Old 01-08-2009, 02:54 PM   #6091
seanmcsean
Comcast H8r

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post
Or Upgrading It

I upgraded mine to 1TB Internal now I have Tons and Tons of Space
Hehe.. Read my mind, friend.

I'm a sys admin for a living, so that's my first order of business.
seanmcsean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:57 PM   #6092
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmcsean View Post
Hehe.. Read my mind, friend.

I'm a sys admin for a living, so that's my first order of business.
I waited until my CableCard was working.

That way you won’t have to go through the Comcast MILL again.

The pairing info will be copied over to the new drive
drhankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:58 PM   #6093
gdprof27

Quote:
I was just checking so we can point the finger back at Comcast

Yeah... this second attempt has been weird as there seems to be nothing wrong with the card... it looked brand new and I have received no error messages associated with it.

It just seems to be waiting for the signal to be sent. I'm gonna have them ping it one more time tonight and then let the tech have at it tomorrow if it doesn't work.
gdprof27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:59 PM   #6094
seanmcsean
Comcast H8r

Exactly. I'm going to hold off for a week or two, just to make sure my current functioning cable card isn't just beginners luck.

All my channels come in *so far.* I'm going to make sure they come in just as well in two weeks before I order a brand spankin' new Hitachi HD.
seanmcsean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 03:05 PM   #6095
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmcsean View Post
Exactly. I'm going to hold off for a week or two, just to make sure my current functioning cable card isn't just beginners luck.

All my channels come in *so far.* I'm going to make sure they come in just as well in two weeks before I order a brand spankin' new Hitachi HD.
I have (5) DVRs with CableCard - once they work - they work.

Never had a problem once they are up and running - it has been
three years now.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:06 PM   #6096
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdprof27 View Post
Yeah... this second attempt has been weird as there seems to be nothing wrong with the card... it looked brand new and I have received no error messages associated with it.

It just seems to be waiting for the signal to be sent. I'm gonna have them ping it one more time tonight and then let the tech have at it tomorrow if it doesn't work.
My experience has been - when a Tech is there - the Operations
people usually get it right and it works. When Customers try - it
is usually a Circus Show.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:13 PM   #6097
gdprof27

Quote:
My experience has been - when a Tech is there - the Operations
people usually get it right and it works. When Customers try - it
is usually a Circus Show.
Indeed... I am Bozo.

gdprof27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 03:15 PM   #6098
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdprof27 View Post
Indeed... I am Bozo.

CALL it NIH
Old 01-08-2009, 06:49 PM   #6099
b_scott
TiVo Fan

Cablecard on new TivoHD still not picking up extended channels. Got it yesterday. It does all the basic ones but nothing above that. Even does the HD ones but again nothing above basic. Val: is returning "?" instead of "V" Also CCI: is 0x00 "?" instead of "S" and Auth is "MP" instead of "S". CP is "Enabled" instead of "Disabled". ActivePrg: is "1" and not "0"

This is comparing it to my working TivoHD box. Comcast Chicago.

I called and the girl reset the thing, but it changed nothing.
b_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 07:27 PM   #6100
crazi4tv

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post
Cablecard on new TivoHD still not picking up extended channels. Got it yesterday. It does all the basic ones but nothing above that. Even does the HD ones but again nothing above basic. Val: is returning "?" instead of "V" Also CCI: is 0x00 "?" instead of "S" and Auth is "MP" instead of "S". CP is "Enabled" instead of "Disabled". ActivePrg: is "1" and not "0"

This is comparing it to my working TivoHD box. Comcast Chicago.

I called and the girl reset the thing, but it changed nothing.
Val:? means the Headend has not been able to verify the Host ID is valid. In other words, the card is not paired.
Auth:MP means the channel you are tuned to is not subscribed for viewing.
CP:Enabled means the channel you are tuned to is Copy Protection enabled.
ActivePrg:1 means you are on tuner 1. ActivePrg:0 is tuner 2.

Basically, the card has not been paired or is paired incorrectly and the card has not been authorized to decrypt the channels you subscribe to.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:39 PM   #6101
b_scott
TiVo Fan

thanks a bunch, I'll call back armed with that info.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:41 PM   #6102
crazi4tv

Quote:
thanks a bunch, I'll call back armed with that info.
Let me know how it goes. Which channels do you get without the card? You should be able to get all of the analog channels without a card, just won't have the Guide data.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:51 PM   #6103
b_scott
TiVo Fan

called and she put in a ticket for the Cablecard group. they're calling back within 45 minutes.

I only get the basics (NBC/ABC/CBS/etc). My other TivoHD works fine.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:54 PM   #6104
crazi4tv

Did you run the channel scan with the card removed? Sometimes that helps.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:55 PM   #6105
b_scott
TiVo Fan

oh sorry, I meant to say I only have tried w/the card in. My only concern at this point is to get it working with the card, since all I watch is HD and I have no idea what the QAM channels are.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:05 PM   #6106
b_scott
TiVo Fan

apparently:

If the CableCARD is activated, but
not subscribed to this channel, you
will see Auth:N. (Another error
sometimes seen is Auth:MP, which
means that a message that is
supposed to be in the activation
stream coming from the headend is
missing.)
Old 01-08-2009, 08:17 PM   #6107
crazi4tv

Make sure when you talk to your provider again that you give them the Unit Address, Host & Data and that they VERIFY they have the same information in their system. Once the pairing information has been confirmed, they need to "initialize" the card.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:38 PM   #6108
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazi4tv View Post
Make sure when you talk to your provider again that you give them the Unit Address, Host & Data and that they VERIFY they have the same information in their system. Once the pairing information has been confirmed, they need to "initialize" the card.
YOU ARE ON THE RIGHT TRACK -- BUT May I suggest -- NOT
telling them the numbers. Let them tell the End User because
most of the time THEY have it wrong and even reading them
again - they overlook their mistakes.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:43 PM   #6109
crazi4tv

Thumbs up

Quote:
YOU ARE ON THE RIGHT TRACK -- BUT May I suggest -- NOT
telling them the numbers. Let them tell the End User because
most of the time THEY have it wrong and even reading them
again - they overlook their mistakes.
great idea!
Old 01-08-2009, 09:07 PM   #6110
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazi4tv View Post
great idea!
I suggest it because it has happened to me.

Once BURNED
Old 01-08-2009, 09:57 PM   #6111
b_scott
TiVo Fan

thanks for the advice! Just a comment, it's been two hours and no call.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:21 PM   #6112
crazi4tv

Quote:
thanks for the advice! Just a comment, it's been two hours and no call.
If a ticket was submitted, it is possible it has not been reviewed yet. When you were quoted 45 min, the rep could have been making a wild guess. I would recommend that you call back, ask to speak to a supervisor and ask that person to verify if the Host & Data (if they have the card paired) matches what you see on the pairing screen. If the pairing info is correct, ask that they initialize your card. Also ask them to verify that all the service codes on your account are correct. Let them know that you have researched this issue and the problem more than likely has to do with incorrect/missing Host & Data or the card was not properly authorized.

Be pleasant~my guess is that they would more than likely go out of their way for a pleasant caller rather than one who is yelling. (i'm not saying you would yell after what you have been through)
Old 01-08-2009, 11:13 PM   #6113
haldrogenbomb

Hi guys - On my last legs here, any help would be greatly appreciated. I received a TiVo HD DVR for Christmas. During the course of a Comcast visit to install my cablecard, the tech either a) broke the system by repeatedly yanking out the power cord from the back of the box or b) the system revealed that it was a dud by repeatedly green screening - but in any case, I had to return the unit. My latest unit won't pair to save its life - CC has been out two times, and each time they tell me it's paired successfully (despite the fact that I can't watch TV). Having studied the MMI screens on the TiVo support forum, I know for a fact it's not paired - I have no Val, I don't see the second paragraph of the Conditional Access screen, etc., etc., - but I cannot get Comcast to understand this to save my life! They're ADAMANT that it's been paired and that the problem is with TiVo.

I'm at my wits end here in San Francisco - contemplating returning the box, jettisoning Comcast, a variety of the two... each time I'm on the phone, I'm told they don't support TiVo, that there are other DVR options available.

I just read a post from another user in SF stating that she heard that the CC unit up here doesn't have its backend in order, but I haven't been able to get anyone to confirm that for me. TiVo support, while being more helpful than CC, is about ready to push off on me, too.

If anyone has any advice or suggestions, I'd love to hear them. Thanks for listening.

hal
haldrogenbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 11:53 PM   #6114
crazi4tv

Quote:
Originally Posted by haldrogenbomb View Post
Hi guys - On my last legs here, any help would be greatly appreciated. I received a TiVo HD DVR for Christmas. During the course of a Comcast visit to install my cablecard, the tech either a) broke the system by repeatedly yanking out the power cord from the back of the box or b) the system revealed that it was a dud by repeatedly green screening - but in any case, I had to return the unit. My latest unit won't pair to save its life - CC has been out two times, and each time they tell me it's paired successfully (despite the fact that I can't watch TV). Having studied the MMI screens on the TiVo support forum, I know for a fact it's not paired - I have no Val, I don't see the second paragraph of the Conditional Access screen, etc., etc., - but I cannot get Comcast to understand this to save my life! They're ADAMANT that it's been paired and that the problem is with TiVo.

I'm at my wits end here in San Francisco - contemplating returning the box, jettisoning Comcast, a variety of the two... each time I'm on the phone, I'm told they don't support TiVo, that there are other DVR options available.

I just read a post from another user in SF stating that she heard that the CC unit up here doesn't have its backend in order, but I haven't been able to get anyone to confirm that for me. TiVo support, while being more helpful than CC, is about ready to push off on me, too.

If anyone has any advice or suggestions, I'd love to hear them. Thanks for listening.

hal
Call your provider and ask to speak to a supervisor who has had experience with cablecards. Ask that person to read to you what they show is your Host & Data. if it is correct, ask them to send an "initialize" to the card. If the card receives it, "161-4" should display which means the card is resetting and should begin download the channels. go to the Test channel screen, and select it. You should see "no channels available" which means the channels are downloading. in a couple of minutes a channel should appear. browse through the channels and also check channels on the second tuner. I also recommend that they verify all service codes are correct including that your account has the right Headend code listed. If the screen gets stuck on "please wait...aquiring channels" for 10 mn or more, then the card is unable to aquire a channel map.

To have a successful installation 1. Know which type of card you need and install it in the correct slot. 2. follow the proper installation steps. 3. Verify your provider has entered the pairing information correctly. The proper authorization signal needs to be sent which in my opinion is and "initialization".
Old 01-09-2009, 07:53 AM   #6115
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by haldrogenbomb View Post
I'm told they don't support TiVo, that there are other DVR options available.

hal
As for OTHER DVRs - Comcast is referring to theirs which BTW - also
runs TiVo Software. So their claim of not Supporting TiVo is Bunkers.
Why do they sell their own DVRs - With CableCards - Running TiVo
Software?

My two cents of Advice are MAKE SURE TiVo Works first. It sounds
like you went straight for the install before getting TiVo Working.
I suggest ONE week of TiVo Working before a Tech and CableCard
show up.

Instructions on the TiVo website tells users to get everything right
before taking the next step.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:01 AM   #6116
terpdog

I do have a question. I have comcast in Carroll County Maryland. I noticed about a week or so ago some shows that didn't have the copy protection flag now have the flag. For christmas I got another TIVO with no cable card in it yet of course I can only record certain shows. Here is my question.

1st TIVO HD with Cable Card => I recorded a show on MTV at 9pm last night it had a copy protection flag so I couldn't download it. MTV is on I think channel 42 so it is analog.

2nd TIVO HD w/out Cable Card => I recorded the same show on MTV at 9pm. It did not have the copy protection flag. Exact same show at the exact same time. Only difference was the Cable Card.

I have noticed that pretty much anything I record from HBO/SHO and most of the HighDef channels are copy protected but anyone know what might have changed.

I've tried to call comcast but nobody knows anything. I do have a call into my local
cable commisioners office because maybe they know someone else I can call.

Any Ideas???
terpdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 11:55 AM   #6117
a68oliver

It is possible that the Tivo with the cablecard is remapping a digital simulcast of MTV to the old channel number. The Tivo without the cablecard continues to receive MTV on the original analog channel. Remapping digital channels to analog numbers saves the consumer from having to learn new channel assignments.

You can confirm some of this by checking some of the diagnostic pages. Also, if you tune to the channel on each of the Tivos and press the record button, you can tell if you are receiving a digital or analog channel. A digital channel will not have a record quality choice and the analog channel will let you change the recording quality.

This could explain the difference in the copy protection flags.
Tivo HD November 2007
a68oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:36 PM   #6118
PaulM-D

Quote:
Oh Yes They Can
To followup, I decided to check every channel I am entitled to and discovered that 22 were missing. I called Comcast again and they insisted that it might be a "bad CableCard" and that they would have to send a service technician out. OK - appointment scheduled for the weekend.

Last night, I decided to try calling again, and this time I got a CSR who seemed to have a good handle on things. He took the data down from the CableCard, put me on hold, then came back and read all the numbers back to me and confirmed that one of the numbers was not correct in their system (as previously mentioned I took the M-Card out of the TV and put it in the Tivo). He said he would send the new data to engineering and I should have all my channels back in 10-30 minutes.

Sure enough, they popped back on in about 15 minutes. Happy customer now and I save Comcast a service call.
PaulM-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 01:01 PM   #6119
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulM-D View Post

Sure enough, they popped back on in about 15 minutes. Happy customer now and I save Comcast a service call.
99% of the Problems are incorrect paring info.

Here is why End Users don't have good luck and Service Techs Do.

When you call - you talk to a CSR who honestly knows nothing about
CableCards, and pairing info and Provisioning [the official term for
what needs to be done]. That CSR - at best transcribes the info correctly.
Then they have to pass it on to someone who can actually do something
with it.

When a Tech comes to your home - they call ATS [Advance Tech Support].
The ATS team knows what to do and are at the NOC [Networks Operations
Center] where they can enter the paring info and provision the CableCard
for service.

A End User can never get to ATS directly - therefore the whole CableCard
process because a circus of who drops the ball or messes things up.

We are glad to hear you are up and running
Old 01-09-2009, 04:50 PM   #6120
CharlesH

Quote:
Here is why End Users don't have good luck and Service Techs Do.

When you call - you talk to a CSR who honestly knows nothing about CableCards, and pairing info and Provisioning [the official term for what needs to be done]. That CSR - at best transcribes the info correctly. Then they have to pass it on to someone who can actually do something with it.

When a Tech comes to your home - they call ATS [Advance Tech Support]. The ATS team knows what to do and are at the NOC [Networks Operations Center] where they can enter the paring info and provision the CableCard for service.

A End User can never get to ATS directly - therefore the whole CableCard process because a circus of who drops the ball or messes things up.
I recently had to have my cablecards re-paired due to replacing the hard drive in my Series3. I just called the phone number on the cablecard pairing screen, told the person who answered that I had to re-pair my cable cards. She took the cablecard, host ID, and Data numbers, short pause, told me to look again, the card showed proper pairing. Repeat for cable card #2, and I was done in ten minutes. If she had to call someone else to actually enter the numbers, she sure had a good hotline to them.
CharlesH is offline   Reply With Quote