TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-02-2009, 12:24 PM   #91
norbertsf

THIS ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

Norbert
norbertsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:57 PM   #92
norbertsf

Ok, maybe spoke too soon.

First observations:

Pros:
1. Great! I can have content on an external drive and it is recognized!
2. I can organize content into folders!!!

1. Con so far:

The Aspect button DOES NOT WORK.
I tried the same movie via Tivo desktop (widescreen DVD RIP) and the Aspect button allows all 3 options (Panel, Zoom, Full).
With pyTivoX, I am stuck at Zoom (on a 4:3 TV)
Is there a fix for this?

Is this a pyTivo problem (will check online)?

Norbert
Old 01-02-2009, 02:32 PM   #93
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

The aspect button stops working when the TiVo thinks that aspect ratio of the program matches that of the screen. So, it thinks that either both are 16:9, or both are 4:3. To know which, I'd have to know what model of TiVo you're talking about, and how it's set under Settings > Video > TV Aspect Ratio.

And no, this isn't pyTivoX-specific, so we should probably continue this elsewhere. (I am however not ready to call it "a pyTivo problem" because we first have to establish that it's a problem.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 08:02 PM   #94
norbertsf

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
....I'd have to know what model of TiVo you're talking about, and how it's set under Settings > Video > TV Aspect Ratio.
The Tivo is a S3.
Video settings are set to "4:3 Classic Screen(4:3 only)"
(it's a 4:3 TV)

Quote:
And no, this isn't pyTivoX-specific, so we should probably continue this elsewhere. (I am however not ready to call it "a pyTivo problem" because we first have to establish that it's a problem.)
It's specific in this case because it's not happening in any other situation. I have no other "Aspect" issues and I am using no other PC->Tivo app (other than Tivo Desktp for OSX and "Aspect" works fine there)

I've installed pyTivoX because of the simple set-up, and the Tivo/pyTivoX interaction seems to be raising the issue.

If there is a Tivo S3 setting that would resolve this please let me (us) know.
If I have to adjust pyTivo settings ... then it defeats the purpose of pyTivoX (for me--simple set-up).

Thanks,
Norbert
Old 01-03-2009, 12:13 PM   #95
norbertsf

hmmm....

I tested some other widescreen .avi, .divx, and mpeg files, and those work fine with the aspect button.

Not sure why this particular movie is forced in to getting squeezed...

...so NOT a pyTivoX problem....

Thanks for the great Application!

Norbert
Old 01-09-2009, 05:32 PM   #96
tlrowley
Quilt Geek

This is really a cool program. I've been able to get it up and running with very little effort - just the type of program I like Kudos to the developer.

I'm getting a little confused about the settings that I should be using in my pytivo.conf file. If I'm using this on a Series 3, do I need to override the default configuration? If I leave the pytivo.conf file alone (basically empty) will I get the best possible transcoding? I have a fair amount of processing power available, so increasing the bitrates shouldn't be a problem.

The reason I was wondering about changing from the default levels is that I transferred a 720p mkv to the Series 3 and it was a bit choppy. What should I be tweaking to eliminate that problem?

Thanks for any pointers.
tlrowley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 12:40 AM   #97
diphosphine

I am having a problem getting pyTivoX to work. I downloaded the most recent version of pyTivoX and dragged the application to my applications folder. I established a shared directory with both .mov and .mp4 movies in it. I clicked the "Restart" button in pyTivoX. I find the shared folder on the Tivo and all of the movies are in it. However, when I try to play any of the movies I immediately get a message saying that "Transferring prohibited by the copyright holder" even for movies that I created myself. On my mac, a message always simultaneously pops up that says "The application ffmpeg has quit unexpectedly."

I have a Mac G4 Dual 1.25 GHz running 10.5.6 and a TivoHD. Does anybody have an idea of what the problem might be? Is there something else I should have done?

Thanks for any help.
diphosphine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 01:05 AM   #98
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrowley View Post
I'm getting a little confused about the settings that I should be using in my pytivo.conf file. If I'm using this on a Series 3, do I need to override the default configuration?
I believe the default setup is supposed to work on HDTVs fine. I'll let a developer jump in and comment though (I just wrote the front-end.. not the pyTivo script).

A quick heads-up though. If you change any of the settings (the easiest way is to connect to http://localhost:9032/ ), do not use the 'restart' button. (The restart button overwrites the config file and restarts the program). Just exit and run the program when you need a restart...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Yoav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 01:10 AM   #99
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by diphosphine View Post
I have a Mac G4 Dual 1.25 GHz running 10.5.6 and a TivoHD. Does anybody have an idea of what the problem might be? Is there something else I should have done?
It sounds like ffmpeg is crashing when trying to transcode the files to mpeg-2 streams for your tivo. I don't have a powerPC mac to test with, but it's possible that I failed to build ffmpeg correctly for it... Can you do me a favor and open up a Terminal.app and run

Code:
tail -20 /tmp/pyTivoX.log
/Applications/pyTivoX.app/Contents/Resources/ffmpeg
and then cut/paste the output here?

Old 01-11-2009, 01:24 AM   #100
diphosphine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoav View Post
It sounds like ffmpeg is crashing when trying to transcode the files to mpeg-2 streams for your tivo. I don't have a powerPC mac to test with, but it's possible that I failed to build ffmpeg correctly for it... Can you do me a favor and open up a Terminal.app and run

Code:
and then cut/paste the output here?
Okay, here's the output, I think (I'm new to terminal and to posting!):

INFOyTivoyTivo is ready.
/Applications/pyTivoX.app/Contents/Resources/pyTivo-wgw/Cheetah/Compiler.py:1508: UserWarning:
You don't have the C version of NameMapper installed! I'm disabling Cheetah's useStackFrames option as it is painfully slow with the Python version of NameMapper. You should get a copy of Cheetah with the compiled C version of NameMapper.
"\nYou don't have the C version of NameMapper installed! "
10.0.1.197 - - [10/Jan/2009 22:28:58] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=QueryContainer&Container=%2F HTTP/1.0" 200 -
10.0.1.197 - - [10/Jan/2009 22:29:25] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=QueryContainer&Container=%2F HTTP/1.0" 200 -
10.0.1.197 - - [10/Jan/2009 22:29:55] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=QueryContainer&Container=%2F HTTP/1.0" 200 -
10.0.1.197 - - [10/Jan/2009 22:29:58] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=QueryFormats&SourceFormat=video%2Fx-tivo-mpeg HTTP/1.1" 404 -
10.0.1.197 - - [10/Jan/2009 22:29:58] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=QueryContainer&Container=pyTivo%20Share& SortOrder=Title&ItemCount=8&Filter=x-tivo-container%2Ftivo-videos,x-tivo-container%2Ffolder,video%2Fx-tivo-mpeg,video%2F* HTTP/1.1" 200 -
10.0.1.197 - - [10/Jan/2009 22:30:01] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=QueryFormats&SourceFormat=video%2Fx-tivo-mpeg HTTP/1.1" 404 -
10.0.1.197 - - [10/Jan/2009 22:30:02] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=QueryContainer&Container=pyTivo%20Share& SortOrder=Title&ItemCount=1&AnchorItem=%2FpyTivo%2520Share%2 FCoca%2520Cola.mov&AnchorOffset=-1&Filter=x-tivo-container%2Ftivo-videos,x-tivo-container%2Ffolder,video%2Fx-tivo-mpeg,video%2F* HTTP/1.1" 200 -
10.0.1.197 - - [10/Jan/2009 22:30:02] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=TVBusQuery&Container=pyTivo%20Share&File =%2FCoca%20Cola.mov HTTP/1.1" 200 -
10.0.1.197 - - [10/Jan/2009 22:30:04] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=QueryFormats&SourceFormat=video%2Fx-tivo-mpeg HTTP/1.1" 404 -
10.0.1.197 - - [10/Jan/2009 22:30:04] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=QueryContainer&Container=pyTivo%20Share& SortOrder=Title&ItemCount=8&AnchorItem=%2FpyTivo%2520Share%2 FCoca%2520Cola.mov&AnchorOffset=-2&Filter=x-tivo-container%2Ftivo-videos,x-tivo-container%2Ffolder,video%2Fx-tivo-mpeg,video%2F* HTTP/1.1" 200 -
10.0.1.197 - - [10/Jan/2009 22:30:07] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=QueryContainer&Container=%2F HTTP/1.0" 200 -
/Applications/pyTivoX.app/Contents/Resources/ffmpeg[Joe-Casalnuovos-Computer:~] jacasalnuovo% /Applications/pyTivoX.app/Contents/Resources/ffmpeg
Old 01-11-2009, 01:28 AM   #101
Yoav

Quote:
Okay, here's the output, I think (I'm new to terminal and to posting!):
I see the output of the first command (looks like pyTivo is running fine). I do not see the output of the second command though...

Make sure you hit return after typing it in... it should look something like:
Code:
FFmpeg version SVN-r16163, Copyright (c) 2000-2008 Fabrice Bellard, et al.
  configuration: --arch=i386 --disable-vhook --disable-shared --enable-static --enable-pthreads --disable-mmx --enable-gpl --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libfaac --enable-libfaad --enable-libx264 --enable-swscale --extra-cflags=-I/Users/yoav/src/lame/include -I/Users/yoav/src/faad2/include -I/Users/yoav/src/faac/include -I/Users/yoav/src/x264 --extra-ldflags=-L/Users/yoav/src/lame/libmp3lame/.libs -L/Users/yoav/src/faad2/libfaad/.libs -L/Users/yoav/src/faac/libfaac/.libs -L/Users/yoav/src/x264/
  libavutil     49.12. 0 / 49.12. 0
  libavcodec    52. 6. 3 / 52. 6. 3
  libavformat   52.23. 1 / 52.23. 1
  libavdevice   52. 1. 0 / 52. 1. 0
  libswscale     0. 6. 1 /  0. 6. 1
  built on Dec 15 2008 22:59:00, gcc: 4.0.1 (Apple Inc. build 5484)
At least one output file must be specified

Old 01-11-2009, 01:39 AM   #102
diphosphine

Quote:
I see the output of the first command (looks like pyTivo is running fine). I do not see the output of the second command though...

Make sure you hit return after typing it in... it should look something like:
Code:
FFmpeg version SVN-r16163, Copyright (c) 2000-2008 Fabrice Bellard, et al.
  configuration: --arch=i386 --disable-vhook --disable-shared --enable-static --enable-pthreads --disable-mmx --enable-gpl --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libfaac --enable-libfaad --enable-libx264 --enable-swscale --extra-cflags=-I/Users/yoav/src/lame/include -I/Users/yoav/src/faad2/include -I/Users/yoav/src/faac/include -I/Users/yoav/src/x264 --extra-ldflags=-L/Users/yoav/src/lame/libmp3lame/.libs -L/Users/yoav/src/faad2/libfaad/.libs -L/Users/yoav/src/faac/libfaac/.libs -L/Users/yoav/src/x264/
  libavutil     49.12. 0 / 49.12. 0
  libavcodec    52. 6. 3 / 52. 6. 3
  libavformat   52.23. 1 / 52.23. 1
  libavdevice   52. 1. 0 / 52. 1. 0
  libswscale     0. 6. 1 /  0. 6. 1
  built on Dec 15 2008 22:59:00, gcc: 4.0.1 (Apple Inc. build 5484)
At least one output file must be specified
Well, I may have handled entering the two commands in terminal originally in that I copied and pasted both commands (not realizing it was two) into terminal and that's the output I received. I just ran the second command by itself and this is what I got:

[Joe-Casalnuovos-Computer:~] jacasalnuovo% /Applications/pyTivoX.app/Contents/Resources/ffmpeg
Illegal instruction
[Joe-Casalnuovos-Computer:~] jacasalnuovo%

At the same time I got he window that I had seen previously that said "The application ffmpeg quit unexpectedly." I then tried again and got the same result.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:43 AM   #103
Yoav

Quote:
[Joe-Casalnuovos-Computer:~] jacasalnuovo% /Applications/pyTivoX.app/Contents/Resources/ffmpeg
Illegal instruction
[Joe-Casalnuovos-Computer:~] jacasalnuovo%
Ok well, the good news is we know why it's breaking (ffmpeg is crashing on powerPC). The bad news is I'm not sure why, and I don't have a powerPC machine to toy with .

Let me see if I can figure out what went wrong with the powerPC build...
Thanks for being patient with this

Old 01-11-2009, 01:54 AM   #104
diphosphine

Quote:
Ok well, the good news is we know why it's breaking (ffmpeg is crashing on powerPC). The bad news is I'm not sure why, and I don't have a powerPC machine to toy with .

Let me see if I can figure out what went wrong with the powerPC build...
Thanks for being patient with this
Wow! You're helping ME and thanking me for being patient?! You're some kind of nice guy! Whether you get if figured out or not thanks very much for your help and your prompt replies.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:01 AM   #105
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Perhaps your ffmpeg is built for G5 only? I'll try it on my G4 tomorrow.

And yeah, pyTivo works fine with both HD and SD units with the default config. (There are tweaks you could make, but to discuss that is a whole long thread in itself...)

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 03:13 AM   #106
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
Perhaps your ffmpeg is built for G5 only? I'll try it on my G4 tomorrow.

And yeah, pyTivo works fine with both HD and SD units with the default config. (There are tweaks you could make, but to discuss that is a whole long thread in itself...)
Yes it is (It's being fixed as we speak... just takes a while to build ... Was gonna post after I had something.. but yeah..
Look for the 1.1b1 build in about 30 mins.... It has a new build of ffmpeg that should work on G4 processors, and the latest updates to pyTivo from wmcbrine and wgw... I haven't tested anything though -- so you may be stepping on a bunch of bugs...

Old 01-11-2009, 03:41 AM   #107
Yoav

Ok took a little longer than I expected, but try downloading version 1.1b1, and tell me if it's working for you...

Old 01-11-2009, 09:26 AM   #108
gu014

Able to play HD?

Hello,
I shared some of HD files from my camcorder and when the transfer goes through it just hangs on a black screen.

Is pytivox compatible with HD files?

I used 'mac2tivo' from toast 10 and it transfers and plays just fine.

Any ideas?
gu014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 09:49 AM   #109
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by gu014 View Post
Hello,
I shared some of HD files from my camcorder and when the transfer goes through it just hangs on a black screen.

Is pytivox compatible with HD files?

I used 'mac2tivo' from toast 10 and it transfers and plays just fine.

Any ideas?
Do you know what format your camcorder records in? AVCHD? Do you have a sample file I can test with?

It *should* work, but obviously it isn't.

Old 01-11-2009, 10:09 AM   #110
gu014

Thank you for your reply!

Yes, the camcorder records in AVCHD(Canon HF100).

I'm not sure if it matters, but the files were imported using iMovie.

Here is a file:
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=7...db6fb9a8902bda
gu014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 10:23 AM   #111
Yoav

Quote:

Here is a file:
Ok ffmpeg is unhappy with the file (it says swScaler: Unknown format is not supported as input pixel format). I'll see if I can figure out what needs to be done...

Old 01-11-2009, 10:40 AM   #112
Yoav

Quote:

Here is a file:
Ok, the file isn't an avchd file (h.264). It is a quicktime Apple Intermediate Codec file. It sounds like iMovie converted it to a different format before saving it. I'm trying to see if I can find out what is required to make ffmpeg accept that as input, but in the meanwhile, is it possible for you to use a different output format from iMovie?

Update: There's very little info out there, but from what i can tell, ffmpeg does not (yet?) read AIC codec files. So the short version is: it can't use your movies.

On the other hand, the movie you have was generated from an original file that ffmpeg CAN read (avchd work in ffmpeg.. it's just the intermediate AIC file that iMovie generates to work with that ffmpeg can't). So either tell iMovie to export the file to a different format (h.264, or mpeg-2, or anything really), or don't use iMovie at all and just copy the original AVCHD files out...

Last edited by Yoav : 01-11-2009 at 03:47 PM.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:10 AM   #113
diphosphine

Quote:
Ok took a little longer than I expected, but try downloading version 1.1b1, and tell me if it's working for you...
I've tried the new version on my G4 Mac and it is working. ffmpeg is no longer quitting on me. I've been able to transfer .mp4, .wmv, .mpg and some .mov files. I have had some trouble with a couple of small .mov files that I had made in iMovie. They don't seem to transfer at all. On the other hand, a larger .mov file that I created in iMovie transfers well although it seems to be slower than other formats. I expect the latter issue is partly tied to my older system, but I'm wondering why the smaller movies didn't transfer. I'll try out more files later and let you know if I come across any bugs.

Thanks so much for your work on this. It's fantastic!
Old 01-13-2009, 10:48 AM   #114
Ladd Morse

Quote:
I am having a problem getting pyTivoX to work. I downloaded the most recent version of pyTivoX and dragged the application to my applications folder. I established a shared directory with both .mov and .mp4 movies in it. I clicked the "Restart" button in pyTivoX. I find the shared folder on the Tivo and all of the movies are in it. However, when I try to play any of the movies I immediately get a message saying that "Transferring prohibited by the copyright holder" even for movies that I created myself. On my mac, a message always simultaneously pops up that says "The application ffmpeg has quit unexpectedly."

Thanks for any help.
I have the exact same machine running the exact same Mac OS X running the exact same pyTiVoX *AND* I have the exact same "Transferring prohibited by the copyright holder" error and the exact same "The application ffmpeg has quit unexpectedly" error.

Coincidence? I think not!
Old 01-13-2009, 11:36 AM   #115
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladd Morse View Post
I have the exact same machine running the exact same Mac OS X running the exact same pyTiVoX *AND* I have the exact same "Transferring prohibited by the copyright holder" error and the exact same "The application ffmpeg has quit unexpectedly" error.

Coincidence? I think not!
Did you try the exact same solution of downloading the beta and using it instead?

Old 01-15-2009, 09:04 PM   #116
kas25

I just installed this and have to say the installation process and set up is great. Within minutes I could see all my home movies listed on my tivo. Started a transfer and the blue light went on. Tried to start watching and it said to wait. Waited several minutes and i still can't watch. One other show is taping on my S3. I didn't get an error upon transferring but I'm afraid its hangin or transfering very slowly if at all. Not other transfer issues in the past. Thanks.
kas25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:08 PM   #117
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas25 View Post
I just installed this and have to say the installation process and set up is great. Within minutes I could see all my home movies listed on my tivo. Started a transfer and the blue light went on. Tried to start watching and it said to wait. Waited several minutes and i still can't watch. One other show is taping on my S3. I didn't get an error upon transferring but I'm afraid its hangin or transfering very slowly if at all. Not other transfer issues in the past. Thanks.
Is your computer reporting any errors? Another show taping shouldn't have an effect. If you go back to your computer, open up a Terminal.app, and run
Code:
What does it say? Also, do you know what format your movies are in? And what kind of mac are you using?

The blue light generally indicates that the transfer is working, so I'd guess either the transfer is very slow, or the re-encoding is generating bad data. Do you see the movie in your Now Playing list?

Old 01-16-2009, 07:03 AM   #118
kas25

Quote:
Is your computer reporting any errors? Another show taping shouldn't have an effect. If you go back to your computer, open up a Terminal.app, and run
Code:
What does it say? Also, do you know what format your movies are in? And what kind of mac are you using?

The blue light generally indicates that the transfer is working, so I'd guess either the transfer is very slow, or the re-encoding is generating bad data. Do you see the movie in your Now Playing list?
The movie is in Mpeg 4 format and plays fine on my apple tv. I did see the movie in now playing but it went away and the blue light went off so I assume it failed. I am running an I Mac with Leopard which is a few years old but i do plenty of Handbrake/Visual Hub conversions which aren't exceedingly slow. I'll check the computer error log tonight but any other thoughts? Thanks.
kas25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 05:48 PM   #119
Yoav

a heads up to those who like helping to test out code:

The latest beta (you'll have to manually download it) adds support for streaming (using streambaby). If you're bold/brave and have an S3 or TivoHD, can you try it out please (the streams will be under Music, Photos, Showcases).
Need to know if things are broken before I push it out on the unwashed masses...

Be sure to hit the 'restart' button once you make a change in terms of what service you want to run

Old 01-21-2009, 06:33 PM   #120
tlrowley
Quilt Geek

So very cool - I tried playing around with streambaby earlier today, but I'm in the midst of a migraine, and it wasn't going very well. I downloaded the newest pyTivoX and was streaming in minutes.

So very, very cool - thanks.
tlrowley is online now   Reply With Quote