TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > DVD TiVo Units (Archive)
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-21-2008, 07:09 PM   #1771
frankw

Thanks Windracer - the kickstart instructions worked perfectly (you have to type in the code when you get the two yellows - which only lasts 1-2 seconds), but it refuses to do code 54 - so, no screen after "just a few minutes more".
Code 57 gave me the reboot and then the GSOD.
I also tried a software update (51) and it just froze afterwards.

So Robomeister is probably right and I will have to order a new HDD - I saw a good price for the the Seagate SV35.2 750 GB IDE HDD. I'm thinking of using WinMFS to install so I don't need to open up my PC. It seems pretty straightforward with two IDE to USB chords - let me know if anyone has any tips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
Luckily, I posted how to do this just a few posts above.

Last edited by frankw : 09-21-2008 at 07:47 PM.
frankw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:33 AM   #1772
EvilMidniteBombr
what bomz at midnite

I'm not an expert by any stretch, but I am not sure that an IDE drive will work in the RS-TX. I could be very wrong, but you might want to verify before you buy.

9/11/01... Never Forget.
EvilMidniteBombr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 02:36 PM   #1773
windracer
joined the 10k club

The TX20 definitely uses IDE drives, as do all the S2 boxes. Only the newer S3 boxes use SATA.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 01:16 AM   #1774
mrfixit454

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankw View Post
Thanks Windracer - the kickstart instructions worked perfectly (you have to type in the code when you get the two yellows - which only lasts 1-2 seconds), but it refuses to do code 54 - so, no screen after "just a few minutes more".
Code 57 gave me the reboot and then the GSOD.
I also tried a software update (51) and it just froze afterwards.

So Robomeister is probably right and I will have to order a new HDD - I saw a good price for the the Seagate SV35.2 750 GB IDE HDD. I'm thinking of using WinMFS to install so I don't need to open up my PC. It seems pretty straightforward with two IDE to USB chords - let me know if anyone has any tips.
Let us know how the WinMFS works out if you use it. BTW.. with all my boot problems and not loading program data (I think second boot partiiton was bad) I bought a higher capacity imaged drive from Weaknees and been running for about 6 months now no problems. My S2 Directvio has a 320 gig drive but its having problems after about a year. I just read about the WinMFS and Zipper and might want to try to copy my drive to another one.

I hear the WinMFS is pretty slick.

Fixit
mrfixit454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 12:35 PM   #1775
EvilMidniteBombr
what bomz at midnite

Quote:
The TX20 definitely uses IDE drives, as do all the S2 boxes. Only the newer S3 boxes use SATA.
Told ya I didn't know what I was talking about. Sorry for the misinformation. Nothing to see here. Carry on.

9/11/01... Never Forget.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:19 AM   #1776
harrisgtz

Toshiba RS-TX20 without cable box

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveBlues View Post
I'm not sure if I understand your problem. If you have the cable going into the cable box using coax, and then use the composite cables out of the TiVo to the tv, it should work fine. In order to change channels on the cable box, you have to use the IR blaster out of the TiVo to the cable box, in order to allow the TiVo to do the actual channel changes on the cable box.
If I connect the cable line directly into the Toshiba and then output to my TV, will the Toshiba act as a tuner and change the channels that I select for manual recording (without going through a cable box) ? (In other words will it act like a VCR for recording).

If not can I use a VCR to change the channels?
Old 09-24-2008, 02:05 PM   #1777
tunabeard
Tunabeard

RS-TX 20 DVD Issue

I've been trying to burn programs to DVD and everytime just before the burn is finalized I keep getting a "Disc Failed" message, and then a message that says "program wasn't completed because of an internal error." All the programs that burned prior to the previous failures all play back fine.

I was thinking that it was a disc issue...I am burning to Verbatim DVD-R 8X and then tried burning to an Apple DVD-R and got the same problem. I've reset and restarted and it's still happening. Could it be as simple as a disc problem?
tunabeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 02:13 PM   #1778
sledhed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunabeard View Post
I've been trying to burn programs to DVD and everytime just before the burn is finalized I keep getting a "Disc Failed" message, and then a message that says "program wasn't completed because of an internal error." All the programs that burned prior to the previous failures all play back fine.

I was thinking that it was a disc issue...I am burning to Verbatim DVD-R 8X and then tried burning to an Apple DVD-R and got the same problem. I've reset and restarted and it's still happening. Could it be as simple as a disc problem?
Try saving a different program than the one that is failing... maybe one that has burned successfully before. When I have that problem it seems to be a specific program causing the problem. Usually Hogan's Heroes. *L* Also to save yourself some coasters, start trying it to DVD-RW discs. Since they can be re-used...

I was having this happen, and many others in this thread too, seems to be unpredictable. When I transferred the offending program to my PC and ran VideoReDo on it, it had synch error(s)... other rograms did not...
sledhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 02:24 PM   #1779
mrfixit454

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledhed View Post
Try saving a different program than the one that is failing... maybe one that has burned successfully before. When I have that problem it seems to be a specific program causing the problem. Usually Hogan's Heroes. *L* Also to save yourself some coasters, start trying it to DVD-RW discs. Since they can be re-used...

I was having this happen, and many others in this thread too, seems to be unpredictable. When I transferred the offending program to my PC and ran VideoReDo on it, it had synch error(s)... other rograms did not...
This has happened to me too.. for some reason the show will just not transer to DVD for whatever reason. Re-recording the show.. if possible has solved the problem. It get tricky when you are trying to save 4 shows to one disc and you don't know which one is causing the problem.
Old 09-24-2008, 02:33 PM   #1780
mrfixit454

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisgtz View Post
If I connect the cable line directly into the Toshiba and then output to my TV, will the Toshiba act as a tuner and change the channels that I select for manual recording (without going through a cable box) ? (In other words will it act like a VCR for recording).

If not can I use a VCR to change the channels?
It's my understanding that the Thoshiba tuner will change channels from your cable company as long as you set it up correctly w/ the guided detup. I use Satellite and when I tell it what provider and what SAT box I have, the Toshiba changes the channel on my SAT box. I beleive if you pass a coax signal to the Ant-in port, you can tune to channel 3 (or4) and pass a vcr or maybe even digital tuner in to it. I guess you could also use the front panel RCA jacks but when you do that, it does not allow use of any other feature (the tuner or DVD). I am not sure if the Tivo subscription is required though. It is for season passes and for some inputs to the Toshiba.

I have passed the singal from my livingroom Tivo (via coax) to the Antenna it and told the Toshiba to use it's tuner and transefer shows from a directv tivo to the Thoshiba. Granted the title is wrong on the info but the program ends up fine on the Toshiba.

THis unit is pretty versitile and I love it's many features.
Old 09-24-2008, 03:13 PM   #1781
tunabeard
Tunabeard

Quote:

Unfortunately, I totally delete the ones that burn with no problem. And I had tried the other option of trying to burn a different program and to no such avail it didn't work either. I haven't tried using -RW discs, I will give that a try. Thanks.
Old 09-24-2008, 03:19 PM   #1782
tunabeard
Tunabeard

Quote:
\

I have a Titanium Powerbook, so I'm using TiVo Transfer and Toast Titanium for the time being, haven't had any synch errors just yet, but it's just not same as using the burner in the TX-20.
Old 09-24-2008, 03:47 PM   #1783
sledhed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfixit454 View Post
This has happened to me too.. for some reason the show will just not transer to DVD for whatever reason. Re-recording the show.. if possible has solved the problem. It get tricky when you are trying to save 4 shows to one disc and you don't know which one is causing the problem.
The 4 shows issue is one we encountered with the Hogan's Heroes that had the problem. Using a rewriteable helped us narrow down the offending show. Of course sometimes rerecording is not an option, so then the only option is to transfer to PC and then convert and burn to DVD there...

Quote:
Unfortunately, I totally delete the ones that burn with no problem. And I had tried the other option of trying to burn a different program and to no such avail it didn't work either. I haven't tried using -RW discs, I will give that a try. Thanks.
Yep, rewriteables save lots of coasters... although on rare occasion I have had a rewriteable work when a DVD-R did not, and when it did I just went to my PC and basically made a copy onto a DVD-R or +R on my PC and called it good.

Quote:
I have a Titanium Powerbook, so I'm using TiVo Transfer and Toast Titanium for the time being, haven't had any synch errors just yet, but it's just not same as using the burner in the TX-20.
I agree that the PC option is just not the same, if only TivoToGo or Toast had the option built-in to make a DVD exactly the same way the Toshiba does, that would be great. Wishes...

Hey, my first multi-quote and I got it right the first time... *L*

Last edited by sledhed : 09-24-2008 at 03:54 PM.
Old 09-24-2008, 03:50 PM   #1784
tunabeard
Tunabeard

Quote:
The 4 shows issue is one we encountered with the Hogan's Heroes that had the problem. Using a rewriteable helped us narrow down the offending show. Of course sometimes rerecording is not an option, so then the only option is to transfer to PC and then convert and burn to DVD there...

Yep, rewriteables save lots of coasters... although on rare occasion I have had a rewriteable work when a DVD-R did not, and when it did I just went to my PC and basically made a copy onto a DVD-R or +R on my PC and called it good.

I agree that the PC option is just not the same, if only TivoToGo or Toast had the option built-in to make a DVD exactly the same way the Toshiba does, that would be great. Wishes...
I'm gonna try your suggestion with the -RW, do you have any recommendation or should I stick with using the Verbatims?
Old 09-24-2008, 03:57 PM   #1785
sledhed

Quote:
I'm gonna try your suggestion with the -RW, do you have any recommendation or should I stick with using the Verbatims?
I have been using Verbatim -R 16X from a 100 DVD cakebox with success for quite a while now. As for the rewriteables, I have used both Maxell and Imation, and I think the Imation was rated for higher speed than the Toshiba unit will write but they still worked fine too. I think I bought the Maxells at Wally Mart pretty cheap, with the nice DVD movie style cases, but I have not seen them there in that case lately. Good luck.

Last edited by sledhed : 09-26-2008 at 05:53 PM.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:43 PM   #1786
mrfixit454

Seems like the 2 types of -R RW's I have tried only work for 1/2 the disk. i.e start pixelating and freezing after about an hour of play time. Don't recall the brand since I seldom use them.

Edit.. Maxell 1x(2x) and Imation 4x. Maybe I am using the wrong types

Last edited by mrfixit454 : 09-25-2008 at 02:33 AM. Reason: Brand Verification
Old 09-26-2008, 12:28 AM   #1787
tunabeard
Tunabeard

Quote:
I have been using Verbatim -R 16X from a 100 DVD cakebox with success for quite a while now. As for the rewriteables, I have used both Maxell and Imation, and I think the Imation was rated for higher speed than the Toshiba unit will write but they still worked fine too. I think I bought the Maxells at Wally Mart pretty cheak, with the nice DVD movie style cases, but I have not seen them there in that case lately. Good luck.

Thanks, I'll try it and will let you know what happens.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:52 PM   #1788
AgentS

New question: I have tivo basic on my TX-20. My old hard drive went. New one is up and running. I was always able to group shows together in the Now Playing list on my old hard drive. I now hit the 'enter' button while I'm in Now Playing, but I get no extra options. Can I not group shows into folders because I have tivo basic? If that's the case, why was I able to before? Don't know if this could be why, but I did the "try tivo plus" on my old hard drive, but not this new one. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
AgentS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 09:23 PM   #1789
windracer
joined the 10k club

Yes, grouping recordings into folders is a TiVo Plus feature.

http://www.tivo.com/setupandsupport/...TiVo_Plus.html

Sounds like maybe you were still in the "trial" period of TiVo Plus and that's why you had those options before.

|
Old 10-01-2008, 09:53 PM   #1790
AgentS

I definitely wasn't still in the trial period. I had those folders/groups for over 2 years. Do I lose my recordings if I do the guided setup again? I want to do that trial period again, but I don't have the option for it.
AgentS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 11:00 PM   #1791
EvilMidniteBombr
what bomz at midnite

My TX20 on TiVo basic has shows grouped in folders. I used it on with TiVo Plus for a couple of years. Then I used the free trial for a couple of weeks. It's been on Basic for a few months now. I'm guessing when you replaced the hard drive you lost that little bit of code that still grouped shows in folders.

9/11/01... Never Forget.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:12 AM   #1792
windracer
joined the 10k club

Hmmm ... I guess I'll have to get my TX20 out of the closet and see if it still has the grouping option as well since it used to have TiVo Plus. Sounds like that particular flag doesn't get switched off when the unit reverts to Basic?

As for the trial, you're only supposed to be eligible for that once, but I've read about it popping up again.

|
Old 10-03-2008, 03:30 PM   #1793
gadgetguru

I have a TX20 that I upgraded with a Seagate 400g IDE drive using MFS Tools by copying my old original drive to the 400 but when I put the 400 hard drive in, the TX20 sticks on "Powering Up" screen. I have tried the panic reboot proceedure described earlier in the thread by Sledhead and held down the Pause button for 4 minutes but nothing happened. Any ideas?

Also, I have tried to get the Winmfs program from http://www.mfslive.org/winmfs/ but when I try to register on the website, I never get the activation email. I have checked my spam box and the spam box on my email server and it is not there. I registered for this form after trying to register on the mfslive form and had no problem getting the activation email for this form. Any ideas or does anyone have the latest winmfs that they can send me or point me to a site where I can get it? I have tried searching the net for it but can only find places that charge to join or to download Winmfs.

Thanks!
gadgetguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 04:05 PM   #1794
Chester_Lampwick

This is probably a really easy fix. You probably have to change a jumper on the hard drive after imaging it on your PC.
Old 10-03-2008, 04:17 PM   #1795
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetguru View Post
I have tried the panic reboot proceedure described earlier in the thread by Sledhead and held down the Pause button for 4 minutes but nothing happened.
If you're trying to do a kickstart to get into the drive diagnostics, there's more to it than just holding down the Pause button on the remote. Check out my detailed instructions here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...21#post6655221

|
Old 10-03-2008, 04:44 PM   #1796
gadgetguru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester_Lampwick View Post
This is probably a really easy fix. You probably have to change a jumper on the hard drive after imaging it on your PC.
I tried both the cable select and master positions of the jumper on the hard drive. Any other suggestions? Thanks.
Old 10-03-2008, 04:46 PM   #1797
gadgetguru

Quote:
If you're trying to do a kickstart to get into the drive diagnostics, there's more to it than just holding down the Pause button on the remote. Check out my detailed instructions here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...21#post6655221
As indicated in my post, I followed the directions. The "Powering on" screen comes on almost immediately after plugging in the TX20. I pressed the pause button as soon as possible after the "Powering on" screen came on after plugging the TX20 back in. Any other suggestions? Thanks!
Old 10-03-2008, 06:00 PM   #1798
mrfixit454

Where all indications that the copy went ok? Have you done drive diagnostics on the new drive?
Old 10-03-2008, 06:06 PM   #1799
gadgetguru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfixit454 View Post
Where all indications that the copy went ok? Have you done drive diagnostics on the new drive?
The copy process indicated that it completed properly, it did not report any errors. I have not done a diagnostic on the drive after the copy, I'm trying to find a copy of Winmfs to do that, or do it with the TX-20 panic mode, which has been unsuccessful. Thanks!
Old 10-06-2008, 03:09 PM   #1800
gadgetguru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester_Lampwick View Post
It was a misplaced jumper! (I'm blaming Seagate's drawing showing the jumper positions for this!) My bad! Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions!

Last edited by gadgetguru : 10-06-2008 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Acknowledge those who offered help