TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > TiVo Search Feedback - Beta Release (Archive)
TiVo Community

Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:04 PM   #1
bkdtv

How would you change TiVo Search?

Last updated: January 18.

This is your chance to influence the direction of TiVo Search and potentially the future of the entire TiVo interface.

How would you change or improve TiVo Search?

Requested Features & Interface Changes
  1. Netflix integration with the ability to directly select and add programs to the Netflix queue -- TiVo response

2. Alternative text input method (using number keys / T9 / Zune Marketplace scrolling input) If you aren't familiar with Zune Marketplace search, click the link - it's 39 seconds in

The name of the current search method would be indicated in smaller letters below the word "Search." Switching between search input methods could be done with:

1. default input selection on Search Options;

2. a thin vertical bar running up the left side of the screen, with selections for "Keyboard" (default), "Numeric" (like a cell phone), and "Scroll" (like Zune Marketplace Search); or

3. a toggle between input methods using a button on the remote, such as Aspect or Thumbs+/Thumbs-.

3. Index sports teams in search and create a main page for every major sports team, just as you do for actors and series.

When you search on Lakers, you could select the "Los Angeles Lakers" team page. This would include an Upcoming menu with a list of all upcoming games for that team. The user could also create a wishlist to record all new games.

For college teams, you could add Upcoming plus a separate menu to list all upcoming games for other teams in the same conference. You could call this "Related Events," "Conference Games" or "Division Games," or something more specific like "Upcoming Big12" or "Upcoming Big10."

4. Index all episode titles, so when you input the name of a specific episode, you get the name of the show with the episode name in parenthesis. By default, partial matches would be prioritized last. For example, searching on "Return to Sender" would return "Dexter (Return to Sender)" in search results. If necessary to avoid clutter, you could display episode title matches only when more than X characters are entered.

This function would be extremely useful for searching many types of documentary-type shows, which have a generic, non-descriptive title. On these programs, the episode title often serves as the descriptive title. A user may remember all or part of the episode title, but not the program title.

5. When setting up a WishList from a search, provide the option to specify HD only.

If possible in a future version of the TiVo software, add additional wishlist categories like "Prefer HD" (to record the HD version of a program if both SD and HD versions exist, but still record SD version if no HD version exists) and "SD only" or "Ignore HD."

6. On movies, add a "Credits" menu below the "Cast" menu. The "Credits" menu would show the director, producers, and writers.

7. Allow users to search on actors when the filter is set to display only free / recordable programs.

8. On the initial search screen -- before the user actually performs a new search -- reserve the first two spaces on the top-bar for "TiVo Daily Picks - <Date>" and "Most Popular on TiVo <Week of X/XX - X/XX >." Clicking select on "TiVo Daily Picks" would show the daily picks for the day. Selecting "Most Popular" would display the 25 most-recorded shows. This is the same information on TiVo.com -> Find TV Shows.

In Search Options, the user would be given the option to hide Daily Picks and Most Popular.

9. Make it easy to find season premieres

• Dedicate one of the first squares on the top-bar to a "Season Premieres on TiVo" graphic. Selecting this would show a list of all pilots and season premieres upcoming in the next two weeks. Only show this graphic if there are upcoming season premieres that the user can actually receive (i.e. they get the channel). In Search Options, the user would be given the option to hide the "Season Premieres" square, just as they could hide Daily Picks and Most Popular.

• Dedicate 1-2 squares in the shows that have their pilot or season premiere in the next two weeks. Only prioritize season premieres that the user can actually receive (i.e. they get the channel).

• Differentiate season premieres in the top banner in some way, such as NEW SERIES or NEW SEASON text overlayed on the series image.

• Allow the user to search on "season premiere" -- search results would list all series with a first-run pilot or season premiere showing in the next 14 days

10. Add "Save these Options" to Search Options allowing the user to keep their filters and sorting options whenever they exit the program.

11. Provide the "Youtube Search" option for actors

12. When a specific episode selected through Episode Guide is not showing in the next 14 days, give the option to create a wishlist for that episode.

13. Search recorded lists across multiple TiVos to support "Watch Now (MRV)" for shows stored on another box in the home.

14. Much like remote scheduling, add a selection for "Use this TiVo: " to the Season Pass Options and Record Options screens. If the user only has one TiVo in their home, this option would be grayed out and indicate the current DVR. If the user has more than one TiVo, then the user would be able to choose the DVR where they want to record the program.

Furthermore, if there is a conflict with a new recording on the selected TiVo, then you might give the user the option to schedule the recording on a different DVR.

15. On movies, show ratings from RottenTomatoes.com; this would take the form of the RT logo followed by either a % or a 1-10/10 rating.

16. Allow users to vote thumbs up / down to the suggestions at the top of the screen; shows given a thumbs down would not be suggested again in the banner bar.

17. In Search Options, include the setting to "Exclude programs rated with with Thumbs-down" from search results. That way, results for the user could become more tailored over time as they rate programs.

18. On the program screen, add a separate menu for movie reviews / awards (if and only if such information is available)

19. When a program is part of a guru guide, consider adding a link or a menu for "Guru Guide." This could take the form as a "Guru Guide" link under the "If you like this..." menu.

20. Add support for Yahoo widgets (sports scores, weather, etc) in banner bar at the top of the screen.

21. When you select YouTube on the Bonus Features menu, display the YouTube results inline in TiVO Search. Stop requiring users to exit to a completely separate app. There should only be one application with one interface.

22. Hulu

23. Offer a new TiVo remote with a slide-out keyboard, like this one from Vizio. Alternatively, support standard / wireless USB keyboards.

24. Integrate videos from PC shared folders in search.

Aesthetic Changes
  1. Increase menu and menu selection width, as seen in the press shots.

2. Add the vertical divider between the second and third frames, as seen in the press shots.

3. Center "Press ENTER to filter results" on the center pane, as seen in the press shots.

4. Reduce the size of the thumbs up/down graphics and display them to the right of the program name, rather than the left.

5. Since TV is the only current source of HD content, consider merging the TV and HD icons so you have one version of the TV icon for SD and another version of the TV icon when a program is available in HD. In the future, you would also have separate icons for Amazon Unbox and Amazon Unbox HD, Netflix and Netflix HD, etc. This merged TV+HD icon would be used on Search results; the HD icon would still be used under Upcoming, etc.

6. Eliminate excess space on the Episode Guide between the "Jump to Season" selection and the first episode.

7. On the page for a specific episode, change record text from "Record next episode" to "Record this episode."

8. In the Episode Guide, consider moving the season and episode numbers to the first line so twice as many entries can fit on the screen. This would allow six or seven episodes per page.

Other Changes
  1. Improve performance: eliminate lag during text input.

If it is not possible to eliminate lag with with the current implementation (refining results after each input), then wait until the user pauses their "typing" to display results.

Last edited by bkdtv : 01-21-2009 at 10:36 AM.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:29 PM   #2
magnus
Tivo User

+1 for Adding Netflix.

I did try the new search out but did not see any Jaman or CinemaNow links but maybe I did not do enough searching.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:42 PM   #3
Mindflux
TiVowned

Speed

Uniformity with the 'keyboard' in all the menus (This includes the new Search Beta)
Old 01-07-2009, 11:23 PM   #4
johnny99
TivoHD

Hulu
Old 01-07-2009, 11:24 PM   #5
modnar

Shortcuts for typing letters - like the numbers on a phone keypad.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:19 AM   #6
nrc
Cracker Soul

1. They definitely need to improve text input. Waiting on cursor move responses while inputing text is absolutely going to kill TiVo's entire approach to this if they can't solve it. Even if the current system doesn't change it must, at an absolute minimum, be faster and more responsive. Wireless or slow ISP connections aren't an excuse for this. If it doesn't work for the average customer it doesn't work period.

2. They currently give the "Youtube Search" option for program entries but it should be added for actors.

3. As mentioned repeatedly, NetFlix needs to be in there. TiVoPony pointed out that it would be difficult or impossible with the current NetFlix API so everyone with that suggestion needs to start feeding that back to NetFlix as well.

4. When stepping through the suggestions at the top of the screen you should be able to give a thumbs up or down to the program and that should affect whether the show still appears up there.

5. When setting up a WishList from a search it would be nice to have an option to specify HD only.

6. Added features in the program screen could include things like movie reviews, awards, presence in guru guides, etc.

Not entirely square
Old 01-08-2009, 12:24 AM   #7
moyekj

Make it a Tivo native application, not HME based (though I know that will likely never happen). Cut back on all the graphics that slow things down too much. Seems to me the application strives more to try and "look cool" than to focus on actually helping find things. The top graphics bar for example is way too big and mostly not useful to me.
Of course I have to agree Netflix integration is a must to supplement YouTube & Amazon which I don't use.

My number 1 request:
GIVE US A WAY TO EASILY FIND SEASON & SERIES PREMIERES which has been a long-requested feature which never seems to make it's way into these various search mechanisms.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by moyekj : 01-08-2009 at 12:31 AM.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:34 AM   #8
ciper

Put the USB ports to good use by adding the ability to use a keyboard.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:09 AM   #9
moyekj

I'm also disappointed that search still doesn't behave as I would hope/expect. Simple example, enter the following as keyword:
lakers
I would expect all upcoming NBA basketball games featuring lakers to show up as matches but they don't. Just like with the normal Tivo search you have to enter the proper show title (NBA basketball) for it to show up and then plow through all results to find lakers games. I would have hoped this search engine would be smarter and look beyond just show titles, but perhaps that's too much data to expect quick searches on...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:34 AM   #10
E94Allen

I thought I should mention again what I wanted earlier but seem this thread is better place to request the features so I would like to add wishlist ability in the Episodes and Episode Guide so I could record what I (we) missed due to possible problem such not recording or because CC has disappeared or channels has disappears whatever reasons it might be so I would like to be able to create wishlist automatically directly from clicking on that specific episodes and have ability to record that episode and only that episode if we wanted to.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:29 AM   #11
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Cooperative Scheduling

On TiVo website you can choose which DVR to setup the recording on.
Add that feature into this TiVo Search and I can search for shows I want to record and then decide which TiVo to record them on along with instant feedback on conflicts so I could decide to record on a different DVR in the house if needed.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:46 AM   #12
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo View Post
Add that feature into this TiVo Search and I can search for shows I want to record and then decide which TiVo to record them on along with instant feedback on conflicts so I could decide to record on a different DVR in the house if needed.
EXCELLENT SUGGESTION ! Especially in this case where HME is using information on Tivo servers anyway it should have full access to all your Tivos information (since you have to opt in anyway to use this application).

Old 01-08-2009, 09:31 AM   #13
modnar

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Make it a Tivo native application, not HME based (though I know that will likely never happen).
I can't agree with this more. I haven't seen a single HME based app that has performed as fast as I would think the average consumer expects from a set-top device.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:14 AM   #14
MickeS

#2 in the OP is the only one I really feel strongly about. With as much text input as the TiVo interface needs for some apps right now, it needs to be taken care of.

Would also be great to find a way to do a TiVo Search like interface for the Music & Photo apps.

Another improvement would be if it would find shows on other TiVos in the network and give the option to play those using MRV, like TiVo Search does now for the Now playing list on the TiVo that search is being used on.

Last edited by MickeS : 01-08-2009 at 10:19 AM.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:43 AM   #15
BruceShultes

Unless it is speeded up significantly, don't remove the current search selection when the new one is taken out of beta and released.

The new one is so slow it is almost unusable at this point.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:32 PM   #16
magnus
Tivo User

I was just thinking about this one and went to add it to the thread. It would be good to have search show which Tivo a show is already being recorded on and have a setting to get a season pass from that Tivo. Sometimes 2 tuners just aren't enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo View Post

Old 01-09-2009, 12:49 PM   #17
janry

Quote:
Originally Posted by E94Allen View Post
I thought I should mention again what I wanted earlier but seem this thread is better place to request the features so I would like to add wishlist ability in the Episodes and Episode Guide so I could record what I (we) missed due to possible problem such not recording or because CC has disappeared or channels has disappears whatever reasons it might be so I would like to be able to create wishlist automatically directly from clicking on that specific episodes and have ability to record that episode and only that episode if we wanted to.
I want to 2nd this. We miss a few programs each year due to various issues. I create a wishlist whenever we do. While playing with this feature last night, I discovered such a wishlist I had set up had the wrong title information (speeling error ). I wondered why I'd that episode had never come up again. LOL

Having this create at least the title information for a wishlist would help a lot since we don't have a real keyboard to work with.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:34 PM   #18
mathwhiz

I have to agree about the speed. It is making me wonder what software will be left on my TiVo - everything is running over the network now. Which means if my network connection is done I lose more and more functionality. I would like to see more features added running right on my TiVo for increased speed and reliability. Going into the Music, Photos, and More area already takes 10-15 seconds for the menu to become usable. New features are nice - but only if you can actually use them without waiting. I'll take a faster older interface before a newer slower one.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:36 PM   #19
ciper

Please view the first image of this post http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/sho...d.php?t=415697
Something like that would make TiVo search (and all other functions) far easier to use.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:46 PM   #20
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathwhiz View Post
I have to agree about the speed. It is making me wonder what software will be left on my TiVo - everything is running over the network now. Which means if my network connection is done I lose more and more functionality. I would like to see more features added running right on my TiVo for increased speed and reliability. Going into the Music, Photos, and More area already takes 10-15 seconds for the menu to become usable. New features are nice - but only if you can actually use them without waiting. I'll take a faster older interface before a newer slower one.
The beta version of HDUI Search is run completely from TiVo's servers. This allows TiVo to make the application available to everyone without the need to install beta software on the customer's box. It also allows TiVo to update and improve the application daily based on feedback. It allows TiVo to experiment with "under the hood" changes to improve performance. The final version of TiVo search may or may not run from customer's own box -- TiVo hasn't said. Clearly, in the final application, most customers will not tolerate the launch delays and intermittent pauses that occur during input and navigation.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:59 PM   #21
raghu1111

Input methods :

At least experimentally : Ability to type from my laptop. Tivo could publish an interface for applications to send keys to Tivo as though there was a wireless keyboard connected.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:00 PM   #22
raghu1111

Short cuts

Ability to go to search just from 'Tivo' + shortcut.

I like Netflix on Tivo, but find it tedious to go through 5-6 screens to reach 'Watch Instantly'
Old 01-09-2009, 04:03 PM   #23
Mindflux
TiVowned

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu1111 View Post
Ability to go to search just from 'Tivo' + shortcut.

I like Netflix on Tivo, but find it tedious to go through 5-6 screens to reach 'Watch Instantly'
5 screens? TiVo Central -> VOD -> Netflix (which then shows you the list in your queue).

That's pressing select a total of 3 times along with a few up/down cursor movements.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:52 PM   #24
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindflux View Post
5 screens? TiVo Central -> VOD -> Netflix (which then shows you the list in your queue).

That's pressing select a total of 3 times along with a few up/down cursor movements.
then "watch instantly" then scroll the list
Old 01-09-2009, 08:14 PM   #25
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
The beta version of HDUI Search is run completely from TiVo's servers. This allows TiVo to make the application available to everyone without the need to install beta software on the customer's box. It also allows TiVo to update and improve the application daily based on feedback. It allows TiVo to experiment with "under the hood" changes to improve performance. The final version of TiVo search may or may not run from customer's own box -- TiVo hasn't said. Clearly, in the final application, most customers will not tolerate the launch delays and intermittent pauses that occur during input and navigation.
Agreed. I'm cutting Tivo some slack for the slowness right now being this is something new and in beta.
I'd much rather have them test it this way instead of a software update/modification which could potentially cause a bug in some other function.

F*CK CANCER!
Old 01-10-2009, 09:56 AM   #26
tjkrz

Please please please speed it up. This is my biggest complaint with Tivo. It's very unresponsive, and this new UI does little to improve it. I'm not sure why this is so difficult to implement...it was never this bad on my Series 1.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:30 PM   #27
rkcarter
Rick- Vorlon wannabe

* Any sort of better keyboard support (standard USB keyboard support and/or better remote with slide-out alphabetical keys and/or allowing T9 and/or text-messaging inputs, and/or one I'd love in general -- a web interface that supports all the menu functions I could connect to at home; ideally password-protected if desired).

* Exact title searching. As one example of many, I got a new TiVo up last week. New episodes of "Life" won't be on until February. Just try setting up a wishlist search for "Life" on digital cable and just see how many things you'd have to subtract out to just get "Life" (and, of course, every day brings new ones, often in episode titles of other series). Same with "Heroes." As with "(HEROES)" meaning "optional," perhaps the display could show "[HEROES]" for "exact title."

* Additionally, exact-title searching could help with another peeve of mine -- that there's no way in normal program-search to just say "give me all episodes of "Seinfeld reruns on all channels," without specifying each channel... which could mean that the channel you get them on drops "Seinfeld" and/or some other channel picks it up, and you'd never know.

* Knowing the difference between series title and episode title. I don't care if they are separate fields or if there's a way to tag them series/episode/don't-care. In fact, I suspect don't-care is the rarest case for most people, really (that would also help with the problem immediately above this one -- in my "Life" example, many are showing shows with the word "Life" in an episode title). I imagine, ideally, if someone wanted all shows with "Heroes" in series *or* episode title, they could put "(Heroes)" optional in both fields.

* People have suggested thumbs-downing the results from a search. I propose a slightly different, broader way -- a search check-box entitled "Exclude Thumbs-Down Shows." That way I could have a genre search that potentially gets better over time.

* An TiVo-wide HD option that can be defaulted in Settings and overridden in individual cases -- three choices: Normal, "Prefer HD showings" or "Never record HD shows" (apparently some Over-the-Air channels in digital cable will show both HD and normal-def, so this will soon become a problem for people with non-HD sets if I get that correctly -- they won't be able to simply exclude a channel from "Channels I Receive" without losing some SD content).

Throw those in, and I'll fall in love all over again.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:32 PM   #28
rkcarter
Rick- Vorlon wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarter View Post
* Any sort of better keyboard support (standard USB keyboard support and/or better remote with slide-out alphabetical keys and/or allowing T9 and/or text-messaging inputs, and/or one I'd love in general -- a web interface that supports all the menu functions I could connect to at home; ideally password-protected if desired).
And to clarify, I'm not talking about the TiVo.com site on the web interface, I'm talking about the TiVo itself's local web interface. I don't think you can do all that much from it, but I admit it's been a long time since I tried.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:07 AM   #29
nrc
Cracker Soul

This evening I noticed that on the details screen for Movies there is no information about writer or director. With Swivel Search I frequently find a movie I like and then select the director to find other movies by that director. Every movie screen in the new search should have a "Credits" section along with the "Cast" section. The "Credits" section would contain the director, writer, and producer.

I'd also love to see a section for each actor, director, etc that lists all of their movies whether they're available for recording or rental at that time or not. This would make it simple for me to create a Wish List for a specific movie when it does air. This would be especially useful if it listed new releases. That way I could easily create a Wish List for a movie when it's released and catch it as soon as it comes to cable.

Not entirely square
Old 01-13-2009, 09:51 AM   #30
Joe3

Red face

"The newly tuned search engine also displays the most popular search results of the day automatically, even when typing only a single letter."

How can you say most popular? We don't vote!

The number of hits do not account for the number of mistakes (Not even a key board for entry). and

What about hits you get by going after wild goose chases. Search is not accurate enough to be called, "most popular".

Let us vote on the most popular!

Please look at the "Digg" Model. Its a more honest way of getting to what we think is good.

Democratize, let us vote!

Its participatory, gives a sense of Community and is a more positive and fun experience!

Last edited by Joe3 : 01-13-2009 at 09:56 AM.