TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > TiVo Search Feedback - Beta Release (Archive)
TiVo Community

Forum Jump

Old 01-07-2009, 12:08 PM   #1
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Any plans to make some of the private APIS for this Public!?

The thing I am struck by on further reflection on this --
TiVo is scheduling one off shows via the HME app complete with conflict notice (at least from what I read so far).

If this is the case is there any talk at TiVo of making some of thee APIs public so 3rd party HME developers can make use of them as well?

is there talk at TiVo of expanding this into an HME app that can talk between Tivo DVRs to do some cooperative scheduling?
Old 01-07-2009, 03:56 PM   #2
jhimmel

While that would open up some new possibilities, it is highly unlikely that you would get a real answer to that question.

At least they know now that you are interested.

Jim H.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:13 PM   #3
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhimmel View Post
At least they know now that you are interested.

Jim H.
TiVo started off great with HME, with active internal developer participation, then eventually all communication and updates dried up. It's clear they've added a lot into the internal capabilities of the HME client and developed more advanced libraries for serving it as well. TiVo really needs to address the fact that they've got a very outdated public SDK. If they're not releasing any more code or publicly documenting the protocol, at least put a statement on the sdk site acknowledging that people shouldn't expect anything else.

On the positive side of things, there's still interest in HME development and I think you'd see a lot more active development if TiVo put some updated code and documentation out, and had a developer or two participating on the forums or mailing lists.

http://tivohme.sourceforge.net/
Old 01-07-2009, 05:21 PM   #4
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

This doesn't look like a new HME thing anyway. It's just an HME app talking to a TiVo Inc. server that has your data. That's why you have to opt in to use it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:53 PM   #5
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
This doesn't look like a new HME thing anyway. It's just an HME app talking to a TiVo Inc. server that has your data. That's why you have to opt in to use it.
That's true. Nonetheless, they *could* be more open with their apis and still maintain a degree of control for security and such with a some careful implementation choices. Or...they could at least acknowledge if they won't be updating the sdk or otherwise providing support to outside developers.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:03 PM   #6
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Do you think they check for conflicts while scheduling from that server as well? I can understand not opening that server to public use, I would just hope that Tivo sees the interest in updating the public SDK with some of the added APIs and such.
At the very least having the official way to do HD screens would go a long way
This is in Beta now so it would be wise to wait some anyway and see if anything needs ironing out. Seems a good time though to ask for an updated SDK.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:40 PM   #7
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo View Post
Do you think they check for conflicts while scheduling from that server as well?
Yes. That's exactly why you have to opt in (though perhaps not the only reason).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:49 AM   #8
honus

Opt in? I didn't opt in. I just started using it.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:42 AM   #9
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by honus View Post
Opt in? I didn't opt in. I just started using it.
you opted in when using the older Swivel Search most likely
Old 01-08-2009, 09:46 AM   #10
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Yes. That's exactly why you have to opt in (though perhaps not the only reason).
I don't think the server knows anything about conflicts, otherwise remote scheduling could tell you instantly if there was a conflict instead of the way it works now.

I'm wondering if TiVo Search is actually using HME to do scheduling or if somehow takes advantage of the instant messaging feature to do the scheduling.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:00 AM   #11
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
I don't think the server knows anything about conflicts, otherwise remote scheduling could tell you instantly if there was a conflict instead of the way it works now.

I'm wondering if TiVo Search is actually using HME to do scheduling or if somehow takes advantage of the instant messaging feature to do the scheduling.
yah, I am still not convinced one way or the other on how scheduling works. though now that I thought some more - it would be better if the conflicts are found on the Tivo Server as that means you caould add the "schedule on another DVR" feature to this "search" tool and get instant feedback on conflicts for that OTHER DVR. that would be way cool.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:27 PM   #12
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
Traditional remote scheduling is designed in such a way that it doesn't require opting in.