TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-11-2009, 01:16 PM   #2071
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonian View Post
I have TWC in Greensboro, NC. Just got the TA installed on Thursday in my S3 with 2 S-cards. Everything works fine, but the TA is only paired to CC#1. That works fine most of the time unless I'm already recording/pausing an SDV channel with CC#1 and want to record/watch another SDV channel, then I'm out of luck. I'm also concerned that the TiVo might use CC#1 to record a non-SDV channel by chance and then I won't be able to tune/record an SDV channel.

So my questions are:
1) is that correct that a TA can only pair with one CC at a time?
2) if #1 is correct, then what are my options?

Do I need to sell the S3 and get a TiVoHD with an M-card? If the TA is paired with an M-card, can you then tune SDV channels on both streams?
From my reading of the spec, the TA isnt 'paired' with a cablecard at all. It simply provides a channel map and a frequency resolving service for an attached UDCP device. If you have a tuner/cablecard that isnt properly decoding SDV channels then you may have an 'entitlement' problem on that cablecard.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 03:07 PM   #2072
jacksonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID View Post
From my reading of the spec, the TA isnt 'paired' with a cablecard at all. It simply provides a channel map and a frequency resolving service for an attached UDCP device. If you have a tuner/cablecard that isnt properly decoding SDV channels then you may have an 'entitlement' problem on that cablecard.
Hmm, I was just going by what the installation tech was telling me. Let me ask him about this. Are there any other people having this issue with the TA?
jacksonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:14 AM   #2073
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonian View Post
Hmm, I was just going by what the installation tech was telling me. Let me ask him about this. Are there any other people having this issue with the TA?
I'm missing two channels: A&E HD and Palladia. Other TA users here in San Antonio are reporting the same thing. Everything else seems to be working fine.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:16 AM   #2074
lrhorer

Quote:
That's right. I picked up 3 TAs today. None of them were paired with any particular CableCard(s).
Old 01-13-2009, 08:25 AM   #2075
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
That's right. I picked up 3 TAs today. None of them were paired with any particular CableCard(s).
The next facet of the question would be whether the TA's have an affinity to any particular TiVo.... I.E are they simply 'authorized' to the account and will work with any TA aware device perhaps not even a TiVo (such as HT computer). The spec seemed to indicate that this was the case.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:02 AM   #2076
cableguy763

Quote:
The next facet of the question would be whether the TA's have an affinity to any particular TiVo.... I.E are they simply 'authorized' to the account and will work with any TA aware device perhaps not even a TiVo (such as HT computer). The spec seemed to indicate that this was the case.
Yes, they are simply authorized by the account. A htpc maker could make their product work with a ta, but tivo seems to be the only ones with the initiative to do so.
cableguy763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:02 AM   #2077
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy763 View Post
Yes, they are simply authorized by the account. A htpc maker could make their product work with a ta, but tivo seems to be the only ones with the initiative to do so.

Thanks! That is what I thought would be the case... Now if TWC Raleigh could just get me a couple TA's I would be in business Hopefully this month.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:08 AM   #2078
lrhorer

I wouldn't be surprised if one or two CE manufacturers came out with TA capable models by year's end, now that deployment of the TA has commenced. I doubt consumer appetite will be very high, however.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:12 AM   #2079
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Here is another question.... Anybody see any issues with using a unique coax to the TA instead of using the pass thru capability of the TA. I have two cable feeds into my cabinet and would just as soon avoid the split inside the TA. I dont believe there is any kind of communications between the TA and TiVo on the coax (given that TiVo doesnt have an upstream xmitter) so it would seem to be just fine.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:27 AM   #2080
lrhorer

Quote:
Here is another question.... Anybody see any issues with using a unique coax to the TA instead of using the pass thru capability of the TA. I have two cable feeds into my cabinet and would just as soon avoid the split inside the TA. I dont believe there is any kind of communications between the TA and TiVo on the coax (given that TiVo doesnt have an upstream xmitter) so it would seem to be just fine.
It should work. It appears the TA has a little built-in amplifier (or at least it appears the Cisco TA does), so there shouldn't really be an issue with going through the TA, but if it floats your boat to do it the other way, it shouldn't hurt.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:27 AM   #2081
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
There should be no issue at all with that. Though I also would not expect a splitter to be involved anyway, so it probably would have no effect on signal levels for cable tuning on the TiVo. And of course even if there were a slightly lower signal level, it wouldn't likely matter unless there were analog signals you had to tune and they were weak to begin with.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:42 AM   #2082
cableguy763

Quote:
That works fine. The usb is obviously the important part. There is a +3dbmv gain from the output of the ta.
cableguy763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:51 AM   #2083
SCSIRAID

Quote:
That works fine. The usb is obviously the important part. There is a +3dbmv gain from the output of the ta.
One thing I dont need any more of is signal level.... Im already at 0dbm in the 700Mhz area. I was also concerned about reverse channel filtering (or potential lack thereof). Didnt want any of the high transmit levels of the reverse channel applied to the tivo (as lrhorer said in some other thread... trying to have a conversation while standing next to the concert speakers.. a IM challenge for the tuner). Im pushing back thru an amp with an 8 way splitter so my return channel transmit levels are kinda high.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:52 AM   #2084
PumiceT
Mentally Drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoody222 View Post
Do you have any info about TWC Buffalo?
I was on the phone with a Time Warner rep, regarding some issues with my CableCARDs, and got the following list of SDV channels for Time Warner WNY Suburban (not the city of Buffalo):

SDV Channels

190 ???
197 ???

510-519
531-544
715-716
719-721
723-724
728-739
741-745
747-751
769-770
773-774

Mind you, this list is a little odd, considering some channels don't exist for the numbers she gave me, but to her credit, I was trying to type numbers on a laptop without a number pad, so I wasn't as quick as I needed to be!

I think the following list is pretty accurate: (at the time of this post, anyway)
123 - FIT TV (Digital Cable)
127 - New York State Legislative Channel (Digital Cable)
158 - Boomerang (Digital Cable)
168 - Trinity Broadcasting Network (Digital Cable)
715 - HGTV HD (Free High Definition)
716 - Food Network HD (Free High Definition)
719 - Fox Business Network (Free High Definition)
720 - Fox News HD (Free High Definition)
721 - CNN HD (Free High Definition)
723 - TBS in HD (Free High Definition)
724 - TNT HD (Free High Definition)
728 - ESPN News HD (Free High Definition)
730 - MSG HD (Free High Definition)
731 - SportsNet NY HD (Free High Definition)
734 - National Geographic HD - Digital Variety
735 - Travel Channel HD (Free High Definition)
736 - TLC HD (Free High Definition)
737 - Science Channel HD (Free High Definition)
738 - Discovery Channel HD (Free High Definition)
739 - Animal Planet HD (Free High Definition)
741 - Planet Green HD (Free High Definition)
742 - A&E HD (Free High Definition)
743 - BIO HD (No Channel Group)
744 - History in HD (Free High Definition)
745 - Crime & Investigation HD (Free High Definition)
747 - Cartoon Network HD (Free High Definition)
748 - Toon Disney HD (Digital Variety)
749 - ABC Family HD (Free High Definition)
750 - Disney HD (Free High Definition)
751 - Lifetime Movie Network HD (Digital Variety)
753 - MGM HD (Digital HD Tier)
757 - FX HD (Free High Definition)
760 - Palladia (Free High Definition)
769 - SPEED HD (Digital Variety)
770 - YES HD (Free High Definition)
789 - Hallmark Movie Channel HD (Free High Definition)
PumiceT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 02:31 PM   #2085
lrhorer

Uh, guys, I'd take it as a personal favor if you would be a little more careful with your units. A gain or attenuation is measured in dB, not dBmV. One dBmV is a very specific unit of power; 16.79 nanowatts, to be exact. A gain or attenuation is said to change a level by a specific FACTOR, not by a specifc amount pf power. Thus, a 3 dB gain or attenuation doubles or halves the original amount of power, respectively. Zero dBmV is equal to a 1 millivolt signal across a 75 ohm impedance, or 13.33 nanowatts. Zero dBm is equal to one milliwatt, or 48.75 dBmV. I know this may seem like an incredibly picky nit, but it's rather a pet peeve of mine. Besides, sometimes units can be really important. After all, NASA lost a $125 million Martian Orbiter spacecraft because one set of engineers working on the Climate Orbiter used metric calculations and another engineering team used English units.

Quote:
One thing I dont need any more of is signal level.... Im already at 0dbm in the 700Mhz area. I was also concerned about reverse channel filtering (or potential lack thereof). Didnt want any of the high transmit levels of the reverse channel applied to the tivo (as lrhorer said in some other thread... trying to have a conversation while standing next to the concert speakers.. a IM challenge for the tuner). Im pushing back thru an amp with an 8 way splitter so my return channel transmit levels are kinda high.
'Shouldn't be an issue. First of all, as long as all the ports on whatever splitters, combiners, and couplers are employed are properly terminated, the port to port isolation on any quality splitter / combiner is usually at least 20 or 30 dB. Secondly, although there can be some issues with a high level signal at TVIF (the region near 38.9 MHz), broadband superheterodyne receivers generally handle OOB signals below their active band pretty well (that's one reason why 38.9 MHz was chosen for TVIF, and also partially why TV channel 1 was eliminated from the television spectrum). Thus, even though the return signal is very high in signal level - possibly over 50 dBmV - It probably won't cause problems with your setup. If it does, you could replace that 8-way with a pair of 4-way splitters and a high quality 2-way splitter, with the Tivo and the TA on different 4-way splitters. That will increase your isolation by at least 14 dB.

Note since the TA has a built-in diplexer and an amplifier, it is highly unlikely it will pass any significant amount of signal below 50 MHz from its input to its output, so interference from a DOCSIS modem or a digital phone setup won't cause issues on that venue. If you have problems seemingly related to the return carrier or other OOB signals below 50 MHz, you could always pad down the output of the TA and move the TiVo back to the TA port to see if it alleviates the problem. I don't really expect that you will have problems, however. Do be absolutely certain all the ports on that 8-way are properly terminated, though. An improperly terminated port on a combiner can completely trash the return loss and port isolation, causing the very problem you fear. What's worse, it can be intermittent. A small change in temperature can radically change the port isolation and return loss if the combiner has unterminated ports. It also has been known to cause the most bizarre signal quality issues.

Last edited by lrhorer : 01-14-2009 at 02:42 PM.
Old 01-14-2009, 03:09 PM   #2086
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Uh, guys, I'd take it as a personal favor if you would be a little more careful with your units. A gain or attenuation is measured in dB, not dBmV. One dBmV is a very specific unit of power; 16.79 nanowatts, to be exact. A gain or attenuation is said to change a level by a specific FACTOR, not by a specifc amount pf power. Thus, a 3 dB gain or attenuation doubles or halves the original amount of power, respectively. Zero dBmV is equal to a 1 millivolt signal across a 75 ohm impedance, or 13.33 nanowatts. Zero dBm is equal to one milliwatt, or 48.75 dBmV. I know this may seem like an incredibly picky nit, but it's rather a pet peeve of mine. Besides, sometimes units can be really important. After all, NASA lost a $125 million Martian Orbiter spacecraft because one set of engineers working on the Climate Orbiter used metric calculations and another engineering team used English units.

'Shouldn't be an issue. First of all, as long as all the ports on whatever splitters, combiners, and couplers are employed are properly terminated, the port to port isolation on any quality splitter / combiner is usually at least 20 or 30 dB. Secondly, although there can be some issues with a high level signal at TVIF (the region near 38.9 MHz), broadband superheterodyne receivers generally handle OOB signals below their active band pretty well (that's one reason why 38.9 MHz was chosen for TVIF, and also partially why TV channel 1 was eliminated from the television spectrum). Thus, even though the return signal is very high in signal level - possibly over 50 dBmV - It probably won't cause problems with your setup. If it does, you could replace that 8-way with a pair of 4-way splitters and a high quality 2-way splitter, with the Tivo and the TA on different 4-way splitters. That will increase your isolation by at least 14 dB.

Note since the TA has a built-in diplexer and an amplifier, it is highly unlikely it will pass any significant amount of signal below 50 MHz from its input to its output, so interference from a DOCSIS modem or a digital phone setup won't cause issues on that venue. If you have problems seemingly related to the return carrier or other OOB signals below 50 MHz, you could always pad down the output of the TA and move the TiVo back to the TA port to see if it alleviates the problem. I don't really expect that you will have problems, however. Do be absolutely certain all the ports on that 8-way are properly terminated, though. An improperly terminated port on a combiner can completely trash the return loss and port isolation, causing the very problem you fear. What's worse, it can be intermittent. A small change in temperature can radically change the port isolation and return loss if the combiner has unterminated ports. It also has been known to cause the most bizarre signal quality issues.
The 8 way is actually integrated into the amp and you can be assured that the unused output IS terminated with a proper shorting plug.

I also have some return path filters which would also help with my 'fear' or the high return level...

Thanks!!
Old 01-15-2009, 07:07 PM   #2087
lrhorer

Quote:
The 8 way is actually integrated into the amp and you can be assured that the unused output IS terminated with a proper shorting plug.
OK, good, but one must also be sure the drops attached to the 8-way are also properly terminated. If they are plugged in to active devices, then it should be OK (although occasionally I have come across an active device with a bad terminating resistor which raised all manner of havoc until the bad - but still functional - device was removed), but if the drops go to unused wall plates, they really should be terminated. Few people bother - including me, truth be told, but then a situation like you describe is just the sort of thing that can sometimes jump up and bite you if one or more legs is not properly terminated.

Note an 8-way with an integrated amp is only really "integrated" in that the component are all in the same case. Functionally, the setup is little different than an 8-way with an external amp. There may be one difference, however. It is possible the device in question utilizes multiple 2 and / or 4-way splitters rather than a single integrated 8-way array, in which case the port to port isolation may be much better than a monolithic 8-way. The down side (pretty much irrelevant in this case) is the flat loss may be a bit higher.

Quote:
I also have some return path filters which would also help with my 'fear' or the high return level...
'Sounds like you have it covered. I seriously doubt you'll have any issues.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:19 PM   #2088
SCSIRAID

Quote:
OK, good, but one must also be sure the drops attached to the 8-way are also properly terminated. If they are plugged in to active devices, then it should be OK (although occasionally I have come across an active device with a bad terminating resistor which raised all manner of havoc until the bad - but still functional - device was removed), but if the drops go to unused wall plates, they really should be terminated. Few people bother - including me, truth be told, but then a situation like you describe is just the sort of thing that can sometimes jump up and bite you if one or more legs is not properly terminated.

Note an 8-way with an integrated amp is only really "integrated" in that the component are all in the same case. Functionally, the setup is little different than an 8-way with an external amp. There may be one difference, however. It is possible the device in question utilizes multiple 2 and / or 4-way splitters rather than a single integrated 8-way array, in which case the port to port isolation may be much better than a monolithic 8-way. The down side (pretty much irrelevant in this case) is the flat loss may be a bit higher.

'Sounds like you have it covered. I seriously doubt you'll have any issues.
Yup... Ive only have one unused wall plate and it is terminated.

The amp is a Viewsonics (Emerson) VSMA-608. Specs show 32db isolation 15-40Mhz and 25db from 5-15Mhz and 53-860Mhz... 22db above 860Mhz. Flatness is +/- .75db forward and +/- .5 db reverse. Ive also got an 8 output PCT amp in the box that I havent used.

Thanks
Old 01-20-2009, 06:52 PM   #2089
madoverlord

Has anyone in the Wilmington NC area gotten a tuning adapter yet. I filled out the preorder form months ago but haven't heard boo from TWC.
madoverlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 12:42 AM   #2090
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by madoverlord View Post
Has anyone in the Wilmington NC area gotten a tuning adapter yet. I filled out the preorder form months ago but haven't heard boo from TWC.
Here in San Antonio, ronfl started a thread specifically dedicated to delivery of the TA in the San Antonio market. The thread helped keep us all abreast of developments on virtually an hourly basis, and when we pointed TWC personnel to the website, it was instrumental in helping to resolve a number of small issues. I would recommend someone in each area slated to receive a TA in the near future do the same.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:08 PM   #2091
tguerrette

I received a call from Time Warner Cable in Portland Maine telling me the SDV Tuning Adapter was available and they would be shipping me one via UPS with 3-5 day delivery. I signed up for this a while back on the general Time Warner Tuning Adapter notification page.

I'll post more info when I receive and install it.
tguerrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:39 AM   #2092
ajergo
A.J.

Tuning Adapter Usage for TWC in Rochester, NY

Please reply to this post if you are using Time Warner Cable in Rochester, NY and have successfully used a Tuning Adapter for SDV channels with a TiVo HD box. Also let me know if you have had problems with this. I am about to purchase a TiVo HD box and want to make sure that there are no problems with getting Time Warner (specifically in Rochester, NY) to come out and install the Cable Cards along with hooking up the Tuning Adapter.

I understand you have to order the Tuning Adapter by mail first before the TWC installer comes to install a 'M' cable card.

Thanks in advance for your help.

A.J.
ajergo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 01:03 PM   #2093
berkshires

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajergo View Post
Please reply to this post if you are using Time Warner Cable in Rochester, NY and have successfully used a Tuning Adapter for SDV channels with a TiVo HD box. Also let me know if you have had problems with this. I am about to purchase a TiVo HD box and want to make sure that there are no problems with getting Time Warner (specifically in Rochester, NY) to come out and install the Cable Cards along with hooking up the Tuning Adapter.

I understand you have to order the Tuning Adapter by mail first before the TWC installer comes to install a 'M' cable card.

A.J.

This thread is TWC specific, and there are alot of Albany/upstate NY posters in there.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=408060

Also this is a great thread about it from another place...

http://albanyhdtv.proboards18.com/in...ad=2876&page=4
berkshires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:53 AM   #2094
mgerenser
New TiVo Fanatic

Cool TiVo HD with Tuning Adapter in Rochester, NY

I'm in Rochester, NY and I just got 2 TiVo HD units a couple weeks ago. I was sick and tired of the awful SA 8300 from Time Warner and finally decided to spend the money on the TiVos. Best investment I ever made, and I'm kicking myself that I didn't do it sooner! Of course, what finally pushed me over the edge was the availability of the Tuning Adapters in this market.

Here's my story:

I had the CableCards installed on Monday, January 26. Took the tech about 20-30 minutes per TiVo. Most of the time was actually spent with him waiting on hold for the office to pair CableCards. This tech wasn't 100% knowledgeable about CableCards, but he knew enough to get them working. One bit of advice: read the install instructions that comes with your TiVo before the tech arrives, and watch everything he does. As long as you're there to coach him, I don't see any issues.

My only issue was that Time Warner Rochester wouldn't send out the tuning adapters with the tech. They said they had to make sure the CableCards were installed properly first, and then asked me to call in and order the adapters separately. Whatever. I called in immediately after the tech left and they sent me my 2 tuning adapters via UPS. One arrived January 27, the other on January 29. Both installed in in a matter of minutes and both work perfectly with all the HD channels. In fact, Time Warner in Rochester just added a few new SDV HD channels to the 1070 tier, and they all showed up on my TiVo within 48 hours.

I should also note that I spoke to one of Time Warner's network admins who actually deploys the HD channels here in Rochester. He was very knowledgeable and helpful, and is genuinely interested in making sure everything works with the TiVos. My experience with level 1 CSRs at Time Warner has been pretty dismal in the past, but let it be known from experience that the smart guys higher up on the food chain are good at what they do and very willing to help.

Just a note on the Cisco Tuning Adapter: this thing is freakin' huge! I have mine hidden behind my TV stand because its so big and ugly. I imagine there's a lot of empty space inside this thing.

I've been using my 2 new TiVos a lot over the past week, and I am very happy with them. 10,000 times better than the junk HD box from Time Warner!

Anyone that's in the Rochester area that is thinking about getting a TiVo HD with Time Warner Cable is free to ask me any questions. I'll be happy to help.

Mike

Quote:

A.J.

Last edited by mgerenser : 02-04-2009 at 10:02 AM.
mgerenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:11 AM   #2095
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgerenser View Post
Just a note on the Cisco Tuning Adapter: this thing is freakin' huge! I have mine hidden behind my TV stand because its so big and ugly. I imagine there's a lot of empty space inside this thing.

Im not sure Id hide it behind the TV. Id like to be able to see the light on the front. If its flashing... then something is wrong and recordings may not be working.

One thing Im a bit concerned about is the TA's behavior when (if) it gets a firmware update. SA STB's always seem to turn off after a FW update. It will be ugly if the TA has to be manually turned on after a FW update.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:10 PM   #2096
ajergo
A.J.

TiVo HD with Tuning Adapter in Rochester, NY

Mike - thanks so much for all the detailed info on installing a TiVo HD with TWC in Rochester. This helps a lot. I was told on the phone that they have the 'M' cards instead of two single cable cards per TiVo. Is that what you got? I am in the process of ordering a TiVo HD from Amazon, so I have not received it yet. BUT, on the TWC web site there was a link to request a free Tuning Adapter to be mailed to me and I submitted that request ... will see if they send it to me before even scheduling an appointment for the Tech to come and install the cable card(s).

I have a Series 2 TiVo and a SA 8300 now and could not agree more about what a piece of junk the SA 8300 is from TWC. TiVo has a way of spoiling you though. If a stop a playback of a recorded show in the middle on the SA 8300 and then continue watching it the next day, it can not even remember where I left off and I have to search for the position that I stopped at. And then of course there is the automatic slight rewind that TiVo does when you hit play after fast forwarding at triple speed; the SA 8300 (and probably most other DVR's) do not do that, which is a great TiVo feature.

BUT, the downsides of giving up my SA 8300 once I get the TiVo HD are:
- No more Caller ID on the TV for my Digital Phone calls.
- No more "Start Over" feature on some shows; although I can usually find another time to record the same show at a later time.
- No more free On Demand movies or channels.
Will have to keep a plain HD cable box for above features.

Mike - some more questions for you:
1) Do you know which channels are in SDV format. Is it only the ones in the 1070's? How can I find this out?
2) I have one annoying problem with my SA 8300 now that I am hoping is the SA 8300 and not the cable signal. The picture on HD channels sometimes pauses for about 2 or 3 seconds, but the sound continues; after 2 or 3 seconds the picture catches up. Have you ever had this problem and if yes, has it stopped with your new TiVo HD box?
3) Can you give me the approximate dimensions of the huge Cisco Tuning Adapter box?

Again for thanks so much for this detailed reply.
A.J. (in Webster)

Quote:
I'm in Rochester, NY and I just got 2 TiVo HD units a couple weeks ago. I was sick and tired of the awful SA 8300 from Time Warner and finally decided to spend the money on the TiVos. Best investment I ever made, and I'm kicking myself that I didn't do it sooner! Of course, what finally pushed me over the edge was the availability of the Tuning Adapters in this market.

Here's my story:

I had the CableCards installed on Monday, January 26. Took the tech about 20-30 minutes per TiVo. Most of the time was actually spent with him waiting on hold for the office to pair CableCards. This tech wasn't 100% knowledgeable about CableCards, but he knew enough to get them working. One bit of advice: read the install instructions that comes with your TiVo before the tech arrives, and watch everything he does. As long as you're there to coach him, I don't see any issues.

My only issue was that Time Warner Rochester wouldn't send out the tuning adapters with the tech. They said they had to make sure the CableCards were installed properly first, and then asked me to call in and order the adapters separately. Whatever. I called in immediately after the tech left and they sent me my 2 tuning adapters via UPS. One arrived January 27, the other on January 29. Both installed in in a matter of minutes and both work perfectly with all the HD channels. In fact, Time Warner in Rochester just added a few new SDV HD channels to the 1070 tier, and they all showed up on my TiVo within 48 hours.

I should also note that I spoke to one of Time Warner's network admins who actually deploys the HD channels here in Rochester. He was very knowledgeable and helpful, and is genuinely interested in making sure everything works with the TiVos. My experience with level 1 CSRs at Time Warner has been pretty dismal in the past, but let it be known from experience that the smart guys higher up on the food chain are good at what they do and very willing to help.

I've been using my 2 new TiVos a lot over the past week, and I am very happy with them. 10,000 times better than the junk HD box from Time Warner!

Anyone that's in the Rochester area that is thinking about getting a TiVo HD with Time Warner Cable is free to ask me any questions. I'll be happy to help.

Mike

ajergo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 12:28 PM   #2097
skaggs
AlbanyHDTV

Quote:
Do you know which channels are in SDV format. Is it only the ones in the 1070's? How can I find this out?
Here are some instructions to tell what Time Warner Cable channels are using Switched Digital Video:

1. Get into the cable box's diagnostic menu by holding the "+" or "SELECT" button ON THE BOX in for a few seconds until the mail light begins flashing. (The "+" button in the center of the up, down, left, right arrow buttons.) Press the INFO button.

You can page through the informational screens by using the left & right arrow buttons. You can see the TV picture by pressing the "+" button...once will make the diagnostic info about 50% opaque and twice will make it about 20%. A third time will bring you back to 100%.

2. Go to the last page in the diagnostic menu (page 39)

3. Look at the SamSvcid/Type. It will show a number and "/Switched" if the channel you are tuned to is SDV (if it is not switched it will show "Broadcast")

4. The SDV Freq: will show a number depending on the SDV pool that gets assigned.

5. Change the channels and look to see what appears in the SamSvcid/Type location.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:42 PM   #2098
mgerenser
New TiVo Fanatic

Cool

Quote:
Mike - thanks so much for all the detailed info on installing a TiVo HD with TWC in Rochester. This helps a lot. I was told on the phone that they have the 'M' cards instead of two single cable cards per TiVo. Is that what you got?
Yes, they delivered m cards. In fact, the tech said he always brings along twice as many m cards, just in case one of them is not working. So he came armed with 4 of them, but the first 2 he installed worked just fine.

Quote:
I have a Series 2 TiVo and a SA 8300 now and could not agree more about what a piece of junk the SA 8300 is from TWC. TiVo has a way of spoiling you though. If a stop a playback of a recorded show in the middle on the SA 8300 and then continue watching it the next day, it can not even remember where I left off and I have to search for the position that I stopped at.
This was one of the most irritating things with the SA 8300. This would happen to my fiance and I several times a week. We'd start a show late at night and end up getting too sleepy to continue. Unfortunately, the dumb SA box wouldn't remember where we left off when morning came!

Quote:
BUT, the downsides of giving up my SA 8300 once I get the TiVo HD are:
- No more Caller ID on the TV for my Digital Phone calls.
- No more "Start Over" feature on some shows; although I can usually find another time to record the same show at a later time.
- No more free On Demand movies or channels.
Will have to keep a plain HD cable box for above features.
For me, these were non-issues because: I don't have a landline (cell phone only) and I never once used Time Warner's On Demand channels. I have Netflix, so between the discs in the mail and the instant streaming of Netflix videos on my TiVo, I'm all set with VOD. As for the start over feature, its nice, but I rarely used it. Besides, I updated one of my TiVos to a 1TB hard drive, so it is literally ALWAYS recording something. Everything I could ever want is being recorded, and I have no shortage of good content to watch. It lessens the need to "start over" if nearly everything I want to record is already being saved for me.

Quote:
1) Do you know which channels are in SDV format. Is it only the ones in the 1070's? How can I find this out?
I'm at work right now so I can't confirm with 100% certainty which channels are SDV, but the vast majority of them are (including the Food Network). The Time Warner Rochester network admin I spoke to said going forward, ALL new HD channels they add will be SDV.

Quote:
2) I have one annoying problem with my SA 8300 now that I am hoping is the SA 8300 and not the cable signal. The picture on HD channels sometimes pauses for about 2 or 3 seconds, but the sound continues; after 2 or 3 seconds the picture catches up. Have you ever had this problem and if yes, has it stopped with your new TiVo HD box?
I had this problem a couple times with my SA 8300, but it was random. I'm not a cable tech, so I'm just guessing here, but it could be a signal issue. Or it could be a glitch with the 8300. If it happens often, and on a certain channel, I'd report it to Time Warner. They'll send a tech out to your place for free to diagnose and (hopefully) fix it.

Quote:
3) Can you give me the approximate dimensions of the huge Cisco Tuning Adapter box?
The Cisco TA is about 12 inches wide x 8 inches deep x 1.75 inches tall.

Hope some of this helps.

Mike
Old 02-04-2009, 12:57 PM   #2099
mgerenser
New TiVo Fanatic

Quote:
on the TWC web site there was a link to request a free Tuning Adapter to be mailed to me and I submitted that request ... will see if they send it to me before even scheduling an appointment for the Tech to come and install the cable card(s).
It is my understanding that in our market, the Tuning Adapters are readily available. I'd ignore the web form and just call Time Warner Rochester directly once the CableCard is installed. They should be able to send you the Tuning Adapter immediately for delivery in 1-2 days. At least that was my experience.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:06 AM   #2100
lrhorer

Quote:
I'm in Rochester, NY and I just got 2 TiVo HD units a couple weeks ago. I was sick and tired of the awful SA 8300 from Time Warner and finally decided to spend the money on the TiVos. Best investment I ever made
I know! Can you believe that piece of turdware? Some spastic engineer must have been whacked out on quaaludes and cheap rum, and decided he would design the worst possible DVR, no doubt as a joke. Some moron of a marketing guy must have walked by, seen it, and thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Quote:
and I'm kicking myself that I didn't do it sooner!
I suffered through 9 months with an 8300HD, until the S3 was released. I didn't care it cost $1000 with lifetime service. I whipped out my credit card just as fast as I could.

Quote:
You understate the case. I'd rather have a tooth drilled with a dull bit and no anesthesia than go back to the 8300HD.