TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-01-2008, 11:21 AM   #211
ajwees41

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagware View Post
If they don't do SDV, then why do you care when they'll be releasing the adapter? Just curious.

Dan
All I meant was he probably means areas that have deployed sdv will get them first followed by the other areas just a guess.
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 12:56 PM   #212
Saxion
Substantive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagware View Post
If they don't do SDV, then why do you care when they'll be releasing the adapter? Just curious.
The tuning adapter maintains its own channel map, which might allow the TiVo to associate guide data to clear QAM (basic tier) cable channels in the absence of CableCARDs. This is a potential use of the adapter that is unrelated to SDV.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:05 PM   #213
Combat Medic
No guts, no glory

Wow. So, I sent a fax to the President of Time Warner San Antonio about a month ago trying to get into the beta for the Tuning Resolver. Since I hadn't heard anything I figured I would call and talk to somebody in his office. So I dial their operator number and I'm given an option for if you know the name but not the extension. I press that and put in the last name of the region's president. One automated transfer later and I'm talking to him. Not an underling, him.

I explained what I'm looking for and either him or the VP of Engineering is going to call me back.

Wow.
Combat Medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 01:32 PM   #214
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxion View Post
The tuning adapter maintains its own channel map, which might allow the TiVo to associate guide data to clear QAM (basic tier) cable channels in the absence of CableCARDs. This is a potential use of the adapter that is unrelated to SDV.
That’s a possibility if the system already does SDV.

But if it’s a non-sdv system is it at all likely they will stock adapters and set up their head ends to work nicely with an adapter? Seems hard enough to get an adapter if the system has sdv….
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 05:40 PM   #215
Saxion
Substantive Member

Very true Michael. It's uncertain when, or even if, a particular MSO would supply tuning adapters if SDV were not yet deployed. But the economic incentive of SDV is extremely compelling, so it should become ubiquitous eventually. If an MSO were preparing for SDV, they might stock and support TA's early.

Of course, most CSRs barely know what a CableCARD is, let alone a tuning adapter. So if they stock them at all, you could probably keep calling until you find a CSR that would send one to you even if they don't do SDV yet, or if you don't subscribe to digital cable.

Last edited by Saxion : 10-01-2008 at 06:06 PM.
Saxion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 08:28 PM   #216
Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combat Medic View Post
Wow. So, I sent a fax to the President of Time Warner San Antonio about a month ago trying to get into the beta for the Tuning Resolver. Since I hadn't heard anything I figured I would call and talk to somebody in his office. So I dial their operator number and I'm given an option for if you know the name but not the extension. I press that and put in the last name of the region's president. One automated transfer later and I'm talking to him. Not an underling, him.

I explained what I'm looking for and either him or the VP of Engineering is going to call me back.

Wow.
If you get more information, hook a brother up! Dying here w/o the majority of the HD channels!
Enforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 09:22 AM   #217
milo99

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogger22 View Post
I spoke on the phone with the Cox sales department this evening (Sep. 30) and they seemed to be well aware of the SDV/CableCard issue. He indicated that the SDV tuning adapters would be available here in Fairfax, VA, on Oct. 10, 2008. He was pretty sure that they were being rolled out nationally to all Cox systems at about the same time. Cox-VA customers should call tech support to order one, after Oct. 10. I asked if a technician needed to deliver/install the adapter, but he said no. They would probably just mail it to me. I am keeping my fingers crossed.
i called tech support yesterday. the guy had no earthly clue what i was talking about. he put me on hold to look up his info, and he apparently found something to clue him in as to what the SDV and cable card issue is, but then said they had no info on the adapter rolling out.

sigghhhhhhh
milo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 04:08 PM   #218
Combat Medic
No guts, no glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enforcer View Post
If you get more information, hook a brother up! Dying here w/o the majority of the HD channels!
I do plan to.
Combat Medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:42 PM   #219
skaggs
AlbanyHDTV

I have become friendly with the lead TWC tech here in Albany,NY. He is very knowledgeable with cable card issues and has come over to my house personally when I was going through same mapping issues. I called him on his cell phone this afternoon and asked if he has heard anything about implementation of Tuning Adapters, but he had not.

I volunteered to be a beta tester and he requested that I call him every few weeks to see if there is any new news.

It took me a while to finally find a person at TWC that is knowledgeable about cable cards and it is a relief not having to go through the uninformed reps at the call center to reach someone "in the know". However, it is a little frustrating when we here in the TiVo Community seem to know more about cable card & tuning adapter issues than the employees of TWC.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:16 PM   #220
theSTEREO.

I'm a Time Warner customer in Northeast Ohio.

I called TWC about two weeks ago, and after a few phone calls and some long waits, I finally found someone that knew about the adapters. TWC is switching to SDV for a few channels on Oct 20, and I got a letter stating that they will have the adapters likely free of charge "later in 2008". (The letter came about 3 or 4 weeks ago).

The guy said that he did not know what date they expected to receive the adapters, but said to hang on to the letter i got because i might be asked to use it as a coupon to pick up an adapter when they are available.

Has anyone else heard anything about NE Ohio adapters being available yet?
theSTEREO. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 12:29 PM   #221
realityboy

I live in Southwest Ohio's region, and we got the letter quite a bit ago. It said they would start SDV on August 15 for several lesser used channels (there was a list). As of right now, I can still get all of those channels with my cablecards minus one I was having trouble with anyway. Possibly they are testing on that one. No word on adapters yet.
realityboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 01:23 PM   #222
skaggs
AlbanyHDTV

Albany TWC has been using SDV since September 2006. So, it has been over two years for those of us with cable cards in our TiVos not being able to receive all the channels available. At last count, there were 121 channels being sent via SDV here, of which 35 are HD channels.

Maybe you can understand why those of us whose local cable monopoly has been heavily using SDV for a long time are very frustrated TiVo owners. We've been hearing about that damn tuning resolver "coming soon" for what seems liek just as long as we have had cable cards.

While I can sympathsize with those of you who received letters that "SDV will be starting soon", I don't believe anyone has been impacted more by SDV than the cable card users in TWC's leading markets in Texas, North Carolina, and Upstate NY. (where SDV has been implemented the longest)
Old 10-03-2008, 01:40 PM   #223
cableguy763

Austin launched SDV in 2004. The first switched video market in the world.
cableguy763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 02:00 PM   #224
theSTEREO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaggs View Post
Albany TWC has been using SDV since September 2006. So, it has been over two years for those of us with cable cards in our TiVos not being able to receive all the channels available. At last count, there were 121 channels being sent via SDV here, of which 35 are HD channels.

Maybe you can understand why those of us whose local cable monopoly has been heavily using SDV for a long time are very frustrated TiVo owners. We've been hearing about that damn tuning resolver "coming soon" for what seems liek just as long as we have had cable cards.

While I can sympathsize with those of you who received letters that "SDV will be starting soon", I don't believe anyone has been impacted more by SDV than the cable card users in TWC's leading markets in Texas, North Carolina, and Upstate NY. (where SDV has been implemented the longest)
I hear you.

However, I think there is finally a ray of hope for everyone now that the Tuning Adapter is officially built, available, and being tested. Empty promises in the past had nothing to back them up, but the fact that SA and Motorola have actually built these things should mean that they'll be distributed soon.

I don't think both companies are going to produce them, then let them just rot on the shelves.
theSTEREO. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 02:34 PM   #225
rv65

San Diego has been using SDV but only for a few months. They are planning more SDV channels. Time Warner San Diego says 10 to 15 new HD channels by next year. Thats what the head guy says. They will probably use SDV so that they can get more bandwidth. Maybe a newer network could work. They were also looking at reclaming the expanded basic tier for even more bandwidth next year.
rv65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 07:23 AM   #226
lreinstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaggs View Post

I am new to this discussion but am very impacted by the SDV issue. We live in TW Albany country and are even thinking about giving up and going back to the horrible TW DVR. (Has this improved any I wonder?)

Anyway, is there no LEGAL issue involved here? Has TIVO tried to stand up for its rights and its customers rights with the FCC or in court?
lreinstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 08:17 AM   #227
skaggs
AlbanyHDTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreinstein View Post
I am new to this discussion but am very impacted by the SDV issue. We live in TW Albany country and are even thinking about giving up and going back to the horrible TW DVR. (Has this improved any I wonder?)

Anyway, is there no LEGAL issue involved here? Has TIVO tried to stand up for its rights and its customers rights with the FCC or in court?
A ray of hope: The Tuning Adapter was made available to Comcast customers in Cherry Hill, NJ today. Link to post.

I placed a call to one of the head technicians in Albany TWC last week and he had not been informed of a distribution date, but did know what is tuning adapter was.

While the whole SDV issue has me upset with TWC, at least a resolution should come soon. The first LEGAL issue TiVo should look into is how the cable operators have been marking EVERY DIGITAL CHANNEL (except locals) with a copy protection flag (CCI byte) of 0x02. By doing so, Albany TWC has effectively negated some of the best features of a TiVo: TiVo-To-Go and Multiroom Viewing. Here's a link to a thread: Copy Protection Flag with TWC.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:08 AM   #228
frogger22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwees41 View Post
What about areas that don't do SDV yet like Omaha?
I did not ask about non-SDV markets. I referenced the letter from Cox of Arizona that indicated they would be available at the end of the summer. The Fairfax sales rep. said they too were planning to deploy about that time, but it got push back for reasons unknown to him. He further explained that while each region operates independently, they attempt to roll out new technology to all markets at about the same time, unless there is technical reason preventing it.

This rep. seemed to know what he was talking about. I guess I will find out at the end of the week if this is true.
frogger22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 09:46 AM   #229
frogger22

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabby46 View Post
I hope you are telling the truth... Did he say that you would need to call ahead to reserve one, or that all of us with Cablecards would get one or be alerted when available?

Ill be calling here in about 5 min to check on this info...
I am only relaying what I was told, so I cannot state that what I was told is correct. I hope that he was, however the training and knowledge among their staff is not even, so it is no wonder that the story changes from day to day.
frogger22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 01:52 PM   #230
Rayd8tor

TWC - San Antonio

Well I just spent 30 minutes on the phone with a Lvl 3 tech support, and he was pretty much clueless on the status of the adapter. He said that the two-way cable cards would all but negate the need for the adapter, but that to his knowledge there were no plans to depoly these cards in anything other than the 8300. He had not heard anything at all about the adapter, which is very discouraging here in San Antonio. If anyone has any current info on the South Texas I would love to hear it. I just can't comprehend how comcast can be prepping to deploy these things and no one from TWC seems to have any concrete information about them.

Brian
Rayd8tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 02:27 PM   #231
fishnose

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo99 View Post
i called tech support yesterday. the guy had no earthly clue what i was talking about. he put me on hold to look up his info, and he apparently found something to clue him in as to what the SDV and cable card issue is, but then said they had no info on the adapter rolling out.

sigghhhhhhh
I got the same absence of knowledge from tech support and the supervisors he checked with. I asked to be transferred to a customer retention/loyalty customer service representative who knew nothing about an adapter but was promising two-way cable cards by the end of the quarter (November 2008) and a likely notice to all who use cable cards (whether as a separate mailing or inserts within the cable bill).

Essentially, it appears that Cox continues to leave its managers and others in the dark and is otherwise just working to keep up the promise that "the check is in the mail".
fishnose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 02:48 PM   #232
milo99

Quote:
I am only relaying what I was told, so I cannot state that what I was told is correct. I hope that he was, however the training and knowledge among their staff is not even, so it is no wonder that the story changes from day to day.
hehe that's the understatement of the day.

Can you report back when you get any update/news?
milo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 03:20 PM   #233
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayd8tor View Post
Well I just spent 30 minutes on the phone with a Lvl 3 tech support, and he was pretty much clueless on the status of the adapter. He said that the two-way cable cards would all but negate the need for the adapter, but that to his knowledge there were no plans to depoly these cards in anything other than the 8300.
After that statement you should have just thanked him and hung up since just by that statement it shows he knows nothing about cableCARDs. There's no such thing as a two-way cable card. There's only two different types of cards S-CARDs and M-CARDs and both are two-way compatible. The reason two-way works in the 8300, is because the 8300 is two-way capable.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 10:39 AM   #234
Rayd8tor

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
After that statement you should have just thanked him and hung up since just by that statement it shows he knows nothing about cableCARDs. There's no such thing as a two-way cable card. There's only two different types of cards S-CARDs and M-CARDs and both are two-way compatible. The reason two-way works in the 8300, is because the 8300 is two-way capable.
I know. It just boggles my mind how everytime you call these people(TWC) they know NOTHING at all about all this. I mean TWC is a major player. You would think that with comcast sending out letters to customers that they would at least have some information on the website or be sending out some information about the device themselves. The only letters I receive from them are my monthly bill and notifications of the upcoming digital broadcasting changes. My father recently turneed in his 8300. He finally had enough of that POS, and all it's shortcomings and ordered a TIVO. He hates the fact he will lose alot of his HD channels, but like all of us, he just wants a DVR that WORKS like it should. We can now add one more to the list of people that are forceably waiting for this adapter to be released or some up to date information about it.
Rayd8tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 04:05 PM   #235
JacksTiVo
TiVo User since 2001

Last Spring I filed a complaint with the FCC in regard to Cablevision moving channels to SDV prior to providing an alternative to TiVo owners with CableCards. I had filed the complaint after Cablevision gave me the "brush-off" when I told them that they were making my TiVo S3 obsolete. I subsequently left Cablevision in May and switched to Verizon FiOS.

I just received a copy of the Cablevision letter they sent the FCC in answer to my complaint. The letter does mention my disconnecting from their service, however, they stated "...we did want to address the substance of his complaint."

The letter went on to stated "...Cablevision is in compliance with the FCC regulations for supporting CableCard technology and delivering programming to customers who purchase third party Digital Cable Ready (DCR) CableCard devices such as Digital Televisions (DTV'S) and digital video recorders (DVRs). CableLabs, the cable industry's research and development consortium, recently certified Switched Digital Video tuning resolvers developed by Cisco Systems and Motorola that are designed to give third-party devices like TiVo DVR's access to switched TV channels. The new hardware is intended to work with any Unidirectional Digital Cable Ready Product (UDCP) that has a USB connector and necessary firmware. Cablevision will update customers on the availability of this device in the coming months."

The letter states they are in compliance in the coming months. I would described that as a grammatical syntax error. The letter should state that they will be in compliance in the coming months, i.e. after the tuner resolvers are deployed.

In any event, Cablevision will be deploying the tuner resolver for those of you who do not have an alternative service such as FiOS.

Roamio Plus - Jan. 2014 - w/Lifetime Service
Two - Mini units - Sept. '14 & Oct. '14
FiOS Service
Lifetime Units that have been sold:
Sony SVR2000 S1, Two - S2 and One - S3

JacksTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 09:14 PM   #236
MichaelK

If you typed correctly it says they are in compliance.

I beleive that legally that is true- they are in compliance with the letter of the regulations. The regulations say nothing at all one way or the other about sdv.

The debate I think is if SDV breaks the spirit of the regulation.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:22 PM   #237
vstone

CFR mentions encrypted, scrambled, and 'in the clear.' when talking about the basic tier. I don't think it says much about other digital channels except to address the PSIP stream for in the clear channels. One wonders who actually wrote that part and if was specifically writtten not to address the issue of SDV.
vstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 02:48 PM   #238
MichaelK

I think most of the relevent cable regulating CFR's where updated based on the 1996 telecommunications act.

Since SDV didn't really exist then it's not nutty that it's not included.

Some things have been updated since then but as a result of particular rulings. Since there hasn't been any rulings that I'm aware about SDV and 2-way and ocap vs the CE DVR+ then none of the regs where updated.

getting regs updated takes forever for most governemnt agencies. OSHA as an example is still using some things that date back to 1970ish which were based on data from like the 1950's and 1960's and hasn't gotten around to updating them yet. Considering the OSHA regs effect workers health and safety, it doesn't surprise me at all that something like cable tv regs are now 10-12 years old and out of date.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:48 AM   #239
skaggs
AlbanyHDTV

I don't know whether to post this in the Time Warner thread or the SDV Adapter Progress thread:

After calling all my contacts at Albany TWC this week, I finally got a return call from one of the lead technicians. He told me that TWC is currently testing the device in their Charlotte, NC office. He also told me they don't expect to release the Tuning Adapters until next year.

He indicated he was on the Engadget HD site and saw that I was the first person to comment on the post.

I explained that both the Austin, TX and San Antonio, TX TWC divisions are offering to pre-order the tuning adapters on their websites.

It is somewhat of a relief to talk to someone at Albany TWC who is at least aware of the existence of the Tuning Adapters. I'm still hopeful that we may have these things before Santa comes to visit.

Last edited by skaggs : 10-10-2008 at 09:55 AM.
skaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 10:09 AM   #240
Revolutionary
Too sleepy for TV...

Quote:
I spoke on the phone with the Cox sales department this evening (Sep. 30) and they seemed to be well aware of the SDV/CableCard issue. He indicated that the SDV tuning adapters would be available here in Fairfax, VA, on Oct. 10, 2008. He was pretty sure that they were being rolled out nationally to all Cox systems at about the same time. Cox-VA customers should call tech support to order one, after Oct. 10. I asked if a technician needed to deliver/install the adapter, but he said no. They would probably just mail it to me. I am keeping my fingers crossed.
Well, its Oct. 10.

I just called Cox Fairfax and spoke with Tech Support and Sales. The tech support lady (Wanda) had no freaking clue what I was talking about -- she didn't even know that CableCard devices don't get all of Cox's channels (seriously?!? in tech support?!? wtf?!? what if some Tivo noob called and said "I'm not getting SciFi-HD!" she'd run him through 30 minutes of rebooting and reconnecting and blah blah blah...).

Wanda transfered me to sales. I didn't get the guy's name. He said they were informed about the SDV adapters about 6 months ago, but they haven't heard anything since.

I suggest we all call today. If you get someone who knows anything at all about the availability of an adapter, post their name (and an extension, if you can get it).