TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-09-2009, 04:58 PM   #6121
riz

Hye guys, long time member, first time owner of Tivo! Had UltimateTv for my SD years.. then the last 2 years the painfully archaic and no way to upgrade the HDD comcast HDdvr! Movin on up, TivoHD for me, 1 week or so now!

Question: The picture quality actually seems worse than I remember than on my comcast DVR (3416) IS THAT POSSIBLE? (I don't have the other box any more so side by side is not possible, this is just from memory) I have not re calibrated my settings yet for the tivo (is there any way to get test patterns on tivo?) but first observations is that the picture was much darker and grainier... So after just visual re-calibration, it still seems that most all HD shows are grainy! Now comcast is not the king of PQ I know but I don't remember it being grainy like this, is that possibly my tivoHD doing this? I am using the same HDMI cable an input as with the 3416 so your thoughts are appreciated!

riz

Last edited by riz : 01-09-2009 at 05:49 PM.
riz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 10:23 PM   #6122
ravemonger

My Comcast experience was pretty good. I called up to place my cablecard order. The rep waived the $16 install fee, gave a free year of Starz and 6 free months of Digital Plus and HD. The tech came out today to install the M-Card. He took about 15 minutes to get it paired and tested and away he went.

All in all a great experience and everything is working perfectly.
ravemonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 12:58 PM   #6123
steveliv

ok, i've got a follow-up. comcast was supposed to be here today between 8:30am and 11am. it was around 11 am and they hadn't showed, no calls either. i called 1800comcast, and was transferred around. eventually i found out that the rep who i called on monday, accidentally made the appt for sunday. i told her that was an error, i would never schedule an appointment on sunday as i would be at church during 8:30 and 11. she said the rep must have put the wrong date on the order. she then told me the appt was still available on sunday, and i reminded her sunday was not going to work, as i would be at church. the next available date was next tuesday between 4pm and 7pm, and i agreed on that. i then asked her if she could give me a break on the install charge, because of the error on their part. she agreed to give me a $20 credit. so i guess my tivo will have to wait until tuesday for a nice cablecard
steveliv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 03:17 PM   #6124
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

Well, there is no joy in Mudville

The Comcast Contract installer arrived a half hour after his install window and spent an hour and 3 quarters trying to get either of two CCs to install. He left the second card in the slot and a Direct installer is supposed to arrive between 4 and 7.

Right now I get the broadcast channels and nothing more - limited basic would include CN8 and WGN (among others) but all I get are the SD and HD versions of the local broadcast channels on their proper Comcast channel numbers.

According to the TiVo techs, the first problem I have is the Status line on the CA screen says "Not Staged" and the SubExpireTime entry is N/A. She said this is a problem in the pairing process and Comcast has to fix it.

The Installer threw up his hands after the second card woudn't install any better than the first, but suggested that eventually things would "download" and maybe I'd be fine. I suggested once or twice that I could get the TiVo people on the phone with the Comcast people (but the person I spoke with on the TiVo CableCard hotline wasn't really any more helpful than to insist that the problem was Comcast's to fix).

EDIT:
From going through the TiVo CableCard troubleshooting pages, it appears that the CableCard is "paired" (CP Info screen shows "CP Auth Received") but not "activated" (CA Screen shows "Status: Not Staged"). Anybody know what that means?

Last edited by pdhenry : 01-10-2009 at 03:30 PM.
pdhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 03:46 PM   #6125
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdhenry View Post

The Comcast Contract installer arrived a half hour after his install window and spent an hour and 3 quarters trying to get either of two CCs to install. He left the second card in the slot and a Direct installer is supposed to arrive between 4 and 7.

Right now I get the broadcast channels and nothing more - limited basic would include CN8 and WGN (among others) but all I get are the SD and HD versions of the local broadcast channels on their proper Comcast channel numbers.

According to the TiVo techs, the first problem I have is the Status line on the CA screen says "Not Staged" and the SubExpireTime entry is N/A. She said this is a problem in the pairing process and Comcast has to fix it.

The Installer threw up his hands after the second card woudn't install any better than the first, but suggested that eventually things would "download" and maybe I'd be fine. I suggested once or twice that I could get the TiVo people on the phone with the Comcast people (but the person I spoke with on the TiVo CableCard hotline wasn't really any more helpful than to insist that the problem was Comcast's to fix).

EDIT:
From going through the TiVo CableCard troubleshooting pages, it appears that the CableCard is "paired" (CP Info screen shows "CP Auth Received") but not "activated" (CA Screen shows "Status: Not Staged"). Anybody know what that means?
I can practically guarantee you that fixing this issue has nothing to do with a tech being on site. But then, you probably know that. Presuming they have the CableCARD and Host ID's entered properly, your problems are most likely related to billing codes on your account not being properly entered.

I don't know if Comcasts tech support contracts are in any way subdivided specifically based on cable system or not, so this may not work for you, but the direct office number to a higher level service tech contractor that at least has been able to help me at my location is 866-812-6532. All I might suggest is just give it a try and see if they can help; this is a level they'd usually escalate CableCARD or other technical issues to.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 05:01 PM   #6126
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by riz View Post
Hye guys, long time member, first time owner of Tivo! Had UltimateTv for my SD years.. then the last 2 years the painfully archaic and no way to upgrade the HDD comcast HDdvr! Movin on up, TivoHD for me, 1 week or so now!

Question: The picture quality actually seems worse than I remember than on my comcast DVR (3416) IS THAT POSSIBLE? (I don't have the other box any more so side by side is not possible, this is just from memory) I have not re calibrated my settings yet for the tivo (is there any way to get test patterns on tivo?) but first observations is that the picture was much darker and grainier... So after just visual re-calibration, it still seems that most all HD shows are grainy! Now comcast is not the king of PQ I know but I don't remember it being grainy like this, is that possibly my tivoHD doing this? I am using the same HDMI cable an input as with the 3416 so your thoughts are appreciated!

riz
I am not a videophile by any means, but I do have two Series 3's and a Comcast DVR (the newer model) and I can't see any appreciable difference between the two in terms of PQ. Both have great PQ as far as I'm concerned. Just a data point for you...
Old 01-10-2009, 05:37 PM   #6127
Mystii

Wow... we got a Tivo HD just after the New Year and after reading this thread, I wasn't looking forward to having Comcast come out to do the cablecard installation. I was completely prepared for it to be a mess. Thankfully, I was wrong. I'm in the Chicago suburbs and I haven't read much good about cablecard installations here so I have to tell a good story.

The new Tivo arrived on Monday. We got it set up, software was refreshed, basic channels (2-100) came in just fine on both tuners. Called Comcast to order an M card and was told that they didn't have any but they could install two S cards. Fine, that would work. First available date was Friday (1/9). Installer was due here between 10 and 1. At 10:15am, I got an automated call to confirm that also told me his anticipated arrival was between 11:15am and 12:15pm. In spite of snow and messy roads, he arrived at 11:15am. He had two M-cards and multiple S cards with him. The first M card went in, Tivo recognized it... and then the wait for the person on the other end of the phone began. That took a bit of time. All told, it took 30 minutes for him to get through (he was disconnected once) but once he did get through, it was quick, easy and quite painless to have it paired up, initialized and working.

We confirmed that all channels were there, all pay channels were showing up, both tuners were working and as he left, I was re-running Guided Setup (as it recommended) and downloading new program data. YAY... I'm one happy camper.

This is the second time in a week we've had Comcast out here. The first time was to switch from AT&T to Comcast Digital Phone (after saying no for years, we finally switched and the total cost savings is amazing). That tech didn't know a lot about wireless routers, in spite of what he said. Thankfully, I'm a computer geek from way back, so I was able to reset the router correctly and get everything working again. He was not only on time though, he was actually early! He did do everything correctly except resetting the router, so it was a pretty painless visit.

The second, with the M Card install (which I was told they didn't have LOL) was truly painless. So, if just have hope. Not every installation story is a nightmare. Some of them truly are as easy as they should be. I didn't even hear a word about anyone not liking Tivo; I wouldn't have put up with it anyway. We're long-time Tivo addicts and it would be pretty darned hard to get me to give up any of our Tivos.

Hang in there in you're doing the same thing, it's not all doom and gloom.

- Mystii
Mystii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 06:48 PM   #6128
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

Well, the 4-7 tech never showed up.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:32 PM   #6129
b_scott
TiVo Fan

turns out the card's data number and host ID were already in use so it was conflicting. finally got someone who knew things today and took the card out, put it in slot #2, got a new ID, took it out, put it back in slot #1, and got a new ID. Then gave him that one and POOF it worked.

Advice for those with problems, try this!
b_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 10:32 PM   #6130
starmanj

I had three HD tivos installed with cablecards. Comcast is now chargin me $7.95 for the second and third cablecard. I called and pointed out their cablecard FAQ page
http://www.comcast.com/customers/faq...s.ashx?ID=2651
That clearly states each additional cablecard is $2.05. They said they raised their rates to $7.95. Isn't that illegal to advertise one fee and charge another? I can't return my HDtivos, but that sure is a bait-and-switch it seems.
Starmanj
starmanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 11:07 PM   #6131
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by starmanj View Post
I had three HD tivos installed with cablecards. Comcast is now chargin me $7.95 for the second and third cablecard. I called and pointed out their cablecard FAQ page
http://www.comcast.com/customers/faq...s.ashx?ID=2651
That clearly states each additional cablecard is $2.05. They said they raised their rates to $7.95. Isn't that illegal to advertise one fee and charge another? I can't return my HDtivos, but that sure is a bait-and-switch it seems.
Starmanj
I suggest you contact Comcast through the corporate office to get it resolved; that's likely simply yet another uninformed CSR you've spoken to.

...either through http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Cus...tomercare.html to Rick Germano or by email to ComcastCares, Frank Eliason's group, at We_Can_Help@cable.comcast.com.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:11 PM   #6132
hardax

just a quick note to let everyone know that my 2 S-Cards installed relatively smoothly yesterday! Thanks to the info I got here I was able to guide the technician on how to do the install correctly! Nice guy but totally clueless on what to do. Never the less all is well thanks to all the great info here. Thanks all!
hardax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 11:51 PM   #6133
Wiley1

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3 View Post
You will continue to see all of the clear QAM channels. Most likely you will NOT be able to see the analog channels at the edges of the extended basic trap (channel 35 or so) because those are usually mapped to digital channels which are encrypted.
If you don't know the answer, do you just make up a bunch of stuff?
Wiley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:08 AM   #6134
MisterWho

Quote:

EDIT:
I recently had my new Tivo HD installed with a motorola cablecard in ATL with little trouble as previously reported (had to call in and request initialization hit after tech left which worked instantly).

However, my grandmother also got a new Tivo HD and is having the same trouble as you have her Scientific Atlanta cablecard installed correctly (shes in an old Adelphia service area taken over by Comcast some time ago). She is missing several of the Digital Starter tier channels. Her card status is also "not staged." No one at Comcast can seem to get it working over the phone although they dont seem to know what there are doing (one rep even said they cant help with equipment that is not provided by Comcast... I reminded her we were talking about Comcast's own cablecard that is not working correctly.

If you get it fixed, I'd be interested in how.
MisterWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:26 AM   #6135
SnakeEyes

Hey guys, wanted to run something by you. Good friend of mine is a Comcast Houston customer and she got a note saying they are updating their equipment and that if she doesn't swap out her CableCard with their new one, she will lose access to a bunch of HD channels and won't be able to view future HD channels after Jan 20. Anyone know the story with this?

And the directions for installing the new card (for a TV) is to insert the new card and then wait 3-5 minutes for the channels to be defined. Is this normal for a TV and TiVo just has the usual extra pita for paring and crap?

Last edited by SnakeEyes : 01-12-2009 at 09:40 AM.
SnakeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:38 AM   #6136
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterWho View Post
If you get it fixed, I'd be interested in how.
I'm going to try calling the Customer Service line tonight and tell them that the card is installed but the account isn't set up correctly (I think that's where the troubleshooting pages send me). If I strike out there I'll try the Comcast Cares email.

I probably have a billing dispute developing because I gave my cable box back on the ~30th and I don't think they changed my plan in the interim. I'm paying for digital for HBO and I have basic on one set and not even that on the set with the cablecard TiVo.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:53 AM   #6137
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
I'm going to try calling the Customer Service line tonight and tell them that the card is installed but the account isn't set up correctly (I think that's where the troubleshooting pages send me). If I strike out there I'll try the Comcast Cares email.

I probably have a billing dispute developing because I gave my cable box back on the ~30th and I don't think they changed my plan in the interim. I'm paying for digital for HBO and I have basic on one set and not even that on the set with the cablecard TiVo.
Save yourself a headache. Just drop an email to the Comcast Cares group now describing your problem and give them your contact info and best times to reach you.

Old 01-12-2009, 12:00 PM   #6138
frankspin

If I have a cable card in my device but I cancel my subscription with Tivo, can I still use the Tivo with the cablecard but I just wont get the service features?
frankspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:07 PM   #6139
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankspin View Post
If I have a cable card in my device but I cancel my subscription with Tivo, can I still use the Tivo with the cablecard but I just wont get the service features?
You won't have guide data either.

You should be able to tune to channels and watch live and have use of the live buffers for trick-play use, but no program recording capabilities.

Old 01-12-2009, 03:47 PM   #6140
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

That was easy!

The direct Comcast installer came in this afternoon, spent about a minute on the phone with someone in "Connectivity" and suddenly I had all of my channels. Made it worthwhile to come home early...
Old 01-12-2009, 07:37 PM   #6141
jeffw_00

has anyone picked up the cable cards at their local office and had success?
/j
jeffw_00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 07:38 PM   #6142
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

Not possible here. I tried.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:19 PM   #6143
seanmcsean
Comcast H8r

I'm still knocking on wood, but my TiVo HD and cablecard are still working 100% well. Watched some comedies on CBS tonight and paused to finish up dinner. Came back and skipped all the commercials.

I love this thing!
seanmcsean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 08:21 PM   #6144
jeffw_00

What COMCAST's position on SDV?
Old 01-12-2009, 08:28 PM   #6145
cuyahoga

I was pleased that this weekend, Comcast installed an M-Card in my TiVo HD. It took 45 minutes since the cable installer unplugged the coax cable from my TiVo to check the signal strength/integrity/etc and forgot to plug it back into the TiVo.

Whoops.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:07 PM   #6146
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffw_00 View Post
What COMCAST's position on SDV?
Comcast uses SDV in some markets and provides free tuning adapters to TiVo users.

It does seem Comcast has slowed their original SDV plans and is now pursuing analog reclamation as a way to increase digital channels provided in various markets.

SDV had been planned to be deployed to about 15% of their markets by the end of 2008. Analog reclamation and going all digital was planned for about 20% of their markets by the end of 2008. I'm not sure what the actual numbers ended up being, though.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:13 PM   #6147
jeffw_00

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
Comcast uses SDV in some markets and provides free tuning adapters to TiVo users.

It does seem Comcast has slowed their original SDV plans and is now pursuing analog reclamation as a way to increase digital channels provided in various markets.

SDV had been planned to be deployed to about 15% of their markets by the end of 2008. Analog reclamation and going all digital was planned for about 20% of their markets by the end of 2008. I'm not sure what the actual numbers ended up being, though.
So Doug - they're -not- "slow releasing" the SDV units to increase their DVR rentals?
/j
Old 01-12-2009, 09:20 PM   #6148
drhankz

Quote:
The direct Comcast installer came in this afternoon, spent about a minute on the phone with someone in "Connectivity" and suddenly I had all of my channels. Made it worthwhile to come home early...
Like I said in previous posts - the Tech talks to people the end user
can not access. The results are USUALLY always better
drhankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:55 PM   #6149
ccarollo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffw_00 View Post
has anyone picked up the cable cards at their local office and had success?
/j
We picked up an M-card at our local (north Seattle) Comcast office and installed it just fine. Just a call in to Comcast to pair it and we were good to go.
ccarollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:37 AM   #6150
Wiley1

Quote:
Originally Posted by a68oliver View Post
I thiink you are mistaken. My Comcast rate card includes fine print that says the local HD stations are included in basic. And that is in fact what I receive. I received the local HD stations before I upgraded my service to full digital. My other Tivo without cablecards also receives the clear QAM local HD stations (without Tivo guide service).

What clear QAM stations are you worried about losing? If they are local HD stations, you shouldn't lose them. If they are other cable networks like ESPN, Discovery, CNN, etc., there is a chance they would be blocked by not being included in the channel map downloaded to the card. However, if they are in the channel map, you should continue to receive them.

On my system, all channels appear to be in the channel map I recieve. However, my cards are not authorized to decrypt all channels. I would be very surprised if you lose any clear QAM channels with the addition of cablecards.

YMMV
The day before the CC was scheduled, the Comcast tech called to warn me that that I would actually be losing channels because the "clear QAM" channels are not in the basic package. Either he right or he was being lazy.
I'm just asking if anybody here is able to get digital channel through the Tivo channel guide and how they did it.
Wiley1 is offline   Reply With Quote