TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-30-2008, 10:08 AM   #1
ggieseke

Want to fix TiVo Desktop codec issues?

I was playing around with regmon and discovered some registry settings that let you set preferred codecs for .tivo files without tweaking your overall DirectShow filter settings. I am attaching a little app that I threw together to make it easier to manage them. I GUARANTEE NOTHING, SO USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

The only thing it changes are registry settings under the "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\TiVo\DirectShow\PreferredFilters " key, which doesn't normally exist anyway. You can try out different combos of demuxers, audio and video codecs to see what works best for you. To set things back to normal just change them back to "(none)" or delete the entire registry key.

Hope it helps somebody besides me!

This version is now obsolete - see post #12 in this thread for the latest.
Attached Files
File Type: zip TDCM.ZIP (37.1 KB, 560 views)

Last edited by ggieseke : 11-19-2008 at 09:19 AM.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 05:56 AM   #2
ggieseke

Fixed a bug that could cause the error message "TiVo Desktop registry entries not found" on some installations of Desktop 2.6.1 - the new version is attached.

This version is now obsolete - see post #12 in this thread for the latest.
Attached Files
File Type: zip TDCM.ZIP (37.1 KB, 252 views)

Last edited by ggieseke : 11-19-2008 at 09:19 AM.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:59 PM   #3
Dan203
Super Moderator

This is a really awesome program! However it could use a bit of a UI improvement. If you're willing to share the code I can wrap it up in a more newbe friendly UI.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 03:37 AM   #4
ggieseke

I started a complete rewrite last week (see my PM) to add some diagnostics and the ability to display/test the current DirectShow filter graph.

Comments, suggestions, feature requests etc. from anyone out there will be welcomed with open arms!
Old 10-21-2008, 10:18 AM   #5
CuriousMark
Forum Denizen

Some of the more common codec complaints (symptoms) I have seen posted are:
  1. Video and audio won't play, WMP gives no error message
  2. Video and audio won't play, WMP notes a codec needs to be downloaded but does little more.
  3. Video won't play, audio plays, WMP acts like it is playing music and not video
  4. Video plays, audio won't play with a digital or HD sourced TiVo file.
  5. Video plays with wrong aspect ratio, usually too tall and thin. Turning off the WMP video mixing renderer setting is a workaround
  6. Video plays, but the timeline bar ends early and it is not possible to navigate using the timeline bar past the point in the video at which it ends
  7. Other codec using programs don't work correctly, renaming the directory containing the TiVo Desktop codecs as a workaround returns those other programs to normal operation.
I am sure I am missing a few symptoms, but will add to the list as I see them either here or at the TiVo Help Forum. I think your program might help with many of these.

[Edit]These are suggestions of what you may want to think about as you work on the diagnostics part of your new program. Thanks for the effort, this doesn't sound easy.

Last edited by CuriousMark : 10-22-2008 at 10:24 AM. Reason: clarify reason for post
CuriousMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 08:28 PM   #6
Dan203
Super Moderator

These registry settings make it unnecessary to mess with the actual merit of any of the filters installed on the machine.

The way it works is the TiVo DirectShow filter will automatically add these three filters to graph as soon as it's added. Then when Windows renders the the output pin of the TiVo filter it will automatically use any filters that are already in the graph which are compatible with the stream before bringing in any other filters. So as long as the filters you choose are compatible with the file you're playing it wont even look at the other filters on the machine, and as such wont have a reason to check their merits.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 10:54 PM   #7
rickws3

Thanks for sharing this utility!

Thank you for posting this utility! I was having trouble getting my tivo shows to play back properly in both WMP and Media Center. I created my own trouble by experimenting with Blu-ray software players, and of course screwed up the decoder priorities. No amount of playing with merit settings was successful in my case until I tried your utility. Now I have flawless playback once again for my tivo recordings!

It might be a good idea for people to share the decoders that they're using successfully. In my case I'm currently using nvidia audio & video decoders with the Main Concept demux. That combo works fine for both std def and HD playback (without the zoom & other issues I was encountering using the Microsoft provided decoders in Vista Home Premium).

I may play with Cyberlink decoders provided from PowerDVD Ultra at some point, but I don't want to mess with something that's now working for the first time in a long while.

Again thanks! And for those of you experiencing any of the problems documented in this thread, give this utility a try and post your results.
rickws3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 03:13 PM   #8
tptshoe

Thanks for the program!!

Thank you so much for posting this program! I've been trying for several days to get tivo files to play on my PC and this finally did the trick. Here are the codecs that worked for me:

Audio: AC3Filter
MpegDemuxer: MainConcept MPEG Splitter
Video: MainConcept MPEG Video Decoder
tptshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 09:10 PM   #9
femakid

Oh wow oh wow oh wow

Thank you so much for this. For the past several months I've been unable to get ANY audio from my TiVO transferred files. I don't transfer enough items to care that much, and just shrugged it off. Your app/reghack/whatever fixed my problem

Minor special thanks to tptshoe for mentioning he used AC3Filter for audio. When I ran this app I only had Nero's audio as an option, and that wasn't working. A quick google for the AC3 filter and I had audio.

Much Much Much thanks for this solution
femakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 11:48 PM   #10
MikeRadio

Thanks as well

After a reinstal I am happy to have MainConcept back.. It keeps everything in sync while some other codecs get the audio and video out of sync....

Any advantgae of AC3 or DV Filter over MainConcept for audio??

Mike
MikeRadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 02:25 PM   #11
vincev

I only need to change the audio codec to a pinnacle codec. The AC3 filter did not work for me. Thanks for the utility. A note about the download, if you have CA security center it changes the .zip file to another type.

Vince
vincev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 08:38 AM   #12
ggieseke

Here's the latest version y'all. I improved the algorithm used to find compatible codecs and rewrote the user interface from scratch. The Preferred Filters are all listed in a single dialog, and now you can open a .TiVo file to see the actual filter graph that DirectShow picks and test playback from within the program. I also added a crude help file to provide some basic documentation.

Special thanks to Dan203 and CuriousMark who were kind enough to test some of my alpha versions and offer valuable input. The .ZIP file now contains 4 files instead of a single .exe, but just extract them to any directory that you prefer and run it from there.

Let me know if you have any problems with it.

Greg
Attached Files
File Type: zip TDCM.ZIP (81.8 KB, 3971 views)
Old 11-28-2008, 01:28 PM   #13
Southcross

OMG AWESOME! I've been ripping my hair out for like the last month trying to fix playback/codec issues with my TiVo files. This fixed them in 60 seconds
Southcross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 08:36 PM   #14
capozzoli47

Thanks for the program - I ran it and it worked :>) !! Nice piece of work.
capozzoli47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 08:21 PM   #15
redbelair

I am missing something

Ran the new version.

Then went to the actual recording, double clicked and got the 'Online Store' message just after 'acquiring codec'...store response was 'This feature is not available form either the currently selected or default online store".

When doing the rendering directly from the TiVoDesktopCodecMgr.exe, selecting the copied file I want to play, the error 0x00000001 (1) appears with I: GraphBuilder::RenderFile. Ends up showing Flowchart that ends abruptly without output in the box Main Concept MPeg Demultiplexor.

This is just not supposed to be this difficult.

I appreciate any assistance.
Bob
redbelair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 08:10 AM   #16
ggieseke

I'm just guessing here based on the 'Online Store' message, but it sounds like you have Desktop Plus and something failed when you entered the Plus activation key. When you first enter your Plus key it goes out to Digital River's site to validate the key and sets up some registry stuff. If something messed up that process it's possible that the codec would appear to be installed but not fully authorized. The same could be true if you're using a different set of codecs that you bought online.

Error 1 in the GraphBuilder::RenderFile call isn't something that I have seen before. It equates to ERROR_INVALID_FUNCTION, which is pretty generic. Since the graph at least builds to the demuxer point I think that the codec returned the error, as opposed to the much worse possibility that DirectShow is corrupted.

If you do have Desktop Plus, try entering your authorization key again. If it's a different set of codecs try reinstalling them etc. If none of those suggestions work I would uninstall Desktop, download and run the 'Cleaner' utility from TiVo using the /all command-line option, then reinstall everything from scratch.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:10 AM   #17
redbelair

Codec problem

I am using TiVo Desktop Version 2.6.2.
I 'solved' the problem by downloading Divx Free Player and I can play/see the videos directly from the right-click 'Open with' option.
I would like to play it/them directly but this will do for the time being.
I will do the uninstall/reinstall option soon.
The software says that the media access key is entered. I did go to my account and re-enter it OK. Same issue.

I appreciate the help.
Joe
redbelair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 06:55 PM   #18
fairsider

Thumbs up Thanks!

I'm new to the Forum, and I'd just like to say "Thanks" to ggieseke for his excellent tool, TDCM. After spending some time to figure out how to choose one of the many codecs that were lurking on this new HP laptop, once I switched the filters over to the Microsoft MPEG-2 options, the WMP worked fine with the .tivo files. I had to fiddle a bit before getting the idea how to work with the software - the help files would not open in Vista - even with the MS download promised to fix the problem.

Thanks again for providing such an excellent resource!

Lyle
fairsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 08:28 PM   #19
fairsider

Not so fast...

Well, looks like I spoke too soon. For some reason, it's not working anymore, and not attempt at fiddling with TDCM seems to work anymore. It won't play the videos either. After reinstalling Tivo Desktop several times, and generally doing everything I can think of, I'm at a loss.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!!
Old 12-27-2008, 03:55 AM   #20
ggieseke

Can you post more detail on what codecs you have tried and exactly how and where it's failing?
Old 12-28-2008, 08:43 PM   #21
fairsider

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
Can you post more detail on what codecs you have tried and exactly how and where it's failing?
Hi again!

False alarm! My apologies. For some reason, our cable box (which doesn't deal well with voltage fluctuations) decided to shut itself off, and, without realizing what had happened, I was trying to watch "blank" videos, and thinking that it was on account of a codec problem.

Once I realized what the problem was, I was able to get things working again. Once again, your utility was very valuable in asigning the Microsoft codecs (which never seem to get selected by default) assigned.

Many thanks!

Lyle
Old 01-05-2009, 04:06 PM   #22
Free

I tried to run this software, but get a "Encountered Error and Had To Close" message.
Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 04:44 PM   #23
ggieseke

Whoof. I wrote it with as few dependencies as possible - it doesn't require MFC, Java, .Net or anything else beyond XP or Vista and DirectShow 9.0 or later.

I have seen it freak out and die with all kinds of weird errors when trying to use certain codecs, but I have never seen it refuse to run at all. If you got that error message when trying to open a .tivo file after selecting a particular codec I would take it as proof that the codec is incompatible, but if the main program won't run at all I'm at a loss for ideas.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:06 PM   #24
Free

Yep main program won't run at all. I will try re-downloading again when I get a chance.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:24 PM   #25
Free

OK, re-downloaded and still won't open without crashing, so I downloaded the older version and it opens fine.

Then tried Tivo desktop, and still won't play audio, so I guess I will just delete it. Boggles the mind that Tivo can create such excellent software for the DVR, and puts out this rinky dink program.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:52 AM   #26
ggieseke

The only part of Desktop that has anything to do with playback on your computer is TiVoDirectShowFilter.dll, which decrypts .TiVo files back into an MPEG-2 stream. Microsoft DirectShow does the rest.

Audio is usually the easy part. If you have a Series 3 or HD, try adding a codec called ac3filter to your computer to provide support for Dolby audio. Older TiVos just use MPEG-1 audio that should play on any computer.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:08 PM   #27
dwgsp

Can anyone suggest a specific audio codec that will play files from both S3 and S3 (TivoHD) machines? I have tried two that are suppose to support MPEG-1, MPEG-2, and Dobly audio, but neither seems to support files that I retrieved from my TivoHD (they play the S2 files fine).

The ones that I have tried include:

CyberLink Audio Decoder
Nero Digital Audio Decoder

It appears that the TivoHD files use AC3 audio. I downloaded and installed an AC3 codec, but it is not shown in TivoDesktopCodecMgr so I cannot try it.

Thanks!
/Don
dwgsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:22 AM   #28
CuriousMark
Forum Denizen

See post 8 above.
CuriousMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 07:09 PM   #29
hughbussell

Wow.

Worked great for me.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

My Vista setup would play only the audio of my saved TV shows (.tivo files). Now both audio and video plays.
hughbussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 12:06 AM   #30
snooddq

Another thank you for TDCM.ZIP. I too wrestled in vain for 6 months to figure out my video problems with .tivo files on my computer until I used your program.
snooddq is offline   Reply With Quote