TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-10-2008, 01:46 AM   #1
Yoav

pyTivoX

pyTivoX is an Apple Mac OSX application that lets you view movies that are stored on your computer via your Tivo.

It provides both pyTivo and streambaby, and all necessary support applications/libraries.

You can read more about it and download it at http://pytivox.googlecode.com/

It has a very simple user interface, and 'just works'.

And yes, it's entirely free. No registration required. Source code available on the same web page.

Last edited by Yoav : 02-27-2009 at 12:47 AM.
Yoav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 02:00 AM   #2
Rdian06

Looks cool. Will have to try it later.

BTW, did you compile the included ffmpeg Universal Binary yourself or grab it from somewhere?

Works on Windows, Mac and Linux.
Rdian06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 02:06 AM   #3
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdian06 View Post
Looks cool. Will have to try it later.

BTW, did you compile the included ffmpeg Universal Binary yourself or grab it from somewhere?
Compiled it myself (so if it's missing something, or is totally borked.. tell me .
Old 12-10-2008, 07:49 AM   #4
fatespawn

The "+" and "-" signs are not rendering (I can only "assume" they are + and- since I can't see them)
fatespawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:24 AM   #5
westside_guy
Annoyingly ephemeral

This is very nice. I've certainly been able to get pyTivo and its dependencies going in the past, but it's always nice to not HAVE to do it. Sorta like why I run OS X and not Linux on my desktop nowadays...

Thanks for putting this together!

Edit: It may be having trouble with m4v files - h.264 with AC3. I'll try it with a couple different files to make sure it's not just the file.

Last edited by westside_guy : 12-10-2008 at 11:48 AM.
westside_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:32 AM   #6
raianoat
TiVoBlog.com

Thanks for creating this! I recently published a guide on how to install pyTiVo on OS X however, this app looks like it's dead simple. I plan on mentioning it on my blog later today...
raianoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:48 AM   #7
westside_guy
Annoyingly ephemeral

Yeah, pyTivoX seems to be choking on an m4v file (mentioned above) that gives no trouble to krkeegan's pyTivo using ffmpeg from fink.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:59 AM   #8
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by westside_guy View Post
Yeah, pyTivoX seems to be choking on an m4v file (mentioned above) that gives no trouble to krkeegan's pyTivo using ffmpeg from fink.
Ok I'll check that there's a valid decoder for m4v files in ffmpeg. Thanks for the pointer....
Old 12-10-2008, 12:00 PM   #9
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatespawn View Post
The "+" and "-" signs are not rendering (I can only "assume" they are + and- since I can't see them)
Hmm.. are you on 10.4? The images might only be available on 10.5
(I should really create my own icons.. eh I suck at graphics...
I'll get to fixing that ...
Old 12-10-2008, 01:03 PM   #10
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by westside_guy View Post
Ok uploading a new build shortly, with new icons and a new build of ffmpeg with mp3lame, libx264, libfaad, and libfaac. If it's still crapping out, can I get you to put up a copy of a non-working m4v file for me to play with?

Thanks
Old 12-10-2008, 01:56 PM   #11
Yoav

Ok, sorry took a little longer to build than I expected.. but it's up now
Old 12-10-2008, 02:06 PM   #12
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Which branch/date of pyTivo are you using?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 02:08 PM   #13
westside_guy
Annoyingly ephemeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoav View Post
Ok uploading a new build shortly, with new icons and a new build of ffmpeg with mp3lame, libx264, libfaad, and libfaac. If it's still crapping out, can I get you to put up a copy of a non-working m4v file for me to play with?
I won't be able to try it out until this evening - but if the new build doesn't work, I'll try to get an example m4v file (smaller than the problematic DVD rip m4v, though - maybe I'll rip one of the "extras" off the same disk).

Thanks for your work on this!
Old 12-10-2008, 02:20 PM   #14
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
Which branch/date of pyTivo are you using?
I grabbed the wgw fork via git two days ago... I had to make a one-line change to allow it to use a config file from the Application Support dir instead of the current dir or /etc/...

(I'm guessing you're the maintainer of the wmcbrine fork?.. I picked wgw since it had some newer committed changes so I figured it was 'more recent'... I really have no clue what the differences are... should I switch codebase?).
Old 12-10-2008, 04:39 PM   #15
fatespawn

Nice BIG icons, but I can't seem to get the server to run on 10.4. Nothing shows up in The Now Playing List. One gotcha is the "restart" button doesn't work. I entered my "shared folder" but had to manually restart. Would that affect things?
Old 12-10-2008, 06:28 PM   #16
pkscout

This is really nice. The one thing I found hard about pyTiVo was getting it to start automatically on OSX. I kludged something together, but I like this better. Two things:

1- It doesn't appear the web admin interface is active. I really like being able to make quick changes without remoting into my media computer.
2- It would be nice to have an option to either use the built in ffmpeg or point to a different one (like the one I painstakingly built from scratch via the instructions for pyTiVo).
pkscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 07:15 PM   #17
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkscout View Post
This is really nice. The one thing I found hard about pyTiVo was getting it to start automatically on OSX. I kludged something together, but I like this better. Two things:

1- It doesn't appear the web admin interface is active. I really like being able to make quick changes without remoting into my media computer.
2- It would be nice to have an option to either use the built in ffmpeg or point to a different one (like the one I painstakingly built from scratch via the instructions for pyTiVo).
Short Version: I don't plan on making this a 'power-user' type tool.. The idea is to make life easy for people who aren't very computer-savvy by just having everything there.
If you *really* want your self-built ffmpeg, you can copy it into

/Applications/pyTivoX/Contents/Resources/

However, keep your original around since that will get over-written every time the program is updated.

As for having it auto-restart, I'm planning on adding an option to do just that (and hide the dock icon and use a menulet to control it) -- in an upcoming version.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:19 PM   #18
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkscout View Post

Oh I didn't answer the web-interface thing.
The problem with the web interface is that it will try to write to the incorrect config file. I was originally going to use it but it also looked very un-mac like (and had a lot of advanced options that I wanted to keep hidden).

At least for now, if you simple 'run' the program, but don't ever hit the 'restart' button, it will not overwrite the config file in ~/Library/Application Support/pyTivoX/pyTivo.conf

So you can manually go there, and edit it (including starting the web interface). And use PyTivoX to simply start and quit the program... but yeah, I think it sounds like you're competent enough to simply run the tools by yourself anyways ...
Old 12-10-2008, 07:21 PM   #19
Yoav

Quote:
Nice BIG icons, but I can't seem to get the server to run on 10.4. Nothing shows up in The Now Playing List. One gotcha is the "restart" button doesn't work. I entered my "shared folder" but had to manually restart. Would that affect things?
I *suspect* the restart button worked. It doesn't restart pyTivoX.. it restarts the underlying server code (pytivo) with the new settings -- you don't see anything happen when you click it...

first thing: check if there's a Python process for pytivo running:

in a terminal.app, type:
Code:
ps auxwwww | grep Python
and tell me what it says (when pyTivoX is running).
Old 12-10-2008, 08:10 PM   #20
raianoat
TiVoBlog.com

I can't seem to get pyTiVox to work for me. I noticed that my config file is getting blown away whenever I restart it via the "restart" button. Here's a couple of lines taken out of the console. The errors seem to occur whenever I click on the restart button.

12/10/08 8:08:12 PM pyTivoX[99318] Writing Config File /Users/raianoat/Library/Application Support/pyTivoX/pyTivo.conf

12/10/08 8:08:12 PM pyTivoX[99318] result 0

12/10/08 8:08:12 PM pyTivoX[99318] *** -[NSCFNumber UTF8String]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x117360
12/10/08 8:08:12 PM pyTivoX[99318] *** -[NSCFNumber UTF8String]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x117360
Old 12-10-2008, 08:19 PM   #21
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by raianoat View Post
I can't seem to get pyTiVox to work for me. I noticed that my config file is getting blown away whenever I restart it via the "restart" button. Here's a couple of lines taken out of the console. The errors seem to occur whenever I click on the restart button.

12/10/08 8:08:12 PM pyTivoX[99318] Writing Config File /Users/raianoat/Library/Application Support/pyTivoX/pyTivo.conf

12/10/08 8:08:12 PM pyTivoX[99318] result 0

The blowing away of the config file on restart is normal (restart kills the python process, writes the new configuration settings based on what you have in the gui, and starts the python process again).

The attempt to extract a string from a number is not normal.. And I think I see what happened. (the choice of video/music/photo is being marked as 0,1,2 instead of the string.. fixing).
Old 12-10-2008, 08:33 PM   #22
raianoat
TiVoBlog.com

Thanks....
Somehow I got around that problem. Now I'm having an issue where it's not transferring the video to my TiVo. I tried to transfer a number of different videos however, each of them are "black" when I go to play them. Let me know if you need me to send you a log file.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:58 PM   #23
fatespawn

Quote:
I *suspect* the restart button worked. It doesn't restart pyTivoX.. it restarts the underlying server code (pytivo) with the new settings -- you don't see anything happen when you click it...

first thing: check if there's a Python process for pytivo running:

in a terminal.app, type:
Code:
ps auxwwww | grep Python
and tell me what it says (when pyTivoX is running).
OK,

This is what I get when I cut and paste into Terminal

11451 0.0 0.0 18052 240 p1 R+ 7:55PM 0:00.00 grep Python

So, looks like the server is working.... right?

I understand what you are describing. I loaded pytivox onto my wife's computer (Intel/10.5.x) with complete success. However, my 10.4 G5 still doesn't work.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:28 PM   #24
Yoav

Quote:
The blowing away of the config file on restart is normal (restart kills the python process, writes the new configuration settings based on what you have in the gui, and starts the python process again).

The attempt to extract a string from a number is not normal.. And I think I see what happened. (the choice of video/music/photo is being marked as 0,1,2 instead of the string.. fixing).
0.4 should have it fixed..: 'check for updates...'
Old 12-10-2008, 09:31 PM   #25
Yoav

Quote:
OK,

I understand what you are describing. I loaded pytivox onto my wife's computer (Intel/10.5.x) with complete success. However, my 10.4 G5 still doesn't work.
Hmm.. I just realized.. I think 10.4 ships with an older version of python for which pyTivo doesn't work 'out of the box'...

run

python -V

and tell me what number it spits out. Since I don't plan on including a full python distribution in the bundle, if the default python on Tiger is too old, it looks like I'm gonna have to make this a 10.5-only project
Old 12-10-2008, 09:32 PM   #26
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by raianoat View Post
Thanks....
Somehow I got around that problem. Now I'm having an issue where it's not transferring the video to my TiVo. I tried to transfer a number of different videos however, each of them are "black" when I go to play them. Let me know if you need me to send you a log file.
A log file would help, as would a sample of one of your sources (or at least a description of what kind of file it is). I'm guessing ffmpeg is not converting the file correctly to an mpeg-2 for you, but that's a total guess..

Are you using 0.4?
Old 12-10-2008, 09:33 PM   #27
Yoav

Quote:
OK,

Oh.. also, no it doesn't look like the server is working.. that's the 'grep' process.. not the python process.. If you found a python process it would look something like
Code:
yoav     14331   0.0  0.4    99808  18356   ??  Ss    6:28PM   0:01.22 /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/Resources/Python.app/Contents/MacOS/Python /Applications/pyTivoX.app/Contents/Resources/pyTivo-wgw/pyTivo.py

Old 12-10-2008, 09:44 PM   #28
fatespawn

Quote:
Hmm.. I just realized.. I think 10.4 ships with an older version of python for which pyTivo doesn't work 'out of the box'...

run

python -V
Python 2.3.5
Old 12-10-2008, 09:48 PM   #29
raianoat
TiVoBlog.com

Quote:
A log file would help, as would a sample of one of your sources (or at least a description of what kind of file it is). I'm guessing ffmpeg is not converting the file correctly to an mpeg-2 for you, but that's a total guess..

Are you using 0.4?
No, I'll try out .4 and let you know what I see.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:57 PM   #30
westside_guy
Annoyingly ephemeral

0.4 fixed the m4v problem I reported earlier - thanks!

I did find another issue though. In cases where a Mac has VMware or Parallels installed, pyTivo in general doesn't correctly guess the right network interface to use much of the time. Other pyTivo implementations work around this by allowing the user to manually identify the correct subnet to use via a "beacon" directive in pyTivo.conf - but pyTivoX does not currently incorporate this feature. So to get pyTivo to use the correct subnet on my computer, I had to manually shut down VMware Fusion's background processes like this:

Code:
sudo /Library/Application\ Support/VMware\ Fusion/boot.sh --stop
Otherwise, my Tivo HD would not see the pyTivoX shares.

This does work, but it's not an optimal solution.