TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
View Poll Results: What version of the software is your problem unit running?
Current software (6.4a) 43 20.28%
Something older (6.3x, 6.2a, 6.2, 3.x, etc.) 169 79.72%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump

Old 09-25-2008, 04:50 PM   #61
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

Software version 6.1? Check out the force a software upgrade and go ahead and upgrade if you can.

Here's a direct link to the procedure:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...69#post6687969
dcstager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 05:00 PM   #62
bcbounders

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstager View Post
Software version 6.1? Check out the force a software upgrade and go ahead and upgrade if you can.

Here's a direct link to the procedure:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...69#post6687969
dcstager,

I'd love to... but my TiVo is in my RV, and I travel in it full-time. So... getting it in the proximity of a live phone line so that it CAN update is next to impossible (most RV parks don't offer phone service ).

Of course... I have Satellite Internet access, and the DirecTV Tivo is in the same cabinet as my router... so if I could utilize a USB-Ethernet device to get it to connect via the internet, I'd be golden! <sigh> Not an option with DirecTivos.
bcbounders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 08:16 PM   #63
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

It's easy to get your D-Tivo on the Internet. Check out this forum for easy instructions in multiple methods. Maybe your R/V needs: http://www.magicjack.com to get a phone line anywhere you have Internet.
Old 09-29-2008, 07:33 PM   #64
Melissa
Go Pitt!

ok, i'm one of the people with 6.4. had the problem prior to getting the upgrade, got the upgrade- redid the few problem seasons passes and it seemed to work.....until today PTI did not record. I have deleted and redone this frickin' season pass at least 6 times now. -M
Old 09-29-2008, 07:43 PM   #65
The Flush
Anonymous User

Have you tried setting the SP to record all with duplicates? That seemed to fix my PTI SP.
The Flush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 08:43 PM   #66
bcbounders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa View Post
ok, i'm one of the people with 6.4. had the problem prior to getting the upgrade, got the upgrade- redid the few problem seasons passes and it seemed to work.....until today PTI did not record. I have deleted and redone this frickin' season pass at least 6 times now. -M
Melissa,

Oh.... please don't say that! I'm currently in the process of signing up for a free month's worth of phone service, just so I can dialed in and get 6.4 to stop this ridiculousness with HAVING to use "All (with duplicates)" just to get Season Passes to record anything at all.

UGGGGHHH!
Old 09-30-2008, 01:20 AM   #67
Smoochknob

I am in a similar boat with the 6.4a upgrade. I had the issue on 6.2a and recreated all the season passes two weeks ago. Upgraded to 6.4a on Sept 20th. Checked my season passes today and 'Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles' was dead. Had to recreate the season pass for it to get next week's episode in the to do list.

I guess that issue could have existed in my guide data prior to the 6.4a upgrade. But I already missed the season premier of Terminator because my existing sp didn't catch it.

I guess until this sorts out, I'll be watching my season passes closely. This sucks, since the Tivo had been rock solid for 3 years before this all started.

Last edited by Smoochknob : 09-30-2008 at 01:26 AM.
Smoochknob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 01:45 AM   #68
bcbounders

Does anyone know if DirecTV or TiVo are aware of this issue? Has anyone submitted a support ticket or anything?
Old 09-30-2008, 07:48 AM   #69
wedgecon
Just Plain Awesome

I have had to recreate all season passes for shows after October 5 except Hereos. The new season passes were not picking up next weeks episodes.

I am running Version 6.4a on my Phillips DSR 7000, the odd thing is that my Sony SAT T60 has had none of these problems and there has been no update for it since the daylight savings fix.
wedgecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:02 PM   #70
jporter12
TiVo changed my life

6.2a, had to recreate all SPs on both units.
SIR 4040,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 300 GB drive Linksys USB200M Ver.2
jporter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:32 PM   #71
bcbounders

That sucks! I hope this isn't something that is going to continue to plague us... I've come to depend on my TiVo to just work... in essence, to be smarter than I am and record everything that I want, without me having to think (OK... so I had to think at some point in order to setup my SP Manager, but still). You know... sort of like the beginning of the machines taking over... which is why I'll be REALLY mad if it doesn't record Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles reliably!
Old 10-02-2008, 10:21 AM   #72
Smoochknob

I think I finally fixed my SP issues!

Even after updating to 6.4a from 6.2a, my guide data was still showing doubles for many shows and SP's were missing episodes. Last night I deleted all the guide data (Messages and Setup->Restart or Reset System->Clear Program Information and To Do List). This morning the guide is rebuilt and there were NO doubles listed in it. I just recreated my season pass list and everything looks okay.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that this doesn't come back.
Old 10-05-2008, 06:44 AM   #73
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

I think it's pretty obvious at this point that the data format changed to new, switched back to old, and is switching back to the new format again. To get rid of these problems completely, all 11-12 days of data have to be in the new format and fully indexed which adds at least another day or two. They have to settle on a guide data format and get the upgrade out to every receiver. Tivo has to be rock-solid reliable doing this or it's not a Tivo. For years, I never even thought about something like this happening and it never did. Trying to "improve" things caused a problem and it's a DIRECTV problem.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:26 AM   #74
bengalfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstager View Post
I think it's pretty obvious at this point that the data format changed to new, switched back to old, and is switching back to the new format again. To get rid of these problems completely, all 11-12 days of data have to be in the new format and fully indexed which adds at least another day or two. They have to settle on a guide data format and get the upgrade out to every receiver. Tivo has to be rock-solid reliable doing this or it's not a Tivo. For years, I never even thought about something like this happening and it never did. Trying to "improve" things caused a problem and it's a DIRECTV problem.
I don't think that's obvious at all. Every season pass that I recreated one time has worked perfectly ever since.

And this is not necessarily a DirecTV problem. If you purposely stopped, as I did, your DTivos from updating the software, then that's the problem. DirecTV can change their guide data anytime they want as long as they update the software to handle the change. If we have defeated the software update, to preserve MRV or other reasons, we have no one to blame but ourselves.

On the other hand, if you have had your units plugged into a phone line everyday and the software still did not update, then you may have a complaint and i would probably be angry too.
Old 10-06-2008, 12:51 PM   #75
DougF

My two HDVR2s wiht 6.4a have been affected again. My HR10-250 with 6.3something is working fine.
DougF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 06:36 PM   #76
ursine1
That one guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalfreak View Post
I don't think that's obvious at all. Every season pass that I recreated one time has worked perfectly ever since.

And this is not necessarily a DirecTV problem. If you purposely stopped, as I did, your DTivos from updating the software, then that's the problem. DirecTV can change their guide data anytime they want as long as they update the software to handle the change. If we have defeated the software update, to preserve MRV or other reasons, we have no one to blame but ourselves.

On the other hand, if you have had your units plugged into a phone line everyday and the software still did not update, then you may have a complaint and i would probably be angry too.
Direct TV has stopped updating series 1 TiVo's, so unless they do something like they did for the time change, anyone with a series 1 is out of luck.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:24 AM   #77
ADent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursine1 View Post
Direct TV has stopped updating series 1 TiVo's, so unless they do something like they did for the time change, anyone with a series 1 is out of luck.

When did they do that? We got a software update early this year - 3.5d - supposedly to 'fix' the PPV expiration.

BTW not a single problem with guide data with my DSR6000 and 3.5d (yet).
ADent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 02:09 PM   #78
sk33t3r

Well i took my dsr7000 back to 6.2a and then recreated the season passes. The wife hasnet complained yet, so I am assuming all is well for now.
HR21-200
HR20-100
DRD420re
sk33t3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 03:41 PM   #79
wedgecon
Just Plain Awesome

My series 2 with 6.4a has had this problem, but my series 1 with 3.5c has not had any problems.
wedgecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 08:43 PM   #80
Smoochknob

So far so good on my update from 6.2 to 6.4 after I cleared all the program guide data.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:23 AM   #81
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

I'm on 6.4a and the season pass problem persists. Yesterday I was checking to see if I could duplicate the problem and had to re-create season passes for Mad Men and Mythbusters.

Last week's episode of Mad Men was listed in the old season pass as the only episode upcoming. This Sunday's new episode was in the guide and creating another season pass caught it and the new episode a week from Sunday.

So, the same problem is still there and not completely resolved. Again, check your season passes because there's probably stuff it's going to miss.
Old 10-11-2008, 03:02 PM   #82
bengalfreak

That's weird. I have re-created my season passes once and everything continues to record without fail.
Old 10-12-2008, 01:45 PM   #83
Deven

I have a Sony SAT-T60 which is still running 3.1.0c2, and I've had to recreate most of the season passes because they all seemed to be using obsolete show IDs and incorrectly said there were no upcoming episodes. I lost many recordings due to this problem.

I also have an HR10-250 running 6.3e, but haven't seen any problems with the season passes on that box.

Sony SAT-T60 (120+30GB, ~140hrs, v3.1.0c2, 512MB CacheCard)
Philips DSR6000 (120+40GB, ~160hrs, v3.1.0c2, 512MB CacheCard)
Deven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:06 AM   #84
rolybert
Here comes Santa

6.4a All is well. I got the update before I installed the dsl and could not phone in.

I only have 4 Tvland SP's so I may not be a good one to judge any problems compared to those with 100.

No new episodes to record they are all reruns on Tvland

Anyone know if I can get Tvland on alacarte It would save me some bucks.

JK I know you cant get Tvland on alacarte

Last edited by rolybert : 10-14-2008 at 10:14 AM.
rolybert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:09 AM   #85
rolybert
Here comes Santa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoochknob View Post
So far so good on my update from 6.2 to 6.4 after I cleared all the program guide data.
Since I only have a few SP's at any time I always do a clear and delete after a new software release. I suppose if you have 250 SP,s A clear and delete is not practical.
rolybert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 02:02 PM   #86
jca
Designer

Note Recreating Season Passes isn't working

So I've been watching my 6.2 Season Passes fail and have recreated them over the past few weeks. In most cases this has worked. However, the problem still continues with some shows -- I assume all shows are slowly being moved over to the new IDs which is the source of this conflict?

For example, I've recreated Season Passes several times for various Sunday Morning talk shows, but they keep failing and not recording. (Despite the fact I have both "versions" as a Season Pass, checking the To-Do List, etc.)

Will this Season Pass problem continue indefinitely with version 6.2 of the software? Will all those show IDs eventually work themselves out? I really do not want to update to 6.4.
Old 10-14-2008, 03:42 PM   #87
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

You might want to stick out 6.2 a little longer because the same thing is happening on 6.4 on some shows. The showid can change from day to day and I don't think the upgrade is going to make any difference if that keeps up. The guide data is not stable and it takes 11-12 days for completely new guide data to integrate with the indexing. If the data keeps changing the problem will continue.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:31 AM   #88
The Flush
Anonymous User

In some cases, setting SPs to record all instead of just new episodes has solved the problem, at least on 6.2a.
The Flush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 09:24 AM   #89
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33mikeg View Post
lol it looks like most of us are running something older.
still works fine for me though

So, all your season passes from years gone by still work and always have worked and as far as you can tell from your usage, nothing changed?
Old 10-15-2008, 09:31 AM   #90
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flush View Post
In some cases, setting SPs to record all instead of just new episodes has solved the problem, at least on 6.2a.
Actually, that won't work with the guide changes. You'll find that once the series id changes, you can try "view all upcoming" and it will say there are no episodes. Recording all will find no episodes and recording first run will find no episodes.

You have to search the listings for the program and find the version that has upcoming showing so you know you are keyed on the right program/series id.

But, the series id in the guide data is changing repeatedly so it's not going to make much difference which software is looking. The data that identifies a particular program is different, changed, new, altered -- as if it's a completely different show.

Recording all will record all of the shows with the same series id as was present when you created the season pass. It would have recorded first run or repeats or whatever you set it for. The variable is beyond the user's control.