TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-13-2008, 11:25 PM   #2791
jaxgent

Upgrade from 6.2

I have two zippered RCA series 2 DTV tivo's. I would like like to upgrade them to the latest ver 6.x. Would the latest zipper instructions do this for me?

Do I need to pull the drives and reimage? This thread is so huge that some searches are frustrating!

Sorry if this post is in the wrong place. I can't find a new post button, only replies.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:58 PM   #2792
sk33t3r

Zipper is not going to update your OS at all. Zipper just applies hacks or tools to the OS. There are seveal other threads on upgrading to 6.4. You can use getslice to download the slices then you will need the latest slicer to install them.
HR21-200
HR20-100
DRD420re
sk33t3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 08:16 PM   #2793
spnewman

I ran this script twice, it downloaded the current version, it works great, for except is does not do its weekly reboots. Is there something I can check? I answered correctly in the install script. I have a phone line plugged in for caller id, so reboots must occur. Any Ideas??
spnewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 05:43 PM   #2794
Matt L

Question...

I've been getting the Hard Drive error message for some time now, and it seems to slow down loading of the menu. Though my HD was failing so I pulled it, backed it up to another drive and ran WD tools on it. With the full test 0 error were reported. What is the script seeing that the diagnostic tools are not? BTW, the cover is off my HR10-250 so it is not a heat issue
Matt L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 08:01 PM   #2795
byrd

Okay, I think i must be a complete moron, because I seem to be having difficulties with the most rudimentary portions of the tweak.sh install.

I've got a couple tivos (HDVR2 and RCA DVR80) both ungraded with PTVNET. I've been trying the get the tweak.sh installed on the HDVR2 but have the following basic questions:

1) What directory to I run the tweak.sh from on the tivo?
2) Are there any mods to Ptvnet that need to be made before installing? Or can I just install tweak.sh right over Ptvnet? There were some mentioned earlier in this tread, but I'm not sure if they are necessary anymore. For what it's worth, Ptvnet is installed in /ptvupgrade (of which, TivoWebPlus is a subdirectory).
3) I tried to run tweak.sh a couple times prior to posting these questions. I tried to run it from / and /var by typing the following "tivosh tweak.sh" Each time I get the following message:

wrong # args: no script following "[ -d /enhancements ]" argument
while compiling
"if [ - d /enhancments ]"
(file "tweak.sh" line 15")

Thanks for the help for what I'm sure are very simple issues. It's been a LONG time since I've really messed around in linux, and I've really be fumbling my way around will playing with my tivos recently.
byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 08:35 PM   #2796
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrd View Post
Okay, I think i must be a complete moron, because I seem to be having difficulties with the most rudimentary portions of the tweak.sh install.

I've got a couple tivos (HDVR2 and RCA DVR80) both ungraded with PTVNET. I've been trying the get the tweak.sh installed on the HDVR2 but have the following basic questions:

1) What directory to I run the tweak.sh from on the tivo?
2) Are there any mods to Ptvnet that need to be made before installing? Or can I just install tweak.sh right over Ptvnet? There were some mentioned earlier in this tread, but I'm not sure if they are necessary anymore. For what it's worth, Ptvnet is installed in /ptvupgrade (of which, TivoWebPlus is a subdirectory).
3) I tried to run tweak.sh a couple times prior to posting these questions. I tried to run it from / and /var by typing the following "tivosh tweak.sh" Each time I get the following message:

wrong # args: no script following "[ -d /enhancements ]" argument
while compiling
"if [ - d /enhancments ]"
(file "tweak.sh" line 15")

Thanks for the help for what I'm sure are very simple issues. It's been a LONG time since I've really messed around in linux, and I've really be fumbling my way around will playing with my tivos recently.
Try

Code:
sh ./tweak.sh
It should not matter where you put tweak.sh.

I have tested it on the current versions of PTVnet (which actually include tweak.sh in /ptvupgrade/bin) running on 6.2a and 6.4a on SD boxes).

Lou

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

tivoupgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:06 AM   #2797
byrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoupgrade View Post
Try

Code:
sh ./tweak.sh

I have tested it on the current versions of PTVnet (which actually include tweak.sh in /ptvupgrade/bin) running on 6.2a and 6.4a on SD boxes).

Lou
Thanks for the help!

So, when I install tweak.sh should I still need to delete my previously installed version of TivoWebPlus (that installed with Ptvnet in the /ptvupgrade/TivoWebPlus directory) or make any mods to the rc.sysinit.author to keep two keep instances of TivoWebPlus from running? This was mentioned in the first dozen or so pages of this thread, but I know there have been a lot of changes since then, and I haven't had any luck searching through the full 95 pages.

Also, I did try "./tweak.sh" last night, but did use the "sh" before that. I'll give that a shot tonight. And finally, I purchased my copy of Ptvnet in mid September (SW-PTVNET-DL-321), but I don't think it has tweak.sh in the /ptvupgrade/bin directory. Not that it maters since it's readily available here...

Thanks again!
Old 10-28-2008, 08:04 PM   #2798
byrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoupgrade View Post
Try

Lou

For some reason, I still can't seem to get the tweak.sh script to run. Every time I run the script, I get the following back:

Code:
bash-2.02#  sh ./tweak.sh
: command not found
./tweak.sh: line 32: syntax error near unexpected token 'fi'
'/tweak.sh: line 32: '              fi
Since so many other folks have obviously already got this up and running, I doubt there's an issue with the script at line 32. What am I missing here? Do I need to add something to my $PATH to get the script to run from the current directory (running tweak.sh from /ptvupgrade/bin)?

Thanks again!
Old 10-29-2008, 04:40 PM   #2799
sliderbob

Love the script....

I love the script, but is there a way to have 6.4a items-like a deleted category and time of recording description, without having to upgrade to 6.4a?
sliderbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 10:55 PM   #2800
byrd

Finally got the script to run.

My only issues now are that the name of the Tivo is not displayed at the top of the menus as show on page one of this thread. Also, the Menu Editor doesn't seem to work. I can't move anything around. I'd like to organize a menu similar to the screenshot on the first page of this script. Could these problems be because I appear to have two copies of TivoWebPlus installed (one in / and one in /ptvupgrade)?? How can I verify that only one is running? Other menu items such as NetConfig seem to show that the enhancement script worked as expected.

As for my original issues:

Turns out that the problem was a dos2unix issue. I was using the UltraEdit text editor to do the conversion, and apparently it wasn't working correctly. So I did a dos2unix on the script file on the tivo itself, and the script ran.

However, I then started having CR/LF problems using the windows telnet app. I tried running using Putty but had the same issues. I finally figured out that I could run the windows telnet app in interactive mode by simply typing "telnet" with no host name. Then I typed "unset crlf". At that point I could do an "open hostname", and run the script.

I've been chasing my tail a good bit, but I think I'm getting close. Now I need to get the script installed on my second Directivo.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:32 AM   #2801
ttodd1
Proud Computer Geek

gee this seems very simular to:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=412831

You might want to try posting it in the actual Sapper thread.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:09 PM   #2802
gbakakos

I'm getting the Following when trying to run Tweak.sh

Your telnet client is adding extra line feeds, causing this script to fail.
No problem. Just re-run the script again using the "Additional
Directions for Windows XP users", or use a different telnet client with
the proper CR/LF settings. Exiting now...

What Additional Directions for Windows XP users?????
gbakakos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 07:57 AM   #2803
bengalfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbakakos View Post
I'm getting the Following when trying to run Tweak.sh

Your telnet client is adding extra line feeds, causing this script to fail.
No problem. Just re-run the script again using the "Additional
Directions for Windows XP users", or use a different telnet client with
the proper CR/LF settings. Exiting now...

What Additional Directions for Windows XP users?????
Check out this topic under the Zipper Wiki.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:03 AM   #2804
gbakakos

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalfreak View Post
Check out this topic under the Zipper Wiki.
Thanks much got it working.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:37 AM   #2805
gbakakos

7.2 to 9.3 upgrade

I have gotten myself back to 7.2 on my Toshiba SD-H400 box. When I attempted to apply the slicer script to it and then rebooted I lost my Telnet and FTP. I did not add the 2.0 USB drivers. I have a WUSB11 USB WiFi Wireless TiVo Adapter. As it sits right now my box has the 9.3 upgrade ready to be loaded. But if I do that I will loose my Telnet and FTP.

So what would be the proper way to get this upgrade down without loosing the Telnet and FTP.

I was given some information a while back when I went from 7.2 to 9.1 and it seemed to work fine. Tried that again but it did not work. Below is what I did in RED.

Ok. Attached is a zip file with 2 files in it (test.conf and vmlinux.px). test.conf is a little script that runs monte, and vmlinux.px is a 9.1 kernel that I've fixed so it won't blow your hacks away.

Go to ddb, jamie's monte attachment in the 2nd post. Open it up and get the "monte" file. Look in the 2.4.20 folder and get the kmonte.o file.

Go back to TCF, here : http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/sho...d.php?t=370876 and download my upgrade script from the first post. I've fixed it slightly to work for this type of situation and reattached it earlier today.

Check to see if you've got 9.1 slices ready, ie : echo mls /SwSystem | tivosh

Do everything in exactly this order:

Telnet to your box and make a "/chainload" folder, ie : mkdir -p /chainload
Ftp the vmlinux.px, monte, and kmonte.o files into your new chainload directory.
Ftp test.conf to root (/).
Then ftp over upgrade.sh anywhere on your tivo, doesn't matter where.
Make sure of course to transfer everything in binary mode, these aren't all just text files and can get ruined if transferred in ACSII.
Once everything is in place, run upgrade.sh. DO NOT copy over usb drivers when it asks. We need to be using the stock drivers since you're using wireless and our software is 9.1. When upgrade.sh finishes, reboot and when your tivo comes back everything should be fine.

It did work but it did not work when I attempted to do this again. Can anyone add anything to this that may make it work.

Or have another way of doing this???

Any help out there on this? has anyone brought 9.3 down and if so how did you keep the Network stuff working????
Old 12-12-2008, 11:37 AM   #2806
rbautch
User

I suggest asking the question here where the upgrade script you used is discussed. If you're a novice, I'd ditch monte, reimage, and rehack your tivo using a killhdinitrd kernel. Use the Sapper if you want an automated way to do it. Slice upgrades will be much simpler after that, and the Slicer or upgrade.sh scripts should work fine. If you're still having trouble, I'd also get a wired adapter and/or a serial cable to troubleshoot issues that may be caused by the wireless adapter.

or

rbautch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:49 PM   #2807
leecallen

Close but not quite

I have a Series 2 standalone TiVo.

I have successfully re-imaged it (7.2.0), installed Sapper, and ran the enhancments script. It is working on my wireless LAN, and I can access it via telnet and TWP.

What isn't working: it does not see my 'tivoserver'.

I should point out that there is no TV signal connected to the device. When I select "Now Playing", I see an empty screen telling me how to record programs. That is where I hope to see the tivoserver.

When I select "System Information" I see some strange entries:

DVR Name: <Name this DVR on tivo.com>
(I have done this, and connected to the TiVo service, and rebooted the TiVo, and this does not change. I also changed the name via the MRV settings under TWP.)

Multi-Room Viewing: Inactive (it is Active on tivo.com)

Any ideas? It seems I am very close.

Thanks.
leecallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 02:57 PM   #2808
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by leecallen View Post
I have a Series 2 standalone TiVo.

I have successfully re-imaged it (7.2.0), installed Sapper, and ran the enhancments script. It is working on my wireless LAN, and I can access it via telnet and TWP.

What isn't working: it does not see my 'tivoserver'.

I should point out that there is no TV signal connected to the device. When I select "Now Playing", I see an empty screen telling me how to record programs. That is where I hope to see the tivoserver.

When I select "System Information" I see some strange entries:

DVR Name: <Name this DVR on tivo.com>
(I have done this, and connected to the TiVo service, and rebooted the TiVo, and this does not change. I also changed the name via the MRV settings under TWP.)

Multi-Room Viewing: Inactive (it is Active on tivo.com)

Any ideas? It seems I am very close.

Thanks.
You need to run tvapppatch.tcl, which you can find on DDB. It's the replacement for superpatch.

or

Old 01-02-2009, 02:59 PM   #2809
Lord Vader
Dark Lord ofthe Sith

Been a while since I've done this, Russ. That replacement file for superpatch--what does it do exactly? Just curious to know what it does and when it should be used.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:40 PM   #2810
leecallen

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbautch View Post
You need to run tvapppatch.tcl, which you can find on DDB. It's the replacement for superpatch.
Thanks for the response. I tried that, but it didn't work.

It looks like tvapppatch is for version 9.3.2 only, I am running 7.2.0. I applied superpatch earlier, a version that supports 7.2.0.

Do you think the problem is with my tivoapp binary?
leecallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 06:02 PM   #2811
zdude1

How can I run the script from serial bash if networking is not working yet?

I have an HR10-250 running 6.3f, been Zippered and enhanced a while back. I noticed that my newer recordings were encrypted, so I wanted to run tweak.sh again to get the latest, and get encryption disabled.

When I ran it, it of course asked if I wanted to uninstall it first, so I hit Y. It uninstalled fine, then started the install. During the backing up and re-installing of usb2.0 drivers, it just hang and never progressed. I left it for about an hour. When I came back to it, it had no new screen output. I ^C'd to get the bash prompt again. I re-ran tweak.sh and uninstalled fine, it downloaded fine, started installing, and again hung at the same point.

I ran it again, and this time I said N to the usb2.0 drivers for enhanced extraction speed. Well it completed fine, but as expected, I lost my networking.

I then connected with serial cable and get a bash prompt. I tried to run it via serial, and it uninstalled, then of course can't resolve DNS and can't get the download file. So now I have an unenhanced HR10.

Am I doing something terribly stupid here? I can't figure which way to go next, but it obviously has to be either serial or pull the drive.
----------------------------------------
Update: OK, I figured out how to send the rbautch_files.tgz into the /hacks dir via serial cable/hyperterm. Then I run sh tweak.sh, and it still seems to stop (hang) when it gets to "backing up old drivers....installing new drivers", but it finally kept going. It's a bit confusing over the serial cable, bc it keeps spitting out junk about scram, chunk keys, etc. in the middle of my script output! But it looks like it's going

Yep, worked like a champ. I had to go back in via serial and set the ip/network settings, then rebooted and all is good....

Last edited by zdude1 : 03-23-2009 at 09:24 PM.
zdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 04:42 AM   #2812
artships

Tivo HD running 11.0b-01-2-652 - Used your SAPPER on it and learned a lot. Thanks!

folders.tcl v2.7 appears to work. I created a folder named Movies and moved several movies to it. Options 4a lists them as being in "WISHLIST Movies".

The "Movies" folder does not appear on the tivo, though. Folderize in TivoWebPlus doesn't work, either. Need help looking through MFS?
artships is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 12:12 AM   #2813
genebaker

Restore USB drivers

Zipper tweak.sh failed midway, and I have now lost telnet/bash. Light does not come on on my USB network adapter, so I think my USB driver needs to be restored. Tried to do this by pulling the hard drive and running tweak.sh, but cannot proceed because dns is not resolved and/or the updated files cannot be downloaded from internet because the pc is booted to linux, and I have no idea how to enable internet access with the linux boot disk.

My hard drive (Phillips dsr7000, 6.4a software) has already been zippered. Can I restore usb/telnet/ftp with the hard drive in my pc using the files that are already on the hard drive from previous zippers and/or zipper updates? I do not have a serial cable. Thanks.
genebaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 09:23 AM   #2814
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by genebaker View Post
Zipper tweak.sh failed midway, and I have now lost telnet/bash. Light does not come on on my USB network adapter, so I think my USB driver needs to be restored. Tried to do this by pulling the hard drive and running tweak.sh, but cannot proceed because dns is not resolved and/or the updated files cannot be downloaded from internet because the pc is booted to linux, and I have no idea how to enable internet access with the linux boot disk.

My hard drive (Phillips dsr7000, 6.4a software) has already been zippered. Can I restore usb/telnet/ftp with the hard drive in my pc using the files that are already on the hard drive from previous zippers and/or zipper updates? I do not have a serial cable. Thanks.
Yes you can. Mount the drive and copy the original stock drivers back. Assuming you mounted your tivo drive in /tivo, you can use:
Code:
cp -f /tivo/lib/modules/backups-orig/* /tivo/lib/modules
Otherwise, just rerun the Zipper.

or

Old 07-29-2009, 12:56 PM   #2815
genebaker

Intermittent reboots - most annoying!

So I was able to re-Zipper and get network, TWP, etc. running again under 6.4a software.

Now I'm back to my original problem: intermittent, seemingly patternless re-boots of my Phillips DSR7000 unit. I have checked the hard drive, which checks out clean under SMART. I have replaced a suspicious capacitor on the unit's power supply and added an additional capacitor; the unit is plugged into a UPS. This leaves me suspicious of the Zipper hacks as causing the reboots.

a) Do you think the Zipper hacks could be the culprit?
b) Is there a way to completely uninstall Zipper to see if the reboot problem improves?

Thanks.
genebaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:52 PM   #2816
bengalfreak

rbautch,

the latest version of the script/TivoWebplus does not show the Tivo's name on the main menu screen as it used to. Any way to get this back?
Old 07-30-2009, 02:23 PM   #2817
rbautch
User

Quote:
rbautch,

the latest version of the script/TivoWebplus does not show the Tivo's name on the main menu screen as it used to. Any way to get this back?
Here's the line from the enhancement script that used to change the name:
Code:
cat /TivoWebPlus/load.tcl | sed -e "s/TivoWebPlus/TivoWebPlus - $bashname/" > /TivoWebPlus/temp
In the load.tcl file, it replaced the text string "TivoWebPlus" with "TivoWebPlus- $bashname". Not sure why I removed it or if it still works, but you can try manually editing load.tcl.

or

Old 07-30-2009, 07:47 PM   #2818
bengalfreak

Thanks, I'll give it a shot.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:03 PM   #2819
bengalfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbautch View Post
Not sure why I removed it or if it still works, but you can try manually editing load.tcl.

I see why you removed the line from the enhancement script. The phrase "TivoWebPlus" no longer appears in the file 'load.tcl' anywhere.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:13 AM   #2820
texster

Quote:
I see why you removed the line from the enhancement script. The phrase "TivoWebPlus" no longer appears in the file 'load.tcl' anywhere.
Maybe this has something to do with it? Read the following 6 posts starting with:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...32#post5382835
texster is offline   Reply With Quote