TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-18-2008, 05:02 AM   #1
danjw1

Series 3 and the MCard?

Does the series 3 support using a single mcard with both tuners?

I am concerned because I am returning my tivo for a warranty replacement and they said they would send me a series 3 instead. I asked if the m-card would work properly, and the csr said yes. But, I was just checking the cable card faq thread and it says it doesn't. Do I need to have Tivo send me an HD so I don't have to pay a monthly few for a second cable card?

Thanks,

Dan
danjw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 05:06 AM   #2
jrm01

The m-card will work on the S3, but only as a single tuner. Therefore you would need 2.

However, the S3 may be worth the extra cost for the added benefits (storage, remote, etc.).
jrm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 07:51 AM   #3
Gregor

I have an S3 running with 2 M-cards with no problems.

MK:3523-2615-6739

Do not taunt happy thread counts.
Gregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 07:58 AM   #4
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

if it was me - I would ask for another TiVo HD
Old 08-18-2008, 08:01 AM   #5
radtechy

i agree a TiVo HD with one M-Card so you reduce the chance of having the cards not communicating with each other

one card should elimate that problem
radtechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 08:47 AM   #6
rainwater

I wouldn't accept a S3 for a warranty replacement for a TiVo HD. They are just trying to dump the remaining S3 stock they have most likely.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 11:01 AM   #7
Gregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by radtechy View Post
i agree a TiVo HD with one M-Card so you reduce the chance of having the cards not communicating with each other

one card should elimate that problem
The cards do not communicate with each other, only back to the head-end of the cable system.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:31 PM   #8
TiVoPony
TiVo Forum Special Member

Dan, I've checked and it's not our policy to replace a TiVo HD with a Series3 product. I believe the call agent was mistaken in what he told you. If you can send me a private message with your case number or contact info we can use that to look into this.

Thanks!
Pony
Old 08-18-2008, 02:48 PM   #9
HiKent

Pony,

Back to the real question: Is M-Card support in the S3 ever going to arrive? Have you forgotten, or is it technically impossible?

Here, TWC charges over $200/year for the second S-Card. I would have replaced my S3 long ago with an THD were it not for my lifetime service & the hope you might add support RealSoonNow. The Owner's Manual and the silkscreen on the back indicate it was planned, so maybe it's coming -- just like the Blue LED for network transfers didn't work -- and then one day it did...

Why not take a page from the Netflix playbook & lay it out. Something like "the chipset doesn't work reliably with SA M-Cards", or "we've been chasing down pixelation & didn't think M-Cards are that big of a deal", or "sorry you're screwed by TWC -- we can transfer lifetime to a THD if that would help", etc.

Thanks.
HiKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 03:35 PM   #10
dig_duggler
losing enthusiasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiKent View Post
Pony,

Back to the real question: Is M-Card support in the S3 ever going to arrive? Have you forgotten, or is it technically impossible?

Here, TWC charges over $200/year for the second S-Card. I would have replaced my S3 long ago with an THD were it not for my lifetime service & the hope you might add support RealSoonNow. The Owner's Manual and the silkscreen on the back indicate it was planned, so maybe it's coming -- just like the Blue LED for network transfers didn't work -- and then one day it did...

Why not take a page from the Netflix playbook & lay it out. Something like "the chipset doesn't work reliably with SA M-Cards", or "we've been chasing down pixelation & didn't think M-Cards are that big of a deal", or "sorry you're screwed by TWC -- we can transfer lifetime to a THD if that would help", etc.

Thanks.
We're not going to get an answer, but ditto. My provider can't get my 2nd cc to work in my S3 (after it working for a year and a half) and I honestly don't think it's broken, but they are incompetent. Lifetime on it keeps me from going the Tivo HD route. I still hold out a tiny bit of hope, but bringing new (if you can call it that) features to a discontinued model seems extremely unlikely.
dig_duggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 05:20 PM   #11
jrm01

Quote:
Here, TWC charges over $200/year for the second S-Card.
What! You mean they charge you over $17 per month for a second card in the same device? I hope that you have reported this to the FCC and your local Franchise Authority. I know that the FCC never set any rates for these cards but I would think that rate is excessive and violates the intent of cablecard support.
jrm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 05:27 PM   #12
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm01 View Post
What! You mean they charge you over $17 per month for a second card in the same device? I hope that you have reported this to the FCC and your local Franchise Authority. I know that the FCC never set any rates for these cards but I would think that rate is excessive and violates the intent of cablecard support.
In many cases, the 2nd card itself isn't that much. However, they will try to charge you with an outlet fee. So technically, they can get around the guidelines set by the FCC even if they are ripping you off.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 05:31 PM   #13
HiKent

That's right: $8/month additional outlet + $6.95 HD fee (per cablecard) + $3.10/month cablecard rental + 8.7% tax/franchise fee = Total: $19.62/mo or $235/year.

Of course, they aren't currently charging the HD fee (per cablecard). They canceled that last October when they removed *all HD* from cablecard because of SDV (even though only a few of the HD channels are actually SDV, but that's a different thread...)
Old 08-18-2008, 05:42 PM   #14
morac
Cat God

Quote:
The page that used to state that they were examining single M-Card support for the S3 is no longer on TiVo's site. Add that to the fact that it's been almost 2 years since the S3 came out and that (new) S3's are no longer for sale and I think it's pretty clear that they've given up supporting a single M-Card in the S3.
morac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 06:50 PM   #15
TiVoPony
TiVo Forum Special Member

Quote:
Pony,

As I explained in April, this is a risky development proposition. I will never say never, because there are very few absolutes (except death and taxes of course). But it's very, very unlikely.

From earlier this year:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoPony View Post
Likewise, features such as QAM remapping and M-Card S3 support do not target a significant portion of our subscribers, both are in fact very small numbers of subscribers. That doesn't mean that they automatically get set aside, or that TiVo is ignoring or doesn't care about those customers. But it is a consideration when trading off those features against others (M-Card for S3 is technically possible, but also technically very complex. We've learned that there is a lot of risk inherent in that development).

Old 08-18-2008, 07:12 PM   #16
HiKent

Quote:
As I explained in April, this is a risky development proposition. I will never say never, because there are very few absolutes (except death and taxes of course). But it's very, very unlikely.
Sorry, I was travelling in April & missed that posting.

This is very disappointing news. As I say above, the charge here is over $200/year for the second cablecard. It's disappointing to have bought an $800 machine (plus lifetime xfer charge), and after 1 year have TWC move all HD to SDV, then the next year see the $200/year additional charge is for the lifetime of the unit. (Not to mention that TWC has marked almost all the channels CCI=02.) My original S1 was a constant joy I hated to retire. My S3 -- seems more like I was trapped...

I know it's not all TiVo's fault, but...
Old 08-18-2008, 07:51 PM   #17
pkscout

Quote:
I, for one, will certainly keep this in mind next time I decide whether to support TiVo as an early adopter. The S3 has clear printing on the back that certainly could have left one with the impression that full M-card support was coming. Oh well. I guess I'll wait until the second generation of the Tru2Way TiVo comes out in 2012...
pkscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 12:40 AM   #18
Saxion
Substantive Member

Quote:
That's right: $8/month additional outlet + $6.95 HD fee (per cablecard) + $3.10/month cablecard rental + 8.7% tax/franchise fee = Total: $19.62/mo or $235/year.
Good grief, that's horrible! I feel for you. And you didn't even include the fee for the truck roll...

High cost is the main reason I haven't gotten any CableCARDs for my S3, but since TiVo continues to offer woefully inadequate support for clear QAM recording, I'm left with a questionable TiVo experience and certainly not anything I can recommend to my friends and family. For those of us who only want to record clear QAM channels, it's a rock and a hard place.

Last edited by Saxion : 08-19-2008 at 01:43 AM.
Saxion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 03:44 AM   #19
Tommy_D

Mcard works dual tuner with Series 3

Comcast installed one Mcard in my series 3. I asked for two to utilize dual tuner capability but was told that I only needed one. While the Comcast technician was in my home I tested the series 3 and the installer was right!! I am able to record two HD channels with only 1 Mcard.
Tommy_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 08:20 AM   #20
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy_D View Post
Comcast installed one Mcard in my series 3. I asked for two to utilize dual tuner capability but was told that I only needed one. While the Comcast technician was in my home I tested the series 3 and the installer was right!! I am able to record two HD channels with only 1 Mcard.
Hmmm....are you positive? From what I've read on these fora, no one has ever been able to record two HD channels with a single M card (and no card in the other slot) in the S3. Is yours is an actual, original S3 (the first HD TiVo released two years ago)? Not the TiVo HD or XL (which are also classified under the Series 3 "umbrella").

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 08:24 AM   #21
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
I wouldn't accept a S3 for a warranty replacement for a TiVo HD. They are just trying to dump the remaining S3 stock they have most likely.
I would jump at the chance to have my TiVoHDs replaced with the S3.
The S3 is better, especially with the audio. My S3 boxes audio come right up in a split second with channel changes, but my TiVoHD boxes take one to two seconds for the audio to come up.

My only complaint with the S3 boxes are the cable card slot locations. The back is not a good place for the cablecard slot in a SetTopBox.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 08:37 AM   #22
classicsat
Astute User

Record two premium digital channels and see what happens.
classicsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 09:34 AM   #23
dig_duggler
losing enthusiasm

IIRC, some have noticed it works until you repeat guided setup (for your new channels). I could be wrong though...
dig_duggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 01:20 PM   #24
drew00001

Quote:
Likewise, features such as QAM remapping and M-Card S3 support do not target a significant portion of our subscribers, both are in fact very small numbers of subscribers.
I expect the majority of S3 owners would prefer to use an M-Card, especially since Comacast is charging excessive fees for a 2nd Card. I pay $5.10 a month ($61.20 per year) for my 2nd Cablecard. TiVo could make a lot of its dedicated client base (early adopters who bought the S3) happy by saving them this money.
drew00001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 01:33 PM   #25
sinanju

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew00001 View Post
I expect the majority of S3 owners would prefer to use an M-Card, especially since Comacast is charging excessive fees for a 2nd Card. I pay $5.10 a month ($61.20 per year) for my 2nd Cablecard. TiVo could make a lot of its dedicated client base (early adopters who bought the S3) happy by saving them this money.
If you are being billed that way by Comcast, you need to call them back. They have a CableCARD package especially for the TiVo. The first card is free with the digital package and the second card is around a buck and a half.

Refer to this when you call:

http://www.comcast.com/customers/faq...s.ashx?Id=2651

The line item on my bill reads: "Add'l Digital Outlet(s): Cable Card Same Outlet Charge - $1.50"
sinanju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 01:55 PM   #26
sinanju

Quote:
While the numbers on M-Card support are small, they represent the folk who are willing to pay a pretty high premium for TiVo product right out of the chute. While there is an up-front expense for providing that support, there is some value in ensuring that crowd will be there, wallet in hand, for your next big release.

Some time in the future, folk may look at how the early adopters were handled -- no M-Card, long wait for TTG, etc, and decide to wait a year following the next product introduction, just to see how things shake out.

Its not a big deal for most, on its own, but it is added to the equation when considering the Series 4, whatever that will be.
sinanju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 02:10 PM   #27
drew00001

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinanju View Post
If you are being billed that way by Comcast, you need to call them back. They have a CableCARD package especially for the TiVo. The first card is free with the digital package and the second card is around a buck and a half.

Refer to this when you call:

http://www.comcast.com/customers/faq...s.ashx?Id=2651

The line item on my bill reads: "Add'l Digital Outlet(s): Cable Card Same Outlet Charge - $1.50"

I spoke with a Comcast CSR once about this, as I have seen other indviduals being charged $1.79. I will give it another shot after reading your link. Thanks.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:46 PM   #28
drew00001

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew00001 View Post
I spoke with a Comcast CSR once about this, as I have seen other indviduals being charged $1.79. I will give it another shot after reading your link. Thanks.
I called again, and this time the CSR was either smarter, reasonable, or better informed . . . probably all 3. In any case, my 2nd Cablecard fee is reduced to $1.79.

On a separate note, Pony, I have 2 TiVo (1 THD & 1 S3), and it would be very helpful if the S3 could use a M-Card. This way I could have cablecards for both boxes, without paying for a additional port, not to mention saving the 3rd Cablecard fee altogether.
Old 09-18-2008, 05:33 PM   #29
Gregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinanju View Post
While the numbers on M-Card support are small, they represent the folk who are willing to pay a pretty high premium for TiVo product right out of the chute. While there is an up-front expense for providing that support, there is some value in ensuring that crowd will be there, wallet in hand, for your next big release.

Some time in the future, folk may look at how the early adopters were handled -- no M-Card, long wait for TTG, etc, and decide to wait a year following the next product introduction, just to see how things shake out.

Its not a big deal for most, on its own, but it is added to the equation when considering the Series 4, whatever that will be.
I've got 2 S3s, bought 1 the first day out. Both have 2 S-cards at $4/mo each. They work, and work well. I'm OK with them working as they are, it's just not a huge deal for the S3s to work on an M card (assuming Verizon had any).

Besides, V would charge me for a visit, and it would take some period of time to recognize any savings.

I would hope Tivo can find better things to work on.

Old 09-20-2008, 01:42 PM   #30
Tommy_D

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicsat View Post
Record two premium digital channels and see what happens.
I was, past tense, able to record two HD digital programs at the same time-- but TIVO sent a message for me to go through Guided Setup again. Now for some reason I can only record one program. What's up with that? Obviously it's not that the SERIES 3 can't record two programs with one m-card... it's the software/Guided setup that blocks the capability.

I'm think I'll try resetting the TIVO and start over. I have only one Comcast M-card.
Tommy_D is offline   Reply With Quote