TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-03-2008, 05:49 PM   #331
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by guarh View Post
The tech said that even in analog the channels should not look as bad, my signal level was kind of low, -10db. I will schedule an appointment to have an amp installed, and if after that the analog channels are still crappy I may return the Tivo, even though I don't want to.
DO NOT have an amp installed. Is the absolute responsibility of the CATV provider to deliver decent signals to the eve of your house. Under no circumstances whatsoever should the signal level of any analog channel be lower than +4 dBmv nor of any digital carrier to be lower than -6dBmV, and typically most channels should be at least 5 or 6 dB better than that. Do not accept any excuses on this point. If they balk, threaten to write a letter to the FCC, and remind them a failure to comply with minimal signal quality per the FCC Proof of Performance regulations can elicit fines up to $150,000 a day. Take down their names and employee numbers, and explain to them you will be sending out the letter to the FCC with their names included, and a copy will be sent to the General Manager of your local CATV system if the signal issue is not resolved in 72 hours. This, regardless of any performance issues or lack of same on any device in your house.

Note if the signal level at the eve of your house is good, but you have a large number of outlets and / or very long cable runs before reaching your receivers, then an amplifier may be warranted, but only if the signal levels at the eve of the house are good and you can establish the low levels are not due to plumbing problems (bad cable, bad splitters, incorrectly installed splitters, bad connectors, etc.) inside the house. In my house, for example, I have some fairly long drops and 12 outlets. The passive loss on some legs is 17dB, and cable losses on the longest drops at the highest channels are more than 10 dB, so an amplifier is definitely required. In a house with 2 or perhaps even 4 outlets (7dB passive loss for 4 outlets) no more than 20 meters from the point where the cable drop attaches to the house (about 5dB loss at 750MHz), no amplifier should be required. With 4 or more outlets and long wall drops, an amp might be necessary. With 8 or more outlets, an amp is almost surely necessary - especially since 8 outlets also implies a fairly large house.

Quote:
Are you receiving channels below 99 in analog, you can usually tell the difference, they look dark, grainy, etc.
Check the system diagnostics when tuned to a channel and it will tell you specifically if the channel is analog or digital. Note that digital transmission will only alleviate artifacts caused by CATV plant problems. If the signal is poor reachng the headend, digital transmission won't help.

Last edited by lrhorer : 09-03-2008 at 06:10 PM.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 06:37 AM   #332
guarh

lrhorer: thank you for your valuable input!

I have two lines going in from the box outside the house. One of them has my Tivo, cable modem and one analog tv connected, the other line has two analog tvs. The first line where the tivo is, the total length of the line before reaching the tivo is about 20-25m, and I am not sure, but I think there may be one or two splitters on that cable. The second line is shorter than that though and it only has one splitter, and quality is still crappy. I will have the tech check the signal levels at the eve and at the tv. So, I should have at least -6dbmv at the Tivo, and better than this at eve (around +5dbmv or better) if I understand correctly?

Funny thing is, the first time when Brighthouse contractor came to connect cable at the house, I asked him about the signal levels and if he had a tool to measure it. He said the standalone tool is very expensive and he didn't have it.
guarh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 08:36 AM   #333
Duke

Red face

If the cable drop from the BH monument on the street to the side of your house is old or damaged, it is quite acceptable to ask them to replace it. Irhorer is correct, BH should be delivering a clean strong signal to the eve of your house. An amp may be needed from that point to your TV's depending on the number of splitters, cable length, number of TV's, etc.

I've never seen a cable tech that didn't have a signal strength device with them. It's their basic tool for troubleshooting.

If your internet connection is on the same drop as your TiVo, TV's, etc. that could be a problem. BH should have installed a Hi/Lo splitter to isolate the internet drop to your cable modem from the rest of your cable TV system. That is typically done at the eve of the house, with a separate cable line going to your modem.

Good luck.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:15 AM   #334
Duke

Note

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpcotEric View Post
So you are getting the Analog-Digital Simulcast (AD or ADS) of the lower channels? If you pick to record, say BayNews9 on channel 9, does it ask for the recording quality (Best, etc.)? If it doesn't, you're getting the Analog-Digital Simulcast. If it doesn't, then it's analog. You can also tell by the DVR Diagnostic screen. It will show analog or digital tuning. I also know that some channels in the lower tier are only available in analog (I think channel 4, for example.)

I live in Largo/Pinellas Park unincorporated Pinellas.

If you do get the ADS channels, I'm going to need to make a few calls to BH again!
I'm in South Pinellas. Using your method I tested many channels from 3 to 99, and all of them are analog, not ADS. I thought BH had shifted some of these lower channels to digital, but I guess not yet.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:29 AM   #335
guarh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke View Post
If the cable drop from the BH monument on the street to the side of your house is old or damaged, it is quite acceptable to ask them to replace it. Irhorer is correct, BH should be delivering a clean strong signal to the eve of your house. An amp may be needed from that point to your TV's depending on the number of splitters, cable length, number of TV's, etc.

I've never seen a cable tech that didn't have a signal strength device with them. It's their basic tool for troubleshooting.

If your internet connection is on the same drop as your TiVo, TV's, etc. that could be a problem. BH should have installed a Hi/Lo splitter to isolate the internet drop to your cable modem from the rest of your cable TV system. That is typically done at the eve of the house, with a separate cable line going to your modem.

Good luck.
I remember they put one of those hi/lo splitters when I lived in Clearwater(two years ago), but that was done by a Brighthouse tech who seemed to know what he is doing, he mentioned he is working for BH for 8 years.

Quote:
The contractor said that the tool is like $2K, which sounds ridiculous to me.

O btw, they changed the underground cable coming to my house during the initial install, but I guess that didn't help much.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:05 PM   #336
25Tango

I live in a community that furnishes Brighthouse Basic service with our HOA fees that only includes about 20-30 analog chans and a good many QAM.
I bought a TivoHD a few days ago and scaned the QAM channs which includes some HD chans. More than are shown in their pdf file here:
http://cfl.mybrighthouse.com/product...s/default.aspx

I bought the THD to record the digital chans and HD and was surprised to learn that Brighthouse would not rent me a cablecard. After reading a lot of posts here about the various results of getting a CC from BHN, I persistently tried several times by phone, email and a walkin at office without any results. They said I had to upgrade to "Standard pkg" from Basic before I could get a CC. I am not interested in upgrading or getting more chans, so I declined each time.
I have been able to record the shows that my wife and I generally watch via manual recordings and season pass; they are really great. But, in the now playing list, they have no program info. I can get by this way, but it sure would be nice to see the qam chan programs/info on the guide.
Several questions:
1. Would a cablecard show the qam chans on the guide?
2. Is there a work around to get the qam chan program info?
3. Is Tivo working on a solution to this or is it practical for them to do so?
TIA,
MR
25Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 04:14 PM   #337
scottopus

Back on the Tivo Wagon

I'm getting ready to fire my BH DVR. I’ve purchased a used Tivo HD (Model #TCD652160). I currently have it setup and connected to my TV and broadband connection (wired). I plan on subscribing to Tivo service today.

I live in a new (2005) condo that has cable outlets in every room. The Tivo is to the same outlet as our cable modem. BH installed a splitter to goes to the modem and DVR. I’m planning on using the same connection to the BH DVR for the Tivo.

I called BH for the first time today to request a CableCARD. The associate (Carol) had knowledge of CablesCARDs and went over the price to install ($39.95) and cost of the card ($2.95). I told her that I read that there was an additional “device” charge for the cableCARD. She then informed me that I was correct and it was 0.95. I felt like I should have been provided this cost up front but that seems to be standard operating procedure for BH (try to find the DVR/HD DVR smart box charge on there website or on any printed material besides on your bill!). I asked to setup an installation appointment. She was able to schedule it for tomorrow late afternoon. I asked her if I could specify that I need an M-card. She said that she doesn’t know what the tech is going to have so I’ll have to ask them when they come.

Besides handing the installation sheet from Tivo and only letting them install 1 S-card at a time (hopefully I get an M-card), is there anything else I should be doing to insure a smooth install?

Thank you,

Scott

Last edited by scottopus : 10-09-2008 at 04:25 PM.
scottopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 12:05 AM   #338
Duke

Note

Just make sure they follow the installation sheet TO THE LETTER. Sometimes they like to short-cut it by sticking in both cards at the same time; a no-no.

Good luck.
Old 10-10-2008, 03:51 AM   #339
Roderigo

Quote:
Just make sure they follow the installation sheet TO THE LETTER. Sometimes they like to short-cut it by sticking in both cards at the same time; a no-no.
Technically, it works just fine to insert both cards at the same time. Realistically, it's easier to do one card at a time, so they don't get confused. So, I wouldn't go as far as to say it's a "no-no" just not ideal.
Roderigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 11:35 AM   #340
scottopus

Tivo HD up and running

Knight Contracting showed up about a half hour later than the 2 hour install window I was given from Brighthouse. The good part of that was I got the install ($39.95) for free but it did take 5 minutes of me explaining to the Brighthouse CSR that according to there website it should be free.

The installer said this was going to be his first Tivo install and was glad that I had the instructions printed out. I asked if he had any M-cards. His reply was that he didn't know but showed me the two cards. Both were SA cards with a production date from 2005 so I know they were S-cards. I asked if he had anymore cards in his truck and he said "no" .
We followed the directions exactly until it came to step 8 which was to call the cable company to activate the first card. I asked him if we could call it in, but he informed me he could only call Brighthouse once both cards were installed. Since my job isn't installing cableCARD's, I let my point be noted but didn't push for the call. We proceeded to install the second cableCARD without issue. He placed the cableCARD serial number bar codes on both his work order sheet and my instruction printout which I keep for my records. The install wrote the host ID beside each cable card serial number bar code as we went through the instructions. He then placed the call to Brighthouse to activate the cards. As soon as he finished on the phone, we tested each individual card to see if they were getting digital channels (channel 100), local HD channels (channel 628), and HD cable channels (channel 707). They were all there and he was on his way. The whole install lasted about 35 minutes and not calling in the first card in step eight didn't affect the install.

My only complaint is I didn’t get an M-card but Brighthouse never said that I would get one.

One thing I would like to pass along to the next person getting an install is to insure that all your cable connections are tight and have RG59 printed/stamped on them. I had some pixilation issues that are currently have been resolved by replacing a cable and tightening all the connections.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:42 PM   #341
lombard

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottopus View Post
One thing I would like to pass along to the next person getting an install is to insure that all your cable connections are tight and have RG59 printed/stamped on them. I had some pixilation issues that are currently have been resolved by replacing a cable and tightening all the connections.

I'd be willing to guess your pixelation was due to your connections and not your cable. I'm 100% RG6. I'd expect the likelihood of pixelation to be higher with RG59.
lombard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 03:18 PM   #342
scottopus

Quote:
I'd be willing to guess your pixelation was due to your connections and not your cable.
You are correct, I have a lower class cable (R59). So I guess it was the loose fittings. If I start to have problems, I switch them out for the R9. Thank you for the correction.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:52 PM   #343
scottopus

Well after five days, my cableCARD 1 came up with a “161 52” error and to call the cable company. What was interesting was that cableCARD 1 couldn’t tune into a couple of analog channels (22, 37, 51 & 54 that I recall and possible some digital but I didn’t check). CableCARD2 was able to tune into these channels per the cableCARD channel test. I called BH about the problem and error code and all they would tell me is if I reseated the cableCARDs. I lied to her and said I did knowing that Tivo says you shouldn’t unplug the cableCARDs. She then said that she’ll have to schedule a tech to come to the house. I asked her if she could “ping” the cards or check to see if the host ID/cableCARD numbers were correct. She said the only “diagnostic” thing she could do was ask if the cards were reseated. I figured I should make the appointment before trying to fix it myself. The first thing I did was to reboot the Tivo a couple times. This did have any effect on cableCARD1 ability to tune in those channels. Then I ran the cable from the Tivo directly to the wall outlet bypassing the BH installed cable modem splitter. This act seemed to restored the all the channels that I listed above on cableCARD 1. That worked for about an hour before it lost those channels again but this time on both cableCARD’s could tune in those analog stations. Since I was running out of things to try, I decided to reseated both cards and rebooted the Tivo. Now I know why Tivo say’s you shouldn’t remove the cards because I wasn’t able to tune in any channels after that point. So I admitted defeat and ejected both cableCARD’s and reran the set-up guild as without cableCARD’s. All the analog channels came back and worked so it looks like I’ll be that way until BH shows up on Sunday. No HD football games on Saturday
Old 10-21-2008, 11:17 AM   #344
scottopus

CableCARD Update

The serviceman called me about an hour before my service window on Sunday (10/19) to get directions and inquire about the problem. I explained to him the issues I was having with the newly installed cableCARD’s. He said the work order only said “TV doesn’t work” and didn’t say anything about cableCARD’s which is a problem since he didn’t have any cableCARD’s and the main office is closed. He then said that he would call around to some other trucks to see if they had any. After about half an hour he called back to tell me he wasn’t able to find any cableCARD’s and could we reschedule for Monday (10/20). I said that it wasn’t a problem and could he please bring an M-card since he has to get some anyway. He said he would try.

The serviceman arrived exactly on time and brought a couple of S-cards and one M-card. I asked if we could try the M-card first. He agreed and we inserted the M-card. Just as we wrote down the Host ID and card number, the card started downloading new firmware. During the firmware install, the servicemen called BH to set-up the new card and remove the two old cards. Since the firmware wasn’t done loading, he hung-up before testing any channels. As soon as firmware was complete, the cableCARD couldn’t see a single channel. He called back to BH and luckily got what seemed like a knowledgeable person. She explained that the previous person didn’t remove any of the other cards and the account was a “mess”. She asked the serviceman what we where keeping. I explained we had a BH DVR, a modem, and now this M-Card. While she was setting it up, the serviceman said that they have to put those items in the certain order so they work properly. As soon as she was done, the cableCARD worked.

So I currently have a working SA M-card in my Tivo HD. I’m going to keep my BH DVR for another week in case I have a problem. I can only hope that when I return the BH DVR it doesn’t screw anything up.

On a side note, I asked the serviceman what he thought of these cableCARD’s. He said that he has one in his personal TV and recommends them to people.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:30 AM   #345
Yogi76

I don't use a Tivo, but I do use two CableCARDs with my Windows Media Center and Digital Cable Tuners. Since the time I got these installed a few months ago, I have been missing the following HD channels:

Ch: 1335 Disney Channel HD
Ch: 1337 ABC Family HD
Ch: 1345 TLC HD
Ch: 1348 Science Channel HD

As well as the newly added:
Ch: 1324 CNNHD
Ch: 1331 ESPNUHD

Well, yesterday afternoon all these channels started to come in. I don't have the Tuning Adapter, and as far as I'm aware it won't work with the ATI Digital Cable Tuners anyway, so I don't think this has anything to do with SDV (Switched Digital Video). I just wanted to see if any fellow CFL Brighthouse CableCARD users are seeing the same thing.

Yogi
Yogi76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:57 PM   #346
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogi76 View Post
I don't use a Tivo, but I do use two CableCARDs with my Windows Media Center and Digital Cable Tuners. Since the time I got these installed a few months ago, I have been missing the following HD channels:

Well, yesterday afternoon all these channels started to come in. I don't have the Tuning Adapter, and as far as I'm aware it won't work with the ATI Digital Cable Tuners anyway, so I don't think this has anything to do with SDV (Switched Digital Video). I just wanted to see if any fellow CFL Brighthouse CableCARD users are seeing the same thing.

Yogi
Yep, it seems the missing HD channels are back in CFL. I learned about it here: <link to Nunzio's post>. I got messages stating I needed cable cards (which I have) to view those channels, but those messages went away after I pulled the power to my Tivo for a few moments. Once power was connected to the Tivo again, all channels were accessible (of course with the exception of the on-demand channels.)
orangeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 12:46 PM   #347
doubletee2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogi76 View Post

Yogi
I still can't get those channels on my Tivo HD here in Orlando. I decided not to fight it. I think you are right about SDV, though. I believe BH just doesn't want Tivo HD people to have these channels for whatever reason.
doubletee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 01:35 PM   #348
notnow117

i got 'em

I noticed they were coming in one of my TiVos, but not the other. So I called up BH and had them zap my cards, and sure enough the channels showed up.
notnow117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 09:03 PM   #349
therlin

Thanks for the heads up. I'm in Orlando and I am now getting these channels as well.
therlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 12:39 PM   #350
doubletee2

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubletee2 View Post
I still can't get those channels on my Tivo HD here in Orlando. I decided not to fight it. I think you are right about SDV, though. I believe BH just doesn't want Tivo HD people to have these channels for whatever reason.
Decided to give it one last try and power cycled my Tivo HD and it worked! I'm getting the missing channels. Now the question is, why did it take so long? If we get more HD channels, which is likely, will the same thing happen again? If there ever is some sort of cable service that REALLY allows the subscriber to bring their own hardware without limitations and provides all of their available content across the board, then I will be the first to sign up.
doubletee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 08:53 AM   #351
TiVoToo

Quote:
Originally Posted by therlin View Post
Thanks for the heads up. I'm in Orlando and I am now getting these channels as well.
Same here. Took long enough.
TiVoToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 10:23 AM   #352
guarh

I never had issues with channels listed above (Tampabay area) but most of the time I don't have A&E. Not that I watch that normally but I wanted to record The Andromeda Strain, the other day and couldn't. Reboot didn't help either, maybe I need to call BHN.
Old 12-18-2008, 03:35 PM   #353
tberry61

I'm getting a tad irritated with BH strongarm techniques here. With the digital change coming in February, BH is working dilligently on adding more HD channels. The problem is, these channels will NOT be available on cablecards. They are forcing us to move to their piece of crap DVR so that they can get us to buy Demand programs. I am only interested in what I'm paying for. On my bill has the plans listed. On their website has these channels listed for these plans. I want what I pay for. I inadvertantly (due to a mistake at their office) received a couple of the channels. When other channels didn't show up I had them come out. They said I was getting channels that I shouldn't. These channels weren't going to be available with CC's. But they obviously can be. They just won't do it.

Isn't this class action lawsuit material? Is anyone else having this problem?
tberry61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 03:48 PM   #354
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by tberry61 View Post
The problem is, these channels will NOT be available on cablecards.
I'm getting the newest HD channels (USA, SciFi, and Bravo) on my S3 and THD with CableCARDs just fine (Brighthouse, Pinellas County, FL).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:36 AM   #355
mthird

I just had two S-Cards installed yesterday in a TiVo HD and all of the new channels are available. The tech for BrightHouse Orlando went out of his way to find an M-Card, but wasn't able to find one.

I just received a call from him and he's on his way over with an M-Card. I'm more than pleased with the effort.
mthird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:59 PM   #356
jamesweber

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25Tango View Post
Several questions:
1. Would a cablecard show the qam chans on the guide?
2. Is there a work around to get the qam chan program info?
3. Is Tivo working on a solution to this or is it practical for them to do so?
TIA,
MR
1. NO I do not believe so
2. Not currently
3. Alot of people are complaining to TiVo that a QAM channel map is needed, but I have not heard anything official from TiVo.

The biggest problem with Clear QAM is that it is being rebroadcasted for free by the cable company, with that being the case they can broadcast on whatever channel they choose and can change it at anytime. So they are not required by the FCC to send in the channel information to anyone (ie. tribune media) so they don't
jamesweber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 03:42 AM   #357
TomRaz

Does anyone know if BHN in Pinellas counting is going to be getting and SDV tuning adapters in the near future ?
TomRaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:58 AM   #358
guarh

You may want to check this thread, at least for Central FL
Old 07-09-2009, 05:21 PM   #359
shefftom

I have been a TiVo customer for over 5 years, I have 2 series 2 and 2 HD TiVo's. I am being pushed to drop TiVo by Brighthouse Networks. They have been to my house 5 times to install cable cards in two HD TiVo's and claim they can't configure them. They blame it on TiVo. They refuse to read the installation instructions or call TiVo support. Today, day 5, they installed two tuner adapters ahead of the HD TiVo's. Still don't work. I have been on the phone three times, talked to a dozen people. Tried to escalate to a higher level, got a supervisor who did not know what a TiVo was (she said she did, but she thought it was a type of TV). I had TiVo cable support rep on the line with me, she said it was incredulous.

I live in Polk County between Tampa and Orlando and I am on BH Tampabay. I wish TiVo had laisons with Brighthouse that could advocate. The installer told me there were only 3 customers in my county of 516,000 with HD TiVo on BHN. Kept pressing me about just getting a BH DVR instead.

I guess part of the problem is that BH in my area must have started SDV. I read the info on line at TiVo and I am sure that my software is up to date and shoud support it. The tuner adapters are installed, but when I try to access HD content (other than the local HD stations) the cable card configuration screen comes up, which means they still not configured the cards.

They screwed up my original HD TiVo by pulling the two cards out of it and trying to make it work with the new HD TiVo. That ruined the configuration on the original set. These people really don't know what they are doing.

Can anyone suggest any connections with Brighthouse? I am leaning toward giving up the fight at this point.
shefftom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 07:06 PM   #360
lrhorer

Quote:
The contractor said that the tool is like $2K
For a fairly low end SLM, yes.

Quote:
which sounds ridiculous to me.
'Try building one yourself, some time. 'Expect the final bill to run 5 figures, though. Building an accurate and stable meter able to measure signal strength +/- less than 0.5dB from 5MHz to 1000MHz is not an easy task.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote