TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-30-2008, 01:39 PM   #181
smedley12

ugh - help!

Hoping someone can help me as I couldn't find the answer to my Q in the FAQ list...

I just upgraded to TiVo HD and my multi-stream cable card doesn't appear to be properly linked with my account. (The cable guy left as the screen that was supposedly linking up all of the cable channels was up... I was stupid and believed him when he said once it cycled through everything would be cool, and let him leave.) Now I've been on the phone with Comcast at least four different times and they can't figure out what's wrong. They have another tech coming next weekend but thought I'd try posting here.

My cable is coming in properly - I can see all the channels I'm supposed to get through the HD cable box (which I got bc I still want to be able to get on demand).

My TiVo box is working - if I remove the splitter, I can get basic cable channels but not any of the other HD channels or the HBO, etc. I should be getting.

What do I need to do to get my cable card talking to my account properly? AND, is there any way to do it online without calling Comcast again? I am going to tear my hair out if I have to talk to a clueless phone tech again.
smedley12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 02:41 PM   #182
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by smedley12 View Post
What do I need to do to get my cable card talking to my account properly? AND, is there any way to do it online without calling Comcast again? I am going to tear my hair out if I have to talk to a clueless phone tech again.
Your LIFE is in the Hands of Comcast.

As long as your CableCard is in the correct TiVo Slot.
That is all you can do on your end.

After that there is nothing you can do EXCEPT read the Comcast
Tech on the phone the correct PAIRING info. No one needs
to come out. You just need to reach a Comcast ATS [Advance
Tech Support] technician who can KEY IN the right pairing
info. The problem is convincing the 1st line tech support
person that you need to talk to someone else.
drhankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 03:43 PM   #183
jon96cobra

I have Cox cable and I have 2 S cards in my Series 3 When the cable company runs updates to add more channels do I need to do anything to the cards or to the tivo to start viewing the stations. About a month or 2 ago my tivo notice a cable line up of my discovery tier picking up the HD version of there stations but when I go to the stations they are black but have the guide information. I'm about to call my Cox Cable and mention I'm not getting the stations but I want to make sure its not something I can handle myself with a simple reboot of the tivo or to the Cable cards.
Series 3 with External 500gb
HL-S6187W Samsung DLP
jon96cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 09:15 PM   #184
a68oliver

There is nothing for you to do when it all works as designed. I have had a couple of channel upgrades with Comcast and had to do nothing. Sometimes it can take up to 24 hours for both the channel map and the guide to get in sync with each other.

However, when it doesn't work as designed..... Perhaps Cox has not authorized the new channels in your package. If a reboot doesn't fix it, at the least, I would call them, explain your problem and ask them to "hit" your cards again. If that doesn't work, then your account is probably misconfigured on their end. Good luck getting them to sort that out.
Tivo HD November 2007
a68oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 06:22 PM   #185
ericbro

Not getting all my channels - help please

I have a new TiVo HD. Comcast (Nashville) allowed me to pick up my M-card and I installed it following the directions. I now have access to only the very basic channels (I think they call it "limited") - basically local channels only. None of the other basic channels like ESPN, CNN, etc. Those screens are black. My channel guide lists ALL of the channels.

Just had a technician come out. His dispatcher that was the "supposed" cable card expert said that M-cards worked only intermittently on Tivo's. They might work for a while then drop channels. She insisted that we would need two S-cards (for which she would charge me $6.95). And, of course, although I asked if he would have extra cards on the truck when I placed the service call, he didn't have any. So they scheduled a service call for the morning.

I think they're wrong, but I don't know what to do to get those missing channels. I've tried stepping through the troubleshooting steps at the beginning of this forum, but I'm not sure what's up.

I don't trust them, and don't want to wait. Suggestions?

Last edited by ericbro : 12-10-2008 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Updated below
ericbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 09:20 PM   #186
jon96cobra

Talked to Cox cable today they told me they have a fix for the problem of the channels I'm not able to get. The told me its a Cable card Tivo Adapter. It will be available in my area this Thursday. I can't wait to see what channels I will get back.
Series 3 with External 500gb
HL-S6187W Samsung DLP
jon96cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 09:57 PM   #187
ericbro

Here's an update. Contacted TiVo tech support - he was great. Walked me through checking out the card. Determined that Comcast hadn't activated the card. (I don't know what, if anything, they did when I had called before. I probably didn't ask the right questions.) I called Comcast and had them activate the card and pair it to the slot - a couple of times. Still no change. TiVo's next guess was a bad card. I've got a service call schedule for the morning. I'll update again.

Last edited by ericbro : 12-10-2008 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Updated below
Old 12-09-2008, 10:05 PM   #188
crazi4tv

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbro View Post
I have a new TiVo HD. Comcast (Nashville) allowed me to pick up my M-card and I installed it following the directions. I now have access to only the very basic channels (I think they call it "limited") - basically local channels only. None of the other basic channels like ESPN, CNN, etc. Those screens are black. My channel guide lists ALL of the channels.

Just had a technician come out. His dispatcher that was the "supposed" cable card expert said that M-cards worked only intermittently on Tivo's. They might work for a while then drop channels. She insisted that we would need two S-cards (for which she would charge me $6.95). And, of course, although I asked if he would have extra cards on the truck when I placed the service call, he didn't have any. So they scheduled a service call for the morning.

I think they're wrong, but I don't know what to do to get those missing channels. I've tried stepping through the troubleshooting steps at the beginning of this forum, but I'm not sure what's up.

If M-Cards are installed, paired and "initialized" properly they will work just fine. They will only drop channels if the pairing information changes, your cable package changes, or if the card(s) need to be re-authorized. Is you card Motorola or Scientific Atlantic?
Old 12-10-2008, 05:25 AM   #189
jman

Not Recieving all channels

I have a tivo series 3 HD. I have a M card. I do not recieve all HD channels. I am told that this is due to the way the cable company scrambles the channels. I forget the terminology. I have Cablevision. As I understand it all the other cable companies have an add on box or fixed the cable cards to watch all paid for channels. When is cablevision going to fix this? Are they just trying to bust tivo so you have to buy their own dvr?
jman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 06:34 AM   #190
ericbro

My M-card is a Motorola.

Comcast tried again to activate and pair the card, but it didn't take. The next TiVo tech support person wasn't quite as good. Whereas the first one said they'd get on a 3-way call with Comcast, this one said that "sometimes she can't connect" when trying to call the customer back. Why she had to hang up to call me back to establish the 3-way call is beyond me. I think she just didn't want to do it.

Comcast is due here in an hour or so. More to come.....
Old 12-10-2008, 07:45 AM   #191
wkearney99
Bill Kearney

Quote:
Why she had to hang up to call me back to establish the 3-way call is beyond me. I think she just didn't want to do it.
Not all phone systems are configured to allow establishing those kinds of calls. It could just be a human nature issue where she just didn't want to deal with the hassle, or didn't know how to use the phone system to do it. Regardless, the ineptitude on the part of the cable providers is legendary; Comcast more than others.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 08:09 AM   #192
ericbro

Actually, that was the TiVo person who didn't seem to want to do the 3-way call. The first TiVo person volunteered an offer to do so. The second one was obviously reluctant.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:58 AM   #193
ericbro

The Comcast technician just left. Just for giggles, we removed the M-Card and stuck it back in, and had Comcast re-activate it. It worked.

End of story. Hope this helps someone.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:05 AM   #194
drhankz

Quote:
The Comcast technician just left. Just for giggles, we removed the M-Card and stuck it back in, and had Comcast re-activate it. It worked.

End of story. Hope this helps someone.
I have seen that problem before also.

It seems the CARD won't ACCEPT the info from Comcast
unless a COLD REBOOT is done [aka Extract and Insert].

This is not always necessary - just some times. I have
5 DVR's with "M" cards. I only had to do it on 1 out 5.
I can't explain it.
drhankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 06:15 PM   #195
lrhorer

Quote:
Just had a technician come out. His dispatcher that was the "supposed" cable card expert said that M-cards worked only intermittently on Tivo's. They might work for a while then drop channels.
They are full of $#!&. M-cards work fine on TiVos. The only issue relate dto M-Cards is they will only work in simplex mode on the original Series 3, so if the user has an S3, they need two cards whether they are M-Cards or S-Cards. On the TiVo HD or HD XL they work just fine. I've had a TiVo HD for a year, now, with the same M-Card in it the entire time. I've never had any channels drop. In fact, unless you count a handful of shows which did not air when they were listed to air and a couple of power ouatges, I've never missed a single recording.

Quote:
Be very nice and patient, but firm and confidant sounding. Do not BS them, but don't allow them to push you around, either. Be adamant they be very specific in their statements, and make it obvious you are taking down a full set of notes, including names, dates, serial numbers, and times. Chances are good they will accommodate you to get things working. Make sure you know everything you need to know prior to interfacing with them, such as the fact there are tens of thousands of TiVo HD units in the field equipped with M-Cards and there have been no widespread reports of intermittent problems with M-Cards on the THD. Give them plenty of rope to hang themselves, if they so choose. In the event they do so choose and try to snow you again, turn nasty. I mean really nasty. Remind them pointedly that you have names, dates, and serial numbers. Point out very clearly that you know they are lying and exactly how you know. I would avoid foul language, but call them liars flat-out to theri faces if their behavior warrants it. Be sure to have the name and address of the local General Manager - and their e-mail and phone number if you actually can get them - and tell them in no uncertain terms the GM will be receiving an angry letter / e-mail / phone call from you with names, dates, serial numbers, and an accurate transcript of the events of the trouble call, including the specifics of any lies they told. If you still receive no satisfaction, then make the call. Don't let them off the hook.

Last edited by lrhorer : 12-10-2008 at 06:20 PM.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 06:33 PM   #196
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman View Post
I have a tivo series 3 HD. I have a M card. I do not recieve all HD channels. I am told that this is due to the way the cable company scrambles the channels. I forget the terminology. I have Cablevision. As I understand it all the other cable companies have an add on box or fixed the cable cards to watch all paid for channels. When is cablevision going to fix this? Are they just trying to bust tivo so you have to buy their own dvr?
It sounds like you mean Switched Digital Video. It has nothing to do with scrambling. It has to do with drastically increasing the number of available channels on the CATV system by implementing a switched protocol - SDV - rather than the very limited traditional method of broadcast delivery.

Assuming the issue is indeed deployment of SDV, the resolution for TiVos and possibly other future CableCard based unidirectional receivers (UDCPs) is called the Tuning Adapter. The two major SDV systems in the United States are made by Scientific Atlanta (Cisco) and Motorola. Both Cisco and Motorola have developed TAs for use with CableCard based UDCPs that have appropriately enabled USB ports, such as the S3 and THD TiVos. There are a handful of local franchises which have delivered TAs to their subscribers, but as of yet most have not. They are due to be delivered on a widespread basis to the general public within the next couple of months. Several MSOs have suggested they may be supplying them free of charge, but few have committed to this policy, yet. For more info, see the SDV FAQ in this conference.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 11:36 AM   #197
wizzle
HD Happiness

Great Info

Thanks for this post.

If anyone could share their experience w/ Tivo HD in the Raleigh/Durham area using TWC, that would be great.

More specifically...the use of CABLECARDS and HD content available with the basic cable lineup.

Last edited by wizzle : 12-15-2008 at 05:55 AM. Reason: needed more specifics.
wizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 07:05 PM   #198
mike32940

Single scard configuration

I'm getting screwed by Comcast for the additional outlet fee and the cable card fee in order to have a 2 scard configuration and would like to cut back on my cable bill. If I removed one scard would I be able to get all the channels on 1 tuner but only those I get in the clear on the second? Would Tivo handle this intelligently when schuling shows? This would work for me as I hardly ever get a conflict between 2 encrypted channels and I know I'm getting the major networks in HD in the clear as I can see them ok using the tuner on my TVs.

Is this feasible? Anyone got this sort of configuration?
mike32940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 07:22 PM   #199
Adam1115
20,000!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike32940 View Post
I'm getting screwed by Comcast for the additional outlet fee and the cable card fee in order to have a 2 scard configuration and would like to cut back on my cable bill. If I removed one scard would I be able to get all the channels on 1 tuner but only those I get in the clear on the second? Would Tivo handle this intelligently when schuling shows? This would work for me as I hardly ever get a conflict between 2 encrypted channels and I know I'm getting the major networks in HD in the clear as I can see them ok using the tuner on my TVs.

Is this feasible? Anyone got this sort of configuration?
No, It will simply record one show at a time and work otherwise exactly the same as it does now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Adam1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 10:33 AM   #200
Vern_l

Hope this helps someone know what to expect. Here is my experience with Comcast in Northwest Georgia, a Tivo HD XL, and an S3 getting outfitted with CableCARD's

Friday, Comcast Installer came out for the install, he had 4 Motorola M-cards.

Tivo HD XL was the first and got 1 M-card, info relayed to dispatch over the phone, and card seemed to be downloading a file. Thought the card may not be doing what it was supposed to and sent several additional "hits" to the card. Still thought it was not pulling in the channels, but about 30 minutes to an hour later I had all my channels and everything was working correctly.

The S3 had a similar experience, except it got 2 CableCARD's 30 minutes to and hour after install, CableCard 1 was working, but CableCard 2 was only getting unencrypted channels. The install tech was long gone by this time, but had a service call scheduled for Monday before he left. It was his first cablecard job, when he left I was only receiving unencrypted channels on all 3 cards. Two started working correctly about 30minutes after he left, and the last one never fixed itself.

I tried calling service on Saturday hoping someone there could fix it, they "hit" the card again, but no luck. I waited for the service call on Monday.

Monday, the service tech arrived, I showed him the problem with Cablecard 2 in the S3 using the channel test for that card. He asked me to show him the pairing info for that card, and then he was able to "initialize" the card using his handheld magic box, and it started working almost immediately.

Things I learned:

1) Initial activation of the Cablecards may take 30minutes to an hour to receive all the channels.

2) Install techs for Comcast are technically challenged.

3) Some of the Comcast service techs know what they are doing and were able to fix my cablecard problem using only their handheld computer.

4) An "Initialize" signal is different than a "hit" and could fix your cablecard issues if your channels are not working an hour after initial install.

Hope this helps, someone know what to expect.
Vern_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 01:26 PM   #201
Meklos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam1115 View Post
No, It will simply record one show at a time and work otherwise exactly the same as it does now.
Which makes absolutely no sense to me...

No cablecard, I can record:

1) Two analog channels
2) One clear QAM channel and one analog channel
3) Two clear QAM channels

One S card, I can record:

1) One analog channel
2) One digital channel

It's like it doesn't even know the 2nd tuner is there, even though it *could* record an analog channel there... or a clear QAM one.
Meklos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 01:44 PM   #202
Adam1115
20,000!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meklos View Post
Which makes absolutely no sense to me...

No cablecard, I can record:

1) Two analog channels
2) One clear QAM channel and one analog channel
3) Two clear QAM channels

One S card, I can record:

1) One analog channel
2) One digital channel

It's like it doesn't even know the 2nd tuner is there, even though it *could* record an analog channel there... or a clear QAM one.
You have it exactly correct.

It appears the design is a throwback to the DirecTiVo dual tuner design.

On the HR10-250, if you only had one satellite input you could only record one thing at a time even if one was OTA.

My guess was that the programming would've been too complicated for the TiVo to have to determine which channel is on what tuner and whether it is able to use it, and perhaps would've made the unit buggier...

Although the DT is somehow able to handles this...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Adam1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 07:00 PM   #203
langsbr

I feel lucky since my install went prety smooth. Installer came with 2 M cards and the first one he popped in and it did a firmware upgrade on its own right away. He gave the headend the card id and host id and she sent a command and said it was paired. We did the guide setup which took about 20 min and once it was done we weren't getting any of the premiums (HBO, SHO). He contacted the headend and we checked and the card said, "not staged". he told her that, she hit the card and bam, it said "ready". Started getting all the premiums and some of the HDs. Does anyone know what channels are on SDV in Columbia, SC? I don't know which channels I should or shouldn't get? Is it random depending on what is being requested, or will no sdv channels ever come in?
langsbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 03:02 PM   #204
matt@thehickmans
Hemo_jr

I installed three SA cards yesterday and have no apparent access to encrypted programming yet. I am getting a "CP Auth Received" in the CP menu but can't find any reference to "Powerkey Status" anywhere.

Where can I find the "Powerkey Status" info? Or is it no longer used in the current firmware?

Thanks
matt@thehickmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 07:35 AM   #205
wizzle
HD Happiness

M-Card Install

My experience w/ Time Warner installing an M-card in Tivo HD.

Call to set the appt. for the install and the tech assured me that the person they send out knows a lot about cablecard installs.

The guy arrived and had never done a cablecard install on a Tivo.

That said, he had done a couple before into TVs. The install went fine. He called in the details and they guy on the other end was questioning why we were even installing a cablecard. He made the claim that it wasn't going to gain me anything.

Never-the-less, the card was ready in about 20 mins. The long wait was the Tivo learning all the new info and rebooting.

When the tech left...we hadn't even confirmed I received any HD content.

After searching this forum, I figured out the HD channels were not your typical 2, 4, 6, etc... but rather up in the 200+ range.

This was easy to confirm by simply looking at the channel lineup for this area where they list all of the HD channels.

All works great. The techs still don't have much an understanding of it all.

I'm also on the list for the SDV card, but thus far I get all of the HD channels I am paying for.
wizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 10:06 AM   #206
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzle View Post
My experience w/ Time Warner installing an M-card in Tivo HD.

He called in the details and they guy on the other end was questioning why we were even installing a cablecard. He made the claim that it wasn't going to gain me anything.
Thanks very much for the details.

It's just unbelievable to me that after more than four years some employees of major cableco's still have no clue when it comes to cable cards. Amazing.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 04:56 PM   #207
Mchero
Almost old member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Thanks very much for the details.

It's just unbelievable to me that after more than four years some employees of major cableco's still have no clue when it comes to cable cards. Amazing.
They had to roll a truck when the HD units came out, not any more, they will simply hand over an HD box to you BUT after 3 years they still have to roll a truck for a CC install.

I picked up my 2nd HD Tivo, called Comcast and was told I would have to wait 2 weeks for the install. Sure I can take a day off w/o any problems....NOT

2 HD Tivo's with Comcast cable cards.
Sony Wega 50" LCD
Mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:15 PM   #208
Lorcane

Is it important for your cable cards to have received the channel list? Mine are sort of working; however, I've never received the channel list from TWC.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:04 AM   #209
cableguy763

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorcane View Post
Is it important for your cable cards to have received the channel list? Mine are sort of working; however, I've never received the channel list from TWC.
What do you mean by channel list? Are you talking about the list in guided setup? If your cable cards are hooked up to rf they are getting a channel map and sending that to the tivo.
cableguy763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:14 AM   #210
alose

Just to let people know that the setup can be simple:
Comcast Cape Coral FL:
Last week on Tuesday call up Comcast and change Full Basic to bottom tier Digital. Guy puts me on hold I get another agent. Place order again and request cable card. I specifically requested an M-Card. The agent was a bit confused but accepted that it was a specific type of Cable card and noted it in the order. The Card was "Free" but there was a mandatory $39.99 install fee. The agent scheduled a tech to come out Saturday Morning.

The calls up about 8:30 to say he would be over in about 10 minutes. He shows up, copies down some info from the cable card, inserts card and goes to the pair info screen. He calls in, gets the the service activated, and screen blips and then everything is working. All told, took maybe 10-15 minutes.

I did have everything configured on the tivo but the cable card and had it sitting at the right screen for the tech. Still the tech was a little surprised everything went so smoothly.
alose is offline   Reply With Quote