TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-30-2008, 08:00 PM   #6001
HerronScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post
Each Comcast Region negotiates a Contract with their local PUC.

There is NO Consistency from one region to another.

Obviously your region is more cost effective than mine
I'd at least issue a complaint to the local franchise authority if I was being charged $6.95 per cableCARD and found out that another Comcast franchise was only charging $2.00.

Scott
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 06:37 AM   #6002
tmanuel

I spent some time online with a chat rep and they supposedly did all of the things that I have read on the forums that were needed to correct my no channels problem with a Motorola M-Card/TiVo HD. However, either the rep didn't actually do anything OR I have another problem. I am still getting the Auth: MP problem, but I will say this rep was very helpful and did what he could (I guess) to help. I have a truck rolling this afternoon so we will see if this horror story continues. Hopefully I will have my cable back before the end of 2009! If this doesn't get resolved soon, I will lose my girlfriend waaaay before that!
tmanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 07:56 AM   #6003
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerronScott View Post
I'd at least issue a complaint to the local franchise authority if I was being charged $6.95 per cableCARD and found out that another Comcast franchise was only charging $2.00.

Scott
I did that last year when my TOTAL Bill went up 40%.

The Response from the PUC was - Comcast tells us
what they will charge and we accept it.
. End of Story.

There is no Competition for them to switch to.
drhankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 09:12 AM   #6004
Unseen Llama

Let's hear it for another botched CC install here in Fishers, IN. This is basically what I sent to Rick in the Comcast eCare link:

Yesterday afternoon I had a tech come to the house to install the appropriate cable cards into my new Tivo HD. Even before the tech arrived, I insisted that he/she bring a multi-stream card (m-card) because of the headaches I've been reading about with the single-stream cards. This was even noted on the work order prior to coming to the house.

The tech arrive and told me that he did not have an multi-stream cards so I allowed him to try the single stream ones. Without regards to the instructions I had printed from Tivo's site, the tech went straight into installing the cards and it was a nightmare to get either of the cards to work or even pair properly.

Finally after checking a trap on the outside line, he was able to get one of the cards to work, but not the second. This is where I said "wish you would have brought a multi-stream card" to which he said he had one in the truck. Now I do not like being lied to. The entire time the tech was there, he had the multi-card that I requested BUT REFUSED TO INSTALL IT.

After about 2 hours, the tech had both cards working correctly, or so it seemed. As soon as the tech left, the second card began to not work again essentially leaving me with one tuner in the Tivo.

By this time it was 9pm so I decided to call Comcast's customer service after hours. I indicated up front that I had a Tivo HD with two single stream cable cards. I indicated that I was not receiving all the channels that I am paying for (the Digital Starter package) and that one of my cable cards was probably the cause of this. I knew that it was an issue with the cable cards but the customer rep kept trying to say that I needed to pay and additional $7 a month for the "extended" HD service. This is not noted anywhere on Comcast's site. I currently pay for the Digital Starter package which includes the basic cable and extended cable including HD.

Suffice to say, after arguing with the customer rep for 20 mins and not having my problem even remotely solved or even listened to, I asked the rep to have her supervisor call me.

I am currently paying for service that I am not receiving. From my perspective, Comcast is not able troubleshoot from a technical standpoint and is refusing to bring the appropriate hardware that I requested.

I do not mind going to the local office to pick up the appropriate cable card(s).

I do not mind calling into Customer Service to activate and pair these cable cards (if I even knew what that number was).

But what I do mind is when I am lied to from a service tech and customer service phone representatives about what is available and what my actual charges should be.

I understand that Comcast is a big company and that communication isn't always easy to push to every level.
Unseen Llama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:14 AM   #6005
tmanuel

I'll be sure to share my experience with the install that I have this afternoon. I hope I ring in 2009 on a positive note, but based on horror stories like this I am not feeling too good about things.
Old 12-31-2008, 03:00 PM   #6006
tmanuel

So, first I want to tell everyone here that has had Comcast issues to go to getsatisfaction.com and post their problems or complaint. I had a National Comcast rep help me and they in turn had a local Comcast rep contact me to help and make sure my problem was properly resolved.

At 3pm today a Comcast tech arrived and within 30 mins he had replaced my CableCARD, PROPERLY had the card initialized and I had all my channels! I was hesitant to believe that the CARD itself was the problem, but this proved me that it either was a faulty card or having it replaced and completely reinitialized was the only way to solve this issue. Use getsatisfaction and hope you get a tech as good as Tolliver when he/she comes to your house!

Happy New Year!
Old 12-31-2008, 03:04 PM   #6007
hannja

Comcast San Jose Cable Card Install Nightmare

So I got the Tivo HD on sunday as well as the card. I try to activate it over the phone but no luck. I get a grey screen where my channels are. I check under the conditional access and the card is activated but not authorized for any of the channels. Comcast techs come out Monday and Tuesday trying to get the card activated and paired. After 10-15 different cards, they still can't get my card activated and authenticated. I call up Tivo and they are telling me based on the information that I gave them that Comcast has not properly authenticated my card. Thinking maybe it might be the Tivo HD, I exchange my current Tivo HD with another one. No luck. I have been on the phone for many hours with comcast trying to get somebody who knows what they are doing.

Anybody know of a supervisor in the San Jose area who knows what they are actually doing and can get my tivo hd and cable card to actually work.
hannja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 04:11 PM   #6008
Unseen Llama

Update to my above issues. Thought I'd share my experience so that it might help others. I have two single stream Motorola cards installed:

After sending the letter to the eCare email address I received a call from corporate. My next scheduled date for a technician to come out was Monday 1/5. She was able to move that to Friday. I still wasn't satisfied with that so I decided to call customer service one more time. Luckly I did.

This customer service rep was different...she actually LISTENED to what I was asking. Basically I told her that I needed to have the cable card 1 sent a new authorization hit. I went through my diagnostics for both cable cards and it indicated that the 1st card was connected, but was not EnabledByCP (cable provider) and also the Auth said "unknown".

She had me remove and then reinsert the cable card while she sent some kind of auth hit to only card 1. This cured the Auth "unknown" issue. She then indicated that to get the EnabledByCP to switch to "yes", she would try to send an email to the back end technician. She asked for my phone number and because her shift was up in 20 mins, but would try to call me back. My heart sank...I finally get someone that actually helps me and then she is going to leave.

I reluctantly hang up the phone, but much to my surprise she calls back within 5 mins stating that a tech is looking into the cards. Sure enough, I check the diagnostic on the card 1.

Connected: yes
EnabledByCP: yes
Auth: Subscribed !!

This lady is my new best friend. I tested out both tuners and recorders and they work beautifully. She even upgraded me to the digital classic for $2 more so now I can enjoy National Geographic and the wife can get her Game Show Network on.

I am happy as can be...but I just knocked on wood for luck sake.

Last edited by Unseen Llama : 01-01-2009 at 12:07 PM.
Unseen Llama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 09:24 AM   #6009
engine12

Just set up an appt. online for a tech to come out and install the mcard on Sunday 01-04-09 between 10:30 and 12:30. Also, had the CS person note on the ticket to bring out several cards with them. We'll see what happens.... Also, there is no charge for the card since it is our 1st card,and the charge for the tech to come out is $27.70
engine12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 01:56 PM   #6010
b_scott
TiVo Fan

I've been having a lot of pixelization problems in Chicago w/my TivoHD and M-card. Has anyone else? I'm wondering if I have a bad card, or if there is a problem w/my Tivo.

It could always be my cable but I have a booster on at the source and everything is 90%+
b_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 03:24 PM   #6011
Meklos

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post
I've been having a lot of pixelization problems in Chicago w/my TivoHD and M-card. Has anyone else? I'm wondering if I have a bad card, or if there is a problem w/my Tivo.

It could always be my cable but I have a booster on at the source and everything is 90%+
Have you tried taking out the amplifier? Too strong of a signal can be just as bad as a weak one. There is a screen somewhere in the Tivo menus that will show you the signal level on your cable. I would remove the amplifier, check your signal level, then reinsert the amplifier and check again.
Meklos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 07:32 PM   #6012
b_scott
TiVo Fan

i'll try taking it out again - it used to be too low, but yes i've used the signal level in the Tivo which is why I know it's at around 90%. I'll let you know if/when I test that out. Thanks.
b_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 01:32 PM   #6013
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

Turned in my cable box today at Comcast's business office and asked for an M-Card. The agent said only the install techs had CCs and I had to schedule a tech visit. She asked if a phone agent had told me that I could pick one up - apparently some phone agents are telling people that anyone can pick one up at the office.

I figured that woulld be the story but decided it was worth a try.

By the way - there was a sign on the door that they were all out of HD Cable boxes but were taking names on a waiting list..
pdhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 01:11 AM   #6014
freeblee

Hannja, were you able to fix your problem. I'm in the same area with a Tivo HD as well. I'm desperate to get this working.

Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannja View Post
So I got the Tivo HD on sunday as well as the card. I try to activate it over the phone but no luck. I get a grey screen where my channels are. I check under the conditional access and the card is activated but not authorized for any of the channels. Comcast techs come out Monday and Tuesday trying to get the card activated and paired. After 10-15 different cards, they still can't get my card activated and authenticated. I call up Tivo and they are telling me based on the information that I gave them that Comcast has not properly authenticated my card. Thinking maybe it might be the Tivo HD, I exchange my current Tivo HD with another one. No luck. I have been on the phone for many hours with comcast trying to get somebody who knows what they are doing.

Anybody know of a supervisor in the San Jose area who knows what they are actually doing and can get my tivo hd and cable card to actually work.

freeblee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 01:34 AM   #6015
freeblee

Actually, it seems I've won the Comcast customer service lottery.
Tonight, a rep was sent a signal that he said would do a full factory initialization on the CableCard. He said what previous reps did probably didn't work because it was only an update command.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeblee View Post
Hannja, were you able to fix your problem. I'm in the same area with a Tivo HD as well. I'm desperate to get this working.

Ben

freeblee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 12:00 PM   #6016
markjreed

I have a new TiVo HD. The Comcast tech just came out and inserted the cablecard, called and paired it, and it switched to the "Please wait - acquiring channel information" screen. After a half hour or so it beeped and showed an error screen "The DVR was unable to prepare channel information." I read that this could be due to signal strength issues, so I tightened all the coax connections, but it didn't help. Any suggestions? Is there any way it's on the other end? What else should I check?
markjreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 01:43 PM   #6017
rkcarter
Rick- Vorlon wannabe

Had you done guided setup before he got there? Just a wild guess, but it could mean it had no idea what channels were what.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:44 PM   #6018
crazi4tv

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjreed View Post
I have a new TiVo HD. The Comcast tech just came out and inserted the cablecard, called and paired it, and it switched to the "Please wait - acquiring channel information" screen. After a half hour or so it beeped and showed an error screen "The DVR was unable to prepare channel information." I read that this could be due to signal strength issues, so I tightened all the coax connections, but it didn't help. Any suggestions? Is there any way it's on the other end? What else should I check?
If the cablecard was unable to download a channel map, "Please Wait...Acquiring Channels" will display. This may be caused by a few different issues: the card was not activated properly, not paired correctly, or is not receiving a signal. The first thing you will want to check is the Diagnostics screen. you will want to look for Channel List Received:. If NO is displayed then the channel map did not download. Here is a link from the TiVo website for troubleshooting Cablecard & activation issues

http://www.tivo.com/setupandsupport/...el_Issues.html
Old 01-03-2009, 07:56 PM   #6019
laboramus

Just got my TivoHD, and picked up CableCard from Comcast, and of course it did not work. Gives 161-1 error. Neiher comcast people nor Tivo support had any idea about what 161-1 is, even though Tivo support page says "This hotline is answered by agents who are specially trained in troubleshooting CableCARD issues. If the information in this article does not solve your issue, please give them a call." Looks like the training did not include actually getting to know one of the most frequent - apparently - error codes. I redid the guided setup, I called Comcast, I called Tivo 3 times, nothing helped and nobody really sounded as they even knew what I was talking about at all.
Finally I got the advice of getting a new card - which I will, but what if it would do the same? It looks really frustrating to have to go to Comcast each day for a new card and try them all out for a chance to get a working one. Comcast BTW told me they are giving me M-Card, but gave me S-Card. It didn't work anyway but I wonder if there's any way to know next time - looks like local reps don't know too much about it too.
I was really excited to get TivoHD, but now I'm thinking maybe I have to go back to my Series2 and wait until Tivo and cable companies figure it out - it looks like you have to be really lucky to just get this thing to work.
laboramus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 08:29 PM   #6020
crazi4tv

Quote:
Originally Posted by laboramus View Post
Just got my TivoHD, and picked up CableCard from Comcast, and of course it did not work. Gives 161-1 error. Neiher comcast people nor Tivo support had any idea about what 161-1 is, even though Tivo support page says "This hotline is answered by agents who are specially trained in troubleshooting CableCARD issues. If the information in this article does not solve your issue, please give them a call." Looks like the training did not include actually getting to know one of the most frequent - apparently - error codes. I redid the guided setup, I called Comcast, I called Tivo 3 times, nothing helped and nobody really sounded as they even knew what I was talking about at all.
Finally I got the advice of getting a new card - which I will, but what if it would do the same? It looks really frustrating to have to go to Comcast each day for a new card and try them all out for a chance to get a working one. Comcast BTW told me they are giving me M-Card, but gave me S-Card. It didn't work anyway but I wonder if there's any way to know next time - looks like local reps don't know too much about it too.
I was really excited to get TivoHD, but now I'm thinking maybe I have to go back to my Series2 and wait until Tivo and cable companies figure it out - it looks like you have to be really lucky to just get this thing to work.
Error code 161-1 usually means there is something wrong with the cablecard. It could be because the card is defective or the TiVo unit doesn't recognize the card. Contrary to popular belief, most cablecards are not defective, the issue with getting them to work is using proper installation procedures, correct pairing & sending the right signal to the card in order to validate the subscribed channels for viewing.
If you receive Motorola cards, the way to tell the difference is: Multi-Stream cards display M-CARD on a red background, Single-Stream cards have "Motorola" on a white & green background.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:32 PM   #6021
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

http://www.tivo.com/setupandsupport/...1-x_error.html

Quote:
If you see an error that begin with "161-", it is being generated by the CableCARD. These errors indicate failures at different steps in the low-level communications protocols between the CableCARD and the DVR.

Old 01-04-2009, 02:12 PM   #6022
keving89

Hi Everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster here. Thought I would contribute my good experience with the cable card install from Comcast here in Denver, CO.

Got my TivoHD last week after 3 great years with an S2. Installed it with just basic cable, ran set-up, and forced a network connection a few times to make sure it downloaded all the latest software updates.

After a couple days of making sure the TivoHD was working correctly, I called Comcast to order the CableCard. The Rep was nice, but was a little confused on cable cards and their pricing. I had to explain to the rep that there were two types of cards - M & S. She indicated that they only used M cards. I asked her to note on the work order that we needed an M-Card and that the rep needed to bring multiple cards just in case one of them wasn't working.

Rep arrived today, said he'd only installed cable cards once before, and that it "had been a couple years." Uh-oh. We worked through the process together, although he kept telling me that he did know it would take 45 minutes for any channels to actually show up. Thanks to this forum, I knew that wasn't true -- channels should be available in a couple minutes. He called in the Host & Data info and asked for an initialization. It took about 3 minutes and a couple attempts for the "Test Channels" to work correctly -- basic channels fine, encrypted channels fine, and HD channels fine!

Just finished running guided set-up to complete the process and verified that all channels are working correctly! All told, the rep was here for 25 minutes start to finish, was extremely nice, and the install went quite smoothly.

Feeling like I dodged a major bullet here....

keving89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 02:34 PM   #6023
engine12

Thumbs up

Well, The Comcast Tech was here today about 40 minutes late,but we got a $20 credit for not being on time. The tech had only installed 1 other CC on a TiVo before and admitted he didn't really have any idea what he was doing. BUT, everything worked out fine!!! The first card we tried didn't seem to be working correctly,only recieved about 9 channels.So I suggested trying another card and that one worked just fine. We are recieving all of our channels including HBO.
This tech was great,he was willing to do whatever he needed to do and take as long as it needed. Wasn't rushed at all. Great Installer!!! If anyone in the Hanover/York Pa area would like to know the installer's ID so you can request him, send me a pm.
engine12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 05:53 PM   #6024
seanmcsean
Comcast H8r

Got my TiVo connected today, awaiting the comcast tech on Thursday.

I guess they don't like activating TiVo's on the weekend? I don't have a cable card yet, just a coax splitter running to the box and the TiVo. My account still says "processing activation" and I can't watch live TV through the TiVo.. Only a gray screen. We'll see what happens tomorrow when TiVo gets a chance to activate my box, I suppose.
seanmcsean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 05:58 PM   #6025
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

You should be able to view programming on the TiVo before the account is activated. Does your cable company have unscrambled basic cable?
Old 01-04-2009, 06:00 PM   #6026
seanmcsean
Comcast H8r

I would imagine so. Only one TV in the house is hooked up to a set top box, all the rest are just straight up coax to the back of the TV.

All the other TV's get basic channels just fine.

I was able to view the channels during the guided setup, when it was asking me to verify what stations were what.. After that, just a grey screen.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:23 PM   #6027
seanmcsean
Comcast H8r

Turns out IT guys can figure something out once in a while

I figured I'd apply the ol' "when in doubt, reboot" philosophy. Rebooted the unit, it applied a service update, and ta-da! I have live TV again.

Now I'm 100% ready for Comcast on Thursday.. BRING IT COMCAST!
Old 01-04-2009, 09:20 PM   #6028
pjd6896

Comcast....

I have Comcast in Houston and received a letter a couple weeks ago that said I had until 1/20/09 to update my cable cards. I brought my cards in on Fri 1/2 and the clerk said that I only need one card and that the card he was giving me was active. Took it home and found out that for S3 Tivo, I need 2 cards and that the card he gave me was not active. I put it in the Tivo and the firmware updated. I called Comcast and the rep sait it will not work for "24 - 48 hours because it has to download'". I asked download what and he said the program guide, blah, blah, blah. I told him Tivo already downloaded the program guide and updates fine without they're crappy cards. Anyhow, I called yesterday again and they said that they can't hit the card but would put in a request to activate it but the people that activate the cards may not work on weekends. Any advice on how I can find some one who actually knows what they are doing other than to keep calling and waiting? I wish there were more competition with Comcast so they had some incentive to provide basic customer service...
pjd6896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:51 AM   #6029
Wiley1

Quote:
Originally Posted by a68oliver View Post
You should not lose any channels that are in the PACKAGE YOU SUBSCRIBE TO. If you are receiving channels (by accident or mistake) that are not part of your subscription package, they will likely be blocked by the cablecards.
And, that there, is the rub, isn't it.

Technically, Comcast Basic covers only channels 2-32, not any of the clear-QAM channels.
So, you're telling me that the cable card may not map these channels and I might effectively lose programming that I receive now by installing a cable card.

The question is whether Comcast can be convinced to add the clear-QAM channels to the those covered by the cablecard.

Does anybody have any experience with this situation?
Wiley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:52 AM   #6030
MisterWho

Fairly Painless in ATL

I had my cablecard installed Sat. morning with very little trouble.

The installer (scheduled for a 11-2 window) called at 9 and asked if he could come early. After rolling out of bed, I waited a few minutes for him to show thankful that I would not be wasting most of my Saturday waiting. Tech was polite and had the one MCard as requested. He called the Host and Data info in and the channel map downloaded but not all channels were active.

Knowing from these forums that all channels should show near instantly (despite the lines given by some techs that it can take minutes to hours), and acting against my better judgement, I let the tech go as he insisted thats all there was to it. I only did this because I did know from calling the night before to verify my appt. that their "systems" had been down and assumed this could have caused the delay.

Anyway, the CC info menus gave a Auth: MP so I called tech support and coyly told them that the installer had suggested requesting an initialization hit if the channels did not display within a couple of hours. She did and as she was telling me it could take a few minutes because of their system troubles, all the blank channels came in including HBO and HD channels.

I thanked her and hung up, grateful that I did not have more of an ordeal than those who have posted here.

P.S. and FYI - The billing people seem to know nothing about what you need and what you will be charged as they suggested that I needed two CCs ($1.99 a month for the second) for my Tivo HD and would have to pay the extra $7 monthly for the HD service. I had to digress on the CC but declined the extra HD monthly charge. I now have but one perfectly fine working CC and all HD channels I am subscribed to. Will make sure next bill reflects just that.
MisterWho is offline   Reply With Quote