Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-18-2008, 07:25 AM   #5821
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by micahmn View Post
Another call to their support department ended up with them comping a tech to come out here because "CableCARDs are unreliable and you need to try 3 or 4 different ones to get them to work."
LOL, HD Cablecards. Gotta love the 'support' from these folks. As you probably know by now, their training is what's unreliable, not the cards.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 12:40 PM   #5822
Evicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladd Morse View Post
COMCAST CABLECARD SUPPORT CENTER
Operational hours are Monday-Friday 9:00am-8:00pm EST., and Saturday 11:30AM-8:00PM EST.
I tried this number and they have options for certain Florida, NC/SC, and Georgia customers. For anyone else it refers you back to the main Comcast number and disconnects.

I had cc installs in two HD Tivo's yesterday and the tech seemed to be pretty familiar with cc installs and Tivo, but said it always takes a couple hours for the premiums to show up so he left when the analog and broadcast digital were working. Called back twice last night and they just wanted me to unplug everything and send a signal and turn it back on, which of course did nothing because they were treating it like one of their cable boxes. They basically ignored everything I said about it being cable card setup that was the issue on their end and had no clue why it took my "cable box" 10 minutes to turn back on after unplugging it. They couldn't get me off the phone fast enough, insisted a technician had to come out to fix it. I'm just about 100% sure this is just a configuration issue on the back end, as the Tivo's now work exactly like my digital tuner in my computer now - they get the exact same, unencrypted digital channels (i.e. broadcast only) plus analog.

I see tomorrows tech visit going the same way Mondays did, with the same result. They really do need to have a special number like the one above for cable cards, sadly this one just punts me back to the clueless 1800COMCAST number.
Evicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 03:10 PM   #5823
kingkrab

Newbie questions

I am planning to get a Tivo HD pretty soon here. I have a 52" Mitsubishi HDTV with built in HD tuner and Comcast Digital Classic package. I have always used a cable card in the TV (I think its an S-Card) since we got it because I was not interested in changing channels through a cable box, or having On-Demand. I mean, why have a TV that can tune in 1000 channels if you're going to leave it on channel 3 the whole time?

Anyway, when I get the TiVo HD, do I take the cable card out of the TV and use it in the TiVo box? Or do I leave it there and go get new cards (or single M card as the case may be) from Comcast. When I'm not using TiVo for a recorded show do I continue to change channels on the TV? Or is this like a cable box where I leave the TV set to one channel full time and just tune in (whether live or recorded) through the TiVo box? If I do use the existing card in the TiVo instead of the TV do I need to call Comcast and have it paired again, or should it automatically work?
kingkrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 09:34 AM   #5824
husky55

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkrab View Post
I am planning to get a Tivo HD pretty soon here. I have a 52" Mitsubishi HDTV with built in HD tuner and Comcast Digital Classic package. I have always used a cable card in the TV (I think its an S-Card) since we got it because I was not interested in changing channels through a cable box, or having On-Demand. I mean, why have a TV that can tune in 1000 channels if you're going to leave it on channel 3 the whole time?

Anyway, when I get the TiVo HD, do I take the cable card out of the TV and use it in the TiVo box? Or do I leave it there and go get new cards (or single M card as the case may be) from Comcast. When I'm not using TiVo for a recorded show do I continue to change channels on the TV? Or is this like a cable box where I leave the TV set to one channel full time and just tune in (whether live or recorded) through the TiVo box? If I do use the existing card in the TiVo instead of the TV do I need to call Comcast and have it paired again, or should it automatically work?
1. Take out the TV cable card.
2. Have the cable guy install the M card or 2 S cards for the Tivo HD.
3. Nothing automatic about switching card and pairing. I speak from experience.

Tivo Premiere Lifetime with M-Card, WD20EADS
Tivo HD Lifetime with M-Card
Samsung Ecogreen F4 HD204UI
husky55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 02:21 PM   #5825
HazelW

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky55 View Post
1. Take out the TV cable card.
2. Have the cable guy install the M card or 2 S cards for the Tivo HD.
3. Nothing automatic about switching card and pairing. I speak from experience.
Note that there are some systems that do not pair the cards to a given device but just authorize the card.
HazelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 06:32 PM   #5826
Zimm

So I have a question here.

How would a TivoHD work if one just put a M-card into it without calling Comcast or having it paired? Would you be able to receive the clear QAM channels in their proper positions (with guide data) or just the analog stuff?

Basically I am asking what would happen if one were to simply buy a CableCARD and install it without any interaction with Comcast?
Zimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 08:38 PM   #5827
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

You'll get all the analogs and clear QAMs in their existing positions, that's it. The card won't map anything if it's not paired, so it's no better than not having a card installed.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:14 PM   #5828
micahmn

Quote:
Originally Posted by micahmn View Post
I'm in Washington D.C. and it has been a nightmare getting Comcast to get the card to work.

First, I called Comcast as soon as I ordered my refurbished HD TiVo to find out about the CableCARD. Two reps I talked to told me it was impossible for me to pick up the CC from the Comcast office and I *must* have a rep come out for a $30 fee. I complained to the Office of Cable Television and I heard back fast from Comcast. They told me I could go to the Michigan Ave office and pick up a CC, which I did.

Basically, only basic cable stations worked, after a few more calls, I got all of my standard cable and premium channels working, but no HD stations. Then I talked to a rep who told me that I need an "HD CableCARD" in order to get HD channels. Needless to say, when I went back to the Comcast office, the woman there laughed in disbelief and informed me that there is only one type of CC, and it handles HD programming.

Another call to their support department ended up with them comping a tech to come out here because "CableCARDs are unreliable and you need to try 3 or 4 different ones to get them to work." A tech was supposed to come Sunday afternoon, but I got a call in the middle of my window asking if they could reschedule for this morning because none of the techs had a CC so they couldn't help me.

So now I'm waiting now for the tech to come, and I'll have to wait at least a year for Verizon to come to D.C.
Follow-up: The tech arrived, talking on her cell phone (presumably with someone in the local Comcast Office). She had a little trouble getting the CableCARD info to come up on the screen, but when she finally had it up, she read the Host ID and the CableCARD ID to the tech. The HD was fixed instantly. I like how I took a half a day off work to have someone come to my apartment to read 12 numbers off a screen that I knew how to find. I'm furious with Comcast right now over this amateur nonsense that I pay $80 a month for.

Last edited by micahmn : 11-20-2008 at 10:17 PM. Reason: some edits
micahmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 08:57 PM   #5829
thisisrybo

Okay there are many threads on this, but many do not form the question simply enough. Here it goes: I have a Tivo HD, with two cable cards and digital classic. No premium channels. No equipment from Comcast, other than two cable cards. That is it. WHAT SHOULD I BE CHARGED FOR??

For simplicity purposes, I am not going to begin to explain what I was charged for on this last bill. For now I will just ask this simple question. I will delve into the complicated mess that was my last bill if need be, later.

Experts?
thisisrybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 03:28 PM   #5830
GatormanX

Much in the same vein as thisisrybo's question, I am trying to figure out my billing... I am currently being charged for an extra outlet because I have 2 S-Cards in my S3. I don't pay for the cards but I have to pay $11.95 for the "second line". This absolutely can't be right, can it? I would gladly pay $2 for the card to save $10 but the rep said I was getting a deal because I wasn't paying for the card like I was supposed to as well... Anyone with any gouge on this?

GMX

Last edited by GatormanX : 11-23-2008 at 07:48 AM. Reason: typos
GatormanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 07:06 AM   #5831
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
You'll get all the analogs and clear QAMs in their existing positions, that's it. The card won't map anything if it's not paired, so it's no better than not having a card installed.
Channel mapping works as long as the card has been activated. Pairing is not necessary.
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 02:36 PM   #5832
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

So what's the diff? You're not supposed to activate it without it being paired.
Old 11-23-2008, 02:46 PM   #5833
Zimm

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3 View Post
Channel mapping works as long as the card has been activated. Pairing is not necessary.
So, theoretically. If I obtained an activated M-card and popped it into my Tivo I would be able to map the proper guide data for all the clear QAM channels.

I will have to look into this more...
Old 11-23-2008, 08:52 PM   #5834
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
So what's the diff? You're not supposed to activate it without it being paired.
If your TiVo breaks and buy another TiVo, just take out the CableCard and put it in the new TiVo. The CableCard is no longer paired, but channel mapping still works fine.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:56 PM   #5835
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimm View Post
So, theoretically. If I obtained an activated M-card and popped it into my Tivo I would be able to map the proper guide data for all the clear QAM channels.
The CableCard has to be activated for your local headend.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:54 PM   #5836
Zimm

So one final question. When you go and pick up a CC from Comcast is it in an activated state? Or does that happen when you call it in?
Old 11-25-2008, 02:34 PM   #5837
sinanju

Quote:
So one final question. When you go and pick up a CC from Comcast is it in an activated state? Or does that happen when you call it in?
There are numbers required for the pairing process that are only available once the card(s) are in the TiVo.
sinanju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 03:43 PM   #5838
dlmart2

Its been a year since I hooked up my S3 TiVo (I moved and never reinstalled them).

I called Comcast (AA County Maryland)) yesterday to request cablecards for my two S3 Tivo's. The CSR asked if I needed single-stream or multi-stream. Not realizing multi-stream was even available (it wasn't when I used my TiVo over a year ago), I said, oh, they have those now? So I asked for the multi stream.

My appointment was today and the field tech installed 1 multi-stream in each TiVo.. called them in to dispatch and he was out of here in 15-20 minutes or so. All is working fine.. just waiting for the channel lineup info to update so I can see the program details. I tested recording 2 different channels and it works as expected. I'm happy.
dlmart2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 06:24 PM   #5839
Zimm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinanju View Post
There are numbers required for the pairing process that are only available once the card(s) are in the TiVo.
I know that you are required to give them your host ID when you perform the pairing process. What I am asking is are the cards activated in their system when they hand it to you or do they activate and pair them when you call it in?
Old 11-25-2008, 08:18 PM   #5840
murryamorris

They won't work unless they are paired to your equipment so it's a moot point. As far as activation, even if they were activated on another person's account, you can't use it without pairing to your Tivo.
murryamorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 08:24 PM   #5841
murryamorris

Limited Basic and Local HD / keeping CC's

I know people had been asking about this a while back. The other day I contacted Comcast Live Chat to downgrade to Limited Basic from the standard Digital ($13 vs. $53 here). I have an S3 and an HD Tivo one with Mcard and the other with 2 single cards. At first the rep told me she couldn't even find limited basic in their lineup. I finally told her it was $13 and I had it a few years ago and was still available. Then I told her I needed to keep my equipment in order to receive the local HD channels (NBC, CBS, Fox, etc). She said they couldn't do that since Limited was analog but I told her they were required by federal law to provide access to local HD channels which meant I had to have the CC's in order to get them. She finally said I was correct and I was charged $1.99 for the change to $13 a month. There was no need for anyone to come out and they dropped all buy my limited channels and the 100+ local HD's within 5 minutes of the online session.

I think the $6 digital additional charge may still show up since I have a second outlet with this charge but not sure about that. I think Comcast might charge a rental fee for the cards on a limited account. Either way, it's still much less.

I had tried a month ago but didn't get as forceful about them following the law and got nowhere. So, if anyone wants to do this, it can be done.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:04 PM   #5842
jfbabiak

Comcast CableCard Problems

Hello Everyone. I'm a new member here, and I just wanted to tell everyone about my recent Comcastic experience. Hopefully someone might have some advice.
I just got a Tivo-HD on Friday, and was looking forward to getting rid of my cable boxes. After picking it up at UPS (long story) I drove over to Comcast to get my cablecard. Long story short, they 100% denied me from picking it up. They said that a tech HAD to come out. I explained that all a tech is going to do is insert the card and call a number to activate it. They told me that I was wrong and that the cards don't receive programming, they have to be hardcoded by a tech at my house. No amount of discussion would help, so I scheduled an appointment for today.
Technician arrived on-time at 2PM (I know, crazy huh?) and the first thing I asked her (yes, her!) was why I needed a tech to do this. She said she didn't know, as all she was going to do was.......insert the card and call to activate it. Since I was paying $40 for this visit, I wasn't too pleased. But I just wanted it done, so she proceeded to get it working. She said that they used to have S-Cards and they had a lot of problems. Took 6-7 different cards to get one Tivo online. She said they just got the M-Cards in (which she had three of) and they are supposed to be more reliable.
First card didn't work at all. The 'dispatcher' who was the only person at Comcast who could activate it, said it was giving off errors. So we tried another card.
This one seemed to work. Downloaded new firmware, got flashed, got to the 'waiting for activation' screen. They sent the activation signal, and it said it was activated. However, I was unable to get any channels except for basic cable (analog) and the Digital non-encrypted ones. The same ones that I could get with my TV's digital QAM tuner without any box. They tried sending out the authorization signal over and over. Nothing. Tried to rebuild my account in the system. Nothing. Card says it's authorized, but it doesn't seem to work. We tried updating the Tivo Guide info twice, just in case. It goes to the different channels, but I get no audio/video. It seems to be picking up some information, like how many audio channels are present, but it doesn't decode them.
So we try card #3. Same thing as #2. I went through the CableCard menu, and looked at diagnostics. Apparently, anytime I switch a channel, it shows under Decryption Errors the tuner number and time (of when I switched channels last on that tuner). So apparently it is unable to decrypt the channels, which is what I assumed. The tech doesn't really have much cable card knowledge, but says this is her first M-Card, and never had any problems like this with the S-Cards. She said they either didn't work at all, or worked fine. She was there from 2PM-5:45PM. She scheduled an appointment for tomorrow morning at 8:30AM with a more 'knowledgable' tech, and told him to bring 'A LOT OF CARDS'. I imagine they are going to try to force 2 S-Cards on me (more $$ for them). I don't really want this, especially after she told me about all the problems they have post-installation. Any ideas on what the problem might be?
She left the #3 card in, thinking it might be able to fix itself tonight. However, about an hour after she left, someone @ Comcast removed it from my account. I know this because it lost authentication, and when I called up to find out why, they told me it was no longer on my account. I said, then let's re-add it.
"Sorry, you need a technician to come out to do that. Only they have the tools necessary"
At this point I went off at them. Got a supervisor. After already paying $40, I have less channels then I did before the tech came out. I explained all the tech did was plug it in and call a number. But the supervisor said he called the 'Head Cable Card Guy' who said that an on-site tech was needed to reinstall the card (even the same one).
This is ridiculous. Does anyone at Comcast know the slightest bit about CableCards?
In any case, sorry about the long rant. But I would be eternally grateful if anyone could shed some light as to what my problem could be. Thanks!
jfbabiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 04:03 AM   #5843
CharlesH

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfbabiak View Post
The 'dispatcher' who was the only person at Comcast who could activate it, said it was giving off errors.
This should be first warning that you are going to have a problem getting the cards installed properly. Current TiVo models don't have the transmitter hardware to send ANYTHING back to the head end. That's the whole reason that someone has to read numbers off the TiVo so their database can be "paired" with the card. If the TiVo had the hardware to allow the cablecard to chat with the head end, you wouldn't need this manual step. Any responses the "dispatcher" was seeing was from something in their network, like a configuration error in one of their databases, not from the cablecards. Apparently, on some systems, the person doing the configuration has to specifically tell it that the host device (TiVo, in this case) can only receive information, so I could see why it would be upset if the card didn't respond if it was expecting a 2-way device.
CharlesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 11:13 AM   #5844
jfbabiak

Status Update

So, the same tech who came yesterday came back this morning (once again on-time!@!@). She brought with her 4 M-Cards and about 12 S-Cards. She said the guy who was going to come (cablecard expert....) was busy, but if she couldn't get it in a couple hours, he would stop by. She also said she had a good dispatcher on today that knew a lot about CableCards. So she plugs in the new one, it downloads firmware, flashes itself, then goes to the activation screen. She calls up the guy, gives him the information, and then he told her to give it 8 minutes and then turn off the Tivo and then back on. But before he even finished saying this, the TV starts showing video!!!!! And audio!!!!!!! All my channels were working: analog, digital, HD and premiums. She did nothing differently on my end, and I can only assume that either all 3 cards yesterday were bad, or the dispatcher yesterday wasn't doing it correctly. In either case, come on Comcast. But at least it's working now. Or should I say, for now......
Old 11-26-2008, 02:12 PM   #5845
Zimm

Quote:
Originally Posted by murryamorris View Post
They won't work unless they are paired to your equipment so it's a moot point. As far as activation, even if they were activated on another person's account, you can't use it without pairing to your Tivo.
So this is not correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfbabiak View Post
...This one seemed to work. Downloaded new firmware, got flashed, got to the 'waiting for activation' screen. They sent the activation signal, and it said it was activated. However, I was unable to get any channels except for basic cable (analog) and the Digital non-encrypted ones. The same ones that I could get with my TV's digital QAM tuner without any box....
The above proves that so long as the card is activated it will tune basic cable and the clear QAM channels. This is all I am trying to do. Right now I have basic cablewithout cablecards and I get TBA on all my QAM channels. All I want is for the guide data to be mapped for these channels and it seems that if I get an activated M-card I would be able to do this.

The above also answers my question though. The cards are not activated when they are picked up, they are omly activated when you call them in.
Old 11-26-2008, 02:28 PM   #5846
mindchaotica
TiVo User

you know it might just be me, but it seems to me that the Cable Companies try to make it as hard as they can for people to get the cable cards. granted the cost is low, but still this is something that people can do themselves without having to roll a truck for it. just seems silly to me.
mindchaotica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 09:46 PM   #5847
jfbabiak

Quote:
The above proves that so long as the card is activated it will tune basic cable and the clear QAM channels. This is all I am trying to do. Right now I have basic cablewithout cablecards and I get TBA on all my QAM channels. All I want is for the guide data to be mapped for these channels and it seems that if I get an activated M-card I would be able to do this.

The above also answers my question though. The cards are not activated when they are picked up, they are omly activated when you call them in.
Actually, after they removed the first day's card from my account, and DE-authorized it, I was still able to receive analog and unencrypted QAM digital channels. So apparently, at least in my area, you just need a cablecard plugged in. It doesn't have to be authorized.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:49 PM   #5848
Zimm

So all the channels mapped to their proper locations after the card was de-authorized? That is what I am trying to do. I want all the clear QAM channels to be mapped to their proper locations and get guide data.
Old 11-27-2008, 05:58 AM   #5849
murryamorris

[quote=Zimm;6873637]So this is not correct.

Sure, you can get analog without a cablecard even in the Tivo. To get dual tuner on digital channels, you need the card paired; and to get all the channels mapped correctly (at least that's how it was when I installed my S-cards a couple years ). Maybe the Tivo's have changed and don't require the cards but I doubt it.

Last edited by murryamorris : 11-27-2008 at 06:18 AM.
Old 11-27-2008, 06:01 AM   #5850
murryamorris

Quote:
So all the channels mapped to their proper locations after the card was de-authorized? That is what I am trying to do. I want all the clear QAM channels to be mapped to their proper locations and get guide data.
If your cards are activated and paired, you will get all channels mapped correctly. My M and S cards in both Tivo's do this on limited basic with the cards and I get all guide data for the HD stations. As another person listed on the tech issues, you don't need a tech, that's a load of bull. My first install I picked up the cards and did a week of calling into Comcast until I got someone who knew how to pair and activate the cards correctly. When I found someone on the phone who actually knew what they were doing, all the channels came in and mapped correctly in a couple of minutes.

On the second Tivo a tech came out for free and did the M card. Had the same problem as the other poster about not getting the full lineup (had digital package then) and it was an account setting that was incorrect for me. Once they updated my channel lineup in their system, I got all the digital channels.

Last edited by murryamorris : 11-27-2008 at 06:08 AM.