TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-21-2008, 10:33 AM   #271
jmpage2

Are you even allowed to call a Windows path name from under Linux? I'm not sure that it will ever work (to call a WINE executable from within a Linux shell environment). You should just get the Linux binaries and have them installed as mentioned in the installation instructions. I haven't tried the Linux version yet but I don't imagine it would be too difficult to set up.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 12:31 PM   #272
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbigman View Post
first off, thanks for the great program. I am having one glitch that I hope you can help me solve. I am running kmttg under linux and it is working fine except for when it try's to run comskip. I get the following error: *ERROR* comskip binary not found: c:\windows\comskip - I am using the windows version of comskip under wine and from the command line it works great. It produces a *.edl file that I can then go back into kmttg and run the comcut and that works great. so I am trying to find out what to put on the configuration line to get kmttg to call comskip using wine? I can't be the only one right?
I've never used Wine before but I would think somewhere you need to call Wine as the main executable followed by the windows binary you wish to invoke (in this case comskip.exe). What's the exact command you use on linux command line that works?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 01:05 PM   #273
tbigman

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
I've never used Wine before but I would think somewhere you need to call Wine as the main executable followed by the windows binary you wish to invoke (in this case comskip.exe). What's the exact command you use on linux command line that works?
Thanks for the quick response:

the command from the linux terminal is this:

wine comskip "nameofshow.mpg"
tbigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 01:07 PM   #274
tbigman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
Are you even allowed to call a Windows path name from under Linux? I'm not sure that it will ever work (to call a WINE executable from within a Linux shell environment). You should just get the Linux binaries and have them installed as mentioned in the installation instructions. I haven't tried the Linux version yet but I don't imagine it would be too difficult to set up.
I have not been able to find the linux binaries. if you know where they are can you send me a link? I did find the source with a version that runs on a mac. but when I run the make file, it dumps errors about ppc and then stops. I don't know enough yet to edit the files to work on my setup. not a noob, but also not a progamer.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:06 PM   #275
moyekj

Quote:
Thanks for the quick response:

the command from the linux terminal is this:

wine comskip "nameofshow.mpg"
In kmttg config what are you entering for comskip path? Make sure you give the full path to wine followed by a space followed by comskip (assuming wine knows where to find comskip).

Old 09-21-2008, 02:29 PM   #276
tbigman

Quote:
In kmttg config what are you entering for comskip path? Make sure you give the full path to wine followed by a space followed by comskip (assuming wine knows where to find comskip).
I was not giving the full path: so I changed it to:

/usr/bin/wine /home/john/Media/Downloads/kmttg/comskip.exe
and get the following error:
*ERROR* comskip binary not found: /usr/bin/wine /home/john/Media/Downloads/kmttg/comskip.exe

so then I put comskip.exe in the wine windows\system dir and changed the path in kmttg to:
/usr/bin/wine comskip
*ERROR* comskip binary not found: /usr/bin/wine comskip

so is there a linux version of comskip? I wold just rather use it if it's available.
Old 09-21-2008, 04:16 PM   #277
moyekj

Quote:
so is there a linux version of comskip? I wold just rather use it if it's available.
You have to build from source. You can obtain the source with svn:
svn checkout svn://svn.kaashoek.com
However my brief attempts to build it under cygwin failed and I don't see instructions anywhere how to build it.

Old 09-21-2008, 04:27 PM   #278
moyekj

Quote:
I was not giving the full path: so I changed it to:

/usr/bin/wine /home/john/Media/Downloads/kmttg/comskip.exe
*ERROR* comskip binary not found: /usr/bin/wine /home/john/Media/Downloads/kmttg/comskip.exe

so then I put comskip.exe in the wine windows\system dir and changed the path in kmttg to:
/usr/bin/wine comskip
*ERROR* comskip binary not found: /usr/bin/wine comskip

Thinking about it some more I have a better idea. Make a "wrapper" comskip script that calls wine. Example, make a "comskip" shell script (make sure it's set to executable) that looks something like:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
/usr/bin/wine /home/john/Media/Downloads/kmttg/comskip.exe $@
Make sure shell script is executable (chmod +x comskip)
Then enter full path to above shell script as comskip path and that should work.

Old 09-21-2008, 04:49 PM   #279
tbigman

Quote:
Thinking about it some more I have a better idea. Make a "wrapper" comskip script that calls wine. Example, make a "comskip" shell script (make sure it's set to executable) that looks something like:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
/usr/bin/wine /home/john/Media/Downloads/kmttg/comskip.exe $@
Make sure shell script is executable (chmod +x comskip)
Then enter full path to above shell script as comskip path and that should work.
well, it's better. at least now it launches comskip: but I think there is a problem if there is a space in the title of the show. see error:

>> SCANNING FOR COMMERCIALS IN /home/john/Media/Downloads/kmttg/Smallville - Odyssey_Thu_Sep_18.mpg ...
"/home/john/Media/Downloads/kmttg/comskip" --ini "/home/john/Media/Downloads/kmttg/comskip.ini" "/home/john/Media/Downloads/kmttg/Smallville - Odyssey_Thu_Sep_18.mpg"
*ERROR* comskip failed (exit code: 2) - check above /home/john/Media/Downloads/kmttg/comskip command
Comskip 0.79.48, made using:

mpeg2dec-0.4.1-cvs - by Michel Lespinasse <walken@zoy.org> and Aaron Holtzman

I ran kmttg in terminal to see if there was a clue as to what happened and got this:
Errors:
ComSkip: excess parameter "Odyssey_Thu_Sep_18.mpg"

so it looks like we need to wrap the show name in " quotes " if there is a space right?
is there a simple way to do that with the script you posted?

thank you so much for taking the time to teach me some new stuff.

I am going to pick a show with no spaces or remove the title from the download and see if it works. I will post back my results.

I changed the way the files are auto named to : [mainTitle]_[episodeTitle] and have started a test download/decrypt/comskip/comcut and will see what happens.

Last edited by tbigman : 09-21-2008 at 05:03 PM. Reason: update info
Old 09-21-2008, 04:54 PM   #280
moyekj

I think the problem is comskip is identifying the '-' after Smallville as a command line switch. A simplified file name without a '-' maybe will work.

Old 09-21-2008, 04:55 PM   #281
moyekj

New version just released. If you use the FILES mode and files with .mpeg extension there is a critical fix in this release:

------------------
v0.4k (09/21/2008)
------------------
ENHANCEMENTS:
* Added configuration option for separate mpeg cut path (for comcut step).

FIX:
* Fixed unintentional deletion of file with .mpeg suffix in FILES mode

Old 09-21-2008, 07:33 PM   #282
tbigman

Quote:
I think the problem is comskip is identifying the '-' after Smallville as a command line switch. A simplified file name without a '-' maybe will work.
Success!

I was able to very simply add the quotes to the comskip script that you posted like this:

#!/bin/sh
/usr/bin/wine comskip.exe "$@"

and that takes care of the spaces in the shows name. I now have it working on Linux Mint 5 Elyssa.

Thank you so much for your program and for your help.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:35 AM   #283
momanz

Very nice work! I just found this gem and I have been able to get things up and running quickly. I had been using etivo for a couple of years, but after a recent upgrade to vista I've not been able to get etivo working again, so this is a real life saver. For those who are interested I'm using comskip & videoredo to trim out commercials and mencoder to transcode.

I do have a couple of feature requests...

1) Would it be possible to have a directory created for each file downloaded (the downloaded file should be placed in this directory)? The directory name would mirror the file name (minus the extension). This tends to keep things a bit neater since we can store all the post processing files/logs for a given show within its own directory.

2) Give us the ability to select between different encoder parameters for different jobs. That way I could have a batch file for my iphone encodes, another for DIVX transcoding, a third for WMV files I'd like to create, etc. A really flexible way of doing this would be to allow us to select between different batch/script files when queuing up a job. What one could do (and this is what etivo effectively did) is program the ability to register batch files with kmttg and then have the name of the batch files available for selection from a dropdown menu in the UI.

Anyhow, just a couple ideas on how to improve a really good program.

Thanks again.
momanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 05:03 PM   #284
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmike View Post
Say I have 3 TiVos. If I switch between them, it appears to re-fetch the NPL each time. It would be nice if that data was cached with some sort of time-out (30 minutes maybe, or make it a config) so that you could browse more quickly. It would also give you the data for browsing a combined list as an added bonus.
Thanks for the suggestion - it's especially useful for Tivos with a lot of content where the NPL query can take a while. Next release will have a NPL cache time. Defaults to 10 minutes but you can change in config. There will also be a menu entry to clear cache at any time. Will not support multiple combined Tivo listings as that would entail a lot more work to implement.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:40 PM   #285
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by momanz View Post
Very nice work! I just found this gem and I have been able to get things up and running quickly. I had been using etivo for a couple of years, but after a recent upgrade to vista I've not been able to get etivo working again, so this is a real life saver. For those who are interested I'm using comskip & videoredo to trim out commercials and mencoder to transcode.

I do have a couple of feature requests...

1) Would it be possible to have a directory created for each file downloaded (the downloaded file should be placed in this directory)? The directory name would mirror the file name (minus the extension). This tends to keep things a bit neater since we can store all the post processing files/logs for a given show within its own directory.

2) Give us the ability to select between different encoder parameters for different jobs. That way I could have a batch file for my iphone encodes, another for DIVX transcoding, a third for WMV files I'd like to create, etc. A really flexible way of doing this would be to allow us to select between different batch/script files when queuing up a job. What one could do (and this is what etivo effectively did) is program the ability to register batch files with kmttg and then have the name of the batch files available for selection from a dropdown menu in the UI.

Anyhow, just a couple ideas on how to improve a really good program.

Thanks again.
For next release I'm working on capabilities to address both 1) & 2).

For the encoding capability I'm re-working the whole thing to make things easier while more flexible at the same time. Specifically:
- Define an encode folder which contains pre-defined encoding profiles for popular devices such as Ipod, PS3, Xbox, etc. Each profile is a separate file ending in .enc. Each .enc file defines an encoding name, brief description, command and file suffix to use. The command can be any executable (including batch scripts) you like as well as customary ffmpeg and/or mencoder.
- Give user ability to add own custom encoding profiles (simply create your own custom .enc file)
- Encoding profile selection in the GUI (based on all .enc files)
- In auto mode, ability to assign different encoding profiles to each task

This should make the encoding setup much easier and more flexible than it is currently.

Last edited by moyekj : 09-23-2008 at 07:48 PM.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:39 PM   #286
jmpage2

Quote:

For the encoding capability I'm re-working the whole thing to make things easier while more flexible at the same time. Specifically:
- Define an encode folder which contains pre-defined encoding profiles for popular devices such as Ipod, PS3, Xbox, etc. Each profile is a separate file ending in .enc. Each .enc file defines an encoding name, brief description, command and file suffix to use. The command can be any executable (including batch scripts) you like as well as customary ffmpeg and/or mencoder.
- Give user ability to add own custom encoding profiles (simply create your own custom .enc file)

This should make the encoding setup much easier and more flexible than it is currently.
This is awesome news and will go even further towards cementing your app as THE app for Tivo download and encode for those of us who don't want to deal with Tivo Desktop!

Old 09-23-2008, 10:50 PM   #287
momanz

Quote:

Excellent!!! Glad to see that you are continuing to develop your app.
Old 09-24-2008, 04:45 PM   #288
pmrowley

I just started playing with this program, and I'm very impressed with the polish, power, and ease of use! However, when I download and decrypt my .TIVO files from my S3, there is a line on the top of the displayed video, that looks like static. Am I seeing an overscan line that's getting included in the visual area, or do I have something configured incorrectly?
(Haven't tested this with HD programs; currently downloading one. This behavior is observed on SD programs.) Obviously, I don't see this when watching straight from the S3 on my TV.

Thx,
-P
pmrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 04:54 PM   #289
mrmike
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmrowley View Post
I just started playing with this program, and I'm very impressed with the polish, power, and ease of use! However, when I download and decrypt my .TIVO files from my S3, there is a line on the top of the displayed video, that looks like static. Am I seeing an overscan line that's getting included in the visual area, or do I have something configured incorrectly?
Most likely you're seeing the VBI data (CC, etc.) which many incorrectly configured broadcast head ends send out in the top video lines since they assume people still overscan. In the current era of 1:1 HDTVs this practice should (if the world is just) die off soon.
mrmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 05:06 PM   #290
pmrowley

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmike View Post
Most likely you're seeing the VBI data (CC, etc.) which many incorrectly configured broadcast head ends send out in the top video lines since they assume people still overscan. In the current era of 1:1 HDTVs this practice should (if the world is just) die off soon.
Is there any way to crop the entire MPEG datastream to eliminate that data, or do I just have to live with it? (I would suppose that if I were to burn it to a DVD in its present form, it would disappear if viewed on a TV, since the overscan areas are ignored?)

Thx,
-P
pmrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 05:06 PM   #291
moyekj

Quote:
(Haven't tested this with HD programs; currently downloading one. This behavior is observed on SD programs.) Obviously, I don't see this when watching straight from the S3 on my TV.

Thx,
-P
Yes as mentioned above that is the VBI line. When you play back on your computer often it's 1:1 display with no overscan. My 47" Westinghouse TV (which really is a monitor since it has no tuners) is a 1:1 display with no overscan and as a result for many SD programs (and SD programs on HD channels) I see the top line noise unless I turn on some kind of zoom to crop it out.
For the same program that you extracted to your computer where you are seeing noise if you stream it back to your Tivo (or transfer it back) and play it you won't see the noise on your TV.

Old 09-24-2008, 05:10 PM   #292
moyekj

Quote:
Is there any way to crop the entire MPEG datastream to eliminate that data, or do I just have to live with it? (I would suppose that if I were to burn it to a DVD in its present form, it would disappear if viewed on a TV, since the overscan areas are ignored?)

Thx,
-P
You can physically crop it out only by re-encoding and cropping out some of the top lines (can be a lengthy process with some quality degradation), but if your goal is just to view it back on your overscan TV there is no need to do that. As I mentioned above to prove to yourself that's the case you don't even have to burn it to a DVD and then play it back - simply stream it back or transfer it back to your Tivo and play it to see for yourself.

Old 09-26-2008, 05:40 PM   #293
moyekj

New version just released

A lot of work and changes went into this update but hopefully it was all worth it. Note that for the encoding profiles I am not able to test them on all the different devices so if you have any of the target devices please try them out and let me know how they work. Also if you have suggestions for additional profiles let me know (and preferrably the ffmpeg command to go with it).
I did quite a bit of testing so hopefully nothing major is broken but with this many changes it's hard to keep on top of and test every condition. Please report any issues here or by email or P.M.

------------------
v0.5a (09/26/2008)
------------------
ENHANCEMENTS:
* Overhauled the encoding setup to make it easier to use as well as more flexible:
- Added pre-defined encoding profiles for Ipod, PS3, Xbox360, PSP, Tivo Streaming
and low and high bitrate H.264.
- Each encoding profile is defined in an "encode" folder with a .enc file extension
- You can add your own or modify existing .enc files to add more profiles
- Added encoding profiles to create Tivo streamable H.264 mpeg4 videos
- Menu entry added for refreshing encoding profiles so you don't have to re-start
kmttg when adding/modifying profiles.

* Overhauled auto downloads setup to allow different tasks
(metadata, decrypt, comskip, comcut, encode) to be defined for each
entry. You can also define different encoding profiles to each as well if you
use the encode option.

* Added an UPDATE button in auto download configuration to allow modifying an
existing entry instead of having to delete it and re-enter it.

* Added "Create sub-folder" option which if enabled will create a separate
sub-folder for each show that is processed. The sub-folder is defined with
same name as the File Naming definition but without any file suffix.

* Added "[/]" keyword to File Naming definition which represents a folder separator
so that you can define custom sub-folders as part of the output files.

* Added Now Playing List caching
- This avoids having to wait to re-download Now Playing List for a Tivo if you have
already downloaded it recently in the same kmttg session.
- Configuration option added to define cache timeout (can specify 0 for no cache)
- Menu entry added to clear all cache

* Included recent version of ffmpeg in win32 tools zip file with more codecs compiled
in as well as ability to encode H.264 + AC3.

===IMPORTANT NOTES AND CONFIGURATION CHANGES===

* For Windows users you should download the kmttg_win32_tools_v0p5.zip package to
get the new version of ffmpeg. Also, since the path to ffmpeg changed you should
adjust your path to ffmpeg in configuration accordingly.

* Because of changes in auto downloads you must re-run auto download configuration
and assign which tasks you want to run for each entry.

* The kmttg zip file now includes an "encode" folder with encoding profiles as well
as a "qt-faststart" folder (see documentation for details on that).

Old 09-27-2008, 11:00 PM   #294
jmpage2

AWESOME!!!

Thanks so much for taking a lot of time to add the many changes that people like me were requesting.

I will hopefully get the opportunity tomorrow to test a lot of this out. I have an iPod Touch and I think that there are some specific ffmpeg encoding steps for that and the iphone, so I'll see what I can do to test.

I also have a PS3 that I can test with.

Thanks!
Old 09-28-2008, 07:06 PM   #295
momanz

Nice work. I spent the better part of this morning learning how to write a simple perl script (dont' know any perl), but i've finally got that sorted. The script calls VideoRedo to cut out commercials (from a comskip detection file) and contains the Mencoder settings I've been using for my encodes. I have noticed that sometimes the UI will freeze if I rapidly switch back and forth between windows. Processing seems to continue I just no longer have access to the interface until the command that is running is completed.

Thanks for implementing the subfolder option it really helps keep things tidy when debugging or if you want to keep any of the temp files / logs for future encodes.

I do have one more suggestion... <grin>
Could you provide an option to prevent a puter from hibernating or going to sleep while an encode or download is in progress? Yes I know I can change my settings manually, but hey, thought I'd ask.

Keep up the good work.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:37 PM   #296
ghjames

Fabulious work.

I've now integrated my TIVO videos with my web media server. To simplify the selection and downloading of videos, I've made the following modification to the script. It allows me to auto encode any Tivo video I've marked to "Not Delete", it allows total selective encoding control from the Tivo itself.

# Construct all text to be matched against
my $text = $$entry_ptr{titleOnly};
if ($$entry_ptr{episodeTitle}) {
$text = "$text $$entry_ptr{episodeTitle}";
}
if ($$entry_ptr{description}) {
$text = "$text $$entry_ptr{description}";
}
if ($$entry_ptr{ExpirationImage}) {
$text = "$text $$entry_ptr{ExpirationImage}";
}

In the Auto Transfers Configuration I enter:
save-until-i-delete-recording

In the title field.

Keep up the good work.
ghjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 11:50 PM   #297
jmpage2

Unfortunately I haven't had time to try the new program yet as I've been slammed with work. Hopefully sometime this week I can try doing some downloads and encodes to test with my iPod and PS3.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:04 AM   #298
kevinmtu

audio sync problems

Hello,

First post here, just bought a TiVo HD and am having a hard time transferring / encoding the files on my computer. The problem that I have is that the audio is off pretty bad. I have tried not using the comcut as I read somewhere in the thread that sometimes is the culprit, but the audio is still off. Another problem that I am having is that about 3/4 off the way through the program I get a strange image as shown in the screen shot below. I have tried many different shows, SH and HD, with no luck. Any ideas? I am running the latest version of kmttg.

Thanks for all of your work on the program, hopefully I can start enjoying it soon!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 1.jpg (91.7 KB, 41 views)
kevinmtu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 10:19 AM   #299
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinmtu View Post
Hello,

First post here, just bought a TiVo HD and am having a hard time transferring / encoding the files on my computer. The problem that I have is that the audio is off pretty bad. I have tried not using the comcut as I read somewhere in the thread that sometimes is the culprit, but the audio is still off. Another problem that I am having is that about 3/4 off the way through the program I get a strange image as shown in the screen shot below. I have tried many different shows, SH and HD, with no luck. Any ideas? I am running the latest version of kmttg.

Thanks for all of your work on the program, hopefully I can start enjoying it soon!
A few questions:
1. Are you serious about the above picture? Sounds like a hoax. Exactly where is this image appearing?
2. Have you checked the decrypted (.mpg) files? Do they have any of the issues you are describing.
3. Which encoding profile are you using?
4. Have you tried different encoding profiles?
5. Are you using the ffmpeg installation provided in the kmttg_win32_tools_v0p5.zip?

Old 09-30-2008, 01:57 PM   #300
kevinmtu

1. I am quite serious about the image in the picture, it is the strangest thing. I have figured out why it is happening however. That image is an actual part of the show, but the encoding gets stuck at that point so it just appears to keep turning.

2. The decrypted mpg files play and look great, the audio matches up fine.

3. I have been using the xbox encoding profile

4. I tried the h264_high_rate profile as well

5. Yes, I am using the ffmpeg encoder inside the latest installation.

I have even tried installing kmttg on a different computer with the same results.

Any other ideas? Thanks for your reply

Quote:
A few questions:
1. Are you serious about the above picture? Sounds like a hoax. Exactly where is this image appearing?
2. Have you checked the decrypted (.mpg) files? Do they have any of the issues you are describing.
3. Which encoding profile are you using?
4. Have you tried different encoding profiles?
5. Are you using the ffmpeg installation provided in the kmttg_win32_tools_v0p5.zip?

kevinmtu is offline   Reply With Quote