TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-30-2008, 02:53 PM   #301
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinmtu View Post
Any other ideas? Thanks for your reply
You said you have tried several mpeg files and all have similar problems, were they all recorded from same channel or different channels? There may be some glitch in the mpeg file(s) causing problems. If you have VideoRedo I would run 1 of the offending mpeg files through Quickstream fix to see if that helps.
If you don't have VideoRedo you can download trial version which has full functionality to give it a shot to see if it helps.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 12:06 AM   #302
moyekj

VideoRedo Quickstream fix to the rescue again.

I've found a few of my mpeg2 files don't encode cleanly - I get jerky video and/or skipping audio in resulting encoding. After much fussing around with different encoding settings nothing seem to help. Then I ran the source mpeg2 file through VideoRedo Quickstream fix and that cured the problem - now that clip encodes perfectly with various of the different profiles.

It's become such a useful tool I'm going to have to look at including VideoRedo Quickstream fix (in batch mode) as another option in kmttg.

While I'm at it I'll also try to use it as a better option to mencoder for cutting out commercial segments (though I suspect that Quickstream fix enought will also fix the problems mencoder has cutting files).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-01-2008, 03:57 PM   #303
jmpage2

I do have a request. I've noticed that when I select the box "Create Sub Folder" the sub folder gets the full name of the file, including episode information and date (if so configured as it normally would be in the naming convention).

It would be a far more useful feature if the "Create Sub Folder" simply created a sub folder with the series name, etc, and put all subsequent episodes in that folder.

For example, create sub-directory "Star Trek" and put all Star Trek Episodes there, versus ending up with 60 sub-directories, one for each episode of the show.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 04:18 PM   #304
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
I do have a request. I've noticed that when I select the box "Create Sub Folder" the sub folder gets the full name of the file, including episode information and date (if so configured as it normally would be in the naming convention).

It would be a far more useful feature if the "Create Sub Folder" simply created a sub folder with the series name, etc, and put all subsequent episodes in that folder.

For example, create sub-directory "Star Trek" and put all Star Trek Episodes there, versus ending up with 60 sub-directories, one for each episode of the show.
That's what the special keyword "[/]" added in this latest release is for in the "File Naming" configuration - to add sub-folders of your choosing. So for your example you could do something like:
[mainTitle][/][year]_[month]_[mday]_[episodeTitle]
That way all shows of same series end up in the same [mainTitle] sub-folder and when sorted by name you can keep them in recorded date order.

The create sub-directory option was more of a specific request I was addressing to keep every single show as a separate folder (which I personally don't find very useful but I can see where if you are using the comskip/comcut phases and not deleting files as you go may be of value).

Old 10-01-2008, 05:12 PM   #305
jmpage2

Gotcha, ok. I will give that a go. That's what I get for reading the instructions too quickly! If I subsequently go into the subdirectory with a .tivo file in it and then encode it will it then create another sub-folder with the .mpg file?

Last edited by jmpage2 : 10-01-2008 at 05:20 PM.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:17 PM   #306
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
Gotcha, ok. I will give that a go. That's what I get for reading the instructions too quickly! If I subsequently go into the subdirectory with a .tivo file in it and then encode it will it then create another sub-folder with the .mpg file?
As long as you specify ".TiVo Output Dir" and ".mpg Output Dir" as the same then both .TiVo and .mpg files will land in same sub-folder. Same goes for all other output files.
Perhaps to clarify why that is the case, each of the output file names are built as:
<Output dir>/<File Naming specification>.<suffix>
(where of course in latest release <File Naming specification> can have it's own sub-folders)

Last edited by moyekj : 10-01-2008 at 06:24 PM.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:59 PM   #307
kevinmtu

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
I've found a few of my mpeg2 files don't encode cleanly - I get jerky video and/or skipping audio in resulting encoding. After much fussing around with different encoding settings nothing seem to help. Then I ran the source mpeg2 file through VideoRedo Quickstream fix and that cured the problem - now that clip encodes perfectly with various of the different profiles.

It's become such a useful tool I'm going to have to look at including VideoRedo Quickstream fix (in batch mode) as another option in kmttg.

While I'm at it I'll also try to use it as a better option to mencoder for cutting out commercial segments (though I suspect that Quickstream fix enought will also fix the problems mencoder has cutting files).
Finally got the time to give VideoRedo a try and lo and behold, the audio was in sync =)

I am going to try it on another file tonight and see if it works again. The only problem is that the software is so expensive to do this one task. Is there any other solution that you know of that works similar to VideoRedo Quickstream.

Thanks!
kevinmtu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 09:39 PM   #308
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinmtu View Post
Finally got the time to give VideoRedo a try and lo and behold, the audio was in sync =)

I am going to try it on another file tonight and see if it works again. The only problem is that the software is so expensive to do this one task. Is there any other solution that you know of that works similar to VideoRedo Quickstream.

Thanks!
Don't know if there is free software out there to do the same thing. Note that VideoRedo is useful for editing out commercials with precision, stitching DVD VOBS together, and several other tasks. You don't need the $75 DVD authoring version, the $50 VideoRedoPlus has the Quickstream fix tool as well (that's the one I use).

As I mentioned above the Quickstream fix tool seems to clear up a lot of issues when further processing of .mpg files is needed (such as cutting out commercials or encoding to other formats), so I am already working on incorporating it into kmttg as another option you can choose (Windows only). It would be nice to find a free tool that does the same and is cross platform but I don't know if there is one.

Last edited by moyekj : 10-01-2008 at 09:45 PM.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:17 AM   #309
momanz

Integration of VideoRedo would be great. I spent some time a couple of years ago looking the different options for editing out commercials and couldn't find anything that would maintain proper audio sync consistently. There's a program called ProjectX that may help, but at some point in time my cable system changed something about how programs were broadcast on some channels. That caused the program to drop a large number of frames when it processed the video. In the end I spent the $50 on VideoRedo and haven't looked back since.
momanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 02:51 PM   #310
insomniac99

I've got an HP MediaSmart WHS box. How can I install directly onto this box?
insomniac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 03:04 PM   #311
jmpage2

Installation is very simple on WHS box.

You will want to download the software from here;

http://code.google.com/p/kmttg/downloads/list

You will need the Windows installation (http://kmttg.googlecode.com/files/kmttg_v0p5a.zip) and also the Windows helper tools (http://kmttg.googlecode.com/files/km...tools_v0p5.zip).

You will want to save these files onto one of your WHS shares that you can then access via the WHS box.

Remote desktop to the WHS box (using remote desktop) and find the files, then unzip them into a directory of your choosing (c:\program files\kmttg\ for example). Make sure that your paths are correct, in other words the kmmtg.pl program should be sitting in the same folder as the folders for the different tools (ffmpeg, etc).

You then simply need to follow the instructions on the kmttg website to get Python installed (they give you a link and instructions, it's very easy) and then follow the instructions for setting up kmttg.

It's really not complicated, just take your time. The Windows instructions will work perfectly fine on your EX475 provided you use remote desktop and the administrator account to set everything up.
Old 10-03-2008, 03:14 PM   #312
insomniac99

Thanks. Do I need to first install PERL on the WHS share?
Old 10-03-2008, 04:26 PM   #313
jmpage2

You will need Perl installed (and pay attention to versions, etc, per the kmttg install instructions) but you don't necessarily have to put it on before you get kmttg ready to go.

You simply won't be able to run kmttg until Perl is installed on your WHS. Remember that you will also want to install Perl on the WHS box through remote desktop as the administrator.

If you want to share your downloaded shows back to your Tivo(s) then you will want PyTivo also, which is also easy to set up on WHS. You can get pytivo here;

http://pytivo.armooo.net/

I believe the windows installation of PyTivo includes the Python interpretation necessary for operation.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:58 PM   #314
insomniac99

Hmm I don't know that I can remote desktop into my particular WHS box. I guess I'll need to research that first.
Old 10-04-2008, 12:05 AM   #315
jmpage2

Any WHS box allows for remote desktop as far as I know. If you have trouble getting in you can get extra help on the EX475 at www.wegotserved.co.uk

You should be able to put the server name into remote desktop, login as administrator and use the same password that you use for the WHS console.
Old 10-04-2008, 02:55 PM   #316
yizzung

I see a lot of questions about getting this to work on a Mac but no answers. I assume it does not. Has anyone gotten this to work on OS X?

I'm trying to find ANY solution that will let me pull recordings off my Series 3, watch them on my Mac and/or transfer them to my iPhone.

(I think I have downloaded every freaking app mentioned anywhere on these boards and nothing works. I'm fine with paying for Roxio products but everyone says that they suck too... Should I give up?)
yizzung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 03:25 PM   #317
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by yizzung View Post
I see a lot of questions about getting this to work on a Mac but no answers. I assume it does not. Has anyone gotten this to work on OS X?

I'm trying to find ANY solution that will let me pull recordings off my Series 3, watch them on my Mac and/or transfer them to my iPhone.

(I think I have downloaded every freaking app mentioned anywhere on these boards and nothing works. I'm fine with paying for Roxio products but everyone says that they suck too... Should I give up?)
Being a Perl program it can run on Mac OS X, but takes quite a bit of work to get there. The hard part is getting everything setup so it can run, such as X11 setup, tivodecode binaries and any other of the helper application binaries needed. If you look much earlier in this thread someone actually went through the process and eventually got it up and running on the Mac. However I have not heard from that person lately. I don't have a Mac myself so can't do the work. Really it would take one person with a little experience in Mac and compiling programs on Mac to get this setup and provide a zip file for Mac users, but I haven't had such a volunteer yet.

Old 10-04-2008, 04:00 PM   #318
yizzung

Ok, that's a "no" then. Thanks.

Seems to be no solution out there for OS X. Roxio doesn't work. None of this open source stuff is stitched together enough for us non-programmers.
yizzung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 04:07 PM   #319
jmpage2

Quote:
Ok, that's a "no" then. Thanks.

Seems to be no solution out there for OS X. Roxio doesn't work. None of this open source stuff is stitched together enough for us non-programmers.
If someone else did get it to work as Kevin indicates you could PM that person and see if they can provide the final compiled tools, etc, to get this working. Another option is to dual boot your mac with XP and/or run a Windows emulator which might let you run these programs.
Old 10-04-2008, 04:09 PM   #320
moyekj

New version posted

------------------
v0.5b (10/04/2008)
------------------
ENHANCEMENTS:
* Added "VRD QS fix" option which runs VideoRedo Quickstream Fix in batch
mode on .mpg files (Windows only). The option is enabled only if VideoRedo is
configured and is also available in Auto Transfers mode.

* "comcut" step will use VideoRedo in batch mode instead of "mencoder" for the
commercial cutting step if VideoRedo is configured. VideoRedo does a much
better job of keeping audio/video in sync when doing the cuts.

NOTE: You need to configure comskip.ini to set output_videoredo=1 such that
when "comskip" is run a VideoRedo .VPrj file is created.

Old 10-04-2008, 06:44 PM   #321
Ely105

Quote:
------------------
v0.5b (10/04/2008)
------------------
ENHANCEMENTS:
* Added "VRD QS fix" option which runs VideoRedo Quickstream Fix in batch
mode on .mpg files (Windows only). The option is enabled only if VideoRedo is
configured and is also available in Auto Transfers mode.

* "comcut" step will use VideoRedo in batch mode instead of "mencoder" for the
commercial cutting step if VideoRedo is configured. VideoRedo does a much
better job of keeping audio/video in sync when doing the cuts.

NOTE: You need to configure comskip.ini to set output_videoredo=1 such that
when "comskip" is run a VideoRedo .VPrj file is created.
great work moyekj!

Hey, is there an easy to have kmttg do encoding on files in a directory after you manually do the commercial editing? Maybe I am going about this wrong, but it does seem that it's better to do the commercial editing manually with videoredo to get it just right and then do an encode after that. Maybe i just need a tool/batch file to watch a directory and do the ffmpeg encode on any file placed there. Obviously it's dependent on me getting around to do the manual commercial edits.
Ely105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 09:18 PM   #322
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ely105 View Post
great work moyekj!

Hey, is there an easy to have kmttg do encoding on files in a directory after you manually do the commercial editing? Maybe I am going about this wrong, but it does seem that it's better to do the commercial editing manually with videoredo to get it just right and then do an encode after that. Maybe i just need a tool/batch file to watch a directory and do the ffmpeg encode on any file placed there. Obviously it's dependent on me getting around to do the manual commercial edits.
Yes there is - that is how I do it because I'm very picky about commercial editing and prefer to do it manually. You simply switch to FILES mode, then bring up File Browser to find .mpg files you want to encode and off you go. (In configuration there is "Enable File Browser" option you should enable, then you will get a FILES entry as part of the TIVOS pulldown).

Old 10-04-2008, 09:21 PM   #323
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ely105 View Post
great work moyekj!

You might consider the approach given in post #10 of this thread. TVAP will process the files through ad detection then wait for you to manually adjust its edits and save the project file. Then TVAP will automatically apply the cuts to the file and run the postprocess batch file to do the encoding.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 03:50 PM   #324
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by insomniac99 View Post
Hmm I don't know that I can remote desktop into my particular WHS box. I guess I'll need to research that first.
Did you get it running? If you still need help let me know!
Old 10-14-2008, 06:50 PM   #325
Yoav

Quote:

Shameless plug: Have you tried iTiVo yet? Still being debugged and stuff, won't let you edit, but should get your stuff off an S3 to your iphone.
Yoav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 07:32 PM   #326
Tim Winders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoav View Post
Shameless plug: Have you tried iTiVo yet? Still being debugged and stuff, won't let you edit, but should get your stuff off an S3 to your iphone.
I've tried iTivo. Had a problem with it maintaining a connection. I started to download a file, then got a message the connection was lost and couldn't connect again. Trying to connect directly to the TiVo web interface and download a file resulted in the "too many connections" message. Reading about this, seems I need to reboot the TiVo to try again.

iTiVo looks promising. Looking forward to continued development.
Tim Winders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 07:43 PM   #327
moyekj

For you Mac users it seems like the iTiVo functionality and a lot more is already available in kmttg. All we really need is someone willing to compile binaries of various helper tools (like tivodecode and ffmpeg) under OS X. Those could then be packaged up as a zip file just as I now supply for Windows users so that others don't have to repeat that work.
Aside from that some documentation on getting Perl/Tk running on Mac would be needed and that's about it. As I stated before it's already been done and there really is not much to it for someone with some programming experience. I don't have access to a Mac system so can't do it myself, but I can work with a volunteer to get it done if desired. The process is very similar to getting it running on a Linux system which I have already done (Linux is my main development environment for this app).

Last edited by moyekj : 10-14-2008 at 07:50 PM.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:27 PM   #328
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

I'm pretty sure iTiVo already comes with tivodecode, since it's based on TiVoDecode Manager. Check the pyTivo forums for ffmpeg binaries for Macs.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 01:09 AM   #329
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
I'm pretty sure iTiVo already comes with tivodecode, since it's based on TiVoDecode Manager. Check the pyTivo forums for ffmpeg binaries for Macs.
Good point. Some web scouring should turn up usable recent binaries. Perl/Tk on Mac I believe requires an X server (for Tk GUI) in order to run, so that's an aspect that needs to be documented to get up and running. Not sure if Tk module is included with default versions of Mac Perl distributions, so that may be another thing to document, and then some testing would be in order.

Old 10-15-2008, 06:28 AM   #330
Tim Winders

Quote:
For you Mac users it seems like the iTiVo functionality and a lot more is already available in kmttg. All we really need is someone willing to compile binaries of various helper tools (like tivodecode and ffmpeg) under OS X. Those could then be packaged up as a zip file just as I now supply for Windows users so that others don't have to repeat that work.
Aside from that some documentation on getting Perl/Tk running on Mac would be needed and that's about it. As I stated before it's already been done and there really is not much to it for someone with some programming experience. I don't have access to a Mac system so can't do it myself, but I can work with a volunteer to get it done if desired. The process is very similar to getting it running on a Linux system which I have already done (Linux is my main development environment for this app).
I'll work on this today. I tried to get the helper programs up and running a few weeks ago, but got stuck on one of them. Don't remember which at the moment...
Tim Winders is offline   Reply With Quote