TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-18-2008, 11:39 AM   #31
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
Love the new "Basic TiVo info in drawer" in 1.5b3!

However, this new version isn't listing all the shows on my 750GB Series 3 TiVo. Previous versions, it listed ~260 shows. Now, it lists 113.

I was alarmed at first, since so many items are missing... I only see 1 Primetime (I know I'd been saving 3,) and no Suggestions (I had 6.) But I just fired up the TiVo itself and they are all there.

Needless to say, since it's only an incomplete list, I can't extract everything, and the "basic info" and pie chart are rendered inaccurate.
Quick question: Of the missing shows, how many are marked as 'copy protected'? Those are shows the tivo refuses to let you download, and so are not listed on the 'now playing' list, but SHOULD be counted in the total hard drive used drawer (there's a chunk for shows that are copyrighted). Did the old version really list more (it wasn't supposed to list copyrighted shows before either). If so, I need to fix that .
Yoav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 11:41 AM   #32
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
I don't think that's it. Why would it only list 1 of my 3 "Primetime" recordings? None of those are copy protected.
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 11:47 AM   #33
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
I don't think that's it. Why would it only list 1 of my 3 "Primetime" recordings? None of those are copy protected.
Ok then. we have a bug. Let me see if I can figure out why...
(the only shows it's supposed to ignore are shows listed as 'copy protected' and shows listed as 'in progress'). Let's see if I can find out what's going on.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:06 PM   #34
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoav View Post
Ok then. we have a bug. Let me see if I can figure out why...
(the only shows it's supposed to ignore are shows listed as 'copy protected' and shows listed as 'in progress'). Let's see if I can find out what's going on.
Whoa indeed. There is a bug that affects any tivo with > 128 shows on it. Eek fixing now. Thank you for catching.

1.5b4 now uploaded, *should* fix this problem.. Please tell me if it does.

Last edited by Yoav : 11-18-2008 at 12:18 PM.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:49 PM   #35
Yoav

Anyone here own an ElGato Turbo.264 stick and want to help me test something? (I don't own one, so have NO IDEA if I'm even remotely doing the right thing).
Old 11-24-2008, 11:23 PM   #36
UncaAndoo

Love that you're continuing TDM. Second the motion of adding a donation button.

I take it that you're supposed to set your own file extension if you're choosing "No encode"?

Philips 230-hour Combo Unit
UncaAndoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 03:12 AM   #37
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncaAndoo View Post
Love that you're continuing TDM. Second the motion of adding a donation button.

I take it that you're supposed to set your own file extension if you're choosing "No encode"?
It will default to an .mpg file extension.
No encode simply takes the original mpeg-2 transport stream from the tivo, and decrypts it. It will skip re-encoding. This is only useful if you have something that can play transport streams and want the original data from the tivo. (quicktime cannot, vlc and mplayer can). (mpeg-2 files generally use a .mpg extension.. so that's what it uses.. feel free to pick your own one otherwise).
Old 11-26-2008, 01:44 PM   #38
tubbo
jazz cat in a hat

A beautiful piece of work. Thank you for making my life a little easier.
tubbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 04:28 PM   #39
cuyahoga

Quote:
Anyone here own an ElGato Turbo.264 stick and want to help me test something? (I don't own one, so have NO IDEA if I'm even remotely doing the right thing).
Sure. I want to start playing with the Turbo.264 feature, so if there is something specific you want me to try just let me know.
Old 11-28-2008, 12:11 PM   #40
Yoav

Pushed out version 1.5.. check for updates in menu to get it.
Old 11-28-2008, 05:51 PM   #41
AquaX

Here's a request -- for the pie graph of used space, could there be a place where you could enter in the drive size in GB, then have it figure out from there? A pie graph isn't always the best choice if it doesn't add up to 100%, but by knowing the full size of the HD in GB, you could always equalize it to 100%.
Old 11-28-2008, 06:01 PM   #42
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Great idea!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 03:18 AM   #43
Yoav

Ok so it's entirely a hack at this point,
but in the new beta (1.6b1) you should be able to edit the size it claims for your tivo, and it will mark the remaining space in gray. (And save that value, and increment it if it ever gets a bigger number from the tivo).

So yeah, fugly ugly method, but should at least give you the ability to set the total space to be bigger than is claimed.
Old 11-30-2008, 04:53 PM   #44
jacobcoakley

Anyone have a rough estimate on how long the encoding should take? I'm running v1.5 on a Mac Mini -- 1.42 GHz PPC G4 with 1 GB RAM on OSX 10.5.5. Trying to encode to iPod/iPhone SuperRes settings (640x480 h.264 at 1500 kbps, audio aac 128 kbs). Trying to encode a 30 minute program telling me this should take about 7 hours.

I know I have an old/slow system, but was just trying to see if there's a setting I've been missing.

BTW -- love the program!
jacobcoakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 04:34 PM   #45
hdfatboy2003@mac

Yoav - looks like I'm narrowing down the problem with the AppleTV preset. It appears that if the original source is a 720p program the output from iTivo will not be transfered to AppleTV by iTunes. The output is playable by iTunes and Quicktime though.

If the original source is a 1080i program there are no issues with the transfer to AppleTV.

Got any clues as to why and what can be done to fix the issue? I tried using the Iphone hi-res preset and it failed to transfer to AppleTV also for the 720p programming sources.

Thanks.
hdfatboy2003@mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 06:48 PM   #46
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdfatboy2003@mac View Post
Yoav - looks like I'm narrowing down the problem with the AppleTV preset. It appears that if the original source is a 720p program the output from iTivo will not be transfered to AppleTV by iTunes. The output is playable by iTunes and Quicktime though.

If the original source is a 1080i program there are no issues with the transfer to AppleTV.

Got any clues as to why and what can be done to fix the issue? I tried using the Iphone hi-res preset and it failed to transfer to AppleTV also for the 720p programming sources.

Thanks.
I'm not entirely sure since the output is supposed to be 'fixed' to a resolution. It's possible that there's some scaling issues that cause 1080i to scale to something different than a 720p source (720p isn't interlaced). There might be another necessary argument that control the output fps or something. I'm not sure yet but it's almost definitely some extra argument to mencoder that is missing...
Old 12-02-2008, 10:15 PM   #47
Yoav

Ok, so 1.6b2 is up there, It now allows you to use handbrake as the encoder (with a few default settings .. still messing with it). One of these settings is the default handbrake AppleTV setting, tell me if that works for you..

One nasty downside is that handbrake doesn't accept edit lists, so I can't use it to comskip (yet?). It may be possible to use mencoder to edit and then handbrake to re-encode, although that will probably cause nasty audio/video sync issues.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:08 PM   #48
bohbot16

Quote:
Ok, so 1.6b2 is up there, It now allows you to use handbrake as the encoder (with a few default settings .. still messing with it). One of these settings is the default handbrake AppleTV setting, tell me if that works for you..
One issue you may run into is that HD source material from the TiVo may end up at the wrong resolution for the AppleTV. There is a forum thread here: http://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7977

I would test this myself, but I don't have an AppleTV (yet)

Once again, thanks Yoav. iTiVo is a great app and getting better!
bohbot16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 03:43 PM   #49
fatespawn

First of all, THANKS. This is great work. I would like to mention to anyone having "stalling" issues, I fixed mine by not only closing the "nowplaying" widget, but removing it from the user directory, rebooting, and upgrading to 1.5+. I doubt 1.5 had anything extra to do with it, but suspect it was completely associated with with widget.

Also, does anyone have a suggestion for sending the video back to the tivo with comskip enabled. I like to archive kids shows (and removing commercials CERTAINLY helps during the holiday GIMME GIMME GIMME season) and then send them back to the tivo. "native" would be what I would want, but you can't enable comskip. What would be the next best method - or perhaps add another preset that scrubs commercials but does no further compression or format change...?

TIA

-fate
fatespawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 03:50 PM   #50
hdfatboy2003@mac

Quote:

One nasty downside is that handbrake doesn't accept edit lists, so I can't use it to comskip (yet?). It may be possible to use mencoder to edit and then handbrake to re-encode, although that will probably cause nasty audio/video sync issues.
Yoav - I gave up on the Handbrake option after it started to download the episode for the second time. I started the initial download at 6:30 this morning by 12:30pm it indicated that there was 38 minutes left to the encode process. Download normally takes only about 2 1/2 hours for a 60 minute HD program. Looks like it went through a couple of passes to encode and then when I came back from lunch it showed it was downloading it again.

On a brighter note - I did some digging around and found a parameter for Mencoder to restrict the ouput frame rate to 24fps. This in combination with a 960 x 540 appear to allow it to transfer and play on the AppleTV.

I'm running another test now and will let you know how it works out.

Thanks!
hdfatboy2003@mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 07:07 PM   #51
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatespawn View Post
First of all, THANKS. This is great work. I would like to mention to anyone having "stalling" issues, I fixed mine by not only closing the "nowplaying" widget, but removing it from the user directory, rebooting, and upgrading to 1.5+. I doubt 1.5 had anything extra to do with it, but suspect it was completely associated with with widget.

Also, does anyone have a suggestion for sending the video back to the tivo with comskip enabled. I like to archive kids shows (and removing commercials CERTAINLY helps during the holiday GIMME GIMME GIMME season) and then send them back to the tivo. "native" would be what I would want, but you can't enable comskip. What would be the next best method - or perhaps add another preset that scrubs commercials but does no further compression or format change...?

TIA

-fate
First, thank you for figuring that out. I'll be sure to mention to it others who have sent me similar reports.

As for your question: turns out there is no happy answer.

"MPEG2-TS" does what you're asking for (that is, copying only the relevant frames of audio and video without including the commercials). However, people have reported massive sync issues between video and audio after that is done (basically, the tivo provides the stream with video and audio not synced.. and when you start to cut them up, the sync goes crazy).

The next best thing is to find some mpeg-2 setting that has everything you want...

I think with the upcoming release of the tivo software, they will actually support H.264 (or at least xvid) decoding, so you'll have more options for file formats 'soon'.. but we won't know for sure until it's available (I'm not a beta-tester for them, so don't know).

(As you can tell from this, mencoder/handbrake is special-sauce magic that nobody seems to understand.. but there are a LOT of forums around the net dedicated to 'doing what you need', so if you can figure out a useful setting from those, tell me and I'll be happy to include it.)
Old 12-03-2008, 07:13 PM   #52
Yoav

Ok, for those who don't mind helping debug
I put up 1.6b3 just now. This is my 'last ditch' attempt to get the encoder working with Tiger (10.4). As I don't have a tiger machine to test on, if someone could tell me if it's working I'll be very appreciative!!

The bad news is I think if this round fails I'm going to simply give up on 10.4. It's impossible for me to test or debug things on it.

Also, any more opinions on handbrake? I added it since I heard tons of gushing about how great an encoder it is.. But it seems like it doesn't support skip lists (no commercial skipping), and I actually can't tell any performance difference either.. so trying to figure if it's worth doubling the size of the bundle to support it...
Old 12-03-2008, 07:21 PM   #53
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobcoakley View Post
Anyone have a rough estimate on how long the encoding should take? I'm running v1.5 on a Mac Mini -- 1.42 GHz PPC G4 with 1 GB RAM on OSX 10.5.5. Trying to encode to iPod/iPhone SuperRes settings (640x480 h.264 at 1500 kbps, audio aac 128 kbs). Trying to encode a 30 minute program telling me this should take about 7 hours.

I know I have an old/slow system, but was just trying to see if there's a setting I've been missing.

BTW -- love the program!
H.264 encoding on PPC hardware takes forever, unfortunately.
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 07:33 PM   #54
Yoav

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmontyburns View Post
yep. h.264 is a very complex encoding scheme. Some things that might help speed it up a little include:

1) update to the beta (yes I normally don't recommend this, but mencoder is compiled with additional optimizations for ppc enabled in the beta).
2) use a smaller output file (instead of super-res, use the iPhone or iPod setting as appropriate for your device).
3) if you want to REALLY mess with it, go to Prefs... advanced, and look in the video encoder options. Towards the end you will see pp=lb, (otherstuff). Delete the pp=lb,

but the sad truth is that computers effectively double in speed about every year and a half, and the powerPC processor is now about 3 years old... so it's not too surprising
Old 12-03-2008, 07:48 PM   #55
fatespawn

G4? yes, you're probably looking at the best of the best. 7 hours may be a bit extreme, but if you're looking for super hi-res video, that's probably the best you'll get. I have a Dual G5 2.0 Ghz PPC and it takes about 1.5 hrs to encode a 1 hr video for the iphone (480x240?)

There are a couple of options for you. The elgato turbo 264:

http://www.elgato.com/elgato/na/main...oduct1.en.html

This product removes the PPC processor from the encoding scheme and is a stand alone H264 encoder. I don't have one, but for a G4, that's the BIGGEST boost you can get.

The other option is ffmpegx (but this is only quicker for the G5's)
http://homepage.mac.com/major4/

ffmpegx is a program that encodes into a number of formats, and there is a nice G5 hack somewhere in the forums section that increases speed 1.5x - in my results.... but again it's only for G5's so hopefully it helps someone else.

There is no really clean solution other than upgrading....

-fate
fatespawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 09:08 PM   #56
AudioNutz

Quote:
Ok, for those who don't mind helping debug
I put up 1.6b3 just now. This is my 'last ditch' attempt to get the encoder working with Tiger (10.4). As I don't have a tiger machine to test on, if someone could tell me if it's working I'll be very appreciative!!
I'm absolutely willing to test it, but I won't be home again until Tuesday. (I'm not willing to risk a remote re-boot, because I need to be able to process shows while I'm on the road this week.) I'll even volunteer to do some of the compiling for you if you would like me to do it on a live Tiger system.

Quote:
The bad news is I think if this round fails I'm going to simply give up on 10.4. It's impossible for me to test or debug things on it.
Please don't give up yet. Like I said, I'm very willing to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmontyburns View Post
Hmmm, not if you use ffmpeg. I'm getting performance about double real-time to encode for iPod 5G with a version of ffmpeg that I use. (30 minutes to encode a 1-hour TiVo show)

Does anyone know if ffmpeg allows those wonderful skip-lists?
AudioNutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 09:34 PM   #57
AudioNutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNutz View Post
I'm absolutely willing to test it, but I won't be home again until Tuesday. (I'm not willing to risk a remote re-boot, because I need to be able to process shows while I'm on the road this week.) I'll even volunteer to do some of the compiling for you if you would like me to do it on a live Tiger system.
I've got good news, and bad news now.

GOOD:
I remembered that I could get into my XServe from where I'm at, and tried iTiVo 1.6b3. (Server version of the Tiger OS)

BAD:
I'm getting a strange AppleScript error now, that I wasn't getting before. I took a screenshot here:

GOOD:
But I didn't give up, I did a terminal command to the mencoder version that you've got inside 1.6b3, and I'm no longer getting that "Buss Error" that the previous betas were giving me.

So it seems that you've been successful at compiling mencoder for the Tiger OS, but it's possible that the GUI isn't playing nice now. Tell me if you agree?
Old 12-03-2008, 10:32 PM   #58
Yoav

Quote:
I've got good news, and bad news now.

GOOD:
I remembered that I could get into my XServe from where I'm at, and tried iTiVo 1.6b3. (Server version of the Tiger OS)

BAD:
I'm getting a strange AppleScript error now, that I wasn't getting before. I took a screenshot here:

GOOD:
But I didn't give up, I did a terminal command to the mencoder version that you've got inside 1.6b3, and I'm no longer getting that "Buss Error" that the previous betas were giving me.

So it seems that you've been successful at compiling mencoder for the Tiger OS, but it's possible that the GUI isn't playing nice now. Tell me if you agree?
YAY!
(mostly)

Hmm fair assessment.. I'm guessing I introduced a bug that's affecting every release actually.. I just have to figure out where I'm dividing by zero .

I don't suppose you can forward me the debugging log from that? (/tmp/iTiVo-<yourname>.log )

Last edited by Yoav : 12-03-2008 at 10:39 PM.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:34 PM   #59
Yoav

Quote:
Does anyone know if ffmpeg allows those wonderful skip-lists?
Yes ffmpeg allows skip lists. However, ffmpeg is using exactly the same library as mencoder (libavcodec / libx264) so the only reason it's faster is due to different arguments being passed in.

If you tell me your invocation of ffmpeg, I can turn it into a valid invocation of mencoder, and if it seems as fast (and the quality is still reasonable) we may want to add that as a format...
Old 12-03-2008, 11:40 PM   #60
AudioNutz

Quote:
...I don't suppose you can forward me the debugging log from that? (/tmp/iTiVo-<yourname>.log )
Absolutely! I've sent it to the iTiVo Google site for issues.

Quote:
...If you tell me your invocation of ffmpeg, I can turn it into a valid invocation of mencoder, and if it seems as fast (and the quality is still reasonable) we may want to add that as a format...
This is the argument that I'm currently using with ffmpeg:
Code:
FFMPEG -y -i INPUT -threads 4       -s 320x240 -aspect 320:240   -r 29.97   -vcodec h264  -g 150  -qmin 25  -b 560k  -level 13 -loop 1 -sc_threshold 40 -partp4x4 1 -rc_eq 'blurCplx^(1-qComp)' -refs 3  -qmax 51 -maxrate 700k -keyint_min 40    -async 50  -acodec libfaac  -ar 48000 -ac 2 -ab 128k OUTPUT