TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-07-2008, 02:08 PM   #61
weaknees

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmal0723 View Post
As for a picture of the back of it, I can happily grab you one tonight if you need it.
That would be great!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
weaknees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 02:10 PM   #62
weaknees

Sorry - didn't see that picture on the Comcast site, but there IS a picture of the back here.

But thanks in any event . . .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:47 PM   #63
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

jtmal0723, can you confirm that the back panel appears essentially the same as in Cisco's specsheet (which has a warning that it might not look that way in real life )?

"
" -- hookbill
mikeyts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 03:58 PM   #64
jtmal0723

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyts View Post
jtmal0723, can you confirm that the back panel appears essentially the same as in Cisco's specsheet (which has a warning that it might not look that way in real life )?
That's what it looks like, I can confirm that.
jtmal0723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 06:13 PM   #65
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayfest View Post
When the Comcast (South Jersey) guy showed up today to install my Tuning Adapter, he informed me that SDV had been turned on already, but not yet for Cable Cards, which is why I have had no problem getting all the channels on my TiVo HD, even without the Adapter. It sounded like the switchover for Cable Cards might be in about a month, so we'll see what happens then.
I though that the Tuning Adapter downloads its own channel list separate from the Cable Cards. If so then Comcast could leave the channels off the cableCARD listing and the TA would pick them up so only people with the TA would even see them listed.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 07:46 PM   #66
jtmal0723

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
I though that the Tuning Adapter downloads its own channel list separate from the Cable Cards. If so then Comcast could leave the channels off the cableCARD listing and the TA would pick them up so only people with the TA would even see them listed.
I hope it's that simple :/
Old 10-07-2008, 09:25 PM   #67
MichaelK

Quote:
I doubt it, the rep at the Comcast payment center looked to make sure I had CableCARDs before she went into the back to get an adapter for me.

did she take any info from the tuning adapters (like serial number or mac address or something) and add it to your account?
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 09:48 PM   #68
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelK View Post
did she take any info from the tuning adapters (like serial number or mac address or something) and add it to your account?
He said earlier in this thread that they scanned the box so presumably it was attached to the account this way.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 12:20 AM   #69
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by aine View Post
How big is this thing? From the photo, it looks pretty large.
CableCARD was supposed to allow me to get rid of a big ugly, power sucking, cable box. Alas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyts View Post
Cisco's specsheet for the STA1520[/url] gives it's dimensions as 11.75"x8"x1.75"
Wow, it's a monster. I too thought we'd be getting a dongle of some sort. But this is another piece of video equipment.

I have an incredibly simple setup. A TiVo S3 below the HDTV. Mounted on the wall, wires hidden, clean, stark.

No more.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 12:58 AM   #70
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Wow, it's a monster. I too thought we'd be getting a dongle of some sort. But this is another piece of video equipment.

I have an incredibly simple setup. A TiVo S3 below the HDTV. Mounted on the wall, wires hidden, clean, stark.

No more.
Hey, you can always eschew use of the Tuning Adapter and settle for the non-switched services in your system, maintaining clean, sparse estethics of your setup. Again, I could care less how big it is as long as I get back the channels I've lost access to.

"
" -- hookbill
Old 10-08-2008, 02:06 AM   #71
rv65

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post

No more.
No IR receiver so you could be creative and find a way to hide this. The one for Motorola networks is much smaller. That one is the size of a Cable modem. This one is big but again no IR receiver. Then again you have to have a cisco network in order to use this one.
rv65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 02:12 AM   #72
jtmal0723

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv65 View Post
Then again you have to have a cisco network in order to use this one.
Please elaborate on this, because it's too vague a statement. If you're referring to SciAtl cablecards, then yes, that is true.
Old 10-08-2008, 02:14 AM   #73
rv65

Quote:
Please elaborate on this, because it's too vague a statement. If you're referring to SciAtl cablecards, then yes, that is true.
Yes I am referring to using this only on cisco networks. The Cisco models are designed for SA/Cisco Headends while the Motorola one works on Motorola headends. This applies to both Cable Cards and the tuning resolver.
rv65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 07:34 AM   #74
Jimbo713
CreaTiVoty!

Please! TWC in San Antonio - Are there any TWC/San Antonio employees reading this forum? I can't get a whisper out of the local office, but do have written confirmation from TWC Corporate lawyers that the tuning resolver is coming by the end of the year. You'd think that somebody in the local office would see something coming down the road soon.

TiVo Premiere with My DVR Expander HD
HD-TiVo

Last edited by Jimbo713 : 10-09-2008 at 12:21 PM.
Jimbo713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 04:38 PM   #75
ajayabb

Just installed my 2 Cisco Tuning adapters today. Just more wires to deal with. Coax in/Coax out USB Cable to Tivo and Power Supply Cable. Would have been nice if they had supplied an extra Coax to run to the Tivo, but then again, the units were free.

2 Roamio Plus Tivos
1 Tivo Mini
Running Pytivo and Streambaby
ajayabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 04:45 PM   #76
weaknees

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayabb View Post
Just installed my 2 Cisco Tuning adapters today. Just more wires to deal with. Coax in/Coax out USB Cable to Tivo and Power Supply Cable. Would have been nice if they had supplied an extra Coax to run to the Tivo, but then again, the units were free.
I was assuming they'd include a coax patch cable - pretty surprising that they don't. I guess that they expect it to be installed by the cable guy, who can just make a patch cable on-site.

Old 10-08-2008, 05:02 PM   #77
Corran Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayabb View Post
Is that 2 per Tivo? 1 for each CableCard?
Old 10-08-2008, 05:10 PM   #78
jtmal0723

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corran Horn View Post
Is that 2 per Tivo? 1 for each CableCard?
No. You only need 1 adapter per TiVo.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:00 PM   #79
ewilts
Who, me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aine View Post
And I wonder how much power it consumes.
15w max according to http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/coll...28/7013834.pdf

.../Ed
ewilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 12:24 PM   #80
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

You guys who have these things--TiVo added a Tuning Adapter menu item under Messages & Settings->Account & System Information. What do you see when access this? If you can post some pictures of the dialog or dialogs displayed as you walk through that section, I'm sure that we're all curious . (If you can't post pictures, describe it as thoroughly as possible).

Thanks!

"
" -- hookbill
Old 10-09-2008, 02:18 PM   #81
jtmal0723

Here are some screenshots... The test channels pages are exactly the same as they are for the test channels for cablecards.... The Tuning Adapter Diagnostics page has waaaaaaay too many pages for me to screenshot them all, and the max attachment upload here is 3 images. I hope these images help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tuningadapter.jpg (24.2 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg dvrdiag.jpg (31.3 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg tadiag.jpg (32.1 KB, 156 views)
Old 10-09-2008, 03:29 PM   #82
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Here are some screenshots... The test channels pages are exactly the same as they are for the test channels for cablecards.... The Tuning Adapter Diagnostics page has waaaaaaay too many pages for me to screenshot them all, and the max attachment upload here is 3 images. I hope these images help.
Thanks for taking the time to collect and post those.

"
" -- hookbill
Old 10-09-2008, 04:58 PM   #83
matt@thehickmans
Hemo_jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewilts View Post
With a more efficient design, the tuning adapters would be able to run on standard USB power, eliminating wiring clutter while being greener. Maybe the next generation of TAs will do this.

And, because the tuning adapter is two way, it should have the ability to automate the cable card pairing process. But from what I read into the TiVo FAQ, this also may have to wait.

And while I am wishing for features, why does each box need a dedicated TA? If you have multiple TiVos on a LAN, they can talk to each other and can potentially share a TA just like my computer shares its USB connected printer.
matt@thehickmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 05:09 PM   #84
OneGr8Mick
The Reverend Mick

how come when I call 1800 comcast and reference the tivo letter they have no idea what a tuning adapter or a tivo letter is
Old 10-09-2008, 05:12 PM   #85
jtmal0723

It would depend on where you are. Right now, they are testing it in certain areas. It's possible that the specific call center might not know anything about it yet or something. I have no idea.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:44 PM   #86
OneGr8Mick
The Reverend Mick

but 1800 comcast is a national number, and I called from a nj area code phone.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:46 PM   #87
jtmal0723

I really don't have an answer to that. I never called for a truckroll, I just went down to the payment center in the letter itself and requested it.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:52 PM   #88
OneGr8Mick
The Reverend Mick

I would love to try that but from where I am its an hour drive to the equipment center and not in the mood to make it for nill
Old 10-09-2008, 06:07 PM   #89
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneGr8Mick View Post
I would love to try that but from where I am its an hour drive to the equipment center and not in the mood to make it for nill
You need to get a hold of someone local. The national number isn't going to be of much help.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 06:22 PM   #90
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneGr8Mick View Post
Did you receive the letter?

"
" -- hookbill