TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-13-2008, 07:28 AM   #61
raianoat
TiVoBlog.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoav View Post
Ok, version 0.7 is up. It should fix the bug raianoat reported.

Additionally, it now enables the local web configuration (http://localhost:9032). Keep in mind that if you make changes via the web interface, you should NOT click 'Restart' which will overwrite those changes. (Quitting and re-running the pyTivoX is ok though). Don't think most users will need the web interface.. but was asked for it so enabled it.
Thanks a lot! I'll try it out later today/early tomorrow.
raianoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 07:38 AM   #62
raianoat
TiVoBlog.com

Quote:
Ok, version 0.7 is up. It should fix the bug raianoat reported.

Additionally, it now enables the local web configuration (http://localhost:9032). Keep in mind that if you make changes via the web interface, you should NOT click 'Restart' which will overwrite those changes. (Quitting and re-running the pyTivoX is ok though). Don't think most users will need the web interface.. but was asked for it so enabled it.
I tried a couple of videos and it seems to be working. Thanks again! I'll be sure to mention this version on my blog.
Old 12-13-2008, 09:53 PM   #63
Yoav

Ok I made an 'interface-type' change and bumped up the version to 1.0 (since it seems to be stable enough to tell others to go ahead and use it).

the interface change is a little odd due to apple's behavior:

When you install the app, it will assume you want to run it as a program (serving when it's running, and not serving when you quit). It will have a dock icon and a menu bar, and will generally act the way most programs work. If you close the window with the red X, it will remain running, and you can always pop the window back by clicking on the dock icon.

IF you select 'startup at launch', it will still have an icon/menubar until you restart the application. When you do, it will launch and only show you the little menulet at the top, from which you can open the config window. There will be no dock icon or menubar.

If you un-select 'startup', you'll still need to quit and restart before the dock icon appears again...

Anyways, long blah blah for something that is probably not relevant to most, but figured I'd explain the odd behavior . Just choose whether you want it always running in the background, or whether you prefer to run it when you want to download only, and leave it that way...

Oh yeah.. main point: 1.0 is out...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Yoav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 12:24 AM   #64
bedelman
Call me Bob

Yoav -- thanks so much for doing this. I've been wanting to change to using pyTiVo for a while now -- and even more so now that it looks like version 11 of the TiVo software now locks up when I try to pull from a Mac running TiVoDotNet.

This might be obvious for some others -- but if you're still using TiVoDotNet (like I was), you need to stop TiVoDotNet from running before pyTiVoX will work

It does look like the aspect settings may need to be tweaked a tiny bit in ffmpegX. I have a widescreen AVI file that's 640 x 272 and it's cutting of about 10 pixels on the left and right -- although I suppose it could be my HDTV that's doing this as well.

You can never have too many TiVo's (7) or wireless routers (5) -- all in one residence!
bedelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 07:38 AM   #65
raianoat
TiVoBlog.com

Quote:
Ok I made an 'interface-type' change and bumped up the version to 1.0 (since it seems to be stable enough to tell others to go ahead and use it).

the interface change is a little odd due to apple's behavior:

When you install the app, it will assume you want to run it as a program (serving when it's running, and not serving when you quit). It will have a dock icon and a menu bar, and will generally act the way most programs work. If you close the window with the red X, it will remain running, and you can always pop the window back by clicking on the dock icon.

IF you select 'startup at launch', it will still have an icon/menubar until you restart the application. When you do, it will launch and only show you the little menulet at the top, from which you can open the config window. There will be no dock icon or menubar.

If you un-select 'startup', you'll still need to quit and restart before the dock icon appears again...

Anyways, long blah blah for something that is probably not relevant to most, but figured I'd explain the odd behavior . Just choose whether you want it always running in the background, or whether you prefer to run it when you want to download only, and leave it that way...

Oh yeah.. main point: 1.0 is out...
Thanks again for all your hard work. it really is appreciated!
Old 12-14-2008, 10:38 AM   #66
gsr1

I downloaded and installed pyTivoX v 1.0.
I added a shared folder containing a bunch of MP4 files, set the type as Video, gave it a shared name, and then clicked restart.
I don't see anything on my Tivo.
Was I supposed to download/install anyting else, like pyTivo, or is pyTivoX all I need?

Last edited by gsr1 : 12-14-2008 at 01:30 PM.
gsr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 11:10 AM   #67
fatespawn

intel? ppc? 10.5? 10.4?
fatespawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 11:42 AM   #68
gsr1

Intel, 10.5.5, IMac 2.16GHZ, circa 6/07, Tivo HD
I do have Parallels running - I'm not sure if this is an issue, per earlier in the thread.

Last edited by gsr1 : 12-14-2008 at 01:20 PM.
Old 12-14-2008, 01:32 PM   #69
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr1 View Post
Intel, 10.5.5, IMac 2.16GHZ, circa 6/07, Tivo HD
I do have Parallels running - I'm not sure if this is an issue, per earlier in the thread.
pyTivoX is all you need. Except you've obviously stumbled on a bug .

Questions:
is your tivo on the same subnet as your mac? If so, do you know what the broadcast address for that subnet is?

Can you make sure pyTivo and parallels are both running, and then open up a Terminal.app and type the following commands, and send the full output here?
Code:
route get default
ifconfig -a
ps auxwww  | grep Python
One other thing: are you running any other copies of pyTivo? or do you have any program running that might be using port 9032?

Old 12-14-2008, 01:48 PM   #70
gsr1

1. My Tivo and Mac are on the same subnet. I have the Tivo connected via a wireless connection and I see both the Mac and Tivo connected when I examine the DHCP clients table.

2. Both pyTivoX and Parallels are running - I'm still confused as to pyTivo vs pyTivoX, as I only downloaded and installed pyTivoX.

3. Here is the full output:

Last login: Sun Dec 14 14:47:15 on ttys000
GSR1-MAC:~ GSR$ route get default
route to: default
destination: default
mask: default
gateway: 192.168.1.1
interface: en0
flags: <UP,GATEWAY,DONE,STATIC,PRCLONING>
recvpipe sendpipe ssthresh rtt,msec rttvar hopcount mtu expire
0 0 0 0 0 0 1500 0
GSR1-MAC:~ GSR$ ifconfig -a
lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
gif0: flags=8010<POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST> mtu 1280
stf0: flags=0<> mtu 1280
en0: flags=8963<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTIC AST> mtu 1500
inet6 fe80::21b:63ff:fe1d:e4fd%en0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x4
inet 192.168.1.103 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255
ether 00:1b:63:1d:e4:fd
media: autoselect (100baseTX <full-duplex,flow-control>) status: active
supported media: autoselect 10baseT/UTP <half-duplex> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex,flow-control> 100baseTX <half-duplex> 100baseTX <full-duplex> 100baseTX <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 100baseTX <full-duplex,flow-control> 1000baseT <full-duplex> 1000baseT <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 1000baseT <full-duplex,flow-control> none
fw0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 2030
lladdr 00:1b:63:ff:fe:0b:01:f2
media: autoselect <full-duplex> status: inactive
supported media: autoselect <full-duplex>
en1: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
ether 00:1b:63:15:05:82
media: autoselect (<unknown type>) status: inactive
supported media: autoselect
en4: flags=8963<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTIC AST> mtu 1500
inet6 fe80::21c:42ff:fe00:8%en4 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x7
inet 10.211.55.2 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 10.211.55.255
ether 00:1c:42:00:00:08
media: autoselect status: active
en5: flags=8963<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTIC AST> mtu 1500
inet6 fe80::21c:42ff:fe00:9%en5 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x8
inet 10.37.129.2 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 10.37.129.255
ether 00:1c:42:00:00:09
media: autoselect status: active
GSR1-MAC:~ GSR$ ps auxwww | grep Python
GSR 59535 0.0 0.0 599820 460 s000 R+ 2:47PM 0:00.00 grep Python
GSR 59474 0.0 1.0 113656 21072 ?? Ss 2:41PM 0:01.08 /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/Resources/Python.app/Contents/MacOS/Python /Applications/pyTivoX.app/Contents/Resources/pyTivo-wgw/pyTivo.py
GSR1-MAC:~ GSR$
Old 12-14-2008, 01:56 PM   #71
Yoav

Quote:
2. Both pyTivoX and Parallels are running - I'm still confused as to pyTivo vs pyTivoX, as I only downloaded and installed pyTivoX.

Short version: pyTivo is a python program which does the stuff. It requires you configure it and install ffmpeg.
pyTivoX is an application bundle that comes with pyTivo, ffmpeg, and a configurator for pyTivo, and lets you auto-launch it at login. It's aimed at people who don't want to have to bother with building applications or installing fink/darwinports or whatever...

Ok now to the problem we're seeing:
It looks like it's configured correctly to use the right broadcast address (you can look at ~/Library/Application Support/pyTivoX/pyTivo.conf for the beacon value, it should be set to your broadcast address). So this is not an issue with parallel's shadow network getting priority.

So now we get to wonder why your tivo is not seeing pyTivo. One thing to look at is the output in /tmp/pyTivoX.log .. is there anything interesting in there (or just cut/paste the last 100 lines or so here)?

Old 12-14-2008, 01:59 PM   #72
gsr1

Bare with my - I'm a MAC newbie.
Where do I find the /tmp/pyTivox.log?
Old 12-14-2008, 02:09 PM   #73
Yoav

Quote:
Bare with my - I'm a MAC newbie.
Where do I find the /tmp/pyTivox.log?
Sorry your last response made it seem like you're familiar with the workings

Ok, open up a Terminal.app program (you can't access /tmp from the Finder).

in the Terminal.app program, type
Code:
 less /tmp/pyTivoX.log
hit 'q' when you're done. or use
Code:
 tail -100 /tmp/pyTivoX.log
to just see the last 100 lines.

Old 12-14-2008, 03:00 PM   #74
bedelman
Call me Bob

Quote:
...(you can't access /tmp from the Finder)....
Actually, you can -- it's just not obvious. Under the "Go" menu in Finder is a "Go to Folder..." option. Chose that and type in /tmp and hit the "Go" button -- and you'll be taken there

- Bob

You can never have too many TiVo's (7) or wireless routers (5) -- all in one residence!
Old 12-14-2008, 04:30 PM   #75
gsr1

Thanks. I tried both ways of getting the /temp file and got the same result. The entire log is just:

INFO: pyTivo: pyTivo is ready.

There aren't actually any spaces after the ":" I put them there to avoid getting the character.
Old 12-14-2008, 05:05 PM   #76
bedelman
Call me Bob

Quote:
Thanks. I tried both ways of getting the /temp file and got the same result. The entire log is just:

INFO: pyTivo: pyTivo is ready.

There aren't actually any spaces after the ":" I put them there to avoid getting the character.
Do you have a Shared Directory setup as shown in the pyTiVoX configuration screen? If so, are there any video files in that directory?

If there is an entry, you might also try using the same "Go to Folder" screen to check to see if that directory location is the right one -- or is valid

Old 12-14-2008, 06:13 PM   #77
gsr1

I have my iTunes..Movies folder set as the shared folder. It does have a bunch of MP4 movies.
I double checked...the folder selected is shared. I changed the folder above it to be shared as well, in case that makes a difference.
I still don't get it to show up.
I have TivoDeskTop On -- I did buy Toast. Does this need to be off? Apparently not, as I just turned it off and it still didn't work. So, I turned TivoDeskTop back on.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:42 PM   #78
bedelman
Call me Bob

Neither Toast or TiVo Desktop for Mac OSX should interfere (I have both and TiVo Desktop is on)

Are these videos from the iTunes Music Store? If so, they're protected with Apple's DRM and nothing other than Apple's software or hardware knows how to unlock them.

- Bob

Old 12-14-2008, 06:48 PM   #79
gsr1

No - they are not protected.
Old 12-14-2008, 07:56 PM   #80
bedelman
Call me Bob

Quote:
No - they are not protected.
Thanks -- I'd suggest putting them somewhere else though if you can. Depending on your setup, there can be other protected movies and/or music in the iTunes folder structure. If not, I suppose it's possible for iTunes to also have some of those files in use when iTunes is running. This is all conjecture on my part -- but I'm keeping my pyTiVo movies in a completely separate folder (just like I used to do with TiVoDotNet) and then setting up the share for that folder and don't include the iTunes folder structure at all.

- Bob

Old 12-14-2008, 08:25 PM   #81
Yoav

It's definitely nothing to do wth security settings.. Otherwise your tivo would at least see the share, but the share may be unable to provide the movies.

From the one line in the log, I'd guess that pytivo isn't running right. It generally outputs a bunch of warnings when it runs (about cheetah and whatnot).

So, my first question:
what happens when you run (in Terminal.app)
Code:
python -V
If it reports anything other than 2.5.1, then first I'd ask "are you sure you're on 10.5?"

Ok, if it reports 2.5.1, then make sure pyTivoX isn't running (use the Exit button, not the close window button).

then run the following:
Code:
python /Applications/pyTivoX.app/Contents/Resources/pyTivo-wgw/pyTivo.py
I'm wondering if that reports anything interesting to stdout..

Old 12-14-2008, 09:20 PM   #82
gsr1

I'm definitely on 10.5.5. Here is the Terminal output:

GSR1-MAC:~ GSR$ python -V
Python 2.5.1
GSR1-MAC:~ GSR$ python /Applications/pyTivoX.app/Contents/Resources/pyTivo-wgw/pyTivo.py
INFOyTivoyTivo is ready.

The above should be ":" followed by "p" that is : p without the space between them
Old 12-14-2008, 09:53 PM   #83
Yoav

Quote:
I'm definitely on 10.5.5. Here is the Terminal output:

GSR1-MAC:~ GSR$ python -V
Python 2.5.1
GSR1-MAC:~ GSR$ python /Applications/pyTivoX.app/Contents/Resources/pyTivo-wgw/pyTivo.py
INFOyTivoyTivo is ready.

The above should be ":" followed by "p" that is : p without the space between them
Hmm.. (btw, if you want it not to replace the smilies, highlight the chunk and select the 'code' tags from the menu (it looks like a big # )).

Ok, so it's the right version of python, and the right code base. So now the only thing left to wonder about is the settings of your pyTivo.conf... so can you run

Code:
cat ~/Library/Application\ Support/pyTivoX/pyTivo.conf
and paste the output here? I must say this is strange

Old 12-14-2008, 10:05 PM   #84
gsr1

Okay. I decided to add a different share folder and put on the desktop, in a folder called tivo, just like in your screenshot. It didn't make a difference.
I then figured, maybe I should restart my Tivo, so went ahead and restarted it.
When it came back up, I went to the Now Playing and saw both shared folders, and saw the movies within the folders!
I am now in the process of downloading a movie onto the Tivo. I expect it to work and will let you know tomorrow night.
It looks like all I needed to do was to restart the Tivo, for whatever reason.
I appreciate your help (and Bob's). Hopefully this thread will help others.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:14 PM   #85
Yoav

Quote:
Okay. I decided to add a different share folder and put on the desktop, in a folder called tivo, just like in your screenshot. It didn't make a difference.
I then figured, maybe I should restart my Tivo, so went ahead and restarted it.
When it came back up, I went to the Now Playing and saw both shared folders, and saw the movies within the folders!
I am now in the process of downloading a movie onto the Tivo. I expect it to work and will let you know tomorrow night.
It looks like all I needed to do was to restart the Tivo, for whatever reason.
I appreciate your help (and Bob's). Hopefully this thread will help others.
Wow. Well, glad it's working now...
I guess next time I get a similar question my first answer will be 'reboot!'

By the way you don't need to wait for the whole movie to download. You can generally view it as you're downloading (although if your download is slow, it will end up stopping a lot).

Thanks for your patience...

Old 12-15-2008, 05:32 AM   #86
gsr1

It worked great - the movie downloaded to my Tivo and looks great!
Thanks again for your help, and thanks for the program!
Old 12-20-2008, 08:53 PM   #87
ciscokidinsf

I'm going to try it. I actually had NOT updated to 10.5 because TivoDotNet only ran in 10.4. But as Bob said, the latest TivoHD update killed it.

A question, will it work if my video directory is on a drive mounted via SMB? I have my videos in my Network Attached Storage. I don't have space in my main HD to do it. I need to know otherwise I'll have to stick with TDN working on the Series 2
ciscokidinsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 09:17 PM   #88
westside_guy
Annoyingly ephemeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciscokidinsf View Post
A question, will it work if my video directory is on a drive mounted via SMB? I have my videos in my Network Attached Storage. I don't have space in my main HD to do it. I need to know otherwise I'll have to stick with TDN working on the Series 2
With pyTivo I've successfully shared videos from a network drive mounted with afp, so I'd think it really shouldn't matter.
westside_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 09:56 PM   #89
bedelman
Call me Bob

Quote:
I'm going to try it. I actually had NOT updated to 10.5 because TivoDotNet only ran in 10.4. But as Bob said, the latest TivoHD update killed it.
That's odd because I had TDN running on at least three different machines all using Leopard -- but everything is now switched over to pyTiVoX now...

Old 12-21-2008, 08:00 AM   #90
raianoat
TiVoBlog.com

Quote:

I have all of my vids stored on a SMB NAS and it works great.