TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-01-2009, 07:57 PM   #451
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNutz View Post
I get this error (Macintosh) when there are illegal characters in the file names of the TiVo show, or if my AntiVirus tries to scan the show while it's being downloaded. What are the names of your shows?
They're all similar to the following :

Cliffords Puppy Days - Show and Tell What a Story_Fri_Jun_06_cut.mpg

The individual episode names and airdates differ, but they're all just about the same. I don't see any blatantly funky characters in the titles.
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 08:02 PM   #452
AudioNutz

Have you tried shortening the names, and/or trying them without the underscore characters?
AudioNutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 10:37 PM   #453
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNutz View Post
Have you tried shortening the names, and/or trying them without the underscore characters?
Not really. Been busy with the holidays and such.
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 03:24 AM   #454
chanster

Hello. I have a question. this is the first time I have used this software. I downloaded kmtttg, got it installed OK, but I just asked it to download a movie from my tivo and convert it from .tivo to .mpg (no encoding). The result is that I got the file, but there is sound and no video. actually the video looks like the default screen saver or something similar.

Question: Do I have to encode? I am trying to encode but my computer is taking forever. I mean it has taken 4 hours to encode 16% and my CPU is running at max strength. I don't know what to do.
chanster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:56 AM   #455
chanster

To further complicate things, I got WinDVD to play the raw MPG file, but both Divx, PowerDVD and Windows Media shows no video...any thoughts????
chanster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 11:51 AM   #456
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanster View Post
Hello. I have a question. this is the first time I have used this software. I downloaded kmtttg, got it installed OK, but I just asked it to download a movie from my tivo and convert it from .tivo to .mpg (no encoding). The result is that I got the file, but there is sound and no video. actually the video looks like the default screen saver or something similar.

Question: Do I have to encode? I am trying to encode but my computer is taking forever. I mean it has taken 4 hours to encode 16% and my CPU is running at max strength. I don't know what to do.
No need to encode to a different format. It sounds like you are missing proper codecs to decode mpeg2 on your computer, so you need to install codecs such as:
http://codecpackguide.com/klcodec416f.exe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 11:26 PM   #457
Spenser

Is it possible to run kmttg in a client/server mode? For example, have all the code and configuration files on one machine, but invoke the GUI and make configuration changes from another (a la Galleon)?
Spenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 01:11 AM   #458
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenser View Post
Is it possible to run kmttg in a client/server mode? For example, have all the code and configuration files on one machine, but invoke the GUI and make configuration changes from another (a la Galleon)?
No, but a network share may accomplish what you want.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:25 AM   #459
jrusch

I have a question regarding the encoding profiles. I want to watch HD quality on my Macbook, but I would also like a smaller file size. Which profile would be best?
jrusch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:49 PM   #460
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrusch View Post
I have a question regarding the encoding profiles. I want to watch HD quality on my Macbook, but I would also like a smaller file size. Which profile would be best?
h264_med_rate will cut back file size quite significantly while keeping fairly good quality. If that's not good enough then h264_high_rate will be good for quality but won't cut down on file size very much. You can also copy one of those profiles to your own and adjust the bitrate (-b #) to something in between to trade off quality vs. size.

Old 01-09-2009, 02:26 PM   #461
infin8007

I'm eager to try this software, however the curl link in the google page is 404.
I guess i'll try to google and find anther d/l for it.

edit: think i found it at

http://www.gknw.net/mirror/curl/win3...ic-bin-w32.zip
infin8007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 02:35 PM   #462
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by infin8007 View Post
I'm eager to try this software, however the curl link in the google page is 404.
I guess i'll try to google and find anther d/l for it.

edit: think i found it at

http://www.gknw.net/mirror/curl/win3...ic-bin-w32.zip
NOTE: All the binaries needed for windows are already available in a single zip file at the kmttg web site:
kmttg_win32_tools_v0p5.zip

Old 01-09-2009, 02:55 PM   #463
infin8007

Thanks. I also opened the readme file. and RTFM

Last edited by infin8007 : 01-09-2009 at 03:04 PM.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:46 PM   #464
infin8007

The add button being in front is counter intuitive. it should be near the delete.
I put in the tivo address and hit ok thinking it would be in the config file. I thought
my app or network was broken for about an hour.. had to read the manual.

Same for the configure auto transfer screen.

we read from left to right, up to down..
so after i fill out the info...
I see the OK button and click it.
The add/remove/update intuitively for me, would be following the information
i just entered, not before it. That would be an improvement in the UI IMO.

other than that, i'm very very excited. I just found the app because I had
googled hoping to find a new version of tivo desktop that didn't have a memory leak.
So i'm very happy today Now i can get stuff from tivo and re-encode it so
i can watch on on my phone through orb THANK YOU!

Last edited by infin8007 : 01-09-2009 at 05:58 PM.
Old 01-16-2009, 03:55 PM   #465
jrusch

Is there something wrong with my computer? I am running this program on a 2Ghz Pentium 4 PC with 768mb of RAM.

I selected a 30 minute show that was recorded in HD. I selected the option to decrypt and encode (h264_high_rate). The show downloaded in the "normal" amount of time. Then the encoding started. It has been running now for over 15 hours. It is 197% complete.

How can I make this go faster? I checked Windows Task Manager and ffmpeg.exe is using 97% of the CPU.

If I use Tivo Desktop to convert a program it takes a couple of hours on the same computer.
jrusch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 04:35 PM   #466
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrusch View Post
Is there something wrong with my computer? I am running this program on a 2Ghz Pentium 4 PC with 768mb of RAM.

I selected a 30 minute show that was recorded in HD. I selected the option to decrypt and encode (h264_high_rate). The show downloaded in the "normal" amount of time. Then the encoding started. It has been running now for over 15 hours. It is 197% complete.

How can I make this go faster? I checked Windows Task Manager and ffmpeg.exe is using 97% of the CPU.

If I use Tivo Desktop to convert a program it takes a couple of hours on the same computer.
197% complete obviously sounds very suspicious. Something is going wrong with the encoding. It's undocumented but if you are encoding using GUI if you select the job in job monitor and then press Ctrl+s a little window with output from ffmpeg will show up. I suggest you bring that up and look for errors.
Other way to do it is copy the full ffmpeg command that is printed in kmttg message window and paste to to a batch file and run it from command line and then you can see any errors more easily.
If you have VideoRedo available then I would suggest running mpeg2 through Quickstream Fix before encoding as that usually clears up any problems with mpeg2 which can cause subsequent problems with encodings.
Finally one more thing to try is a different encoding profile such as the med_rate.

Old 01-16-2009, 05:26 PM   #467
westside_guy
Annoyingly ephemeral

Handbrake - "Web optimized"?

Hey all,

This may be a dumb question, but I can't find any documentation on what this option actually does. Anyone know what's actually different if you check the "Web optimized" box in Handbrake?

Thanks!
westside_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 05:49 PM   #468
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by westside_guy View Post
Hey all,

This may be a dumb question, but I can't find any documentation on what this option actually does. Anyone know what's actually different if you check the "Web optimized" box in Handbrake?

Thanks!
I think what that does for mpeg4 encodings is moves the moov atom to the front of the file similar to what qt-faststart tool does. That information is needed up front in the file for streaming applications which may not have access to the full file over the web up-front.

Old 01-25-2009, 07:16 AM   #469
ehagberg

Something's gone missing, it appears, in the latest version of kmttg, as it never calls the comskipCheck subroutine anywhere, so it always leaves behind .log, .logo.txt and .txt files if you run comskip. Am I the only one bothered by this?

I'd noticed this a while ago, but didn't get around to checking through the code to see where the problem was until today.

On looking some more, it appears you have two choices, if you are using VideoReDo and kmttg... both of which result in some files left behind when you don't want them:

- set output_edl=1 in the comskip.ini. This will get the .logo.txt, .log and .txt files to be deleted, because the code now sees that there's a .edl file and believes that comskip worked... but then you're left with a .edl file still, that's not deleted even if you set the flag to delete .edl files after processing.

- set output_edl=0 in the comskip.ini... This will result in no .edl file being left behind, but you'll still have the .logo.txt, .log and .txt files from comskip left behind, because there was no .edl file, so the program assumes that comskip failed.

Last edited by ehagberg : 01-25-2009 at 07:41 AM.
ehagberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 12:39 PM   #470
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehagberg View Post
Something's gone missing, it appears, in the latest version of kmttg, as it never calls the comskipCheck subroutine anywhere, so it always leaves behind .log, .logo.txt and .txt files if you run comskip. Am I the only one bothered by this?

I'd noticed this a while ago, but didn't get around to checking through the code to see where the problem was until today.

On looking some more, it appears you have two choices, if you are using VideoReDo and kmttg... both of which result in some files left behind when you don't want them:

- set output_edl=1 in the comskip.ini. This will get the .logo.txt, .log and .txt files to be deleted, because the code now sees that there's a .edl file and believes that comskip worked... but then you're left with a .edl file still, that's not deleted even if you set the flag to delete .edl files after processing.

- set output_edl=0 in the comskip.ini... This will result in no .edl file being left behind, but you'll still have the .logo.txt, .log and .txt files from comskip left behind, because there was no .edl file, so the program assumes that comskip failed.
As currently programmed kmttg always assumes output_edl=1 to be set in comskip.ini and that .edl file is the primary output to check for comskip run.
The actual deletion of .edl file only happens after successful comcut step (see end of comcutCheck procedure) and if you have the "Remove .edl & .mpg files after comcut" option enabled.
i.e. the current assumption is that if you run comskip you will also run comcut if you want the .edl file cleanup to happen. If you are not enabling comcut then the assumption is you will need comskip output for whatever else you are doing with it so no sense in deleting comskip output at that stage.
I realize the coding is pretty poor for comskip/comcut and personally I don't ever use those steps as I prefer to edit out commercials manually, but suggestions to improve coming from people that actually use these features is welcome.

Last edited by moyekj : 01-25-2009 at 12:46 PM.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:46 PM   #471
ehagberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
As currently programmed kmttg always assumes output_edl=1 to be set in comskip.ini and that .edl file is the primary output to check for comskip run.
The actual deletion of .edl file only happens after successful comcut step (see end of comcutCheck procedure) and if you have the "Remove .edl & .mpg files after comcut" option enabled.
i.e. the current assumption is that if you run comskip you will also run comcut if you want the .edl file cleanup to happen. If you are not enabling comcut then the assumption is you will need comskip output for whatever else you are doing with it so no sense in deleting comskip output at that stage.
I realize the coding is pretty poor for comskip/comcut and personally I don't ever use those steps as I prefer to edit out commercials manually, but suggestions to improve coming from people that actually use these features is welcome.
I am enabling both comskip and comcut, but if you use VideoReDo (because mencoder just doesn't handle most of the streams I'm getting from my tivo), then it doesn't ever go through the comcutCheck procedure, as it uses adcut instead, and adcutCheck doesn't delete the .edl file.

Something should delete it if you expect comskip to generate it.
ehagberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 06:09 PM   #472
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehagberg View Post
I am enabling both comskip and comcut, but if you use VideoReDo (because mencoder just doesn't handle most of the streams I'm getting from my tivo), then it doesn't ever go through the comcutCheck procedure, as it uses adcut instead, and adcutCheck doesn't delete the .edl file.

Something should delete it if you expect comskip to generate it.
Good point, deletion of .edl file should be added to adcutCheck cleanup section. Just add the following around line 3161:
unlink($$job_ptr{edlFile});
(already added above to my devel version for next release)

Old 01-27-2009, 09:33 AM   #473
citivolus

guide data causing problem?

I recently noticed one of my kids' shows (Tivi 5-Animated Children's Programs) stopped downloading even though new episodes are being recorded on the Tivo. It seems that kmttg is determining that the Program ID is the same for each show (ProgramID=SH010275900000). Is this a problem with the guide data being downloaded by Tivo? If so how do I fix it? It was working a few weeks ago. I have FIOS service being fed to my TivoHD.

thanks!
citivolus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:33 AM   #474
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by citivolus View Post
I recently noticed one of my kids' shows (Tivi 5-Animated Children's Programs) stopped downloading even though new episodes are being recorded on the Tivo. It seems that kmttg is determining that the Program ID is the same for each show (ProgramID=SH010275900000). Is this a problem with the guide data being downloaded by Tivo? If so how do I fix it? It was working a few weeks ago. I have FIOS service being fed to my TivoHD.

thanks!
I have that situation as well for a repeat manual recording of a Fox News show, but it's been that way for a long time. I just assumed the problem was only for manual recordings. How is that show setup to record on your Tivo(s)? Is it a repeat manual recording, season pass or wishlist? If there is some alternate unique identifier for a show I'd like to use it instead but back when I looked into it I didn't find one.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:56 PM   #475
citivolus

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
How is that show setup to record on your Tivo(s)? Is it a repeat manual recording, season pass or wishlist?
It's a season pass, set to record both first-run as well as repeats. but the shows are definitely different, just maybe they have the same episode info in the guide. is there anything I can do about this? maybe disable the history functionality in kmttg for that keyword combination?
Old 01-28-2009, 10:07 PM   #476
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by citivolus View Post
It's a season pass, set to record both first-run as well as repeats. but the shows are definitely different, just maybe they have the same episode info in the guide. is there anything I can do about this? maybe disable the history functionality in kmttg for that keyword combination?
Easiest workaround I can think of right now is to edit out the entry in auto.history file. Now problem with that is if there are multiple episodes of the show to download then each one will add the same entry back and prevent future ones from downloading.
You also have option of just downloading them manually using kmttg (not using auto mode for those).
Give me the details of the show and if I have access to it I can record a couple of episodes and see if there is a better solution.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:53 AM   #477
citivolus

Thanks moyekj. The show is called "TiVi 5-Animated Children's programs". It's a series of cartoons in French on the station TV5 Monde which on my FiOS system is #1771.

I could edit the auto.history and remove the entry, but it would come right back again. As a short workaround I was suggesting adding an option to kmttg to disable the checking of history for each entry (in the Configure screen) so it would continue to skip repeats of my other (well-behaved) shows.

thanks!
Old 01-31-2009, 12:58 PM   #478
moyekj

New version released

I think this version addresses some of the most recent issues/requests.

------------------
v0.5h (01/31/2009)
------------------
ENHANCEMENTS:
* FILES entry is now permanent option and first choice in Tivos cyclic.
(removed option of enabling/disabling FILES support as it was not very
intuitive to have an option and leave it off by default).
* seriesId is now included in metadata file if available.
* Added Zune encoding profile.
* Added capability to ignore history checking for specific programId's. This
is useful for certain shows that always have same programId even for
different episodes. Those shows are prevented from being auto downloaded
once programId is added first time to history file.
You can setup an exception for these shows by adding <ignorehistory>
entries to auto.ini file as in following example:
<ignorehistory>
SH1940720000

FIXES:
* Add deletion of .edl file when VRD is used for comcut step and the
"Remove .edl & .mpg files after comcut" option is set.
* Transform unicode data in metadata file generation from .TiVo files
* In config GUI moved DEL button to be right beside ADD button (cosmetic)

Old 02-02-2009, 11:44 AM   #479
jangelj

moyekj,
So far I LOVE kmttg.

I want to put it on my wife's PC to have her shows archived/encoded for her mp4 player, and I'd like it on my PC to do the same for my shows. Do you know if the tivo will support connections from 2 PCs running kmttg at the same time? Not that they will always be downloading shows at the exact same time, but it could happen.

Thanks!
John
jangelj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:36 PM   #480
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by jangelj View Post
moyekj,
So far I LOVE kmttg.

I want to put it on my wife's PC to have her shows archived/encoded for her mp4 player, and I'd like it on my PC to do the same for my shows. Do you know if the tivo will support connections from 2 PCs running kmttg at the same time? Not that they will always be downloading shows at the exact same time, but it could happen.

Thanks!
John
A single tivo will not allow two downloads at the same time (from the same computer or from different computers -- doesn't matter). In fact, it can lead to annoying dropped connections halfway through a download.

Yoav is offline   Reply With Quote