TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-22-2008, 07:36 PM   #31
FiosUser

This is definately a problem with the content being watched.

I've only had this happen 2 times in my life. Both times were on the USA Men's Basketball games on NBC during this past olympics.

Haven't seen it since then.

It is very bad though when it is happening.
FiosUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 12:30 PM   #32
Poochie

Quick update. I did NOT see the "slow 1x FF" problem last night, watching programs on ESPN-HD, KTVU HD (Fox), or FX (digital SD). I forgot to re-check KNTV-HD (NBC) to see if it was program-specific or a problem with NBC in general.

I'd suspect something strange in the NBC feed too.
Poochie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 12:55 PM   #33
NJP11

I've noticed the problem most on CBS's HD feed during NFL games
NJP11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 01:07 PM   #34
janry

I don't have an issue with how any of the FF speeds work, except in the last few minutes of a recorded program, if I FF then hit play to go back to normal, it skips the last few mintutes and hits the end of the recordling, like a skip to next click does. Then, I have to rewind back to where I was. This only started happened after the 9.4 update.
janry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 01:17 PM   #35
deaddeeds
Go Hokies

I noticed the 1XFF problem Sunday on NBC HD with my S3 during the Cowboy's game but last night on ESPN HD it was back to normal. But I have noticed the FF being choppy sporadically and skipping head by like 5 min on occasion. It is very annoying!!!
deaddeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 02:46 PM   #36
NJP11

I decided to check today's games to see if I noticed the same problems as I had noticed on CBS's earlier Patriots game. The problem was again evident on today's CBS coverage of the Kansas City vs Denver game. When I went to check to see if I had the same problem on Fox's Jets vs Cardinals game fast forward 1x seem to work as it should. I noticed that the CBS games are in 1080i while Fox's are in 720p. Does anyone know what NBC and ESPN shoot their games in so I can see if the problem is related to only 1080i broadcasts.

Thanks
NJP11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 07:44 PM   #37
DigitalAnarchist

I have 2 TiVo HD's and they have both been doing this since 9.3 update. It is internittent - and usually just results in muting the sound. 2x, 3x work fine. Seems to clearly be a TiVo bug to me.

I'm usually a 30 second skip person, but use 1x on occasion, esp for "flow" sports after the score approaches a blowout (basketball, hockey, etc.)

I have Comcast digital cable with Motorola M-card with 480i component output, watching only standard def channels.

Last edited by DigitalAnarchist : 09-28-2008 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Environment comment added
DigitalAnarchist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 12:30 AM   #38
Budget_HT
Heavy User (of TiVo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJP11 View Post
I decided to check today's games to see if I noticed the same problems as I had noticed on CBS's earlier Patriots game. The problem was again evident on today's CBS coverage of the Kansas City vs Denver game. When I went to check to see if I had the same problem on Fox's Jets vs Cardinals game fast forward 1x seem to work as it should. I noticed that the CBS games are in 1080i while Fox's are in 720p. Does anyone know what NBC and ESPN shoot their games in so I can see if the problem is related to only 1080i broadcasts.

Thanks
NBC is 1080i and ESPN is 720p.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:17 PM   #39
Poochie

Another evening of "slow" 1xFF on Sunday Night Football on NBC. It was not "slow" on either FOX (SF vs NO) or CBS (SD vs Oak) NFL games in HD. Since CBS is also 1080i, I doubt it's strictly a 1080i issue. Hopefully I'll remember to check other NBC programming at some point.

All watched via Comcast cable on my S3 in the SF Bay Area.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:15 PM   #40
jbernardis

One further observation on this issue - it only seems to happen on NBC HD. I receie 3 such channels - channel 160 from comcast my cable provider, channel 10-1 OTA from Philadelphia and channel 4-1 OTA from New York. This problem occurs on all three of these channels, and seemingly on no other channels.
1 Win7 HTPC with Ceton Quad Tuner

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

jbernardis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 11:42 AM   #41
FiosUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbernardis View Post
One further observation on this issue - it only seems to happen on NBC HD. I receie 3 such channels - channel 160 from comcast my cable provider, channel 10-1 OTA from Philadelphia and channel 4-1 OTA from New York. This problem occurs on all three of these channels, and seemingly on no other channels.
I agree. I saw it for my third time this weekend on Saturday Night Live. The 1xFF didn't act quite right--although it did work better than the two previous times this happened.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:13 AM   #42
FiosUser

I've been seeing this more and more now.

I've come to expect it on any HD recording that is 1.5 hours or more.

Basketball games always do it (I'm sure it is not the content, but the kind of video an the length maybe).

This is a bug, but Tivo will say "they've never heard of anyone having this problem before."
Old 11-10-2008, 01:41 PM   #43
Poochie

My experience has not been based on the length of the program, but rather which channel the program is on.

Just yesterday I has 2 HD recordings of ~7 hours each (due to not knowing what NFL games would be on when on Fox and CBS due to the Raiders not selling out), 1xFF on both Fox and CBS was fine for those. And once again NBC's NFL game had the slower-than-realtime 1xFF. 30-second-skip worked fine though.

I also continue to notice it with SNL on NBC. I'll check a shorter NBC HD program (e.g. 30 Rock) to see if a short NBC program exhibits the same behavior.

I have also noticed this on occasion on CSNBA-HD while watching Sharks games. Those are usually 3.5 hours recordings though.

I'll try submitting something to their Help Forums (never done that before, I just found them)... not holding my breath, but you never know.
Old 11-10-2008, 01:44 PM   #44
jbernardis

I agree with the above post. My experience is that this happens ONLY on NBC HD, whether cable or OTA. NBC SD is fine as are other channels.

Old 11-10-2008, 01:44 PM   #45
rifleman69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
My experience has not been based on the length of the program, but rather which channel the program is on.

Just yesterday I has 2 HD recordings of ~7 hours each (due to not knowing what NFL games would be on when on Fox and CBS due to the Raiders not selling out), 1xFF on both Fox and CBS was fine for those. And once again NBC's NFL game had the slower-than-realtime 1xFF. 30-second-skip worked fine though.

I also continue to notice it with SNL on NBC. I'll check a shorter NBC HD program (e.g. 30 Rock) to see if a short NBC program exhibits the same behavior.

I have also noticed this on occasion on CSNBA-HD while watching Sharks games. Those are usually 3.5 hours recordings though.

I'll try submitting something to their Help Forums (never done that before, I just found them)... not holding my breath, but you never know.
I'm noticing it on NBC-related broadcasts as well, including those on another network such as the 10pm news produced by the local NBC affiliate on another channel.
rifleman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 07:47 PM   #46
FiosUser

OK, well I have noticed it on not only NBC HD but also FSW HD (Fox Sports West).

Is Fox Sports related to NBC?

Maybe it is not the channel, but something common between NBC and Fox Sports?

For example, the Laker game on Sunday night (11/10/2008) was shown on Fox Sports West and this problem was very visable.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:34 PM   #47
mattack

(tangent)
it's actually called Comcast Sports Net nowadays.. (though the icons in my Tivos still say FSN)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 08:45 AM   #48
thenightfly42
Seņor Senior, Jr.

So, has anyone actually called TiVo, or are we just assuming that they will say that they haven't heard of it?
thenightfly42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 02:20 PM   #49
FiosUser

I called them when it first happened. That was back in August.

At that time they said they never heard of such a thing.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:11 AM   #50
FiosUser

Tonight's Laker game is working fine. It is HD, but a different channel (our local channel called KCAL). So, looks like it is something specific to a station.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:27 AM   #51
nirisahn

I've noticed this happening just the last couple of weeks when I'm watching football. I'll tell it 1x FF and it doesn't speed up, then it does for a second, then it's back to normal speed for a few seconds, then jumps ahead again, and I can almost count off the timing on when it's going to jump ahead. The other FF speeds are just fine.
nirisahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 06:24 PM   #52
FiosUser

Again last night during the Lakers game on FSN HD.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:27 PM   #53
FiosUser

Called Tivo and some guy actually tried to help with this.

Recommended I change the recording quality (under settings).

So, I have changed it from "High" to "Medium" and we'll see if that affects the fast forward problem. I think another game is on tonight so we'll see if it worked or not.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:50 PM   #54
jbernardis

I didn't think recording quality affected digital channels, of which FSN HD is obviously one.

Old 11-21-2008, 12:32 PM   #55
Poochie

Another instance of this happening for me. This time on the SD channel for CSN-BA when I watched Monday night's Sharks game vs Nashville. In my case I'm getting the digital version of this channel - we have had ADS in my area for almost a year now.
Old 12-07-2008, 05:04 PM   #56
chrisaj

Arrow

Has anyone ever gotten this problem fixed? Sent it off to service? Rebuilt the disk? Anything?

I've been experiencing it since the Olympics and it's highly annoying. I use double-speed a lot to speed through sports while still being able to actually see the action.
chrisaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 12:41 PM   #57
Poochie

Nope, I still see this to this day on some of the channels, as I've indicated earlier. NBC (for Sunday Night Football) is the most annoying.

It continues to happen under version 11 of the software - my Tivo got that last week at some point, and last night's SNF recording of Baltimore/Washington continued to exhibit the problem.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:26 PM   #58
FiosUser

Still plaguing the massess.

Last time I called Tivo support, they said to change the recording quality. I lowered it one notch and that didn't help.

Watching Saturday Night Live recorded from NBC HD had the problem.

Seems I've had the problem most with NBC, but also Fox Sports West.

So, the mystery continues. The very, very, very annoying and problematic mystery continues.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:54 PM   #59
blacknoi

This happened to me during the Thanksgiving day parade as broadcast on NBCHD on my S3... using the live buffer.

Pressing FF 1x yielded NO faster speed, just no audio. Sux....
Old 12-08-2008, 04:57 PM   #60
rifleman69

Anyone notice the pattern, it has something to do with NBC or NBC-related stations (besides FSN-HD)? Wonder if there's something that's not being sent out right.
rifleman69 is offline   Reply With Quote