Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series 1 - UK
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-13-2008, 01:14 PM   #121
TrainManG
OldTellyMan

TrainManG CV. (If you're interested!)

Quick CV.

1965 From school to Butlins Pwhelli, Lighting and projection.
1966 To BBC AP TVN, Film, studio, OB's.
1968 To Rank Cintel, Head of mechanism test 16mm and 35. (Only me in it!!)
1970 To LWT. Telecine engineer and VTR editor. Then OB's. Nominated BAFTA.
1981 To Complete Video. Editor. Worked extra-curricular on design of BSB - Square aerials - useful later.
1984 To TVS. Technical Co-ordinator, Maidstone and Southampton. Worked on design of studios in the QE2 Conference Centre for TVS.
1992 Freelance engineer working around UK on design and operational projects in satellite and cable operations.
1996 Retired from TV work and started a proper job. Now teaching people to drive trains!!

Over the period 1967 to 1970 did BSc Physics.

Member RTS.
Member SMPTE.
Old 07-13-2008, 01:38 PM   #122
Pete77

Thanks for the info TrainmanG.

What kind of trains are you driving or teaching people to drive?
Old 07-13-2008, 02:02 PM   #123
cwaring
VM Tivo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrainManG View Post
I bought another TiVo 'on spec' last week and it turned out to have a cachecard, 256Mb, 2 x 360BGb, and Lifetime. Owner didn't have a remote so couldn't see what was in it. Cost? £29.00. Sometimes you do get a result!!
YOU BAS......KET CASE Why does that never happen to me?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
with the new
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Get
- TV Guide for Windows

cwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 02:16 PM   #124
TrainManG
OldTellyMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete77 View Post
Thanks for the info TrainmanG.

What kind of trains are you driving or teaching people to drive?
Class 357 phase 1 and 2. Hi-tech computer controlled things on c2c. A great job. Similar to drive to the 375s on SouthEastern.

Geoff.
Old 07-13-2008, 02:20 PM   #125
TrainManG
OldTellyMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwaring View Post
YOU BAS......KET CASE Why does that never happen to me?
I just bid and look about. Don't pay some of the silly prices people ask for basic ones. Sometimes I get a real lemon. Had one that smoked a lot!!!!

Boot sales - where I got the goodie - are a great source. Had 5 over the past 12 months. One's a doorstop!!

Geoff.
Old 07-13-2008, 05:08 PM   #126
Ashley
Aibo nut

Quote:
1970 To LWT. Telecine engineer and VTR editor.
I've worked in LWT's Telecine dept installing (and trying to keep in sync with Rank Cintel Mk3s) a Sondor sound follower.
Old 07-13-2008, 06:40 PM   #127
TCM2007

Quote:
Class 357 phase 1 and 2. Hi-tech computer controlled things on c2c. A great job. Similar to drive to the 375s on SouthEastern.

Geoff.
I had to look that up on Wikipedia, never having heard of a Class 357 or indeed c2c.

Someone has added a section to the entry on these trains giving the exact format of the automatic voice announcements. Why, for the love of Gd, why...?
TCM2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 03:31 PM   #128
ghstone
Novice hacker

getting back on track here %^; what's happening to the subscription/account status problems ?

I have 5 here at the moment, and know of another 5, all with good Lifetime subs, I have no intention of trying to change the identity of the owner on any of them, so hopefully they'll stay okay;

But what about those with monthly subs, and particularly those that haven't been sub'ed for a while ? Will those work if I either give them away to family or sell them on, or am I making a whole lot of trouble for myself in a few weeks time when they stop working ? There's not much point me buying and configuring new Disks if I'm just creating paperweights...
ghstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 04:32 PM   #129
gallen9

sorry to resurrect this one but it seems like a good place for my question.

I've got two boxes, one that's got a lifetime sub (and has had for 5 years) and a second that's never been used.

Just had a disk failure to my first upgrade and have bought another disk and a turbonzet card to go up to a networked Tivo.

I had planned to stick the new drive and the network card into the unused machine and ask nicely if my lifetime could move across.

Should I infer from this thread that do so would invite a closed account that couldn't be resurrected?

I've also got another problem with not being able to find my lineup anymore but I'll post that separately.

cheers

Martin
gallen9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 04:41 PM   #130
Pete77

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallen9 View Post
Should I infer from this thread that do so would invite a closed account that couldn't be resurrected?
Yes that is what you should infer at the present time unless and until Tivo in the USA manage to sort out their problems with opening and closing accounts and transferring lifetime subs between one owner and another.

In short don't do it and instead put your new hard drive and Cachecard in the machine with the working Lifetime Sub.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:19 PM   #131
gallen9

Thanks for such a quick reply - looks like I'll need to get the hoover out to clean five years of dust.

Next step - find a cheap wireless bridge!
gallen9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 05:45 PM   #132
Automan
Ex TiVo User

Quote:

Geoff.
I have used the ones on Southern made by http://www.corys.com/ located at Selhurst & Worthing for 377s and 171.

Such fun setting up support link to makers in France

Automan.
Automan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 10:19 AM   #133
forsterj

Have just signed-up again after 3 years inactivity and am getting the 8: Account Closed message, phone calls to Tivo proved fruitless, they've given me a free month but I'm getting the impression I should just toss the unit in the bin?
forsterj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 10:32 AM   #134
Goooner1

I don't know if you've seen the other thread about suggestions not recording, but that's being "looked into" as well, with no sign of a fix, myself and a few others too, I'm sure are currently wieighing up whether to continue paying a tenner a month for a service that doesn't work correctly
Goooner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 10:39 AM   #135
forsterj

I suspect they want to run the service into the ground. It did look encouraging when the guy from the states seemed to be getting involved but that looks to have become a dead-end, shame.
forsterj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 10:52 AM   #136
cwaring
VM Tivo User

Yeah. He's got nothing to do except post in here of course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goooner1 View Post
I'm sure are currently wieighing up whether to continue paying a tenner a month for a service that doesn't work correctly
Well mine's working perfectly. I don't use suggestions Six of one... etc.

with the new

Get
- TV Guide for Windows

Last edited by cwaring : 09-29-2008 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Edited for reasons of being a perfectionist only
Old 09-29-2008, 05:02 PM   #137
Pete77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goooner1 View Post
myself and a few others too, I'm sure are currently weighing up whether to continue paying a tenner a month for a service that doesn't work correctly
But if you stop paying then Tivo now won't ever let you back on board.

Kind of damned if you do and damned if you don't................................
Old 09-29-2008, 05:46 PM   #138
TiVoPony
TiVo Forum Special Member

Hi all,

Appreciate the reports of issues. We've been working with Sky to identify what happened here, and it turns out that some of their systems were no longer connected to us (thus preventing updates to accounts). That has been corrected, and the two teams (TiVo and Sky) are doing the final checks as to whether everything is back as it should be.

I expect the issues described here should largely be resolved very, very soon.

Thanks,
Bob Pony
Old 09-30-2008, 05:08 AM   #139
blindlemon
tivoheaven.co.uk

Thanks Bob,

Will this require any action from people whose machines are currently awaiting re-activation, or will they suddenly just spring into life of their own accord?

Cheers
Steve
www.tivoheaven.co.uk
blindlemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 05:23 AM   #140
clivewilliams

Has anyone successfully managed to activate a new account recently? Is this confirmed solved?

Thanks in advance,

Clive
clivewilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 02:05 PM   #141
speedyrite

see the bottom of this thread:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=406485

where there seem to be reports of some positive activity on this front
Old 10-10-2008, 03:15 AM   #142
mista_c

Quote:
Originally Posted by clivewilliams View Post
Has anyone successfully managed to activate a new account recently? Is this confirmed solved?

Thanks in advance,

Clive
I wouldn't say its solved exactly, but a big step has been taken in that Tivo UK can now use the 'snooze' tool again, i.e. they can temporarily enable boxes to download listings. How this will work in practice, I don't yet know, but Tivo UK have given me assurances that, if necessary, the snooze signal will be sent on a periodic basis so that there will be no interruption of service.
mista_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 06:43 PM   #143
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

I've been told that we have consistently received regular updates from Sky again since the beginning of the month and that they should no longer need to continually snooze an account to keep service active. If your DVR is still not properly activated, please contact them for further assistance.

TiVoJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 08:05 PM   #144
countjocular

Yesterday I made the 3rd call in 2 weeks to TiVo CS/Sky for them to snooze the unit. It goes to 4. TiVo Internal Testing for about a week then 8. Account Closed. This is despite (supposedly) going onto a list of accounts that they were going to snooze regularly.

TiVoJerry, what further assistance can Sky provide when they're limited to sending snooze commands?

Cheers,
Phil
countjocular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 08:45 PM   #145
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

They should no longer be using the snooze tool on a regular basis. They should be activating the unit properly. The snooze tool is just meant to cover the gap between your call and when the service activation can be delivered to us.

It's disappointing to hear that they still aren't processing your subscription properly. My recommendation would be to ask for a supervisor who can get the activation done correctly. Now that communications have been restored, I'll have to ask the internation relations team how they would want examples delivered and get back to you. I'm trying not to insert myself into the escalation process for every single account issue that they have.

Old 10-27-2008, 06:58 PM   #146
hifly2000

can some one tell me how to get on the auto snooze list as i'm getting fed up with missing programs and having to ring up every week to get my service back.

thanks
hifly2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:56 PM   #147
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

There should be no "auto snooze" list anymore as they should now be processing account activations normally. If the service rep cannot help get your account restored properly, ask to speak with a supervisor. Communications from us to Sky don't seem to make it to every one of their agents on the floor.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:29 PM   #148
countjocular

5: Lifetime Service resumed

Called customer service Fri 17th and asked them to reactivate my account properly, get a supervisor to do it etc.
By the monday or tuesday I was pleasantly surprised to see the Lifetime service had been reinstated!
I hope everyone else affected gets their service back soon, though I presume it won't happen automatically. How long has the TiVo CS number been missing from the on-screen information?

Cheers,
Phil
countjocular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 05:12 AM   #149
cwaring
VM Tivo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by countjocular View Post
How long has the TiVo CS number been missing from the on-screen information?
Forever, as far as I kmow.

with the new

Get
- TV Guide for Windows

Old 10-28-2008, 01:07 PM   #150
hifly2000

I have just spoken with the call center and been told that some accounts are still not working, the guy i spoke to (peter) went and checked with his supervisor and was told there was no auto snooze and they would have to maually snooze my account every week until the problems are sorted.

He has made a note in his diary to do the snoozing every monday so i don't have to miss shows and make calls to get it sorted. Watch this space.........
hifly2000 is offline   Reply With Quote