Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > Developers Corner
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-09-2008, 12:10 PM   #61
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousMark View Post
Try it again after a day, just in case indexing is pushing it over the edge.
Yeah, I thought of that. The thing is, it well may be performance-related as to whether it shows up or not, but it should not happen, under any circumstances. It should not even be possible to send anything over HME that ever crashes your TiVo, or kills any of its functions. The whole point of the design of HME is to keep things safely sandboxed. So it's failing in a big way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 08:41 PM   #62
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

I will say that "Transitions" seems to be working better in 9.3; I haven't had it lose its place yet. But "Effects" still crashes immediately for me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-18-2008, 04:24 PM   #63
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousMark View Post
Bummer, I only tested it for about 10 or 15 seconds, I guess I should have tried for much longer.
So, have you tried it again?

I finally got 9.3a on my S3 today, and not surprisingly, everything works fine there, as it did before. (I did have an instance of the icons disappearing, though, requiring an hmeserver restart.) So at this point, I'm thinking to make the Animate/Effects check fail for anything that's not an S3 or HD, running 9.x -- or maybe, being optimistic, just 9.1 and 9.3.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:25 PM   #64
jbcooley

Any chance of seeing this run on Google App Engine? I think that would be cool to be able to host your tivo apps on google servers. I wish there were a similar service I could use for my .NET SDK.
jbcooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 11:26 PM   #65
jbcooley

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcooley View Post
Any chance of seeing this run on Google App Engine?
Sorry, forgot the link.
http://code.google.com/appengine/doc...appengine.html
Old 04-24-2008, 04:00 AM   #66
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Any chance of seeing this run on Google App Engine?
I'll look into that... I've tried to get it to run as CGI, but couldn't quite make that work, at least not with Apache. I think it should be possible with mod-python, but so far I haven't got that working either.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:36 AM   #67
s2kdave

Yeah, that would be awesome if it does work. The biggest problem is that you can't open your own socket though or access the file system. So you are at the mercy of the web server that google provides. HME keeps a HTTP socket open/connected as long as you are using the app. I can see the google app engine killing the socket after a certain time period.
s2kdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 01:10 PM   #68
jbcooley

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2kdave View Post
I can see the google app engine killing the socket after a certain time period.
This is part of the problem I had with IIS.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:15 PM   #69
s2kdave

Quote:
This is part of the problem I had with IIS.
That's the exact problem I had to solve with the Apache Tomcat Catnip extensions I made too. Any respectable web server will kill the connection after a certain time period.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:50 PM   #70
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

0.12 -- No big stuff; mostly internal reorganization. Here's hoping that the next release will support video streaming.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:47 PM   #71
jbcooley

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
0.12 -- No big stuff; mostly internal reorganization. Here's hoping that the next release will support video streaming.
If you've got some protocol docs on that, please share.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:45 PM   #72
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

I don't. I'm hoping it's easy to reverse-engineer... or that TiVo publishes an updated spec...

Old 07-31-2008, 12:54 AM   #73
s2kdave

Quote:
I don't. I'm hoping it's easy to reverse-engineer... or that TiVo publishes an updated spec...
It's not going to be an easy reverse engineer. Swivel search uses 2 way SSL certificates (albeit self signed) and I'm willing to bet youtube will do the same. But I definitely am interested in video streaming too so if you do figure it out. please share. :-)
Old 07-31-2008, 07:00 PM   #74
PaulS

Quote:
It's not going to be an easy reverse engineer. Swivel search uses 2 way SSL certificates (albeit self signed) and I'm willing to bet youtube will do the same. But I definitely am interested in video streaming too so if you do figure it out. please share. :-)
Not necessarily. There's no reason to suspect that's the case.

Swivel Search allows proprietary comms between a TiVo unit and one or more servers at TiVo headquarters. These comms include accessing (at a minimum) guide data from Tribune that TiVo licenses, and is likely obligated to protect from intrustion. I can definitely understand why TiVo would want to lock that down.

YouTube features open API's that anyone can code against, as far as I can tell. Why would TiVo or Google need to encrypt these sessions ?

We'll find out soon enough. Someone over on the pyTivo forums is going to set up a capture and see exactly what's going on with the YouTube HME streaming.
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 10:57 AM   #75
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
It's not going to be an easy reverse engineer.
Then again, maybe it is.

Or maybe that's more educated guessing then reverse engineering... anyway, it works.

Old 08-01-2008, 11:44 AM   #76
s2kdave

Sweet! you rock.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:09 PM   #77
s2kdave

I just tested this equivalent java code and it works. There is one issue though. It has a long pause before starting the video after the please wait goes away (about 13 seconds). I'm guessing it's probably downloading the entire video before starting rather than streaming it. I tested this with the 1.4 HME SDK.

Code:
public class TestVideo extends BApplication {

@Override
    public void init(IContext context) throws Exception {
        super.init(context);

getRoot().setResource(createStream("http://192.168.1.114:7288/video/test.mp4"));
    }

public static class TestVideoFactory extends Factory {

@Override
        public InputStream getStream(String uri) throws IOException {
            if (uri.endsWith("test.mp4")) {
                return new FileInputStream("skatedog.mp4");
            }
            return super.getStream(uri);
        }

}
}

Old 08-01-2008, 09:32 PM   #78
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

I would say it's buffering, but not downloading the whole video. You can see a similar effect in the YouTube app. I got HME to play (well, play maybe the first half of, before I got an error) an hour-long MPEG-2 video, and it still only took ten seconds or so to start.

Edit: Actually, I take it back -- the recording was only 23 minutes (only the first part of an hour-long program), and it was played back completely. The error I was seeing was due to premature closure of the second request the TiVo made for the file... why it made a second request is another issue.

Last edited by wmcbrine : 08-02-2008 at 08:50 AM.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:46 PM   #79
ebdavison

I love this idea -- HME from python. I have used Tivo ToGo quite a bit in the past but it has been "broken" lately and has not been downloading anything. I would like to add this feature to your hmeserver but am not sure how to even start. Do you have an app like this already? if not, any pointers on how I would go about getting a start on this?
ebdavison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:51 PM   #80
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

TiVoToGo = HMO. It's outside the scope of HME. You may want to look at pyTivo. Or am I misunderstanding your question?

Old 08-06-2008, 03:55 PM   #81
ebdavison

Quote:
TiVoToGo = HMO. It's outside the scope of HME. You may want to look at pyTivo. Or am I misunderstanding your question?
Maybe it is my misunderstanding. I do not know the difference between HMO and HME, actually.

But, I was wanting to implement something like TivoToGo to download shows. Maybe pyTivo is the right solution, I do not know. I did not see this sort of capability in it though.

And downloads from the Tivo via the web interface are PAINFULLY slow. I mean like 12k - 250k every 30 seconds. A download of a 30 min show (approx 600Mb) has taken 28 hours so far to download 280Mb. This is using a bash script that I cooked up. galleon just quit the download after about 2mb every time I restarted the server.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:52 PM   #82
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebdavison View Post
But, I was wanting to implement something like TivoToGo to download shows. Maybe pyTivo is the right solution, I do not know. I did not see this sort of capability in it though.
It's part of the admin module. See this thread on the pyTiVo forums:

http://pytivo.krkeegan.com/release-2...togo-t204.html

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 04:56 PM   #83
ebdavison

I see the files but do now know how to download from the git hosting site. I have git installed on my linux box but that is all I know about it. Any pointers?
Old 08-08-2008, 12:19 PM   #84
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Getting back on topic:

0.13 -- So as it turns out, version 0.12 (and prior) was already capable of video streaming (to an S3/HD with 9.4). This version focuses on improvements to hmeserver.py, allowing you to specify apps to run on the command line, along with other options.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:43 AM   #85
Allanon

I found when using HME Python 0.13 and setting the base path to 'c:/' in windows the Tivo can't find the program's icons. It doesn't prevent the programs from working but no icon is displayed.
Allanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 12:32 PM   #86
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

From the point of view of hmeserver, the icons are just regular files; so, they have to be in the correct location under the basepath (basepath + program name + "icon.png", e.g., "c:/test/icon.png").

Old 08-19-2008, 01:05 PM   #87
Allanon

I found my problem I edited the HMEServer.py file and changed self.basepath = basepath to self.basepath = 'c:/' so I wouldn't need to use the -b option but I didn't notice that you did other checking for the base path so if I use the -b option it does work correctly.

Last edited by Allanon : 08-19-2008 at 01:15 PM.
Allanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 08:20 PM   #88
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Version 0.14

hmeserver now separates the app and data roots, to allow keeping icons etc. together with their apps, while having data elsewhere. The new command-line option "--datapath" specifies the data root, while "--basepath" still sets the app root. Files outside of app directories (including those in the app root, which had previously been allowed) are now forbidden unless the datapath is set.

The initial transparency of a View can now be set via the "transparency" keyword parameter when creating it, instead of being settable only by a call to set_transparency().

Old 09-08-2008, 04:25 PM   #89
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

I never did properly answer the question about Google Apps.

Quote:
I can see the google app engine killing the socket after a certain time period.
Indeed, that's what it does:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Google
Application code only runs in response to a web request, and must return response data within a few seconds. A request handler cannot spawn a sub-process or execute code after the response has been sent.
So, I'm afraid Google Apps won't work as an HME host.

Old 09-25-2008, 03:57 PM   #90
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Version 0.15

Some changes that I found useful now that I'm seriously working with this library (in HME/VLC) -- mainly, config file parsing for the server (which is now called "start.py", although I still expect to refer to it as "hmeserver").