TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-05-2009, 05:18 PM   #1
synchrony

HDMI Output stopped working

I've been using the HDMI port on my TiVo for months and then it just stopped working for no apparent reason. I've been in video and home entertainment for years, so I've gone through all of the standard troubleshooting steps. Other outputs are working fine, but I'm not satisfied with anything less than HDMI. Is this a common issue? Should I send this unit back?
synchrony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 11:32 PM   #2
JonathanMeyers

Lots of units have this problem. Use the component connection. It's just as good as the HDMI port.
JonathanMeyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 12:32 AM   #3
gweempose

synchrony,

Out of curiosity, what brand/model of display is your TiVo hooked up to?
gweempose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:58 AM   #4
synchrony

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanMeyers View Post
Lots of units have this problem. Use the component connection. It's just as good as the HDMI port.
No, it's not. HDMI is a digital signal and one cable vs. five. It's unacceptable for it not to work -- or to just stop working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post
synchrony,

Out of curiosity, what brand/model of display is your TiVo hooked up to?
I've had it hooked up to two different Samsungs -- a 37" and a 52". I'd have to look up the exact model numbers. But, like I said, it worked fine for months and then just stopped all of the sudden...
Old 01-06-2009, 04:13 PM   #5
evanborkow

Did you try a reboot?
evanborkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 04:20 PM   #6
synchrony

At least 3 times. I went through all the basic troubleshooting steps...
Old 01-06-2009, 04:22 PM   #7
evanborkow

Different cable?
evanborkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 12:50 PM   #8
wtherrell

Any updates on this thread?

Mine has started this same behavior since Saturday January 17.
Should I return my Tivo HD?
wtherrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 12:50 PM   #9
wtherrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanMeyers View Post
If lots of units have this problem, why doesn't Tivo issue a recall?
Old 01-21-2009, 07:52 AM   #10
Docray1

I had a non-functional HDMI output on my new TIVO HD. I got a replacement unit and it works fine. It seems there IS an issue with this.
Docray1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 08:24 AM   #11
wtherrell

Waited too long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docray1 View Post
I had a non-functional HDMI output on my new TIVO HD. I got a replacement unit and it works fine. It seems there IS an issue with this.
I should have returned the unit long ago I suppose, when it kept getting the GSOD but hesitated thinking it was a software problem. I just started using the HDMI when I finally got an HDTV. Now it will cost me $149 to have it replaced, according to the TIVO tech I spoke to. Maybe I should just get a DVRUpgrade increased capacity unit and transfer my Lifetime sub to it. I'd rather put the $149 towards that than throw good money after bad. Well, the component hook-up works so maybe I'll just live with that until a better idea comes along. Seems if there were really problems with the HDMI that Tivo should acknowledge it and still replace it free or at reduced price.
Old 01-31-2009, 09:49 AM   #12
delvalputt

Ditto

I just got a used unit through Ebay and had the Verizon tech here putting the cable cards in. All of a sudden the HDMI output stopped receiving.
Still having the Verizon DVR which worked fine we tried many combinations but Tivo HDMI never worked.
We restarted 4 times. Then tried the component cables which worked fine.
Since Verizon was installing, I am hoping for a replacement unit on them.
D
delvalputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 03:35 PM   #13
rjschechter

I just joined this board so I could report the same problem, and, I hoped, find out how to solve it.

My Tivo has been working just fine for months off the HDMI to my Samsung DLP television. All of a sudden, the HDMI stopped working. It doesn't work on either of the TV's HDMI inputs, although the DVD player works just fine in either of those inputs. The "Systems" menu on the Tivo says there is no HDMI cable attached.

I called Tivo and the tech automatically insisted that the probem must be with the television, and that I should call the TV manufacturer. He was unimpressed with my point that the HDMI cable has two ends and the TV end was working just fine with my DVD player. He didn't even ask me to check the systems menu, so he never learned that the Tivo doesn't seem to recognize the HDMI cable at all.

I upgraded my TV's firmware. It didn't help.

The tech then told me that the solution was to use the component cables. That, of course, is no "solution," since the HDMI picture was noticeaby better. Why does Tivo bother supporting HDMI if component is as good? He might as well have told me that the solution was to give up watching TV and start reading instead. No, that's not a "solution."

Anyway, I'm no expert by any means, but it certainly seems like a Tivo problem to me. Blaming the TV manufacturer, especially now that I now that this is an often reported problem with Tivo, seems like a cop-out and poor customer service.

Any new ideas, anyone?
rjschechter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 03:54 PM   #14
fyodor

1. I suspect that you've tried this, but since you didn't mention it, have you tried a different HDMI cable?

2. Have you tried powering down and powering up the Tivo again?

3. Are you within warranty? If you make a big enough stink, you might be able to exchange it under warranty.

4. Do you or a neighbor have another HDMI compatible TV you can test it with? It might help narrow the problem.

5. What resolution do you have the output set to-you might want to try playing around with the output resolution to see if you get different results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjschechter View Post
I just joined this board so I could report the same problem, and, I hoped, find out how to solve it.

My Tivo has been working just fine for months off the HDMI to my Samsung DLP television. All of a sudden, the HDMI stopped working. It doesn't work on either of the TV's HDMI inputs, although the DVD player works just fine in either of those inputs. The "Systems" menu on the Tivo says there is no HDMI cable attached.

I called Tivo and the tech automatically insisted that the probem must be with the television, and that I should call the TV manufacturer. He was unimpressed with my point that the HDMI cable has two ends and the TV end was working just fine with my DVD player. He didn't even ask me to check the systems menu, so he never learned that the Tivo doesn't seem to recognize the HDMI cable at all.

I upgraded my TV's firmware. It didn't help.

The tech then told me that the solution was to use the component cables. That, of course, is no "solution," since the HDMI picture was noticeaby better. Why does Tivo bother supporting HDMI if component is as good? He might as well have told me that the solution was to give up watching TV and start reading instead. No, that's not a "solution."

Anyway, I'm no expert by any means, but it certainly seems like a Tivo problem to me. Blaming the TV manufacturer, especially now that I now that this is an often reported problem with Tivo, seems like a cop-out and poor customer service.

Any new ideas, anyone?

fyodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 03:56 PM   #15
bkdtv

Quote:
Any new ideas, anyone?
Double check to see that your TiVo is on a fixed 720p or fixed 1080i setting.

Some Samsung DLPs don't accept certain resolutions via HDMI so using "native" or "fixed 480i" will reduce in a no signal message.

As suggested above, try a different cable too.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 05:22 PM   #16
FiosUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
Double check to see that your TiVo is on a fixed 720p or fixed 1080i setting.

Some Samsung DLPs don't accept certain resolutions via HDMI so using "native" or "fixed 480i" will reduce in a no signal message.

As suggested above, try a different cable too.
I had this same problem and the native vs fixed solved my issue. Somehow my kid got a hold of the remote and left this mystery wrapped in an enigma for me to fix one night.
FiosUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:09 PM   #17
windsurfdog
Hoof Hearted?

Quote:
The tech then told me that the solution was to use the component cables. That, of course, is no "solution," since the HDMI picture was noticeaby better. Why does Tivo bother supporting HDMI if component is as good?
I must respectfully disagree. You must be thinking of composite connections and not component. Check out this article on DVI vs. HDMI vs. Component. Video quality of either HDMI or component is dependent upon the device generating the signal. I abandoned the HDMI connection on my THD in favor of the component for the simple reason that I couldn't watch a video source from the Tivo while listening to a different audio source from my AVR...the Tivo was connected to the AVR via HDMI. This combination caused Tivo to throw the HDCP handshake error. So I dropped the HDMI and connected the component and an optical audio cable. There is absolutely no difference between PQ or AQ using this setup...and I can easily watch any Tivo video source and listen to Rhapsody through my Denon receiver...a bonus when looking at photos through the Tivo.

I say forget HDMI. The convenience of having only one cable run is not worth the HDCP headaches...in Tivo's case anyway.
windsurfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 02:06 PM   #18
rjschechter

Thanks, windsurfdog. I looked at the article you reference, and I don't think it means I'm crazy to say that my picture was better with HDMI than it now is with component. The article says that which one is better will depend on various factors, and it concludes by saying:
Quote:
So, which is better, DVI or component? HDMI or component? The answer--unsatisfying, perhaps, but true--is that it depends. It depends upon your source and display devices, and there's no good way, in principle, to say in advance whether the digital or the analog connection will render a better picture. You may even find, say, that your DVD player looks better through its DVI or HDMI output, while your satellite or cable box looks better through its component output, on the same display. In this case, there's no real substitute for simply plugging it in and giving it a try both ways.
I've given both a try, as the article says, and I have found that on my system the HDMI picture was superior. The component (no, I don't mean composite) is pretty darn good and has no obvious flaws, but the HDMI picture just sizzled. My wife and I both feel there is a discernible difference.

I'm not troubled by the extra cords involved in component hook-ups. All my cords are hidden and accessible in any event. I just feel that my picture was better before my HDMI deserted me.
rjschechter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 02:46 PM   #19
bkdtv

Be aware that most modern TVs store separate settings for each input. Your settings for component may not be the same as what you were using for HDMI. Furthermore, with many TVs, you need to use slightly different picture settings to produce a comparable image on component and HDMI.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 06:05 PM   #20
wjohna

I am having a similar problem--Tivo to Samsung Slimfit 30" HDTV worked just fine for 2 years, then stopped working after I temporarily disconnected the Tivo due to some work being done at my house. My DVD plays just fine via the HDMI, and I tried swapping out the HDMI cables, but no luck. Component video connection with the Tivo works fine, but I'd rather have the HDMI back.
wjohna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 09:14 PM   #21
Ralph Wiggum

I joined this club tonight. HDMI has been working fine on my Tivo HD for over a year, now tonight it drops the video signal and I can't get it to work after multiple resets and cable changes. Component works fine out of the TivoHD and other HDMI signals going into my TV work fine as well. Bummer..... Any ideas on a fix?

Last edited by Ralph Wiggum : 08-02-2009 at 10:50 PM.
Ralph Wiggum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 03:26 PM   #22
alinke

Well I just joined the club, HDMI port had been working for 18 months. Same problem as everyone else. Called Tivo, the initial tech explained it was a known issue and they would replace for me at no charge, just needed me to verify what was showing up on the system info screen. Went home to look it up and then called again, the second rep then explained it would be $149. Then talked to a manager who said they would honor the statement from the first technician. New box on the way for an RMA replacement. I am curious if anyone knows if the newer boxes have addressed this problem or it will be the same issue again?
alinke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 05:12 PM   #23
brettlyman

HDMI woes

I have component going to one TV, and hdmi to another (via a 35ft cable). The other day I unplugged the hdmi to make some changes to cabling, and after plugging it back in, now I can't get a picture.

I brought the hdmi TV out to the room where the TiVo is and connected with a brand new 10ft cable, and only got picture back after a reset and lots of fiddling with the cable. Once I had picture solid for a while, I took the TV back into the other room and reconnected the 35ft cable, no picture. Not even with fiddling.

It had been working for about three months, and now it is not. Has anyone tried an hdmi amplifier?

Unfortunately I think I'm past my warranty period, and since I'm already using the component video for one TV, hdmi is my ONLY option for the other TV.

Maybe if we "flame" TiVo enough out on the interwebs they'll cave and do a recall?
brettlyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:35 PM   #24
brettlyman

UPDATE: I got my HDMI to work -- it appears the port is just loose or something.

With a second TV connected via component, I went to System Information and on the second page where it has "HDMI Status" I saw that it kept switching from "HDCP enabled" to "HDCP not enabled" erratically. So, leaving it on that screen, I just kept fiddling with the HDMI cable in the back until it stayed on "HDCP enabled", and then my other TV came on.

This happened with two different HDMI cables, the 35ft one and the brand new 10ft cable. So the problem is not the cable, it's the HDMI port.

At least that's my situation. I'm just glad I got it working...now I'm not going to touch it! I'll probably have to have an electrical repairman fix the port if possible...
Old 01-04-2010, 04:50 PM   #25
Donny Bahama

I've now joined this lovely little club. Everything was fine until I connected a component cable. Contrary to several posts on these forums, TiVo tech support told me that while a component cable is plugged in, there can be no HDMI output. In my case, though, disconnecting the component cable did not make the HDMI work again.

Logically, if the system software is sensing a component connection and then disabling the HDMI, it's probably modifying some config file. My suspicion is that there's some system software bug that's causing this file not to be restored/updated once the component cable has been removed. There may have been some other bug that caused the HDMI to be disabled irrespective of a component connection being made.

In any case, has anyone tried to fix this via one of the Kickstart codes?
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettlyman View Post
Maybe if we "flame" TiVo enough out on the interwebs they'll cave and do a recall?
I've already sent an email to TiVo's CEO threatening a class action lawsuit. My attorney happens to have an associate that specializes in class action litigation.
Donny Bahama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:16 PM   #26
Donny Bahama

Another thing that makes me fairly certain that this is a config (rather than hardware) issue is that my HDMI output works fine after a restart -- until it gets past the Welcome, Powering Up screen. Anyone else notice this?
Old 01-04-2010, 05:29 PM   #27
wjohna

Same thing happened to me

I tried to temporarily hook up my Tivo to a different TV via HDMI. Worked until the Welcome screen, then no picture. When I moved it back to the original TV, where HDMI had been working fine until I plugged it into the new TV, no HDMI output at all--not even up to the Welcome screen. I'm now using component cables rather than sending my TiVo back to the company.
wjohna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:59 PM   #28
brettlyman

After inspection, I found that during my disconnect/reconnect of my HDMI cable, a small object got caught in the pins, causing them to bend. I was able to get it out and attempted to straighten the pins, but a couple of them broke while doing so.

Then I attempted to solder a new HDMI port onto the board, and that didn't go so well either (completely ruined the HDMI wiring on the board - my fault entirely). IN MY DEFENSE I did take the board and the new HDMI component to an electronics repair shop and tried to convince them to solder it for me....they declined...

In the end I ponied up the money and bought a used TiVo HD on ebay (with a working HDMI port). Now I have both outputs working simultaneously again, the component to one TV, the HDMI to a splitter that goes to three other rooms. I can disconnect/reconnect the HDMI and have no problems with any/all of my TV's.

I have not tried disconnecting/reconnecting the component cables while it's running to see if HDMI stops working.

For those that have HDMI working on the Welcome screen but not afterwards, have you tried changing the output format using the button on the front of the unit?
Old 01-04-2010, 06:04 PM   #29
brettlyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Bahama View Post
Everything was fine until I connected a component cable. Contrary to several posts on these forums, TiVo tech support told me that while a component cable is plugged in, there can be no HDMI output. In my case, though, disconnecting the component cable did not make the HDMI work again.
Could it be that when you connect the component cables the unit is changing the output format to something not supported by your HDMI TV?
Old 01-05-2010, 01:24 PM   #30
Donny Bahama

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettlyman View Post
Could it be that when you connect the component cables the unit is changing the output format to something not supported by your HDMI TV?
I really don't think so. If I use either a composite or component cable, it shows that the output format is 480i, and the picture *does* display (so obviously my TV is capable of that.) But switching to HDMI causes the HDMI output to shut down after the welcome screen.

Again, logically, this is probably the point at which the config files are read and applied.