As far as I can tell, I have not had any problems downloading
in the last month.. I just checked the system info and it last
downloaded this am (12/22).

Last edited by aud : 12-23-2008 at 02:35 AM. Reason: added connection info
aud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 04:56 AM   #62
moxbox

Sony S1 problems here too

Initially the calls would not connect -- they failed with a "service unavailable" error.

I managed to get a partial fix -- bypassed my usual setup (full description here), plugged the phone line directly into the Tivo, and changed the dialing prefix to ,#036.

That gets a connection, and starts to download, but fails with a call interrupted error. I've repeated the daily call request about 5 times now, but it always ends with that error, after about 10 minutes.

So I'd like to try Monty's fix. Monty, when you say the second step is to "install a DSL filter" -- what does that mean?

thanks!

UPDATE: This did not work in the end. All calls end with "call interrupted". Have tried all the different numbers in Seattle, and several in NY.

Last edited by moxbox : 12-24-2008 at 01:15 PM. Reason: UPDATE
moxbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 08:48 AM   #63
Monty

Here is a good write up on DSL filters....

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-dsl-filter.htm

IF you have a DSL provider, this should have been installed. No help for a standard analog phone line.

Monty
Old 12-23-2008, 10:12 AM   #64
seansand1

Just wanted to jump in saying that I am another S1 user that is having the same problem. My last successful call was about a week ago, now I am getting the "Call failed - Service unavailable" message on every call attempt.

Possibly coincidentally, yesterday the TiVo prompted me to change my dial-in number (I have a modem connection), saying that the old one was going out of service. So I dialed in to get the new numbers, and this worked. So I changed the dial-in number, and I assumed this would solve the problem. But it didn't; still the exactly same error when I try to get more Guide data. (And obviously it is not the modem, since the call to get the new numbers worked.)

Also interestingly, we have two S1s at our house, and the *other* S1 has been working perfectly fine, no problem. (The two boxes are now dialing the same phone number; before I had them calling different numbers.)
seansand1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 01:32 PM   #65
moxbox

two S1's, one working one not ?!

That is a *really* interesting situation. Are the two S1's different in any way?
Old 12-23-2008, 03:43 PM   #66
seansand1

Re: two S1's, one working one not ?!

No, they aren't exactly the same model, though they are both S1s. (Yeah, otherwise that would be really inexplicable.)

The problem one (mine) is about a year older, and is a 30-hour TiVo. It has silver trim around the "eye" in the front.
The newer one (my wife's) was originally a 20-hour TiVo (upgraded via Weaknees to be 120-hour). It has black trim.

No idea what the difference is. If, as some people have been reporting, the phone call works 1 out of 8 times, I suppose it's possible that I've been really unlucky and my wife has been really lucky, but that's not very likely.

Update: Well, it turns out my wife's TiVo's call failed today (as did mine), so it turns out that it is happening for her too. So maybe this is happening to all S1s after all.

Last edited by seansand1 : 12-23-2008 at 07:22 PM. Reason: More information
Old 12-23-2008, 06:27 PM   #67
WBragg

I gave up. Apparently there's zero chance of Tivo looking into this during the holiday season. I'm thinking everyone is out on vacation.

I went out and bought a Tivo HD and I'm transferring my grandfathered Lifetime over to this new HD box. I'm on the phone with them now. My only problem now is that I can't read the TSN on the back of my HD unit and when I go to the System Info screen on my newly updated v.11.0 HD unit ... it freezes and reboots. Nice. I knew this wouldn't in any way be easy or pleasant.
WBragg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 10:22 PM   #68
Buster

Can anyone who was able to dial in by changing telephone numbers post those numbers? I've got free long distance too, so wherever is fine with me. Thanks.
Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 10:57 AM   #69
QBiN

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBragg View Post
I went out and bought a Tivo HD and I'm transferring my grandfathered Lifetime over to this new HD box.
Will they transfer your lifetime service over to a new TiVo HD if your old TiVo is failing? I can't imagine they do that without putting up a bit of a fight.
1x Premiere Elite
1x Mini
QBiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 11:24 AM   #70
WBragg

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBiN View Post
Will they transfer your lifetime service over to a new TiVo HD if your old TiVo is failing? I can't imagine they do that without putting up a bit of a fight.
They consider it still alive as long as it has downloaded within the last 6 months apparently. So you've got about 5 months left before they declare your box dead if they never fix the Series1 download issue.
Old 12-24-2008, 01:46 PM   #71
moxbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBragg View Post
They consider it still alive as long as it has downloaded within the last 6 months apparently. So you've got about 5 months left before they declare your box dead if they never fix the Series1 download issue.
Is this only under special conditions? The Tivo website says the following about transferring your lifetime subscription:

You can transfer any TiVo Service Payment Plan except Product Lifetime Service to another TiVo DVR at any time.

Want to transfer your Product Lifetime Service?

You can use Manage My Account to transfer Product Lifetime Service to another DVR only if:

* You activated the DVR with Product Lifetime Service less than 30 days ago.
* The DVR was exchanged under warranty, either through the retailer or the manufacturer.
* The DVR was activated under an incorrect service number.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:50 PM   #72
WBragg

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxbox View Post
Is this only under special conditions?
Yes, the special condition is that I bought Lifetime back on 11/24/1999 prior to their clarification of the Lifetime rules. If your Lifetime is that old, it's considered "grandfathered" and is allowed to be transferred once to any other Tivo box. That's why I noted that it was "grandfathered" in my original post.

All it really means is that I'm a crusty old Tivo user from way back who paid the original $179 for my Lifetime and I'm still using it. Now there is one less of the old Lifetimes on the Tivo system. I'm sure they will do a happy dance when the last of us goes away.

I was so pumped about Tivo back then, I gave 7 of them (Series 1 Phillips) to various family members over the 2000 Christmas season. Everyone I gave them to eventually moved to either an S2 or S3 and are all still pretty happy with the Tivo experience.

Which is good, because if they had kept their S1's they would probably all be calling me as of last week because their guide data ran out due to this "issue".
Old 12-24-2008, 11:50 PM   #73
IITravel

Seem to be having a similar problem with my Philips series 1.
IITravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 09:31 PM   #74
BobCamp1

I too am also having a problem with my Series 1. It's taking 4 or 5 times to get a successful download. I get "service unavailable" errors where I never used to get them before. I'm on a POTS connection using the internal modem. Test calls work just fine. I'm currently on my third failed attempt in a row. I hope I get a successful attempt soon.

As a l---o---n---g time subscriber and a test engineer, I can detect when something isn't right. This isn't right.
TivoJerry, if you don't have my TSN number from the DST update, I can send it to you again if you wish.

My theory is that it is happening to all S1s, but some of us just aren't realizing it. If you have a 24/7 connection on a POTS line, you will eventually succeed and not run out of guide data. Those that manually connect or use VoIP are going to have problems.

Update: It finally completed a successful call on the 26th, after approximately 4 attempts. I'll see if I can keep an eye on it.
I use OTA for locals and DirecTV for the other channels.

Last edited by BobCamp1 : 12-27-2008 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Update
BobCamp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 10:59 PM   #75
seansand1

Yep, I agree with BobCamp1; this issue is happening on all S1s. The call fails like 7 out of 8 times. But the one time it does succeed, then you're set for a couple of weeks. The problem was happening on both my S1 and my wife's S1, but I didn't notice it on my wife's at first because she had gotten lucky and her latest daily call had been a success when I checked.

If you are using a phone line and are close to running out of data, you can go into Setup and repeatedly choose "Make Daily Call" until you finally succeed. (It's been suggested that partial failures can eventually add up to a success because the data downloaded before the interruption occurs gets accumulated and the next call doesn't have to start completely over.)

Needless to say though, continuously attempting to force a daily call is tedious and not an acceptable fix. Clearly TiVo made a change to their service a few weeks ago to cause this; I don't see why they don't back out of it (unless, as seems likely, they just don't care about S1 users any more).
Old 12-25-2008, 11:47 PM   #76
twey

Arrow

I tried on my Sony S1 with guided setup and experience the following:

- Set to antenna-only works fine with the 1st and 2nd call. The call went through quickly and setup complete as it should.
- Set to anything with DirectTV going very slow. It stuck in the 1st call "Import" for a very long time. Often stop at 50-60%. Did it few times and finally got through.
- Set to anything with CABLE, the TIVO crushed and reboot on every try. The 1st call did finished and the local call numbers displayed. When starting the 2nd call, it never dwnet to the call screen. The S1 went into a reboot and back to start over before 1st call. Looks like there is a problem with the call script instead of call itself. Not a hardware problem, I believe.

I was trying to add a DTV converter box to the S1. I went for a guided setup and hope the cable setting will better for DTV channel setup. Fortunate I did this on my spare Sony box instead of my lifetime S1.

Is 1st call also download a script for establish the 2nd call? Only if I select CABLE will fail so far.

It is more than 7 yrs for both of my S1. Very nice job, TIVO. Hardly see other hardware been supported for this long these day. Just don't want to see such good design and still functional work go into e-waste.

----------------------
One Sony original
One Philips "expanded" with lifetime
twey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 12:59 PM   #77
alansh

From what the log dump shows, my guess is that the web service at http://204.176.49.2/tivo-service/mlog.cgi is getting hung up while processing the Series 1 data -- the log indicates that it's waiting 3 minutes for a response, then is giving up. This is something TiVo would have to fix on their side.
alansh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 05:59 PM   #78
mec1991
Cranky old coot

Same problem here with my Sony SVR-2000 series 1. It either fails during connecting (service unavailable) or downloading (call interrupted). Had not noticed it due to the holidays and the fact it's in a little used guest room. I spent considerable time with it one afternoon and got one completed download so it has data for about another 10 days or so. Since then no completions whatsoever despite numerous forced calls.

Product service lifetime and it has worked perfectly for many years.

Hopefully after the first they will get this fixed as something is obviously wrong on their end.
mec1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 10:27 PM   #79
BobCamp1

Quote:
Originally Posted by twey View Post
I tried on my Sony S1 with guided setup and experience the following:

- Set to antenna-only works fine with the 1st and 2nd call. The call went through quickly and setup complete as it should.
- Set to anything with DirectTV going very slow. It stuck in the 1st call "Import" for a very long time. Often stop at 50-60%. Did it few times and finally got through.
- Set to anything with CABLE, the TIVO crushed and reboot on every try. The 1st call did finished and the local call numbers displayed. When starting the 2nd call, it never dwnet to the call screen. The S1 went into a reboot and back to start over before 1st call. Looks like there is a problem with the call script instead of call itself. Not a hardware problem, I believe.

I was trying to add a DTV converter box to the S1. I went for a guided setup and hope the cable setting will better for DTV channel setup. Fortunate I did this on my spare Sony box instead of my lifetime S1.

Is 1st call also download a script for establish the 2nd call? Only if I select CABLE will fail so far.

It is more than 7 yrs for both of my S1. Very nice job, TIVO. Hardly see other hardware been supported for this long these day. Just don't want to see such good design and still functional work go into e-waste.

----------------------
One Sony original
One Philips "expanded" with lifetime
Interesting. I use OTA for locals and DirecTV for the other channels. Recently, a lot of HD channels have been added to "Channels I receive" as well as the locals from the surrounding DMAs. I wonder if that has anything to do with it.
Old 12-28-2008, 02:09 AM   #80
twey

Wink

Any of you have DSL on the same phone line? (I am using the dial-in still).

I found something interesting. I tried series 1 with the 3.0 update over the holiday. I keep having failures on the calls, first and second. I finally got through the calls and finished guided setup.

Well, if you have the DSL on the same phone line and have wife or kids play video on the net, sent them go shopping or to the bed. Looks like the new dial-in setup is more sensitive to the line noise. Most of calls were made in late night so likely won't be a problem. Check your call log see if the hour and activity make sense for you.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:43 AM   #81
rebstalk

Hi!

My baby SVR-2000 has been chugging along for 7 years now. Had to go to an external modem two years ago. Been having the same problem as everyone else for the last few weeks. This morning same routine try a manal download and after about 5 times or so it goes to loading data! Finally! A previous poster had a comment that checks with what I saw, tivo keeps the update during a partial download process. I also disabled call waiting and manually disconnected the phone line and waited two minutes. Won't worry about it again until next week. Good luck with your old series 1, keep on trying it might work!
rebstalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 02:55 PM   #82
BobCamp1

Quote:
Originally Posted by twey View Post
Any of you have DSL on the same phone line? (I am using the dial-in still).

I found something interesting. I tried series 1 with the 3.0 update over the holiday. I keep having failures on the calls, first and second. I finally got through the calls and finished guided setup.

Well, if you have the DSL on the same phone line and have wife or kids play video on the net, sent them go shopping or to the bed. Looks like the new dial-in setup is more sensitive to the line noise. Most of calls were made in late night so likely won't be a problem. Check your call log see if the hour and activity make sense for you.
That's not how DSL works. At all. Unless you unplugged the DSL modem and the DSL filters and then plugged the Tivo directly into the phone jack. I tried this just for the heck of it and it didn't make a difference. Then I unplugged my Tivo, shook the end of the cord to get rid of all the bad electrons, then plugged it back in and forced a manual call. It worked! So it must have been the bad electrons.

I think it's just luck of the draw at this point. Every test call I make works. Only a few of the daily calls are working.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:45 PM   #83
ciper

Is there any type of update on this from TIVO? My SVR-2000 is a doorstop ATM and I'm not happy about it.
ciper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 02:45 AM   #84
twey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCamp1 View Post
That's not how DSL works. At all. Unless you unplugged the DSL modem and the DSL filters and then plugged the Tivo directly into the phone jack. I tried this just for the heck of it and it didn't make a difference. Then I unplugged my Tivo, shook the end of the cord to get rid of all the bad electrons, then plugged it back in and forced a manual call. It worked! So it must have been the bad electrons.

I think it's just luck of the draw at this point. Every test call I make works. Only a few of the daily calls are working.
I have ADSL line. The filter is at jointion box. I can heard the high pitch noise before the filter but not after. The noise is not just carrier. It vary with the activity somewhat. I will guess there is a bad amp in the line somewhere which cause the beatting. Far from the CO has some disadvantage. I can repeate this when I have some spare time.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:54 AM   #85
tubular031

My fix was I found a tivo2 with lifetime service on craigslist this weekend and I bought it. I cant believe tivo would screw over its customers like this. I am going to be switching to a dish dvr pretty soon. you suck tivo!!!! its crap like this that will put your out of business!
tubular031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 01:01 PM   #86
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Setting the 'phone line in use' and 'dial tone detection' to 'off' has worked for me. Sometimes it takes two call attempts, but my S1s seem to be getting through okay now.

Jan
Old 12-29-2008, 03:35 PM   #87
coznkaos

Just curious

Hello all,

I'm just curious as to if anyone here who is having trouble downloading a call with a Series 1 Tivo with a turbonet adapter installed has tried telneting into the box and then issuing either a wget command or a http_get command and then trying to complete a call. I only ask because my Series 1 PTV300 with a turbonet adapter won't complete a call (Service Unavailable) after a cold boot unless I telnet into the box and do wget or http_get. I can still ping outside servers but no calls complete. I've tried changing all the setting in dialing options and putting in ,#401 again but these do not work either. Yet, if I do the wget or http_get, then a test call completes fine (sets clock, gets data, etc) and then I can also do the the daily call. This works fine until power to the Tivo is lost. Anyone know why the Tivo won't connect until I do a wget or http_get or what these commands might change that let me connect and do the daily call?

BTW, these are the commands I issue once I telnet in if anyone wants to try them. I just do the wget command since it's shorter, but if you don't have wget on the Tivo, then the second one is from the Steve Jenkins guide to d/l TivoWeb and http_get should already be installed.

wget www.yahoo.com

or

http_get -T 0 -C 0 -D /var/hack -U http://216.168.47.137:80/tivoweb.tar.gz
coznkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 04:10 PM   #88
ggibeau

Same situation here

Series 1 - Philips - AirNET card - grandfathered lifetime service.

Will not successfully complete call on a unit that has performed flawlessly for the last 8 years. Will run out of guide data in 2 days. Guess I will just keep trying manual connections.

*sigh*

George

UPDATE:

After reading some info on another site - I edited my SmoothWall Express Firewall PC and turned off the Web Proxy service (which was set to transparent and has been working just fine for many, many months). Went and retried the test call and daily download and everything works as before. Not sure if it is a coincidence, it actually fixed a problem or I just got lucky ;-) YMMV...

UPDATE #2
After changing the web proxy service, the Internet based call connected fine - however after returning to the Tivo - I see that it lost connection part way through the download - so I just keep forcing it hoping that the partials are coming down as others indicated. sigh - - over 8 years of no issues - and now I have the same problems as everyone else posting on here - - so hey, it must be with my unit and NOT as a result of something that Tivo changed on their end ;-)

Last edited by ggibeau : 12-30-2008 at 03:13 AM. Reason: Update #2
ggibeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 04:15 PM   #89
dbranco

I sure hope that someone from TiVo will see & reply to this thread! I suspect the holidays have something to do with the fact that they haven't replied at all yet.
dbranco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 05:42 PM   #90
QBiN

I'm completing about 1 in 10 dial-up daily calls now. So I have guide data again (for now), but the lack of reliability is an obvious concern.

I wish someone from TiVo would so much as even acknowledge this thread and the plight of all us long-standing and loyal Series1 customers.
1x Premiere Elite
1x Mini
QBiN is offline   Reply With Quote