TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-29-2008, 05:39 PM   #91
NowPlaying

Add me to the list of people who can't dial in. I fired up my old Sony SVR-2000 series 1 Tivo with Lifetime today. I am thinking of giving it to my in-laws. It worked fine the last time I used it but now it can't connect. I've made many test calls, most failed but one was a success. When making a daily call it usually gets to Downloading, then after sitting there a long time I get the "Failed: Call Interrupted" message.

Here are some of the messages I have received.

Failed: Service Unavailable
Failed: Call Interrupted
Failed: Service Not Answering

Does anyone know why this is happening?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
NowPlaying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 06:22 PM   #92
KevOnTheDncFlr
KevOnTheDncFlr

My Philips HDR212 Series 1 (Software version 3.0-01-1-000, Lifetime service) has been unable to successfully download for most of December. There have been a few periods where downloads were successful for several days.
My last successful call this time was at 04:43am, 27-Dec-08. (Calling Cambridge and Newton, MA from Watertown over RCN (our Comcast competition) cable phone lines. The same thing happens whether I use telephone or internet.)

I made several extra downloads for the few days it was working and they all worked. So I'm feeling my system is not to blame.

I have the CacheCard version of TurboNet on a single 320GB drive from DVRUpgrade, installed 2 Oct 2008. So it does have a little more capacity than the dual 160GB drives that I had from Weaknees for 4 years. And it worked fine for 2 months. I also installed a new power supply from WeaKnees in September in the hopes of bringing my dual 160s back to life. This'll really suck if my Lifetime gives out after my latest investments.
KevOnTheDncFlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 07:23 PM   #93
NowPlaying

I've been forcing calls all afternoon and finally got one to complete after about a dozen tries.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:25 PM   #94
a68oliver

I came back on the 16th from a week long trip to find my SVR-2000 S1 had failed on calls for about 4 days.

I reconfigured call waiting and call detection and bypassed the surge supressor on the phone line. I forced some test calls and daily calls. Sometimes the test calls would fail and sometimes they would complete. The same thing happened on the forced daily calls.

However, if I finally got a "downloading" message, after a few call interupted messages, the call would complete. I believe the poster that said the calls are cumulative is correct.

Then I left it alone for a few days and it successfully completed calls. Now, I see it is failing again. I forced about a half dozen daily calls today and after a couple of call interupted messages, I again have completed the download of data.
Tivo HD November 2007
a68oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:34 AM   #95
spiritual7djs

tivo series 1 failure to download guide

I'm new to the community, but I too began having problems with my guide update for my series 1 earlier this month. I just got off the phone with tech support and they told me that my series 1 is not supported with digital phone, but I've only just begun having problems and I got Vonage what will be 3 years next month. Ran out of guide on 12/11 but was able to update on 12/14 which lasted until 12/26 and I've been out ever since. I've never run out before. Why now?

Tivo tech said I need an analog phone line in order for them to be able to help me. If this is their way of forcing me to upgrade and lose my lifetime service, well that's just plain wrong. There has to be something we can do about this.

But just to make sure it's not my VoIP causing this problem, is anyone one using an old fashion land line but still experiencing this problem please post.

Last edited by spiritual7djs : 12-30-2008 at 06:29 AM.
spiritual7djs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 01:03 AM   #96
NowPlaying

I have an old fashioned POTS line and am having big problems connecting. I have a fax that uses the same phone line with no problems. I also have a Series 2 Tivo that is connecting. What is the deal with Series 1 Tivos being unable to call in?

Old 12-30-2008, 05:57 AM   #97
samro

I also use an old fashioned phone line and the download failures have been happening all month; countless forced calls without success and no more program guide data. No help, no support, no customer service, no way am I upgrading my Series 1.
samro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 09:17 AM   #98
sgzinger

First post...I have an SVR2000 that wouldn't download since Thanksgiving save once...no help from TIVO despite calls in to tech support. Been forcing calls since then and one finally went through on 12-28. Trying each day since then with no luck. I thought I was alone till I happened upon this thread!

This is a bare bones setup, no changes to the box and connecting with an analog phone line. This bad boy had been working flawlessly for me for seven years.

Ridiculously frustrated and disappointed in TIVO. If not for my lifetime service, I would just get the cable DVR as I have lost much love for TIVO due to their unresponsiveness. I was a loyal TIVO devotee, telling anyone I could about how great they are (including service). That is all being lost with this sad display.

If they are just forcing us out, then I wish they would tell us rather than putting us through this frustration. If this is not a force-out than let us know something is up on their end...obviously something has changed - communicate with us what it is.
sgzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 09:40 AM   #99
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

I've had the problem for a lot longer. This stuff was happening to me a year ago and ceased when I started connecting over a CacheCard. While troubleshooting the problem, I tried different call-in numbers and tried slowing down the baud rate to 9600 and the problem persisted. My theory is that my telephone line was "muxed". That's when the phone company deliberately halves or quarters the already limited bandwidth of POTS service. You may perceive it as hearing voices on the phone sound tinny because the full range of sound frequencies is clipped. In some cases this is accomplished digitally and so this will affect modem calls every time.

I'm hoping this is a problem with the Tivo mothership that can be fixed, but I suspect that the people having the problem have muxed telephone lines.
dcstager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 09:52 AM   #100
mec1991
Cranky old coot

Update on my situation as of Dec. 30: left alone it still will not complete a call by itself. I forced calls again till it went through on the 5th try.

Nothing has changed on my end as far as phone service (POTS) and I have tried all the usual troubleshooting things like unplugging, switching the detection circuits back and forth, changing call in numbers, etc.

If anyone at TiVo would like my TSN or further information, please PM me and I will gladly supply whatever you need if it will help.

I realize the company is most likely understaffed during the holidays like most everyone else and have not bothered to call them.
mec1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 10:20 AM   #101
BobCamp1

Quote:
Originally Posted by twey View Post
I have ADSL line. The filter is at jointion box. I can heard the high pitch noise before the filter but not after. The noise is not just carrier. It vary with the activity somewhat. I will guess there is a bad amp in the line somewhere which cause the beatting. Far from the CO has some disadvantage. I can repeate this when I have some spare time.
That high-pitch sound, from what I understand, is normal. If the filter is taking care of it, then everything should be OK. Analog modems only use up to 4 kHz, the human ear can hear up to 23 kHz. High-pitched sounds shouldn't be interfering with the modem.

If the high pitch noise was interfering, your test calls wouldn't work either. Try 10 or 20 test calls and see what happens. Do they work? If they don't consistently work then you have a phone line, phone, DSL modem, or filter issue. If it works well enough for the test call, the daily should be fine from a modem's perspective.

Considering people with Turbonet cards are also suddenly having problems, I don't think it's a modem issue.
BobCamp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 10:31 AM   #102
BobCamp1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstager View Post
I've had the problem for a lot longer. This stuff was happening to me a year ago and ceased when I started connecting over a CacheCard. While troubleshooting the problem, I tried different call-in numbers and tried slowing down the baud rate to 9600 and the problem persisted. My theory is that my telephone line was "muxed". That's when the phone company deliberately halves or quarters the already limited bandwidth of POTS service. You may perceive it as hearing voices on the phone sound tinny because the full range of sound frequencies is clipped. In some cases this is accomplished digitally and so this will affect modem calls every time.

I'm hoping this is a problem with the Tivo mothership that can be fixed, but I suspect that the people having the problem have muxed telephone lines.
My telephone line isn't muxed. My other modems and fax machine work just fine. My Tivo test calls work fine. My Tivo service is suddenly limping along.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:23 PM   #103
klentz

Mine started doing the same (Service Unavailable). It's a Phillips S1 with lifetime subscription. After a call to Tivo, they said to call the manufacturer. I did find out that if you have a S1 with a lifetime subscription purchased prior to 1999, they will transfer your subscription to a new Tivo. I think it's time we started sending letters to Tivo. I'm going to send one that they need to either fix the problem, send us new Tivo's that work and transfer our lifetime subscriptions, or I'm getting a lawyer. This is clearly a violation of their service agreement.
klentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 06:32 PM   #104
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCamp1 View Post
My telephone line isn't muxed. My other modems and fax machine work just fine. My Tivo test calls work fine. My Tivo service is suddenly limping along.
Test calls work fine for me as well. It's the longer regular calls that don't work. It could still be some kind of digital reprocessing somewhere along the path to the Tivo mothership that doesn't affect other destinations. Very often the calls proceed for a bit, hang, and eventually time out and fail.
dcstager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 01:03 AM   #105
danm628

After Thanksgiving my S1 started failing daily calls. Repeated attempts could sometimes get it to succeed. Most failed with "call interrupted" status. I left on Christmas vacation assuming that I was going to either need a network card or to just retire it since I also have a S3.

When I returned on the 27th I noticed that it had succeeded on it's daily call. It has succeeded on all of the daily calls since I returned.

- Dan
danm628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:30 AM   #106
Buster

I still can't dial in. I'm beginning to think that TiVo has a very different idea of what "lifetime" means than I do...
Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 12:58 PM   #107
BobCamp1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstager View Post
Test calls work fine for me as well. It's the longer regular calls that don't work. It could still be some kind of digital reprocessing somewhere along the path to the Tivo mothership that doesn't affect other destinations. Very often the calls proceed for a bit, hang, and eventually time out and fail.
Yes, but with that problem the modems will usually not work at all. I'll see if I can "borrow" my telephone and line analyzer and examine the connection to the Tivo mothership. I'll also listen in and see if I can't hear anything out of the ordinary. The one thing I won't be able to do is to determine if the modem pool on the POP is completely working correctly. Though as I said, my educated guess says that's not the problem. Especially since S2 users aren't complaining.

Update: for the last three days, I've had "service unavailable, success, service unavailable".
Old 12-31-2008, 01:13 PM   #108
abenner

TIVO Support

Im having the same problems with my SVR-2000. Never in 9 years have I had an issue, but now suddenly I can't connect.

I waited 2 hours on hold to speak with the tech-support supervisor. He said he saw no trend in phone calls regarding this issue.

After telling him that I was not insane, I asked him that if everyone called would he look into it. he said yes.

His name is Adam and he is a tech support supervisor. Give him a ring and let him know that there is an issue with Series 1 devices.

Im sure he would love to hear from all of you.

Please make his New Year a pleasant one.

adi
abenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 01:36 PM   #109
dbranco

What number did you dial to reach Adam?
dbranco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 01:31 AM   #110
huard

Ok Tivo. It's pretty clear the issue is either with an upgrade you sent to our Series 1's or on the server side. Is anyone checking the server side of the transaction?
huard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 10:34 AM   #111
abenner

I called the main toll free number...connected with tech support and waited what seemed to be forever to get connected with a supervisor.
abenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 12:52 PM   #112
F. Jones
Gorilla at Large

I'm having the same problem. After a months-long fight getting TiVo to acknowledge the problem with the lack of Suggestions, I've pretty much given up on TiVo.

I don't know why they suddenly went from the strategy of cultivating customer loyalty to treating the customers like garbage in an attempt to drive them away from the company and the product, but I can say that their strategy has worked.

I'm done with TiVo.

I'm getting another DVR. Congrats to TiVo for making me hate them more than my much-despised cable company.
F. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 05:16 AM   #113
ggieseke

I think it's getting worse. Both of my SVR-2000s have been merrily downloading every day using AT&T DSL and TurboNet cards, but they both dropped dead after 12/29. That was the last successful download and now they get the same Service Unavailable error that everyone else seems to be getting.

I thought I was immune for some reason, but that's what I get for thinking.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 08:14 AM   #114
Webguideguy

add me to the list

OK! I too am having problems downloading with my OLD sony SVR 2000.

I can't remember when I bought this thingy, but I bought it as soon as SONY came out with their Tivo.

The internal modem pooped out at least 5 years ago and I've been running it on a external USR Sportster since then - I've never had any problems.

I blamed my vonage phone. (Which is absolute garbage by the way!) But after looking into it more I don't think I can blame vonage.

I'll keep trying but now I'm stuck in guided setup.

Webguide Guy
Webguideguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 09:01 AM   #115
mec1991
Cranky old coot

Made 9 calls last night...

Of the first 7:

6 failed during connecting.
1 failed during downloading.

Call 8 went through perfectly just like it has for the past 7 years or so, aside from the past few weeks anyway.

Call 9 also went through perfectly (I made the additional call just to see what would happen right after a successful call.)

Decided not to press my luck with a 10th and will leave it alone for a few days to see what happens.

The holidays are over and the company should be back at work so hopefully someone will take the time to respond to this thread.
mec1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 10:33 AM   #116
Seattle

I hooked up my series one last night and first I called in and got new local dial-in number. It took many calls but it finally did work. Next I called in to get guide data and it took 8 or more calls to get the data. I hope this gets fixed soon by TiVo.
Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 01:24 PM   #117
ggieseke

To follow up my earlier post - I just kept trying and trying and trying and trying........

Eventually enough stray packets made it through to complete the process but it wasn't exactly painless or easy. For now I am resigning myself to spending a few hours forcing daily calls every time the guide data runs low.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 09:02 PM   #118
trouser chili

Phillips Series 1 here, nothing but more fuel for the fire to report. Running version 3.0-01-1-000 with lifetime sub.

Last successful was Friday, Dec 26 at 10:22am. Dialing number 314-800-000

I beleive this unit was originally a 20gig, but may have been a 30, I don't remember anymore. I've replaced the drive twice over the years. It's now running a 120gig. I'm running a DirecTV receiver controlled via serial cable, and the internal modem died about two years back, so I have to force my calls as I have to unhook the DTV reciever from the serial connection and hook up the external modem (A Diamond Multimedia Supra Fax modem 28.8). I usually make calls every Sunday, but sometimes get out of wack due to vacations, time of year, whatever.

Anyway, I've noticed throughout December the likelyhood of calls failing steadily increasing. I figured maybe the drive was failing again (this drive, my third, has never been very good), or maybe this old unit was finally giving up in some way I wasn't going to understand. This was vexing to me as I've been working in computer networking for over 10 years now. Regardless I found this thread and decided to post what I know thus far.

I've forced 4 calls tonight where every one has failed with a "connection unavailable" error. I can hear the modem set up the connection properly and once the connection is established I can see on the modem lights a quick burst of transmit data, but the receive light never lights up in return. This could point to dial problems (I even went so far as to replace the cables and unhook every other phone in the house), but with so many reports on this board from so many different dial-in numbers and different types of connections now, I'm thinking no. It's gotta be higher in the stack.

Anyway, on the fifth forced call it looks like everything started going, it's still doing it's thing right now so I'll just have to see. I'm thinking I may still have an ancient protocol analyser at work that can passively sniff analog modem connections, on Monday when I go back to work I'll see if I can dig it up. Might be interesting to see what's on the wire with a packet capture.

Edit: Got my first "Failed. Call interrupted." message. FUN!
Second Edit: After 3 more calls with "connection unavailable" error, 4th call resulted in a short data transfer and then normal hangup behavior. Tivo now reports "loading data". I've always taken this message as meaning it's downloaded everything it needs from the modem, now it's going to crunch on the data for a while and import it into it's tables. Looks like I've got another two weeks of guide data, but I won't know for sure until the morning most likely.

Last edited by trouser chili : 01-02-2009 at 10:03 PM.
trouser chili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 09:50 PM   #119
dlee0708

My mother's SVR2000 with lifetime subscription has failed since 12/3/2008. Both Daily and Test calls fail.

My brother's SVR2000 with lifetime subscription has not had any failures.

Both have TurboNet cards.
dlee0708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 09:17 AM   #120
BobCamp1

Quote:
Originally Posted by huard View Post
Ok Tivo. It's pretty clear the issue is either with an upgrade you sent to our Series 1's or on the server side. Is anyone checking the server side of the transaction?
I could, but that would involve a lot of work.

I'd hook up an external modem, then sniff the communication between the Tivo and modem using Frontline's SerialTest Async. It will decode PPP for me as well. Then I can see if I'm getting anything back from the Tivo server. I have the tools, just not the time.

For those with analog external modems, look for the "CD" indicator. If it comes on, it's probably not a modem issue. I still haven't had a chance to analyze my line, but it's fiber from the end of my street back to the CO (FIOS is in the neighborhood but I don't have it yet). I don't think they halved my bandwidth, and I'm having some problems. But if the Rx light on the modem never comes on, I can't completely rule out a issue with the modems on Tivo's end.