TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-04-2008, 01:37 PM   #1
jtmal0723

Letter from Comcast RE: SDV

I just received a letter today from Comcast regarding Switched Digital Video and getting an adapter, which reads:

Quote:
October 3, 2008

Dear Valued Customer:

As a part of a system upgrade in your area this fall, we are introducing an exciting new way of delivering video programming to your home, called Switched Digital Video (SDV).

Currently our system sends all channels simultaneously, all the time, whether they are being viewed or not. SDV is a two-way video technology that lets us deliver individual channels over our fiber optic network at the moment you tune to them. This new technology will allow us to expand the services we offer our customers, including by providing more high-definition programming and faster internet speeds.

Because SDV is a two-way interactive technology, you will not be able to view SDV channels using one-way devices such as your TiVo equipment without some additional assistance. To ensure that you will be able use all the features of your TiVo equipment and enjoy all the channels you currently receive, Comcast, in partnership with TiVo, has developed a special tuning adapter to use with your TiVo equipment.

Starting on October 6, 2008, you can bring this letter to one of your local Comcast payment centers at:

[centers vary by area]

where we will give you a tuning adapter at no additional cost. Or, you can call us at 1-800-COMCAST and refer to "the TiVo letter," and we will schedule an appointment for a technician to visit your home to install it for free. Representatives are available by phone 24/7 to assist with any questions you may have.

Please refer to the FAQ section of this letter for more information on SDV. Remember, you can reach us 24 hours a day, seven days a week at 1-800-COMCAST or chat with us online at www.comcast.com.

Thank you for being a Comcast customer!
Has anyone else received a letter like this, whether from Comcast or not? It does give a list, that varies by area, of what channels would be affected too... It looks like I'm going down to a payment center on Monday to get an adapter and tell about my experiences installing it. Should be interesting!

Last edited by jtmal0723 : 10-04-2008 at 01:55 PM.
jtmal0723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 01:50 PM   #2
debtoine
WTTWDC

What state are you in? I'll have to ask my friends who have Comcast if they've received a similar letter (where we are, it's Cablevision).

I do hope Cablevision follows Comcast's lead and gives them to us at no additional cost as well.

deb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
debtoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 01:55 PM   #3
jtmal0723

I'm in the Comcast of Garden State area, which is around Cherry Hill, NJ
Old 10-04-2008, 01:57 PM   #4
pin87a

I received the same letter from Comcast (South Jersey / Cherry Hill / Scientific Atlanta area) this morning.
Came here expecting to see some horror stories involving the 'Tuning Adapters', but was surprised to see none. I guess we are some of the first guinea pigs in this experiment? Uh oh.. Considering how hard it was for Comcast to even get my TiVo working in the first place I can't imagine this is going to go smoothly
pin87a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 02:04 PM   #5
jtmal0723

We shall see how simple this is, I have an idea how it may work, but I'm unsure myself.
Old 10-04-2008, 02:08 PM   #6
Jimbo713
CreaTiVoty!

Great! Time Warner could be next (fingers crossed)!

TiVo Premiere with My DVR Expander HD
HD-TiVo
Jimbo713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 03:07 PM   #7
rainwater

I like the fact that you can pick it up, thus not requiring a truck roll.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 05:22 PM   #8
ajayabb

Just received my letter today here in Moorestown. I will try to pick 2 up next week...

2 Roamio Plus Tivos
1 Tivo Mini
Running Pytivo and Streambaby
ajayabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 05:24 PM   #9
TriBruin

TC CLUB MEMBER
I am just happy to see that Comcast (and hopefully other cable companies) are not hiding the SDV Tuner and actively promoting it.
TriBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 05:44 PM   #10
morac
Cat God

Cherry Hill is one of 2 (3?) SDV test areas. My guess is that they are expanding the test to the entire "Comcast of Garden State" system (Cisco).

I'm in the Burlington System (Motorola) so no SDV for me most likely (for now).
morac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 05:47 PM   #11
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBlount View Post
I am just happy to see that Comcast (and hopefully other cable companies) are not hiding the SDV Tuner and actively promoting it.
They're probably sending that letter out to every CableCARD sub. Why would they "hide" the Tuning Adapter? Distributing it helps them retain TiVo-addicted subs, and to sell them services which they offer primarily as switched broadcasts.

"
" -- hookbill
mikeyts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 07:54 PM   #12
jayfest
Not-so-New Member

I also live in South Jersey and got this letter today. I immediately called Comcast and I have a guy coming to my house this Monday (free) to check on the Multi-Stream cable card I have in my TiVo HD. In the meantime, I still seem to be getting signals on my HD from the 100 or so channels the letter said I might lose. I suppose I could have installed this tuning adapter myself, but if they're offering a free service call so promptly, I'll take it.
jayfest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 08:20 PM   #13
TriBruin

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyts View Post
They're probably sending that letter out to every CableCARD sub. Why would they "hide" the Tuning Adapter? Distributing it helps them retain TiVo-addicted subs, and to sell them services which they offer primarily as switched broadcasts.
After all support cable companies gave to install Cablecards in S3s at the beginning, call me cynical.
TriBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 12:19 AM   #14
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBlount View Post
After all support cable companies gave to install Cablecards in S3s at the beginning, call me cynical.
Times change and business gets tighter.
What used to be competitors now become loose partners against even more dangerous competitor - eg satellite companies.
Old 10-05-2008, 12:30 AM   #15
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

The entire "Tuning Adapter Initiative", which has required over a year from conception to deliver (pretty high pace for this industry) is designed to help assuage complaints to the FCC by CableCARD-using subs and to fight off the NCTA's "Digital Cable Ready Plus" proposal. If they made it difficult to get, or charged anything more than a nominal fee, the effort would seem disingenuous.

"
" -- hookbill
Old 10-05-2008, 07:22 AM   #16
husky55

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
Cherry Hill is one of 2 (3?) SDV test areas. My guess is that they are expanding the test to the entire "Comcast of Garden State" system (Cisco).

I'm in the Burlington System (Motorola) so no SDV for me most likely (for now).
Any idea if CT is Cisco or Motorola system? All Comcast STB in CT are Motorola, but I don't think Cisco makes STB.

I did not receive any letter from Comcast.

Tivo Premiere Lifetime with M-Card, WD20EADS
Tivo HD Lifetime with M-Card
Samsung Ecogreen F4 HD204UI
husky55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 07:36 AM   #17
dylanemcgregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky55 View Post
Any idea if CT is Cisco or Motorola system? All Comcast STB in CT are Motorola, but I don't think Cisco makes STB.

I did not receive any letter from Comcast.
Cisco bought Scientific Atlantic a while back.
dylanemcgregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 03:33 PM   #18
bohbot16

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky55 View Post
Danbury uses Scientific Atlanta (Cisco) STBs
bohbot16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 03:38 PM   #19
timstack8969

So I'm asuming that if you can pick up your tuning adapter on October 6th they will start using SDV on October 6th??? Does this go for Barrington, NJ?
timstack8969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 06:22 PM   #20
jtmal0723

saying they're available starting the 6th doesn't mean they're going to immediately flip the switch on that day.
Old 10-05-2008, 06:54 PM   #21
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmal0723 View Post
saying they're available starting the 6th doesn't mean they're going to immediately flip the switch on that day.
I'm sure that they have the system set up, though they might not be presenting any services as publicly available switched broadcasts yet. They will have been testing it for months before rolling it out to subs.

"
" -- hookbill
Old 10-05-2008, 08:34 PM   #22
morac
Cat God

Cherry Hill is running SDV right now and has been for some time. I'm not sure how hard it is to expand that to the entire Garden State Cable system.
morac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 02:30 PM   #23
jtmal0723

I got my adapter today... It's a Cisco STA1520... I've got it plugged into the tivo now and everything and am going to see what this is all about

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/05/19...apter-sta1520/ <= for more info on my adapter
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/coll...28/7013834.pdf <= data sheet

Last edited by jtmal0723 : 10-06-2008 at 02:52 PM.
Old 10-06-2008, 02:36 PM   #24
jtmal0723

It works. The TiVo says it's operational and everything so all is good! Thumbs up to Comcast.
Old 10-06-2008, 03:07 PM   #25
MickeS

Good to hear, for all you poor suckers still using cable.
MickeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 04:25 PM   #26
skaggs
AlbanyHDTV

Quote:
It works. The TiVo says it's operational and everything so all is good! Thumbs up to Comcast.
Nice!
Old 10-06-2008, 04:38 PM   #27
rv65

Quote:
Glad you got yours working. Our Time Warner area uses SDV though they can't get theirs out fast enough. Let's hope they do get them in a timely manner. I too am interested a Tivo.
rv65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 04:39 PM   #28
oddlycalm

Nothing yet on the West coast. The Comcast tech support call center had no idea what SDV is let alone what the tuning adapter is. They were nice about it and got back to me, but nada. Looks like you folks in the Northeast are the test market.

oc
oddlycalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 05:34 PM   #29
jhimmel

Quote:
Congratulations. As far as I know, you are the first (and only) person to deploy a tuning adapter who is not restricted by NDA.

Jim H.
jhimmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 05:48 PM   #30
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Are you certain that there are channels presented as switched digital that you can tune now that you weren't able to tune before? Unlike letters announcing SDV sent out by TWC and Cox, that one didn't seem to list the group of services that they planned to provide as switched broadcasts.

"
" -- hookbill