.
Rick Auricchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:57 AM   #35
ditch
Couch PoTiVo

STILL no official stance from TiVo~!!!!~!~!~!~!~!!~!~!M KL NJKMB !JHBHKJ~NKLK K"@K @KL!KPO~M###KIM#)KO L~OP{:!P#K~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wii: 0008-7364-1331-4623
ditch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:41 AM   #36
tubular031

I ended up just about steeling a s2 with lifetime on craigslist. had this not happened I would be on the phone with dishnet ordering one of their dvrs. I can not believe tivo would do this. that is not right and its no wonder they are starting to sink...
tubular031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:34 PM   #37
johnhartshorn

Tivo S1 download stopped

Just to add my sob story to the list, my last successful call was on 3 Jan at 10:09PM CST (Forced). 53 calls (Both forced and normal) have all failed in multiple area codes since, including a 212 number that has been very stable.

John

Phillips Series 1 with lifetime.
johnhartshorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:59 PM   #38
mec1991
Cranky old coot

Ervdoggie,

Thanks for your post. I called again (my saga is in the longer thread), got another CSR who also professed to know nothing about the problem, tried to keep to his script but I got annoyed and asked to speak to someone higher up only to be left on hold till I finally said to hell with it and hung up. I wish I had the technical background you and some others have to know what to say to them.

TiVo - and I know someone from the company has to have read this forum - this is just not cool. I have never bashed the company and have rolled my eyes at some of the customer service complaints posted here in the past, but this is absurd. It has been going on for over a month now without any sort of acknowledgement from the company.

Just tell us you are aware of the problem and are working on a fix. Trying to hide something doesn't accomplish anything good, it only makes you look bad, no matter the eventual outcome.
mec1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 01:36 AM   #39
ditch
Couch PoTiVo

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mec1991 View Post
Ervdoggie,
Just tell us you are aware of the problem and are working on a fix. Trying to hide something doesn't accomplish anything good, it only makes you look bad, no matter the eventual outcome.
ARE YOU HEARING THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wii: 0008-7364-1331-4623
ditch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 12:27 PM   #40
JayBird

We'd like to believe that people from TiVo read these forums and take note of every problem that crops up, but the truth is, they don't always catch them all. So if you are all waiting for someone at TiVo to discover this issue on this forum, you may be waiting for a long time for this problem to get fixed.

Also it's obvious that, per people's experiences trying to get help with this issue through the regular customer support channels (as discussed in all of the various threads on this issue), that going that route is appears to be a dead end ("we've never heard of that problem... must be a problem with your TiVo...").

Has anybody with this problem sent a PM to TiVoPony, TiVoJerry, and/or TiVoStephen about this issue? They all work for TiVo and tend to assist when problems are brought to their attention.

My Series 1 has been decommissioned at this point, so this issue doesn't affect me, or I would be the one contacting these guys and making sure it gets dealt with properly.
HTPC w/ Ceton InifiniTV4
Denon AVR-3808CI A/V receiver
Pioneer KURO PDP-6010FD 60" Plasma HDTV
Logitech Harmony One remote
JayBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 12:48 PM   #41
SleepyBob

I brought my TiVo 1 back online last month, but could never get through for the calls. I assumed it was Vonage and Charter Phone causing the problem (tried at two houses), but maybe not.

Are any Series 1's able to dial in?
SleepyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 12:52 PM   #42
erniebert

I just spoke with a tech who asked me to forward him all the message board links and websites that are reporting this issue.
He was very nice, but also stated that he was unaware that there was a huge issue but would love more details and to see how widespread it is.
Can you fine people give me a list of sites/boards reporting this issue and I will forward them to him in a email!! Hopefully he can get this escalated?!?!?!? Just report the sites in this thread and I will keep checking them!!

Ernie
erniebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 02:58 PM   #43
mec1991
Cranky old coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyBob View Post
Are any Series 1's able to dial in?
If you force anywhere from 6 to 10 calls you might get lucky.
Old 01-14-2009, 03:53 PM   #44
dbranco

Thanks erniebert! Here are a couple others:

"Series 1 Not Downloading Data"
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=410172

"Service Unavailable with TurboNet"
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=413018
dbranco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 10:03 AM   #45
mec1991
Cranky old coot

Regarding some of the earlier posts in this thread, I honestly do not believe TiVo is the type company who would deliberately do this. (I can see Philips or Sanyo attempting something like this, but that is another story....)

But even if they were the type, they would have to know you cannot get away with behavior like that in the age of the internet. The "good old days" where companies did not have to worry about bad publicity being spread worldwide are long gone.

That having been said, the silence from TiVo is truly deafening.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:26 AM   #46
johnhartshorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhartshorn View Post
Just to add my sob story to the list, my last successful call was on 3 Jan at 10:09PM CST (Forced). 53 calls (Both forced and normal) have all failed in multiple area codes since, including a 212 number that has been very stable.

John

Phillips Series 1 with lifetime.
Update: I have now had several calls successfully connect and start downloading, but all have ended with "Call interrupted", and I have not gotten to the point of being able to update guide data. The only times I have ever been able to get calls throughis in the wee hours, so I may have to stay up tonight repeatedly forcing calls.

In another thread/forum forums.tivo.com/pe/action/forums/displaythread?rootPostID=10412199 some reported being able to temporarily switch to a 800 number, but when I try to get new numbers, it wants to dial out to update the numbers list, and of course gets the same issue.

Does anyone know what the "800" number is, so I can enter it as a pre-fix? I tried capturing the default nunmber TIVO uses, but because it puts a "1" in front of it, my VOIP system errors out before the call is made, and doesn't record it.

Update #2 - After sitting up and babysitting last night (34 forced calls, 31 of which "failed to connect" or "service not answering", I finally finished the download (A total of 142 calls over 5 days, of which 5 successfully downloaded any data). I can now see local numbers to dial, but no 800 number is listed. Froma toll perspective, it doesn't matter, as I am on VOIP, and charged for minutes used regardless of what area code. I would just like a number that works.

John

Last edited by johnhartshorn : 01-16-2009 at 12:23 PM. Reason: updated information
johnhartshorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 05:41 AM   #47
dbranco

GREAT NEWS! Reply from TiVoJerry in this thread!!!

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...=410172&page=7

(see post #192)
dbranco is offline   Reply With Quote