TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-05-2008, 02:43 PM   #391
jmemmott

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehagberg View Post
Any chance adding closed caption data extraction to kmttg has been considered?

t2sami can do it, but with all the automated functionality already integrated in kmttg, it would get that last step done all at once, rather than leaving another manual piece to the video download/commercial-cut/re-encode process.
If you already have t2sami installed, you can use its command line interface during the processing to do the extraction:

"C:\Program Files\T2Sami\t2extract.exe" -f srt "E:\Tivo\Legend of the Seeker - Bounty.tivo"

will create "E:\Tivo\Legend of the Seeker - Bounty.srt" for you.

Just do any cuts first to avoid loosing sync between the A/V and the captions.
jmemmott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 07:42 PM   #392
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmemmott View Post
If you already have t2sami installed, you can use its command line interface during the processing to do the extraction:

"C:\Program Files\T2Sami\t2extract.exe" -f srt "E:\Tivo\Legend of the Seeker - Bounty.tivo"

Thanks. Does it work starting from .mpg files as well or just .TiVo? If it doesn't work on .mpg then it's not very ideal since if one goes off to either automatically or manually remove commercials from .mpg then there's no way to have a corresponding .srt
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 09:18 PM   #393
jmemmott

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Thanks. Does it work starting from .mpg files as well or just .TiVo? If it doesn't work on .mpg then it's not very ideal since if one goes off to either automatically or manually remove commercials from .mpg then there's no way to have a corresponding .srt

It will handle either one equally as well as .vob files from DVD's. That is why I made the comment about doing the processing after making cuts. The captions are distributed uniformly throughout and cutting the commercial video also cuts out the closed captioning associated with the commercials...
Old 12-05-2008, 11:25 PM   #394
moyekj

Quote:
It will handle either one equally as well as .vob files from DVD's. That is why I made the comment about doing the processing after making cuts. The captions are distributed uniformly throughout and cutting the commercial video also cuts out the closed captioning associated with the commercials...
OK great. Sounds like a good flexible tool. I'll look into it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:05 PM   #395
waynomo
My One Time

Error Message

First, let me say thank you for all the time and effort you put into this great program!!

The first few times I started KMTTG a command window opened an the error message 'Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at C:\Program Files\KMTTG\kmttg\kmttg.pl line 4210" appeared 10 times. It didn't appear immediately. It appears right about the same time the blue "TOTALS" and "NOTE" messages appears in the job monitor window.

I added wperl to the start of my shortcut and now the cmd window doesn't appear, but I wanted to make sure the error message wasn't anything to be concerned about.

I could have sworn I saw somebody address this in an earlier discussion, but I can seem to find a reference to it.

Thanks again,
Wayne
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 04:14 PM   #396
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post
First, let me say thank you for all the time and effort you put into this great program!!

The first few times I started KMTTG a command window opened an the error message 'Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at C:\Program Files\KMTTG\kmttg\kmttg.pl line 4210" appeared 10 times. It didn't appear immediately. It appears right about the same time the blue "TOTALS" and "NOTE" messages appears in the job monitor window.

I added wperl to the start of my shortcut and now the cmd window doesn't appear, but I wanted to make sure the error message wasn't anything to be concerned about.

I could have sworn I saw somebody address this in an earlier discussion, but I can seem to find a reference to it.

Thanks again,
Wayne
Yes it's nothing serious, but I have perl in verbose warning mode and usually try and prevent those kinds of warnings so thanks for bringing it up. This issue is for recordings on your Tivos that don't have associated channel numbers and/or names, such as recordings you copied from PC->Tivo for example. This is creating references to an uninitialized hash key in Perl which is where the warnings are coming from.

Old 12-08-2008, 04:42 PM   #397
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Yes it's nothing serious, but I have perl in verbose warning mode and usually try and prevent those kinds of warnings so thanks for bringing it up. This issue is for recordings on your Tivos that don't have associated channel numbers and/or names, such as recordings you copied from PC->Tivo for example. This is creating references to an uninitialized hash key in Perl which is where the warnings are coming from.
That makes sense. I am guessing it is the programs from the Onion News Network. (Downloads) I don't think I currently have any programs on my Tivo that came from my PC.
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 05:24 PM   #398
moyekj

Quote:

FYI, I already have this integrated and working in development area but just have been sitting on it for a while since the most tedious portion of updating the documentation still needs to be done. I was amazed how fast that program runs. A 1 hour SD show it crunches through in about 5-10 seconds. The .srt file looks to be an easily parsable format too so perhaps integration of captions with tivostream in the future may be possible.

Old 12-10-2008, 06:27 PM   #399
jmemmott

You could create a streaming subset that works now. The GUI version of T2Sami creates streamable captioned MPEG2's and you have access to all of the programs it is using. None of it will be on the fly. You have to use open captioning with streaming which means a re-encoding step...

These are the blind alleys I am still working out: I can create streamable captioned MPEG2 files in a single step with T2Sami using mencoder but I have not been able to get a streamable MP4's, captioned or not, using mencoder. It appears I may need to use something else to mux it into the right format afterward if I want to go that route. I can get a streamable MP4's in a single step out of T2Sami with ffmpeg but I can't add the open captions using ffmpeg, only closed captions which won't work with streaming - only for downloading.

I tried VLC outside of t2sami but the captions it created were so ugly/unreadable, I dropped that path for the time being.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:35 PM   #400
ehagberg

Quote:
So far I've only seen this when trying to cut commercials from "Chuck" and not other HD shows (though I've not tried this on too many other HD shows), but it consistently fails at the comcut stage with this error:

I:\kmttg\Chuck - Chuck Versus the Sensei_Mon_Dec_01_cut.mpg size=66.22 MB elapsed=00:01:00 (9.26 Mbps)
*ERROR* comcut failed (exit code: 5) - check above C:\Documents and Settings\Eric.TALTOS\Desktop\kmttg\mencoder\mencoder.exe command
Using SSE optimized IMDCT transform
Using MMX optimized resampler
Limiting audio preload to 0.4s.
Increasing audio density to 4.

1 duplicate frame(s)!
(...snip...)

The error window then fills with thousands of errors, mostly of the "1 duplicate frame(s)" type, though occasionally with messages like "ERROR: scr 0.556, dts 0.000, pts 0.300" or "Warning! FPS changed 23.976 -> 29.970 (-5.994005) [4]".

The original 1-hour show takes 5.something Gb. Eventually the comcut bit fails with:

Couldn't realloc frame buffer(idx), abort

PARSE_MPEG12: add_frames(69108) failed, exit

And leaves just 67Mb or so in the cut file.

Anyone else have this sort of problem?
Nobody? I can easily reproduce this problem, and I've seen that even when the program claims to have been successful, there's just a 50-70Mb file left behind with just a few seconds of video.

Seems that anything recorded in HD on NBC has this problem (I'm getting the programming from FiOS if that matters).

Seems like this is likely a bug in mencoder, as the comskip .edl file seems to have valid data.
ehagberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 12:50 PM   #401
moyekj

Quote:
Nobody? I can easily reproduce this problem, and I've seen that even when the program claims to have been successful, there's just a 50-70Mb file left behind with just a few seconds of video.

Seems that anything recorded in HD on NBC has this problem (I'm getting the programming from FiOS if that matters).

Seems like this is likely a bug in mencoder, as the comskip .edl file seems to have valid data.
mencoder is pretty bad at introducing sync errors especially if the source mpeg has glitches. If you were to run source mpeg through VideoRedo QuickStream Fix before making the cuts with mencoder I think you may find the problem is resolved. Then again, if you have VideoRedo the cuts would be done using it instead of mencoder with kmttg.

Old 12-12-2008, 07:07 PM   #402
ehagberg

Quote:
mencoder is pretty bad at introducing sync errors especially if the source mpeg has glitches. If you were to run source mpeg through VideoRedo QuickStream Fix before making the cuts with mencoder I think you may find the problem is resolved. Then again, if you have VideoRedo the cuts would be done using it instead of mencoder with kmttg.
Well, it's not a problem with the source mpeg. I ran it through QSF and the same problem occurs - the original file is about 2Gb, while the resulting output file (there are a couple commercials, but it's not _that_ much) is about 50Mb after mencoder has attempted to cut out the commercials. Only the first 5 seconds of video are left in the file, while the audio seems to be intact.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:03 PM   #403
moyekj

Quote:
Well, it's not a problem with the source mpeg. I ran it through QSF and the same problem occurs - the original file is about 2Gb, while the resulting output file (there are a couple commercials, but it's not _that_ much) is about 50Mb after mencoder has attempted to cut out the commercials. Only the first 5 seconds of video are left in the file, while the audio seems to be intact.
If you have VideoRedo you should set it up in kmttg (specify installation path to it) and then kmttg will use VRD to make the cuts instead of mencoder. If VRD isn't able to make cuts properly then I don't think you'll find anything else that will.

Old 12-13-2008, 01:55 PM   #404
moyekj

new version posted

v0.5g (12/14/2008)
------------------
ENHANCEMENTS:
* Added "captions" option which uses T2Sami to extract captions from
.TiVo or .mpg files. This creates a .srt file with same name as the
video file from which it was derived but using .srt suffix.
This option is only enabled for Windows machines with path to
"t2extract.exe" program specified in the configuration.

Old 12-13-2008, 02:54 PM   #405
muerte33

Moyekj,
Do you have an encoding profile for creating Divx or Xvid files from MPG(for KMTTG)?
The H264_High_rate took a 2gb file and made it a 6gb file on my pc.

Thanks!
muerte33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 03:19 PM   #406
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by muerte33 View Post
Moyekj,
Do you have an encoding profile for creating Divx or Xvid files from MPG(for KMTTG)?
The H264_High_rate took a 2gb file and made it a 6gb file on my pc.

Thanks!
The "zen" profile (in latest release) is xvid format, though it's low bit rate and low resolution, but you could make a copy of encode\zen.enc file with a different name and adjust the settings. Something like the following modified zen profile will work:
Code:
FFMPEG -y -i INPUT -vcodec libxvid -acodec libmp3lame -b 2000k -ac 2 -f avi OUTPUT
If you want higher or lower bitrate adjust the -b setting.

You could also try the h256_med_rate (and perhaps adjust it's bitrate setting for your needs). Note that I designed this scheme to make it easy to copy a "template" scheme and adjust it for your needs.

Old 12-14-2008, 06:41 PM   #407
ehagberg

Quote:
If you have VideoRedo you should set it up in kmttg (specify installation path to it) and then kmttg will use VRD to make the cuts instead of mencoder. If VRD isn't able to make cuts properly then I don't think you'll find anything else that will.
I'd really rather not use VideoRedo is something like mencoder can/should work instead.

It turns out that with some tweaking of the options sent to mencoder, I can get it to pass, successfully, the same files that were getting hacked into uselessness with the command-line options kmttg currently uses for commercial cutting.

Any chance the command could be modified/configurable rather than hardcoded as it is today?
Old 12-14-2008, 08:19 PM   #408
moyekj

Quote:
Any chance the command could be modified/configurable rather than hardcoded as it is today?
You can always edit kmttg.pl and adjust it as needed (line 3534 in current version).

Old 12-14-2008, 09:24 PM   #409
hoyty

Quote:
It turns out that with some tweaking of the options sent to mencoder, I can get it to pass, successfully, the same files that were getting hacked into uselessness with the command-line options kmttg currently uses for commercial cutting.

Can you share your command-line changes? I just tried out KMTTG for the first time tonight and I am getting what I think is a similar error.
Code:
>> CUTTING COMMERCIALS IN E:\TiVo\My Name Is Earl - Orphan Earl_Thu_Dec_11.mpg ...
"E:\Temp\KMTTG\kmttg\mencoder\mencoder.exe" "E:\TiVo\My Name Is Earl - Orphan Earl_Thu_Dec_11.mpg" -edl "E:\TiVo\My Name Is Earl - Orphan Earl_Thu_Dec_11.edl" -oac copy -ovc copy -of mpeg -o "E:\Downloaded TV\My Name Is Earl - Orphan Earl_Thu_Dec_11_cut.mpg"
E:\Downloaded TV\My Name Is Earl - Orphan Earl_Thu_Dec_11_cut.mpg size=56.30 MB elapsed=00:04:51 (1.62 Mbps)
*ERROR* comcut failed (exit code: 5) - check above E:\Temp\KMTTG\kmttg\mencoder\mencoder.exe command
Using SSE optimized IMDCT transform
Using MMX optimized resampler
Limiting audio preload to 0.4s.
Increasing audio density to 4.

ERROR: scr 1.243, dts 0.000, pts 0.300
I tried it both on ER and Earl, which are NBC so that may be the commonality. I am testing a CBS show now to see what happens.

I had a few other questions, as I said I am new to KMTTG and I couldn't find these mentioned in the thread or docs.

1. Is there a reason the newer versions of comskip or mplayer/mencoder aren't being used? Just curious on this one if the newer ones might be more efficient or robust.

2. Can the extracted metadata be used for anything other than pyTiVo back to TiVo? I am using the files on Vista Media Center and was trying to see if I could get the metadata usable there.

Thanks for a great tool.

Brian
hoyty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 11:30 PM   #410
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyty View Post
1. Is there a reason the newer versions of comskip or mplayer/mencoder aren't being used? Just curious on this one if the newer ones might be more efficient or robust.

2. Can the extracted metadata be used for anything other than pyTiVo back to TiVo? I am using the files on Vista Media Center and was trying to see if I could get the metadata usable there.

Thanks for a great tool.

Brian
1. No reason - I just don't update the windows util zip file too often unless a real need comes up. Note that kmttg configuration allows you to give path to wherever you install newer versions so nothing stopping you from doing so. I should add that I never use comskip/comcut since I prefer to edit out commercials manually and can do it pretty quickly and much more accurately that way. I'm no fan of mencoder as most of the time it's caused me nothing but headaches. If there's a better free tool for doing cuts I'm all ears.
2. Don't think there's any other tool other than pyTivo that can use the metadata file.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:55 AM   #411
hoyty

Quote:
I should add that I never use comskip/comcut since I prefer to edit out commercials manually and can do it pretty quickly and much more accurately that way. I'm no fan of mencoder as most of the time it's caused me nothing but headaches. If there's a better free tool for doing cuts I'm all ears.
What do you use to cut commercials and do you still automate the re-encoding?
hoyty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 09:32 AM   #412
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyty View Post
What do you use to cut commercials and do you still automate the re-encoding?
Though I have VideoRedo I mostly use Womble Mpeg Video Wizard as I can do the cuts quicker with that software (but I do use VRD Quickstream fix option in kmttg before editing). I don't re-encode often but when I do I just go into FILES mode in kmttg to select files to re-encode, so it's not automated.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:16 PM   #413
wtherrell

Question Can this do the reverse?

I want to prepare other videos files in a compressed configuration to convert to be shown on Tivo. I have used pyTivo with some sucess but the resulting files are very large. Also it does it on the fly. I would like to convert, compress, and then move the files to the Tivo for downloading onto any of my 3 Tivos. Can this program do that? Or what do I need?
wtherrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 08:48 PM   #414
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtherrell View Post
I want to prepare other videos files in a compressed configuration to convert to be shown on Tivo. I have used pyTivo with some sucess but the resulting files are very large. Also it does it on the fly. I would like to convert, compress, and then move the files to the Tivo for downloading onto any of my 3 Tivos. Can this program do that? Or what do I need?
No, it's not suited to do the reverse (convert from some other encoding to mpeg2). All you really need for that is to use ffmpeg which incidentally is what pyTivo is using under the hood. ffmpeg is also used by kmttg to convert from mpeg2 to other formats, but it's also perfectly capable of converting other formats to mpeg2. However, note that it's a command line base utility so there is no GUI for it. Most likely there are GUIs built around it (for example there's ffmpegX for Macs) if you are not comfortable with batch scripting.
There are many command line options to control exactly how encoding is done (including the video & audio bit rates, etc) with ffmpeg so it requires some research/experimentation to get something that works well, but it's time well spent.

Old 12-15-2008, 11:51 PM   #415
Meklos

1) Let me say that as a new user of this software, I am in love with it so far. I really appreciate your work on it.

2) Would it be of any use (or maybe it's been done) to have a thread where people post these various encoding profiles and report how well it works, for what function, etc?

I'm looking to download OTA HD shows, cut the commercials and push it back, keeping the codec to as near-original as possible... Is there a built-in profile I should pick, or does someone else have an option for me?
Meklos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 02:31 AM   #416
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meklos View Post
I'm looking to download OTA HD shows, cut the commercials and push it back, keeping the codec to as near-original as possible... Is there a built-in profile I should pick, or does someone else have an option for me?
That's easy. After you are done cutting out commercials you're done! You can then feed it back to your Series 3 Tivos as is without further processing (no re-encoding needed as the file will already be in mpeg2 program stream format which is what the Tivo wants). I would recommend enabling the metadata option then use pyTivo to transfer it back to your Tivo (that way you can preserve show details).

Old 12-16-2008, 01:53 PM   #417
menos

Couple of things real quick.

1. Is there anyway to add the seriesId to the meta file?
2. It seems that it is having problems with shows that have an & in the title. Law & Order turns into Law & Order
menos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 06:53 AM   #418
muerte33

OK, is this the ffmpeg parameter to go divx?

-vcodec mpeg4 -vtag DIVX

????
Some players do not support Xvid, only Divx
Thanks!
muerte33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 12:31 PM   #419
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by muerte33 View Post
OK, is this the ffmpeg parameter to go divx?

-vcodec mpeg4 -vtag DIVX

????
Some players do not support Xvid, only Divx
Thanks!
That looks right to me.

Old 12-17-2008, 12:34 PM   #420
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by menos View Post
Couple of things real quick.

1. Is there anyway to add the seriesId to the meta file?
2. It seems that it is having problems with shows that have an & in the title. Law & Order turns into Law & Order
I will need to take some time to look into these. I assume for issue 2 you are talking about the title that goes into the metadata file right?