Old 12-18-2008, 01:23 PM   #5911
MisterWho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logik2000 View Post
You said stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
You said stuff.
I have always had great responses when writing a detailed message outlining my problems to the link at http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Cus...tomercare.html . Use the link to email Rick Germano. I always get a personal callback no more than 24 hrs later from someone at my local offices begging to show up at my convenience to fix my problems. They did fix my problem (one that had been ongoing for months).
MisterWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 02:31 PM   #5912
Logik2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterWho View Post
You said stuff, too. Heh.
Was it a Tivo/cablecard issue they fixed? I've worked with Customer Relations with 2 other companies (one of them a huuuge problem with a huuuge company and gotten results). I was going to go the CR route after 1 last try with my local office. At the very least, I want to let them know that I bought $2000 worth of HD equipment, $1500 of which can't be returned for refund, based on their assuring me that I could have HD on Limited Basic, with their knowledge that it would be on a Tivo HD with cablecards.

And, thanks, dswallow.

And, where'd my post count go? I used to be quite active in these forums awhile back. I look like just a complaining greenhorn now. Heh.
Logik2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 02:59 PM   #5913
crazi4tv

There seems to be confusion about if HD channels can be received on Limited Basic service. Only local broadcast HD channels (such as ABC, NBC, CBS, CW) are available on the limited basic package, and yes they come in just fine with a cablecard. If you want additional HD channels such as TNT, Sci-Fi, ESPN, Discovery etc, then you will need to upgrade to a higher level of service which does require that a trap on your line be removed.
Old 12-18-2008, 03:00 PM   #5914
MisterWho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logik2000 View Post
Was it a Tivo/cablecard issue they fixed? I've worked with Customer Relations with 2 other companies (one of them a huuuge problem with a huuuge company and gotten results). I was going to go the CR route after 1 last try with my local office. At the very least, I want to let them know that I bought $2000 worth of HD equipment, $1500 of which can't be returned for refund, based on their assuring me that I could have HD on Limited Basic, with their knowledge that it would be on a Tivo HD with cablecards.

And, thanks, dswallow.

And, where'd my post count go? I used to be quite active in these forums awhile back. I look like just a complaining greenhorn now. Heh.
It wasnt a cablecard issue, no. It was, however, an issue where techs had been out, only to not fix the problem and make me reschedule for another day.

After a couple reschedules, I used the link I mentioned and got results in hours.

I was impressed, the tech that came out this time seemed like a super-tech by comparison (he didnt talk on his phone with his girlfriend the whole time, was polite, and did not leave until we were both satisfied the issues were corrected).

I cannot stress enough the difference between the levels of service calling the standard number (and not getting anywhere) versus using the link I provided and getting instant results as well as personal, followup calls.

Again, I highly recommend trying it.
MisterWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 03:39 PM   #5915
Logik2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazi4tv View Post
There seems to be confusion about if HD channels can be received on Limited Basic service. Only local broadcast HD channels (such as ABC, NBC, CBS, CW) are available on the limited basic package, and yes they come in just fine with a cablecard. If you want additional HD channels such as TNT, Sci-Fi, ESPN, Discovery etc, then you will need to upgrade to a higher level of service which does require that a trap on your line be removed.
Oh. Woops. Sorry. That's exactly what I'm referring to - locals only. I've had Limited Basic for years and kept my ear to the ground as to whether the HD versions of the local channels were available for it. I got a raise, checked Comcast's site, and they were (are) finally available - ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, CW, Fox. $16 Limited Basic + $10 HD = $26. $60 Standard Basic + $10 HD = $70. I've never been able to justify spending that much for TV, and locals give me plenty to watch.

Sorry for the confusion.

[Edit: Forgot to include in the original story that my cable run *is* RG-6 throughout the house, with the last 6 feet to this TV extended with RG-59, which worked perfectly fine when we tested the HD with a cable box. And to include that the tech supervisor on the phone said that the cable boxes definitely work fine with the Tivo HD. I think he was referring to the Series 3 HD. Different models if I'm correct. And to include that the last on-site tech, when I told him about the trap limitation, said that they don't use traps and didn't see one when he checked the pole before coming in.]

Last edited by Logik2000 : 12-18-2008 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Add some details
Old 12-18-2008, 04:01 PM   #5916
crazi4tv

Logik2000, sounds like the techs are gaving trouble with the cablecard installation. Look for my posted dated 12/7/08, it contains a complete installation guide and a few troubleshooting tips. Are you still missing channels? I believe the main issue why there are so many problems with installing cablecards on TiVo is because cable providers train their employees on how to install, support and troubleshoot cable company issued equipment. TiVo is considered a third-party consumer electronic device which is purchased by the consumer either on-line or at an electronics store. Putting a cablecard in a slot is easy enough, the problem is that cable companies do not receive training from TiVo on how to install cablecards in their Series 3 or HD DVR.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:09 PM   #5917
pldoolittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Yep, you missed the tech showing up at your door with an a) HD DVR and no cards, because 'the warehouse is out of stock or they're all broken', or b) 2 S-cards, neither of which were initialized correctly. And that's assuming they don't cancel multiple visits first.

If you get a tech with one or more M-cards, at least one of which works without multiple phone calls, I'll be amazed. Comcast in the ATL is teh suck for these. Let us know how it goes.
I'm not normally a violent person, but in this case I would probably make an exception...

Edit: They called today (Friday) to say that they were out of M cards and could not make todays appointment. But the appointment was set (and confirmed separately with corporate) for Monday... When informed of this, he said that they "might" get some in this weekend. What a complete bunch of idiots...

Last edited by pldoolittle : 12-19-2008 at 07:52 AM.
pldoolittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:30 PM   #5918
psuJC

Logik, I'm in Dunmore. Same exact problem. Just so you know, I switched 2 month ago to standard cable, and... just like the channel lineup you pick up from the steamtown mall.. the HD's work perfectly.

This new one... no work. I tried crazi's idea, called up comcast, they guy checked all the codes and it's fine.

I also went down to the mall yesterday and had them add the digital lineup to the account ( only added 2 dollars, go figure) and my living room tivo picked up the new channels just fine. The bedroom tivo is still doa.... tuning the wrong analog channels, and doing nothing but showing grey screen on all the digital channels.

The sad thing is they're out of ideas. Noone has a clue why it doesn't work. The tech was talking about you, said he had no luck getting it to work. It was my tivo they tried to upgrade on several occasions for many... MANY hours. I've had 4 techs come out on 6 calls now... and am no closer to solving it than before.
psuJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:36 PM   #5919
crazi4tv

Quote:
Originally Posted by psuJC View Post
Logik, I'm in Dunmore. Same exact problem. Just so you know, I switched 2 month ago to standard cable, and... just like the channel lineup you pick up from the steamtown mall.. the HD's work perfectly.

This new one... no work. I tried crazi's idea, called up comcast, they guy checked all the codes and it's fine.

I also went down to the mall yesterday and had them add the digital lineup to the account ( only added 2 dollars, go figure) and my living room tivo picked up the new channels just fine. The bedroom tivo is still doa.... tuning the wrong analog channels, and doing nothing but showing grey screen on all the digital channels.

The sad thing is they're out of ideas. Noone has a clue why it doesn't work. The tech was talking about you, said he had no luck getting it to work. I've had 4 techs come out on 6 calls now... and am no closer to solving it than before.
Are you using Motorola or Scientific Atlantic cards? Are you only receiving channel 2-99?
Old 12-18-2008, 10:51 PM   #5920
psuJC

They're all Scientific Atlanta.

I can only watch channels 2-99, but like I said they're screwed up. All the digital channels give a grey screen.

At least i know i'm not the only one in the area having the same problem.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:01 PM   #5921
crazi4tv

I'm attaching a link for the TiVo screens for Scientific Atlantic cablecards. Before you go to any of these screens, tune to a channel which you do subscribe to but which only displays a grey screen, then press RECORD on your remote; this locks onto a channel that you are having trouble with.

http://www.tivo.com/assets/kdb/SA_MCards_final.pdf (for Multi-Stream cards)

http://www.tivo.com/assets/kdb/SA_SCards_final.pdf (Single-Stream cards)

Here is a link from TiVo regarding when the Guide data and channels do not match:
http://www.tivo.com/setupandsupport/...up_issues.html

Let me know if any of these links helps you

Last edited by crazi4tv : 12-18-2008 at 11:08 PM.
crazi4tv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 11:32 PM   #5922
psuJC

Well off the bat, I hit record and nothing happens.. but here's what I got going through those screens.

Network Interface (Status: Locked)

CA Screen (Status: Ready)

CA Screen 3(Page 5 of the PDF) says the following:
}Scientific Atlanta Cable Card(tm)
}CA Screen - Active Program
}--------------------------
}No Information Available
}Decrypt Fail Status Time

CA Screen Page-2 says (SubExpiretime: Friday Jan 16, 2009 9:52:00 PM GMT)

CP Info Screen says:
}Auth Status: CP Auth Recived
}LTSID:0x0 PN:0x0 CCI:0x0
}MKS Period:600 seconds
}Verify Key Status: OK

Diagnostics
}Bldr Ver:121
}OS Ver:01.04.01
}Build Time: Nov 11, 2006 11:20:34
Old 12-18-2008, 11:50 PM   #5923
crazi4tv

psuJC~ From what you have posted, the card is receiving a signal from your provider, the card is paired, and the card has been activated. The problem is on the screen that shows "Active Program". this screen indicates if the Cablecard is entitled to display programming on the channel that you have tuned to. This can be caused by a service code issue such as your account is missing the code to activate programming on your card (for each cablecard your have, your cable account must have a service code ie 2 cards, 2 cablecard service codes). It is also possible that the proper signal was not sent to the card to download the correct channel map. Cards need to be "initialized", not just "hit". Cablecards will scramble encrypted programming unless it is properly authorized to decrypt subscribed channels.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:13 AM   #5924
Sefor

Has anyone here having issues where occasionally the system shows video/sound for 2-5 seconds, then sound goes out for 1/2 second, and then the screen goes blank? But when I change to other channel and switch it back, it's fine again. Weird...
Sefor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 10:56 AM   #5925
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by pldoolittle View Post
I'm not normally a violent person, but in this case I would probably make an exception...

Edit: They called today (Friday) to say that they were out of M cards and could not make todays appointment. But the appointment was set (and confirmed separately with corporate) for Monday... When informed of this, he said that they "might" get some in this weekend. What a complete bunch of idiots...
Sounds familiar, they cancelled 3 separate visits for me (I think) before I escalated to corporate. I got the firm impression that the local folks just do not want to fool with the cards, but corporate escalation got them to change their mind. I had the area supervisor and a lead tech out with 2 M-cards the next day (which weren't initialized correctly resulting in multiple phone calls, but they eventually got the right person to send the init hit to the card).

If you get a card and a lot of channels are missing, check the CableCard conditional access screen. If it says anything other than 'Auth: S' (like say 'Auth: MP') then the card was not init'ed correctly. Pairing is separate, but they don't usually have a problem with that. Don't be surprised if it takes a long time to get the channel map downloaded the first time after the cards are paired.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 01:51 PM   #5926
Logik2000

I haven't had a chance to get things rolling yet, but I did have a few things...

First, crazy4tv. How do you know so much about all of this? Just been reading up? Work for one of the companies? Just curiosity. Your level of (helpful) knowledge is pretty impressive.

Second, the conditional access screen. I've never found it. Is "conditional access" the title of the screen in question or is it an item on a particular screen?

Third, I took a look at the same stuff that psuJC perused. I have the same results on the CA-Active Program screen, but it's the same for both channels I do get and those that I don't. I believe I read last night, though, that such a thing is possible for shows that aren't encrypted to begin with (thus being viewable and not needing authorization).
Old 12-19-2008, 11:57 PM   #5927
pldoolittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by pldoolittle View Post

Update: They called at 5:00 to tell me that my original Monday appt had been given away (actually they claim it never existed which is so ridiculous as to be laughable) and that the earliest available was Christmas Eve 11-3. And the goofball tried to make me feel better by telling me that they haven't had any cards for two weeks and Monday would have been canceled anyway... Wow, I fell much better knowing that even if you hadn't screwed up my appointment I wouldn't have been installed anyway.

I guess I'll update this fiasco again on Monday since I had already taken the day off... $20 says that Christmas Eve doesn't happen either. And I'll throw in a $5 kicker that they screw up my analog S2 and/or internet access while there are here.
pldoolittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 11:06 AM   #5928
z1nman

Analog channel problems

I don't know if anyone has had this problem, but any help would be appreciated. I have comcast in palm beach gardens, florida. I have 3 Tivo HDs and all three have a single M cable card. Two work just fine, but on the third one when the cable card is in, I get all of the HD and encrypted digital channels, but my analog channels 2-68 show as not authorized. According to comcast all three cards are authorized the same way.
z1nman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 03:25 PM   #5929
moon_tower

Must be out of inventory in Atlanta

Had an appointment to get a cable card for my 2nd Tivo HD for today 2-5. I get on the chat asking where they are. The chat person says that they are not coming because they don't have any cable cards. Nice, no phone call or anything. Cable companies are the worst. I really hope there is a reckoning someday.

I love the customer service of Directv, but with the new satellite locations, if you even have a couple of trees, the technicians don't want to bother installing the new dish. Also, I really have to have the Tivo software. I know the new DTV Tivo hardware is supposed to be coming someday. Maybe all my trees will die by then.

Update: A tech calls me at 5:15 saying that he is running late and that he will be by to install my card in 45 minutes. After an hour and a half, I call his number from call waiting. He said that he went to the warehouse and there were not any cable cards to install. They have rescheduled me for tomorrow. I guess there is going to be a delivery of cable cards? Seems unlikely. I really hate these guys.

I know these stories are like bad beat stories or airline travel stories...Everyone has one and no one wants to hear them, but I feel better.

Last edited by moon_tower : 12-22-2008 at 06:06 PM.
moon_tower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 11:04 PM   #5930
rcoates777

Comcast (Foxboro, MA) - fewer chnls with CC thn STB

Gang -

Comcast is my provider - serving Foxboro, Canton & Dover, MA. Within the last 2 or 3 days I lost a few HD channels - mostly sports channels such as ESPN, ESPN2 but also The History Channel and a couple of others. My neighbor down the street experienced the same thing with his TiVoHD.

But he still has the Comcast STB hooked up and he is getting the missing channels from it.

We both called Comcast and they were clueless.

Has anyone else experienced this? Suggestions?

Thanks.

Bob
rcoates777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 11:18 AM   #5931
engine12

Merry Christmas.
If I understand all of the posts on here about the cable cards 1 mcard will allow me to record 2 HD shows or 1 and 1 correct?? I just ordered the HDTiVo Yesterday. I also have Comcast here in Hanover,PA so I am expecting problems Also is the Motorola card the better of the 2 brands??? Thanks for all help.
engine12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 01:17 PM   #5932
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by engine12 View Post
Merry Christmas.
If I understand all of the posts on here about the cable cards 1 mcard will allow me to record 2 HD shows or 1 and 1 correct?? I just ordered the HDTiVo Yesterday. I also have Comcast here in Hanover,PA so I am expecting problems Also is the Motorola card the better of the 2 brands??? Thanks for all help.
A TiVo HD with an "M Card can record two programs.

You don't have a choice Card Suppliers. Your Cable Company
does the choosing for you. Comcast usually uses Moto - but
I don't know if that is across their whole network. There could
be exceptions if they acquired some other locations from a
different Cable Company..
drhankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 05:29 PM   #5933
psuJC

Quote:
Originally Posted by engine12 View Post
Merry Christmas.
If they send the techs from Duryea... you're screwed. I finally got mine fixed. I sent a message to that senior vice president from a link earlier, and had a manager call me the next day. two days later they send out a tech, who scrounged up two single stream cards that actually worked.

Here's the story. None of the multi streams will work as they've all been loaded with the wrong channel map. thats why myself and logic have been having problems with the multi streams. All the single streams they have need a firmware upgrade, however that functionality isn't working, so they never successfully download the firmware. The tech they sent managed to get his hand on 2 working single streams... which he confirmed before coming out. As far as he knows, there were no more working single streams there, and they weren't ordering any new ones. They only use scientific atlanta. They have no idea how to fix the problem with the multi streams, apparently corporate is working on it, but it didn't sound like it was a high priority, thus unlikely to get fixed in the near future.

Good luck
Old 12-25-2008, 07:41 PM   #5934
tc2

rcoates777 -

I'm in Foxboro too. I'm having the same issue you're having plus a couple other ones. I had a field tech out Wednesday and he told me they are having an issue in the area with the channels you mentioned. He said he'd escalate to tier two but nothing he could do about it locally. He said it should get resolved within a week. My other issue are I'm losing signal to all my channels on both tuners. Only thing that helps is power cycling the TiVo. I've had that issue for about two months but it only got ridiculous about a week ago. The tech who came out swapped my old S cards for a couple M cards. Worked fine when he left now when I go to a premium channel (like HBO or Showtime) or a lot of digital channels, the cable card info comes up instead of video. I have a second series 3 and that one is working fine except for the loss of a few HD channels. Very frustrating. I've got another tech coming out next Wednesday.
tc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 03:16 AM   #5935
jstepak

Just a quick heads up - here in the SF Bay Area, Comcast gives us the option of installing our own cable cards (and to save the $19.99 fee to have someone from Comcast come out). I went to the Comcast service center, told the woman at the window that I had a TiVo HD box and she said "Oh, so you'll need a M-card". I agree and she handed me the card. When I got home and installed it, the Guided Setup recognized it as an S-Card (single stream) Then I called Comcast and gave them the serial number (starting with an "NG") they confirmed I had received the S-card by mistake. I asked them how I could identify the M (multistream) card so I would be sure I had an M-card before I left the Comcast office again and she said the serial number would start with an "MA". Just wanted to let you all know in case you are picking up your own card and want to be sure you have the M-card before you leave the Comcast office. Just FYI: In our area, the fee for the card is $1.79 / month. And, you save about $11 dollars if you had a Comcast cable box or $5 if you had 2 boxes and are just returning the second.
jstepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 06:24 AM   #5936
tc2

jstepak -

Comcast just raised the cost of additional cable cards here from $5.00 each to $6.95 each. Anyone else paying this much?
tc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 08:39 AM   #5937
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc2 View Post
jstepak -

Comcast just raised the cost of additional cable cards here from $5.00 each to $6.95 each. Anyone else paying this much?
FYI - Comcast DOES NOT have consistent pricing across
their Service Area. Each Region negotiates their rates
with a LOCAL PUC. It is possible some areas still have
a low price and in my area - I just complained about
the 40% PRICE HIKE to $6.95 from $5.00. I have had
my cards [5 of them] installed for 3 Years. They
started at $1.99 per month. It is now MORE THAN a
3X Price increase over just 3 years.

I THINK IT IS HIGHWAY ROBBERY - Thank You Comcast
drhankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 08:40 AM   #5938
cherry ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazi4tv View Post
One common problem that happens is that billing codes are incorrect or missing. Verify that for each cablecard that you have installed that your cable provider has a service code: if you have 4 cards, their system must have 4 cablecard service codes. Also, per the previous poster the card must be "initilized". If the proper signals are not sent, then the card will not decrypt all your channels.

If you are only receiving unencrypted channels, go to the Diagnostic screen. First, tune to a channels which is not coming in & press Record. Go to TiVo Central, select Messages & Settings, Account & System Information, Diagnostics. Look for Channel List Received YES means the channel map has downloaded, NO means the card was unable to acquire a channel map, either because the card was never activated, not paired correctly or because it is not receiving a signal.

A couple of things to check on the Conditional Access screen is Con:Yes which means that the card is connected to the cable system. Also look for Val:V which means that the cable system has verified the Host ID (unique 13 digit ID of the Tuner) is valid which occurs if pairing is good. if you see Val:? than the Host was not verified as being valid. Towards the bottom of the screen, look for Auth, if you see anything other than S than that channel is not subscribed for viewing which is caused by either a service code issue or the card was not properly initialized.

Post back what is on those screens
Any thoughts on my situation here

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=414056

The card that works has,

Con:Yes
Val:V
Auth:MP

The card having problems has,

Con:Yes
Val:?
Auth:Cad
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 09:26 AM   #5939
rcoates777

more Foxboro, MA (tc2)

Quote:
rcoates777 -

I'm in Foxboro too. I'm having the same issue you're having plus a couple other ones. He said it should get resolved within a week. My other issue are I'm losing signal to all my channels on both tuners. Only thing that helps is power cycling the TiVo. The tech who came out swapped my old S cards for a couple M cards. Worked fine when he left now when I go to a premium channel (like HBO or Showtime) or a lot of digital channels, the cable card info comes up instead of video. I have a second series 3 and that one is working fine except for the loss of a few HD channels.
TC2 -

Thanks for letting us know that you are having the same problem with reception of a few of those channels. I'm constantly amazed that Comcast sends out techs if they already know about a problem in the area.

Your problem of losing signals to both tuners on one of your boxes sounds like a problem with that particular TiVo box. When the tech replaced your S cards for "a couple M cards" was that 2 M cards in the one box or one in each of your 2 TiVos? You no doubt know that you only need 1 M card per TiVo.

Another post of yours said the price of the additional Cable Card went from $5 to $6.95/mo. I'm still paying $1.50/mo. but I guess these charges are negotiated separately for each town. I had requested a single M-Card when I scheduled my installation but Comcast came with 2 S-Cards so I am getting charged for the 2nd one. (Don't get me started!)

Please keep me posted on your progress with the missing channels. I'll let you know what happens in Dover. Comcast is scheduled to visit my neighbor on Saturday (12/27) to look at the "missing channel" problem.

Bob
rcoates777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 10:05 AM   #5940
HerronScott

Quote:
jstepak -

Here (ex-Adelphia site in Virginia which was purchased by Comcast) we are charged $2.00 for the second one which is up from $1.50.

Scott
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote