TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > TiVo Search Feedback - Beta Release (Archive)
TiVo Community

Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:30 AM   #1
davezatz
Funkadelic

NEW TiVo Search

New TiVo Search (beta) lands on Series3 and TiVo HD boxes Wednesday. I've got some thoughts and a few pics, and Megazone has even more pics.

-----------

TIVO TRANSFORMS THE TV WORLD ONCE AGAIN BY OFFERING A NEW WAY TO SEARCH & DISCOVER CONTENT

Introduction of New TiVo Search Means Channel Surfing is a Now Thing of the Past Find What You’ve Been Missing

LAS VEGAS, NV. January 7, 2009 -TiVo Inc. (NASDAQ: TIVO), the creator of and a leader in television services for digital video recorders (DVRs), today showed the future of television, unveiling a redesigned TiVo Search feature that offers improved search results with a completely new High Definition design, all at no additional charge. TiVo Search brings users the power of choice, offering millions of pieces of content not available via cable or satellite, along with thousands of linear TV choices. Delivered via broadband, TiVo Search combines a graphics rich experience with simplicity and relevancy that makes it a truly revolutionary way to get more out of your TV.

“What Google did for the Internet, TiVo is now doing for the TV, bringing people a combination of excellent search results and innovative discovery that can’t be found anywhere else,” said Tom Rogers, CEO and President of TiVo Inc. “TiVo has always been known as the best way to watch what you want, when you want it. Now we’re taking that to a new level, using TiVo technology to find just the right program from hundreds of channels and thousands of broadband options, all in seconds. It is clear TiVo is leading the way in providing more choice, and also leading the way in finding content quickly. TiVo Search is a new way to find what you’ve been missing.”

TiVo Search takes advantage of extra screen size afforded by high definition televisions by showing more details about a highlighted program than ever before, eliminating the need to dig down into each and every program to learn what it is about. It ensures the most important information is surfaced right up to the screen you’re already on, equaling less navigation and quick, accurate results.

“One of the best things about the new TiVo Search feature is how it works as a discovery engine, helping users find content they didn’t even know they could get,” said Jim Denney, Vice President of Product Marketing at TiVo Inc. “We’ve added a new discovery bar that gives a quick guide to relevant content, and the search experience incorporates content from broadband sources like Amazon Video on Demand and YouTube. The newly tuned search engine also displays the most popular search results of the day automatically, even when typing only a single letter. Searches work not with just the first word of a title, but any word of the program, which is especially handy when looking for programs with specific search words.”

The new interface not only displays in high definition, it has a focus on finding high definition television content. TiVo search automatically recommends high definition television channels and episodes when users schedule a program to record. Additionally, users can now browse shows season by season and select any episode they want utilizing a robust episode guide. Depending on availability users may record content from cable/antenna, download it from Amazon Video on Demand, or use WishList searches to record it the next time the content is broadcast.

Seeing equals believing, and the new TiVo Search is no exception. Starting today broadband connected TiVo Series3, TiVo HD, and HD XL subscribers can experience a beta version of the feature on their TiVo DVR, which can be found under Music, Photos, and Showcases. For an online preview and to provide your comments and feedback on this new search tool to TiVo visit www.tivo.com/tivosearch.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:37 AM   #2
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz View Post
For an online preview and to provide your comments and feedback on this new search tool to TiVo visit www.tivo.com/tivosearch.
Irony

Page not found
Hmmm... Seems we couldn't find what you were looking for.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:47 AM   #3
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo View Post
Irony
Page not found
Ha. TiVo's m.o. has been to usually launch those pages in the AM when the press release hits the wire. Though if you look at my pic of the UI, you'll see a different link here to the tivocommunity. Hmmmm as well.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:08 AM   #4
George Cifranci
Viva La Tivo!

Gizmodo has pics here (probably the same ones) if you can't get to that page...

http://i.gizmodo.com/5125062/tivo-se...future-of-tivo

TiVo S3 - (12-20-06) 318HR HD (2TB)
TiVo S2 - (06-16-04) 329HR SD (retired)
TiVo S1 - (10-03-01) 60HR SD (retired)
TV: Sony SXRD R60XBR1 HDTV
Old 01-07-2009, 02:52 AM   #5
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Cifranci View Post
Gizmodo has pics here (probably the same ones) if you can't get to that page...

http://i.gizmodo.com/5125062/tivo-se...future-of-tivo
The pictures at gizmodo look pretty cool to me. I'm not sure why some other sites are using low-resolution shots; much of the effect is lost.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:03 AM   #6
Peter Redmer
Administrator

We just set up a new forum here exclusively for discussion on this beta feature - there's an announcement in all forums with more info. You can post in the new forum area here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/searchfeedback
Old 01-07-2009, 03:08 AM   #7
nrc
Cracker Soul

Live now on my S3. And awesome. There's still some occasional slowness in the response to remote inputs but not enough to cause problems. I love the way they let you select among upcoming showings, rentals or purchase for a program. Love the episode guides and love the cast galleries.

Must have access to this from any program entry (guide, current program, now playing) as soon as it's out of Beta.

Kudos Tivo.

Created a new thread for first impressions in the beta forum and copied this in there.

Not entirely square

Last edited by nrc : 01-07-2009 at 03:12 AM. Reason: beta forum note
Old 01-07-2009, 04:12 AM   #8
TiVoPony
TiVo Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo View Post
Irony

Page not found
It may be possible that there was some confusion about the definition of 'midnight'.

Our team was working to midnight pacific. And I'm happy to report that everything was up and ready per schedule.

Pony
Old 01-07-2009, 06:16 AM   #9
lafos

Very nice. I just tried it out and it is very responsive and the interface is easy to use. Hope there's a way to adjust the font size. Some of the text is hard to read at the distance I sit.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:40 AM   #10
NotVeryWitty
Too Big to Fail

This looks like a nice major upgrade to Swivel Search, but one thing that will keep me from using it is if it runs as slowly as Swivel Search (and other HME apps).

I have 20 Mbps Fios internet service, and a wired connection to the Tivo, but I still suffer from frequent long pauses when doing any HME-based operation. (I wonder if being on the east coast adds any delay in accessing the Tivo servers.)

TivoPony, would you care to comment on whether Tivo has addressed the HME slowness issues with this nice new feature? I'm sure it works great inside the walls of the Tivo building, but out here in the real world not as well.

[I just read over the comments on Dave Zatz's site -- sounds like the slowness problems are still there. ]
Old 01-07-2009, 07:42 AM   #11
NotVeryWitty
Too Big to Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafos View Post
I just tried it out and it is very responsive
Hmmm, that sounds encouraging. I'll be interested to hear other people's experiences...
Old 01-07-2009, 08:51 AM   #12
vstone

I hope this doesn't include as new feature that showed up on my S2. Whenever I pause I get the option to go search for relared content. You can disable for the remainder of a recording, but you can't turn off the feature.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:36 AM   #13
wm2008

I wish they would concentrate on fixing existing issues which are core to the product rather than adding new features.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:45 AM   #14
Mindflux
TiVowned

I wish all the items that make use of 'typing' in the TiVo would be uniform. One menu's "keyboard" is 4 characters wide while another is 3.. (or maybe it's 4 and 5 but whatever).

So I go use the Wishlist and see:

ABC
DEF
GHI

Then I go use some other tool and see:

ABCD
EFGH

All of these should be uniform. Bleh! Now this one is even wider than any other I've seen (if I'm remembering right).
Old 01-07-2009, 10:40 AM   #15
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoPony View Post
It may be possible that there was some confusion about the definition of 'midnight'.

Our team was working to midnight pacific. And I'm happy to report that everything was up and ready per schedule.

Pony
I figured I was just a bit ahead of the 'schedule' but could not contain myself due to the irony of the not found message. Kudos on a nice step forward to being the google of media in the living room and the concept of the open acknowledged beta via use of HME app. This could propel TiVo into an even faster turn around time on adding and searching content.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:01 PM   #16
RoyK

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstone View Post
I hope this doesn't include as new feature that showed up on my S2. Whenever I pause I get the option to go search for relared content. You can disable for the remainder of a recording, but you can't turn off the feature.
I think you would be safe betting that it will.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:15 PM   #17
Allanon

Just tried the beta but it was unusable, very long pauses every few seconds. The first pause was so long I thought the Tivo froze and I was ready to reset the Tivo.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:20 PM   #18
rdodolak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoPony View Post

Pony
The new search beta did show up on my TiVo around midnight pacific. Now, is there any news on if or when new HD TiVo screens will be coming for the rest of the menus?
Old 01-07-2009, 12:26 PM   #19
TolloNodre
En Fuego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindflux View Post
I wish all the items that make use of 'typing' in the TiVo would be uniform. One menu's "keyboard" is 4 characters wide while another is 3.. (or maybe it's 4 and 5 but whatever).

So I go use the Wishlist and see:

ABC
DEF
GHI

Then I go use some other tool and see:

ABCD
EFGH

All of these should be uniform. Bleh! Now this one is even wider than any other I've seen (if I'm remembering right).
It might be helpful to explain why 'uniform' width is desired by you.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:37 PM   #20
berkshires

There is often a problem with 16:9 apps when using a CRT due to overscan causing the loss of some info around the edges.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:53 PM   #21
erwos

Quote:
Originally Posted by wm2008 View Post
I wish they would concentrate on fixing existing issues which are core to the product rather than adding new features.
IMHO, the core GUI's almost complete non-use of HD resolutions is a problem that needed to be fixed. This is a very good first step, from what I've seen. If they can tackle the speed issues, they'll be totally on the right path.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:35 PM   #22
Mr Flippant
Regular User

I've tried it and like the HD interface. I really like the episode and cast member listing. Another good feature is the general subject and sub-topic listing. For instance entering "foot" will display Football then below that College Football, NFL Football etc... Then each sub-topic has episodes within.

I was really hoping that this would be the time for Netflix searches to be on the Tivo side. Unfortunately not. Movies even in my Watch Instantly list were not included in the search, instead I am given an option to buy it from Amazon. I hope Netflix listings would be added. Netflix should see this as an opportunity for exposure.

Lastly I am hoping it will speed up some as well. Had a few instances of the "Please Wait" dialog popup where I began to think I was going to have to restart the box. Also when I explored the Amazon interface and then selected to not buy the movie I got kicked out ofthe beta search altogether losing my search string.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:42 PM   #23
Mindflux
TiVowned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TolloNodre View Post
It might be helpful to explain why 'uniform' width is desired by you.
How'd you like it if your keyboard with on your desktop changed on a whim?

It's desirable so I always know that "D" is always the farthest right character at the top. Yes I can use my eyes to distinguish when it's not.. but uniformity would lead to accelerated use of the search functions and wishlists and so on and so forth. Either that or give us full IR keyboard support.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:55 PM   #24
puffdaddy

I believe that the "network remote" listener (that TiVo first added in software version 9.1 to provide Crestron support) provides the ability to enter keyboard keystrokes. This would approximate full IR keyboard support.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:40 PM   #25
chrisph

I really want to like this, but, unlike other posters' experiences, my response time is not quick at all.

There seems to be a several second lag (4 - 8 seconds) after every button push.

I am hoping this gets worked out soon, as I really want to try this out.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:17 PM   #26
MickeS

I will try this out later, but no matter how it works, I can say that I love that they are finally taking advantage of the 16:9 screen.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:22 PM   #27
TiivoDog
FIOS Fast!!!

I really like the new search and prefer it to Swivel Search, which I also thought was a quality enhancement. The page layout is quite good and I really like how content is linked/mapped to the search, as well as the flow for one to record or rent/buy via Amazon - I would like to see other purchasing avenues incorporated, such as Netflix and others as more content provider relationships are forged. Also, no unnecessary lag time reported here - maybe it's related to my speedy Internet provider

Thus far, I think this was pretty well done and I am looking forward to this being blessed as a production application - now, just give me my damn 'widgets' per the posts(s) I have over on the Suggestion Avenue Forum!!!!!!!!

4 Series3

2 Series2

Sony Google TV

2 AppleTVs

Onkyo NR-1008

HP MSS EX475 (OS 3.0)

GigE LAN

FIOS TV (127 HD Channels)
FIOS Data (35/35 Mbps)
Old 01-07-2009, 03:55 PM   #28
dmbpj

I look forward to trying this tonight, but from reading, I too wish they would add Netflix along with Amazon.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:39 PM   #29
JohnBrowning

Quote:

It's desirable so I always know that "D" is always the farthest right character at the top. Yes I can use my eyes to distinguish when it's not.. but uniformity would lead to accelerated use of the search functions and wishlists and so on and so forth. Either that or give us full IR keyboard support.
Real keyboard support would be good. I'd like to see the option of a cellphone T9W input mode! That would be much quicker than the current style.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:44 PM   #30
TolloNodre
En Fuego

Quote:

Well, the keyboard on my phone, laptop, Mac and work computer are all different. So I guess I learn to adapt.

But if your vision is an issue I could certainly see where uniformity would be a high priority. Hence why I asked.