TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-07-2009, 08:17 PM   #6061
unko

I wanted to share my (good!) installation experience with the forum.

I've been reading the forum for a while now and after reading about the difficulties with CableCards, I approached installing my TiVo with trepidation...

In anticipation of my TiVo arriving today, I went to my local Comcast office on Monday to pick up a CableCard. When I asked for it, the woman at the office knew exactly what I wanted, and handed over a brand-new M-card. She also told me that in this market (Seattle) they only offer M-cards, and not S-cards.

Tonight I went through the guided setup, then called Comcast to pair and activate the card. The CSR asked for the serial number/host/data and put me on hold. A few minutes later, she came back and told me that I was all set.

I crossed my fingers and started testing channels while still on the line with her. Everything is working! All my channels, including my premium channels are coming through just fine! Total time on the phone: about 15 minutes.

Sometimes, it works just like it's supposed to. I do consider myself lucky!
unko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:33 PM   #6062
ccarollo

So....not impressed with TiVo's ability to give me useful messages so far.

I ran the guided setup, then did my CableCARD install. The Comcast person I talked to seemed to think everything went fine on her end, but I couldn't tell any difference on mine. I tried to just change to a new channel, but the TiVo kept insisting that I re-run the guided setup. Fine by me, so I try to do that, and it gives me a "This option is temporarily unavailable because teh TiVo HD DVR is in the process of connecting to the TiVo service. When the connection completes, you'll be able to access this option."

Well, I don't even know what "connecting to the TiVo service" means, or how long it's going to take. It's not particularly "temporarily" because it's been like this for 10+ minutes now. Is it stuck like this forever? Am I actually going to get out of it? Why can't I cancel this "connecting" business since I'm going to do the initial setup again anyways?
ccarollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:56 PM   #6063
sarsah

Check to see what software version your Tivo currently has - it's listed under 'system information'. As I understand it, It needs to be version 11 or higher.

Mine is running version 11 and the Tivo support told me I was getting the the 161-1 error because the cable card is bad. Comcast is coming out (again) tomorrow to (hopefully) bring me a new card.

I am in ATL and was told that they do not have multi-channel cards. The tech arrived with two cards he he said were multi-channel, but they were instead single-channel cards. We'll see what they bring tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by laboramus View Post
Just got my TivoHD, and picked up CableCard from Comcast, and of course it did not work. Gives 161-1 error. Neiher comcast people nor Tivo support had any idea about what 161-1 is, even though Tivo support page says "This hotline is answered by agents who are specially trained in troubleshooting CableCARD issues. If the information in this article does not solve your issue, please give them a call." Looks like the training did not include actually getting to know one of the most frequent - apparently - error codes. I redid the guided setup, I called Comcast, I called Tivo 3 times, nothing helped and nobody really sounded as they even knew what I was talking about at all.
Finally I got the advice of getting a new card - which I will, but what if it would do the same? It looks really frustrating to have to go to Comcast each day for a new card and try them all out for a chance to get a working one. Comcast BTW told me they are giving me M-Card, but gave me S-Card. It didn't work anyway but I wonder if there's any way to know next time - looks like local reps don't know too much about it too.
I was really excited to get TivoHD, but now I'm thinking maybe I have to go back to my Series2 and wait until Tivo and cable companies figure it out - it looks like you have to be really lucky to just get this thing to work.

sarsah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:18 AM   #6064
MisterWho

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarsah View Post
Check to see what software version your Tivo currently has - it's listed under 'system information'. As I understand it, It needs to be version 11 or higher.

Mine is running version 11 and the Tivo support told me I was getting the the 161-1 error because the cable card is bad. Comcast is coming out (again) tomorrow to (hopefully) bring me a new card.

I am in ATL and was told that they do not have multi-channel cards. The tech arrived with two cards he he said were multi-channel, but they were instead single-channel cards. We'll see what they bring tomorrow
See my posts above, I am in ATL and just had my multistream card installed last Sat. You're right, the phone reps insist you need two cards for your tivo (I think they are trained on Series 3 tivos needed two cards but if, like me, you have a tivo hd then you can use just the one multistream card). I just told them to please make a note that the installer bring multistream cards and that I'd rather postpone my appt if they are out of them at the moment (didn't want to pay extra $2 month for 2nd card). Luckily, the installer showed up with a mcard and installed with very little trouble. Be aware, I did have to call a couple hours later and request an initialization hit as I was not getting all my channels. This took seconds and been working great all week. I did tell them the installer told me to ask for this initialization if all channels did not show up (he didnt, I learned that from these posts but I get the feeling they dont like you to know more than they do)
MisterWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:31 AM   #6065
gear

My cablecard installation was a couple of years ago and it went fine and is still working quite well.

My issue is the cost of renting them from Comcast. I think they charge an awful lot of money for this rental. Oh it doesn't seem like much for one month, but month after month it is adding up to quite a tidy sum. If I could purchase the cablecards but chose to rent them I could see paying what I do.
gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:46 AM   #6066
PaulM-D

Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep an eye out, although everything is still fine this morning.

Removal and reinsertion multiple times on the TV over the past couple years has never changed the pairing. As a matter of fact, when the channels have disappeared in the past with the card was in the TV, pulling and reinserting is what Comcast support recommended.

There are two channnels in my lineup that are not coming through though - Mojo is just blank - perhaps a programming problem. And GolfHD - the screen comes up to call Comcast about programming. I have seen that on some premium channels in the past.

I'll continue to keep an eye on it. The pairing to a slot thing always seemed a bit odd to me. Do M-Cards auto-pair to the slot? Obviously Comcast cannot read the card remotely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post
Give it another 24 hours.

I don't know at what interval Comcast sends out KEYING info.

But the Next time they send out Keying info - your card with
STOP working - I predict - unless TiVo is doing something
Strange.

In my Non-TiVo DVR's - Even a removal and insertion of a
CableCard into the exact same BOX changes the PAIRING info.

PaulM-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:41 AM   #6067
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

Removing and re-inserting in the same slot is not the same as removing from one device and inserting into another device.
pdhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:46 AM   #6068
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulM-D View Post
Obviously Comcast cannot read the card remotely.
Oh Yes They Can
drhankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:49 AM   #6069
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdhenry View Post
Removing and re-inserting in the same slot is not the same as removing from one device and inserting into another device.
One piece of pairing data changes every time if in the same box.

And a Bunch of Pairing Data changes from box to box.

Maybe Comcast has Stopped using the one piece of pairing
data that changes from removal and insertion back into the
same box.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:51 AM   #6070
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdhenry View Post
One thing I have never checked is the pairing info between
my TiVo and my Sony DVR. It is possible the Sony DVR
reports more pairing info than TiVo.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:51 AM   #6071
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
One piece of pairing data changes every time if in the same box.

And a Bunch of Pairing Data changes from box to box.

Maybe Comcast has Stopped using the one piece of pairing
data that changes from removal and insertion back into the
same box.
I'm not aware of any CableCARD data that changes if you remove and reinsert a CableCARD into the same slot of the same device, powered on or powered off.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:53 AM   #6072
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
I'm not aware of any CableCARD data that changes if you remove and reinsert a CableCARD into the same slot of the same device, powered on or powered off.
See my Above Post - I have both Sony DVRs and TiVo's.

I KNOW for sure there is one piece the Sony Reports.
I forget the name of the parameter.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:12 AM   #6073
b_scott
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post
i'll try taking it out again - it used to be too low, but yes i've used the signal level in the Tivo which is why I know it's at around 90%. I'll let you know if/when I test that out. Thanks.
took out the booster and I'm still getting the pixelization. It's just random noise, usually in a line, in the middle of shows. Sometimes it includes an audio drop out, sometimes not.

I just got a new TivoHD for the bedroom and a new HDTV for the bedroom as well. I'll see if I get the same thing on that one, after a few days. If I don't, maybe it's the cablecard.
b_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 11:33 AM   #6074
Tmonkey

I just had Comcast in Alexandria VA install a multistream CC last night. It took him ten minutes and went well.

I asked the cable guy if his noticed an increases in people getting rid of the Comcast DVR and getting the CCs for Tivo. He said he's noticed a huge increase in the number of cards he's been installing in the last six months.
Tmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 01:43 PM   #6075
rwcmom

Cable Card Error DVR can not acquire channels-Day 8

Thought I would share my unfortunate experience and end result with Series 3 & Comcast multistream cable card install. We purchased a new HD TV and thought it was time to upgrade to Tivo HD.
Similar to the many posts here, I attempted a self install. I went through 3 cable cards on my own phoning tech support numerous times. Each time I was told by Ccast "the card was paired on our end". Meanwhile several calls to Tivo tech support insisted the card was not paired and I continue to receive what my kids angrily call the "spinning peppermint wheel of death" as the dvr painfully attempts to acquire a cable signal.

After 8 days of nightly phone calls, I finally had a Ccast tech out last night. He went through 2 more cards before phoning dispatch. He was promptly told by "dispatch" that the known software issue from Dec '08 (which allows Comcast to send and receive signals to the card) is still not resolved. No cards can be paired due to this. This problem apparently spans San Fran to Monterey in CA. It is not the card, it is not Tivo, it is the lack of organization within Comcast to get their software up to speed.

When I asked the tech what my options were, I was told the following:
1.-I could go back to the old Series 2 Tivo set up and receiver box that I had before
or
2.-Purchase the Comcast HD DVR - their DVR has the hardware installed so there is no card issue. Unfortunately, they are out of stock, no eta
or
3.-Wait for Ccast to resolve the issue. I would be put on a "list" and the supervisor would phone me when the issue was resolved and set up a time for install

We have not decided what option we will go with yet. It really burns me up when I think of the wasted time, energy and expenses caused by Comcasts failure to communicate with the public and their own support people!

It's actually kinda nice to have a quiet house with no tv in the background.
hmmmmm, could this be option 4?

Last edited by rwcmom : 01-09-2009 at 05:15 PM.
rwcmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:13 PM   #6076
gdprof27

Update on my story...

Went back to Comcast here in Montgomery County and swapped M-Cards. Went through the hole process and had the same result. I am only able to receive my local HD channels... that's it.

There is one change. With the first M-Card, the pairing screen flashed an Authorization Failure 1200 error message... whereas now, the pairing screen is prompting me to contact my provider to start cable service. I have been assured by CC Tech that the pairing signal was in fact sent out but I still only get those five local HD channels.

I have a tech coming tomorrow to give it another go.
gdprof27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:15 PM   #6077
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdprof27 View Post

I have a tech coming tomorrow to give it another go.
I'm sure the TECH will get it up and running tomorrow.

The current condition is a pairing problem for sure.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:18 PM   #6078
drhankz

Quote:
Update on my story...
I forgot to ASK - is your TiVo connected to the Internet
so that it can UPDATE the TiVo Software????
Old 01-08-2009, 02:21 PM   #6079
gdprof27

Quote:
I forgot to ASK - is your TiVo connected to the Internet
so that it can UPDATE the TiVo Software????
Yes...ethernet direct connection.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:25 PM   #6080
drhankz

Quote:
Yes...ethernet direct connection.
Then by now the TiVo should have updated!

It does recognized you as a subscriber?
Old 01-08-2009, 02:31 PM   #6081
gdprof27

Quote:
Then by now the TiVo should have updated!

It does recognized you as a subscriber?
There hasn't been anything like that displayed. When I bring up the cableCARD pairing screen it gives me the pertinent data information (SN, MAC, Data, Host ID, etc.) but at the top it says, "Contact your cable provider to begin service".

I followed those instructions and called and had the information sent... there was no change. Are you saying that the problem could have rectified itself while I was asleep and have been at work?
Old 01-08-2009, 02:36 PM   #6082
drhankz

Quote:
There hasn't been anything like that displayed. When I bring up the cableCARD pairing screen it gives me the pertinent data information (SN, MAC, Data, Host ID, etc.) but at the top it says, "Contact your cable provider to begin service".

I followed those instructions and called and had the information sent... there was no change. Are you saying that the problem could have rectified itself while I was asleep and have been at work?
I was just asking if your TiVo box knows you are a TiVo Subscriber
so that it can update the TiVo software.

Totally separate from the CableCard issue.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:37 PM   #6083
seanmcsean
Comcast H8r

Comcast just left my house after installing my M card. *Knocks on wood*

Everything seems to be working well now.. All my channels come in. Everything looks like it is working!!

*Knocks on wood again*

Provided I don't have any more problems, I have to say comcast did this correctly!

*Knocks on wood a third time*
seanmcsean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:40 PM   #6084
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmcsean View Post

*Knocks on wood a third time*
You should be TiVo HAPPY NOW
Old 01-08-2009, 02:40 PM   #6085
gdprof27

Quote:
I was just asking if your TiVo box knows you are a TiVo Subscriber
so that it can update the TiVo software.

Totally separate from the CableCard issue.

My bad!

Yes, TiVo is hooked up and my subscription information is in there.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:42 PM   #6086
seanmcsean
Comcast H8r

Quote:
You should be TiVo HAPPY NOW

Again, I'm going to wait a few days before I make the final verdict, but provided everything keeps working, Comcast hit a home run with my installation.

OT: I see you used that graphic from rx8web.. You a fellow mazda enthusiast?
Old 01-08-2009, 02:43 PM   #6087
drhankz

Quote:
My bad!

Yes, TiVo is hooked up and my subscription information is in there.
I was just checking so we can point the finger back at Comcast
Old 01-08-2009, 02:44 PM   #6088
drhankz

Quote:
Again, I'm going to wait a few days before I make the final verdict, but provided everything keeps working, Comcast hit a home run with my installation.

OT: I see you used that graphic from rx8web.. You a fellow mazda enthusiast?
I just use the jumping face - I have no Mazda like or dislike.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:46 PM   #6089
seanmcsean
Comcast H8r

Quote:
I just use the jumping face - I have no Mazda like or dislike.
Dang.. I was kind of hoping you were a mazda guy too.

Alas, I'm wasting time on the internet! Time to start filling up that HD TiVo with some high quality discovery channel content.

Old 01-08-2009, 02:52 PM   #6090
drhankz

Quote:
Dang.. I was kind of hoping you were a mazda guy too.

Alas, I'm wasting time on the internet! Time to start filling up that HD TiVo with some high quality discovery channel content.

Or Upgrading It

I upgraded mine to 1TB Internal now I have Tons and Tons of Space