TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-29-2008, 04:23 PM   #241
ronsch

My series 1 is currently an hour fast and just called in two hours ago.....
Old 10-29-2008, 07:08 PM   #242
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsch View Post
My series 1 is currently an hour fast and just called in two hours ago.....
Please PM me with your TSN.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TiVoJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 10:40 PM   #243
gastrof
Look 32' in reverse

Location: We would like tin but for the golden glade. Do not take risks that you cannot return to the encapsulation. Margaret has not the stranding.
Don't any downloaded corrections wait until 2am to take effect?
Old 10-30-2008, 11:27 AM   #244
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

I honestly don't know if 2am applies in this situation. I am under the impression that the fix runs as soon as the call is done, but I'm not 100% sure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:23 PM   #245
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post
Don't any downloaded corrections wait until 2am to take effect?
Now I remember what you were referring to. Yes, the DVR will stay in a "loading" state until 2am or until a reboot (IIRC). I only have to think about this twice a year and the memory is a fadin'.....

Old 10-30-2008, 04:41 PM   #246
ronsch

Jerry,

I want to apologize. My Series 1 does have the correct time on the System Information page. It's Tivowebplus that is not handling the time correctly.
Old 10-30-2008, 04:54 PM   #247
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

Glad to hear the DVR is on time.

Old 11-10-2008, 12:17 AM   #248
bmeyer1968

Tivos missed on query

I've got 3 people I know (Mom, Dad and friend) who's Tivos did not catch the update this last time around. I personally put their SN's up on the Tivo site last fall and if I remember correctly everything went ok, and my series 1 is working ok (I just have to make the call each DST date). I see you mentioning that some serials may have gotten past the query, should I have them re-submit on the Tivo site next go around? Obviously this is not a big problem as everything is caught up on the old DST timeframe, but I was just looking ahead to the spring and the calls I will be getting about 'all my times are off again!' from Mom and Dad.

Thanks for any info you can give.
Bill
bmeyer1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 11:35 AM   #249
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

Bill, we don't have a signup page for receiving the DST fix. I'm thinking you have it confused with our software priority signup page, which hasn't been needed for the S1 platform since 2001.

If you can send me all 3 TSNs, I'll check to see that they're mapped. If they are, it's likely you'd have to Repeat Guided Setup to reset the DST flag to YES on each box.

Old 11-11-2008, 02:03 AM   #250
shototsu

ser 1 not making daily calls

My series one monthly sub hasn't completed a daily call since the time change. It was working fine up until then. Was out of town and didn't notice lack of program data until today. Tried:

1. reboot
2. unplug both phone line and electrical cord
3. re-run set-up
4. Run tivo equivalent of check disk
5. tried set-up again

Now calls are failing on the set up and I'm stuck in set up. Is this related to the time change?
shototsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 06:56 AM   #251
David_NC

Quote:
Now calls are failing on the set up and I'm stuck in set up. Is this related to the time change?
That sounds more like a modem problem. Are you able to make a successful test call? Any changes in the telephone service recently?
David_NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 09:52 AM   #252
shototsu

The first guided setup call works fine. After about 10 minutes of downloading during the second guided setup call I always get Call failed. Call Interrupted.

We don't have call waiting on the landline, so I know that's not it. Plus, I doubt we would have had a call every night at 3-4 am for the past 10 days.

I'm unplugging all phones and trying again this morning.

Alicia
Old 11-11-2008, 10:27 AM   #253
shototsu

I left it unplugged overnight, tried different numbers, it's still failing while downloading under the second guided set-up call.

Alicia
Old 11-11-2008, 12:26 PM   #254
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

I know it's a bit late for you, but Repeating Guided Setup while you're having a phone issue is never a wise decision.

I suggest you follow the troubleshooting links in our Phone Call Troubleshooting article.

Since it's connecting, you don't have to worry about the dialing format:
Has your phone service changed to a digital provider?
Are you using VOIP?
Do you have call waiting? If so, disable it by entering the prefix (usually *70,)
Bypass any splitters, try new phone cord, connect to a different phone jack
If using DSL, make sure you have a filter on the DVR's phone line. If you have more than 4 filters in the home, there is a cumulative dampening effect...disconnect other lines temporarily to test.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:39 PM   #255
shototsu

Thanks. No call waiting, no DSL, no change in service. Tivo just decided to stop downloading for 10 days out of the clear blue.

I wish I could describe how much I regret going into guided setup.

TiVo support has referred me to Phillips saying they've troubleshooted as much as they can. I'm probably going to pull the drive and start fresh. I'd love to upgrade, but I was going to hold out for a couple more years until I can afford HD.

If starting from fresh doesn't work I might have to give up the TiVo for a couple of years until I can afford to upgrade. I take it there's no other way to wipe the OS than pulling the drive?
Old 11-11-2008, 12:46 PM   #256
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

I don't see the point in pulling the drive as it's not the cause of your phone connection failure. A new drive will still need to finish GS to be usable.

The current TiVo call center agents are not trained on troubleshooting the S1 models, hence the referral to Philips. The troubleshooting steps are the same but the menus are different. Plus, the S1 modems are more fragile than current models.

Phone troubleshooting can be time consuming. Lots of patience is needed. Try turning off both detections and try to listen to the DVR pick up the line and dial out. If the volume drops considerably, or there is a lot of static when the DVR picks up, the modem is the issue.

If volume is fine and you hear the modem dial, and possibly even handshake (this doesn't always happen without another modem initiating the handshake), the problem is environmental. By this I mean anything that is connected to the phone line can be a problem, even outside of the home. You may wish to try taking the DVR to another location.

If you'll send me a PM with your TSN, I'll take a few moments to review your call history to see what I can spot.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:55 PM   #257
tevoisseur
Tivoisseur

You might also try a turbonet card. It would be cheaper than getting a tivo hd and would allow you to keep using your tivo. You can usually get one for around $50 on ebay.

But I would wait and see what Jerry finds out. However, this is just an alternative to not using your tivo for a few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shototsu View Post
Thanks. No call waiting, no DSL, no change in service. Tivo just decided to stop downloading for 10 days out of the clear blue.

I wish I could describe how much I regret going into guided setup.

TiVo support has referred me to Phillips saying they've troubleshooted as much as they can. I'm probably going to pull the drive and start fresh. I'd love to upgrade, but I was going to hold out for a couple more years until I can afford HD.

If starting from fresh doesn't work I might have to give up the TiVo for a couple of years until I can afford to upgrade. I take it there's no other way to wipe the OS than pulling the drive?

tevoisseur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 01:03 PM   #258
shototsu

I really appreciate everyone's help!

I'm thinking it's not the modem but maybe an OS issue? The reason why I'm thinking this is because the first call goes through fine. TiVo dials and downloads the list of numbers. Test calls complete after tweaking phone dialing options. It's not until program guide data comes into play that things go haywire.

My thought was to pull the drive and reinstall from scratch, not replace the drive. Useless?

I've tried unplugging the one landline phone I have and that didn't make a difference. I'll try another jack and see if that helps.

I'm also carrying on this thread over in TiVo Help under "Series 1 not downloading data" in the meantime. Sorry for hijacking the daylight savings thread!
Old 11-11-2008, 02:45 PM   #259
shototsu

Bought new phone cable and tried a different jack. Still no go.

Hubby pointed out that we can get a Series 2 refurb online for $80. Will probably go that route and xfer my existing monthly sub. I've been troubleshooting from 8pm - 2am last night and again from 10am - 2 pm today. I've got nothing left to try.

Thanks for the help, everyone!
Old 11-12-2008, 08:08 AM   #260
Mars

Shototsu,

I have trouble with one of my Series 1 TiVo's downloading at about the same point. Are you on a satellite dish line up (which gives me problems) or cable line up which works fine for me same TiVo.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:31 PM   #261
S Meade

Series 1 not downloading

I am having the same problem. Since 12/2, out of the blue my Series 1 stand alone will call start downloading and then Failed - Call interupted after 10 minutes. I actually have an external modem because my internal modem was fried by a summer electrical storm years ago. Test calls work just fine. I have changed the call in number 4 times (Minneapolis 612 area code). Every time - dial tone, dailing heard, connection heard, verifies account, set clock, downloading then after 10 minutes Failed Call interupted. There are enough people this is happening to that it is not my machine. It is how the series 1 is accepting the download info. I have another Tivo (different Series) in the household that has not had a problem with the same dial in number.
S Meade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 01:08 AM   #262
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

I had trouble downloading recently and followed the phone troubleshooting tips -- there's one that says if you have low volume on the line, turn one of the settings (the one to detect whether or not the phone is in use?) to OFF.

I did that, then forced the daily call, and things worked again.

Jan
Old 12-19-2008, 09:21 PM   #263
trobie

Arrow Sony SVR2000 having same issue

My Sony SVR2000 using Bellsouth direct phone line will dial, but never connects. I get the "Service Not Available" message. I'm now stuck in Guided Set-up. Trying the prefix workaround but that does not seem to be working either. HELP!
trobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 02:00 AM   #264
ciper

trobie There are four or five threads that focus on the S1 not being able to download data right now. You are not alone.
ciper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 08:10 AM   #265
aavillusfo

Anyone here noticed the problem with the times not matching on some channels? Most of the channels work fine but the Discovery channel seem to be off by 2 hours ..weird

aavillusfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 05:55 PM   #266
cpicard71

Series 1 philips not downloading

Funny I am experiencing the same issue. I tried to troubleshoot the modem, and decided to try a guided setup, not knowing you can't back out of it. I'm stuck at the first setup call. I run on a cable modem phone, through cable not over internet.. I had them come out and check everything, my cable modem got fried a bit too, so I am ordering a modem kit. Now I wonder since other people recently are having this issue, is Tivo trying to force us to lose our subscriptions(lifetime)? Philips is no longer servicing our units, and Tivo doesn't tell you that. You can't upgrade w/o losing your subscription. I'll be doing the same thing if this kit doesn't work. Putting the Tivo aside until they get smart enough to let us buy a new unit and transfer service. I will be annoyed if it is them.. I wonder if they sent us some bogus software glitch. I can't wait to see what gets posted- I am in FL, and I tried several #s too
cpicard71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 01:34 AM   #267
Monty

My Sony SVR2000 has failed to update also....

S1's have appeared to recieved a bad down load some time after Thanksgiving.

Monty

(looks like my sig is D.E.A.D also.....)
Old 12-23-2008, 01:17 PM   #268
ronsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpicard71 View Post
Funny I am experiencing the same issue. I tried to troubleshoot the modem, and decided to try a guided setup, not knowing you can't back out of it. I'm stuck at the first setup call. I run on a cable modem phone, through cable not over internet.. I had them come out and check everything, my cable modem got fried a bit too, so I am ordering a modem kit. Now I wonder since other people recently are having this issue, is Tivo trying to force us to lose our subscriptions(lifetime)? Philips is no longer servicing our units, and Tivo doesn't tell you that. You can't upgrade w/o losing your subscription. I'll be doing the same thing if this kit doesn't work. Putting the Tivo aside until they get smart enough to let us buy a new unit and transfer service. I will be annoyed if it is them.. I wonder if they sent us some bogus software glitch. I can't wait to see what gets posted- I am in FL, and I tried several #s too
My Series 1 Phillips with lifetime is downloading data just fine over a broadband connection. The Beta being referred to is for the failure to record suggestions on these units, not for downloading program information.
Old 12-24-2008, 04:57 PM   #269
stevesk

If your Tivo S1 has this problem, Turbonet may not help..

We have two Philips Tivo S1's (both purchased when Tivo first released them), both with lifetime subs.

One is fine, the other began getting the "call interrupted" problem about a month ago. We do not have call waiting. Test calls and setting clock went through fine, but after about 10 minutes of "downloading.." the calls errored out. I changed dial in numbers, etc, and found that if I forced an update roughly 10 times in a row, the call would eventually complete successfully.

I thought it must be a phone line problem (although we haven't done anything to our phones in years), so I bought a Turbonet card for the unit. Installed it two weeks ago. Over ethernet, I'm having exactly the same problem -- test calls work, but after a few minutes of "downloading" during a forced or nightly update, I get the "call interrupted" message and the update fails.

I haven't had time to call Tivo yet, but based on what I'm hearing from others, wonder if it's worth the effort. Sounds like Tivo support doesn't handle the old Philips S1's anymore. Has anyone found a fix? Seems a shame to dump our Tivo and lose the lifetime subscription when I don't think the problem is related to hardware..
stevesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 08:13 AM   #270
aapokel

I have a Tivo S1 with CacheCard (and network interface) & 120GB HD and I've successfully applied the manual DST time patch and everything is working well.

Just a question here though, can anyone confirm that the Tivo patch WILL NOT break anything with CacheCard? Some told me it will, while some others told me "don worry"...

aapokel is offline   Reply With Quote