TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-01-2008, 02:46 PM   #1
csp122

How to force a software update

I've got a DSR7000 that I haven't used since March 2005... Earlier this weekend, I got it running again, and called DirecTV to re-enable it on my account, but... It's been a few days and the software version is still listed as 3.1.1e-01-2-101 version from early 2005. Unfortunately, this version does not include the DST patch, so all of my "manual" recordings appear to be off by an hour. Is there any way to force a DirecTiVo to update it's software?
csp122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 03:15 PM   #2
JimSpence
Just hangin'

You may need to give it more time as it will most likely need to get the latest software from the phone line. It is plugged into a phone, right?
Old 09-01-2008, 03:26 PM   #3
rbtravis

Software update may not work with the Philips DSR7000/17, Mine has been plugged into the phone line for four months with no update (tried to force many times). Directv stated it has been having trouble with that model. Good Luck
Old 09-01-2008, 04:35 PM   #4
Dkerr24
Lost in Big Bend

Change your time zone to one further east to fix your problem until the next DST change. If you're already on EST, that won't work, either.
Old 09-01-2008, 06:23 PM   #5
rbtravis

If all you want is to fix your time zone you can purchase Instantcake from www.DVRupgrade.com, Warning it will destroy all saved items. It will install 6.2a image on the disk. Suggest you use your current disk as a backup and install it on a new drive as hard disks are currently inexpensive. The larger the drive, the more you can save. Good Luck whatever you decide.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:48 PM   #6
csp122

It's essentially a stock DSR7000 (the power supply has been replaced) with a wired phone connection, and two satellite coax cables... I'm getting program guide data (including locals), but no software updates yet.

I was under the impression that software updates were delivered via the modem, and that all of the TiVos (Standalone as well as DirecTV) phone home (to TiVo) for these updates... Is TiVo aware that people with DSR7000s are not able to obtain updates? What do us DirecTiVo customers do now that the two companies are in direct competition with eachother?

Last edited by csp122 : 09-01-2008 at 08:55 PM.
csp122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 10:00 PM   #7
JimSpence
Just hangin'

I don't remember which software did this. But, one of them enabled future updates to come from the satellite. The versions were only available for a certain amount of time, at which point the version would be downloaded in pieces from phone calls. Once all pieces were downloaded then the next phone call would install the latest version.

Although this probably would be an exercise in frustration, you should call DirecTV (not TiVo) and ask if the software version is still available from the sat (probably not) or from the phone.

And there is the InstantCake option.

Good luck.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:05 PM   #8
John T Smith

I don't know about the DSR7000 (don't have one, so didn't look) but at least for the HR10-250 InstantCake how has a download ISO with 6.4a

http://www.dvrupgrade.com/dvr/stores...el&ModelID=101

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith
John T Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 04:46 PM   #9
rbtravis

Instantcake does not currently support 6.4a for the DSR7000, I know because I have 2 and DVRupgrade as a policy refuses to discuss future plans.

Last edited by rbtravis : 09-16-2008 at 03:13 PM.
rbtravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 09:22 AM   #10
tmenss

Instantcake and DSR7000

RBTRAVIS, one of your posts suggest using instantcake to get 6.4a image onto a hard drive then later you stae that Instant cake doesn't work.

I'm buying an older but working DSR700 and just need to have a current working image. Can I just buy a new imaged drive rather than use Instant cake? Can I image and prepare a raw drive on my PC using other tools and then replace the older DSR700 drive?

thanks
tmenss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 10:02 AM   #11
rbtravis

I'm about to try winMFS from MFSlive.org. I have a Hughes HDVR2 that has 6.4a and I am going to attempt to back it up and then restore it to the DSR7000/17 both are non RID machines and see if that works. That is because DVRupgrade does not see doing it in the immediate future and I am tired of waiting. PM me your email and I will tell you if it works.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:06 AM   #12
wedgecon
Just Plain Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbtravis View Post
Instantcake not currently supported for the DSR7000, I know because I have 2 and DVRupgrade refuses to discuss future plans.
That does not appear to be true, Instantcake is still available for the DSR7000 and the DSR7000R. Of course they are for version 6.2a, but version 6.4 appears to only be available for the HR10-250.

Is the DSR7000/17 different than the other two models?
wedgecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 10:25 AM   #13
rbtravis

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedgecon View Post
That does not appear to be true, Instantcake is still available for the DSR7000 and the DSR7000R. Of course they are for version 6.2a, but version 6.4 appears to only be available for the HR10-250.

The thread topic is how to force an update to 6.4a which is not currently supported by Instantcake, only 6.2a is, which is many versions back, but the last version which would support MRV if you wanted to hack the unit with Zipper. which I do not. If you look on the back of the unit left of the fan you will see the manufacturers tag where it says Philips Model Number and you will see which unit you have.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:34 PM   #14
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedgecon View Post

This is correct. InstantCake is definitely offered for the DSR7000 product, as well as all of the SD DirecTiVo boxes. We've not released a 6.4 version of the product, however as we've not received those updates on our units.

Using the 6.2a version on your system should work fine and your unit should automatically update to 6.4 provided its authorized to do so by DIRECTV. Apparently, some units never receive the updates (I know ours didn't) so its not looking like 6.4 was never fully released for all of the platforms.

The DSR7000/17 is exactly the same as the DSR7000 / DSR7000R from a software perspective - use the first three digits of your service ID as an indication of what software you need (ie as long as the first three digits are the same, then the software required is the same)...

Lou
tivoupgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 02:27 PM   #15
rock_doctor
resU deretsigeR

Personally, i prefer the instant cake to stay with 6.2a as that is (imho) the last stable version of the software. Plus since 6.4a is still available from D* those who want to convert up to 6.4a can just let the TiVo auto update and those who want to stay with 6.2a can just bake it and leave it unplugged. 6.4 is still in the mix as i allowed (unfortunately) a redone hard drive to update less then two weeks ago. It did it over the phone line and first call after turning on the unit.
rock_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 06:40 PM   #16
rbtravis

getting 6.4a loaded in a DSR 7000/17

How to do a forced upgrade to 6.4a
This method requires two series II Directv Tivo's one of which has received the upgrade. Remove the power cables to each unit
Remove the hard drives from both units. Place the hard drive that received the upgrade aside. There will be no changes to that unit. Place the hard drive from the unit that failed to receive the upgrade into the unit that had received the upgrade. connect the cables to that unit, power and data. Make sure the phone line is connected to the unit that received the upgrade. Apply the power cord to that unit. Connect to DVR service and force upgrade, it should happen automatically. Be Patience, my download took 2 hours. keep checking system information. first it will show phone in use, followed by pending restart. Disconnect the power cord. place the hard drives in the original machines. When the previously bad restarts it will restart twice on its own and load and configure 6.4a. It is during the configuration that it will first read your access card and tie it to your machine. It will also determine what model you are running and put that into system information. That is why you only let it restart in the old box. good luck and happy viewing.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:12 PM   #17
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_doctor View Post
Personally, i prefer the instant cake to stay with 6.2a as that is (imho) the last stable version of the software. Plus since 6.4a is still available from D* those who want to convert up to 6.4a can just let the TiVo auto update and those who want to stay with 6.2a can just bake it and leave it unplugged. 6.4 is still in the mix as i allowed (unfortunately) a redone hard drive to update less then two weeks ago. It did it over the phone line and first call after turning on the unit.
The problem is that many people on 6.2 and 6.2a are now having issues with season passes such as myself. My one Tivo for example thinks Bones this week is no longer a series but knows next week it is part of a season. I also set a season pass for Saturday Night Live which didn't record because I now have the option of two different season passes for the same channel and the one I picked the season premiere didn't fall under even though I picked it from the actual guide.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 11:56 AM   #18
tmenss

Forced upgrade

Quote:
How to do a forced upgrade to 6.4a
This method requires two series II Directv Tivo's one of which has received the upgrade.
How similar do the two units need to be? I have a situation where the working unit is an R10 and the non working is a DSR 7000. Or would I need to use a DSR 704 (updated) in order to force update the DSR 7000?
tmenss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 12:08 PM   #19
rbtravis

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmenss View Post
How similar do the two units need to be? I have a situation where the working unit is an R10 and the non working is a DSR 7000. Or would I need to use a DSR 704 (updated) in order to force update the DSR 7000?
You would use the DSR704 ( that is the one I used) as long as you don't restart the system until the drive is in the destination box you will be ok. Do not use the R10, it has a different motherboard and software package ( I know the same number number, that is met to confuse you ) Good Luck
Old 09-16-2008, 03:18 PM   #20
rbtravis

Remember as a policy to clear the recently deleted folder once a month. If you don't you may have Audio problems.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:06 AM   #21
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

partial solution...

I've been looking into this some more... there is no way to "force" the update by using traditional methods like forcing a daily call. Even if you have a unit which has previously updated to 6.4a and you retrograde it to 6.2a (or put a drive from another unit in it, as suggested by rbtravis) there is no guarantee that the forced call will download 6.4a. We've verified this using our own units.

With that said, if you have a networked unit, there are some options.

Firstly, if you have the 6.4a slices on your unit already you can force an update by manually running installSw.itcl.

To see if you have the slices, you must telnet to your unit and type:

Code:
echo mls /SwSystem | tivosh
and you should see something like this, if they are there:

Code:
Name                      Type        FsId      Date  Time   Size    
    ----                      ----        ----      ----  ----   ----    
    6.2a-01-2-301             tyDb        4808  09/17/08 03:44    700    
    6.4a-01-2-101             tyDb       57916  09/17/08 04:29    780    
    6.4a-01-2-121             tyDb       59454  09/17/08 04:33    780    
    6.4a-01-2-151             tyDb       60911  09/17/08 04:53    804    
    6.4a-01-2-381             tyDb       55725  09/17/08 04:53    780    
    6.4a-01-2-521             tyDb       64304  09/17/08 04:46    780    
    ACTIVE                    tyDb       60911  09/17/08 04:53    804
What you are seeing are ALL the slices on my own unit which have been dbloaded. Also note that in the aforementioned snippet, the unit has already been updated to 6.4a (you can see this by seeing which software version is 'active.'

If you DON'T have the slices, I've made them available with some easy to use scripts (thanks to an anonymous donor) which can be run as follows from the telnet prompt:

In this example, the unit in question has a service ID that beings with a 351.

Code:
wget -O /var/packages/getslice http://www.dvrupgrade.com/software/update_tool/getslice-6.4a-01-2-351
and after the file is downloaded, do the following:

Code:
cd /var/packages
sh ./getslice
This will grab the slices specific to your unit and when they are done loaded, you will see them listed (similar to above).

Note that there has been some consolidation of the slices associated with different platforms, so even though we have a script written for each different unit, some of the slices are the same.

Specifically,

DSR/7000 and DSR/704 (101 / 3010)
DVR39 / DVR40 (121 / 321)
HDVR2 / SDDVR (151 / 351)

and they will be listed as such.

Another method of doing this with an already networked unit, and that will preserve your network settings and most of your hacks, is by using a product you must purchase, called "the slicer" -- once you've ftp'ed the binary onto your unit, you can simply type:

Code:
./slicer 6.4a-01-2-151 -d
if the slices are NOT on your unit, or don't use the -d option if they are already there. Pretty straightforward.

Lastly, we are working on new InstantCake versions and an analogous PTVnet version for folks who want to start over from scratch. Not available yet, however.

Lou

Old 09-17-2008, 11:33 AM   #22
innocentfreak

Are the drives you currently offering as upgrade drives running 6.4a now then?

Old 09-17-2008, 12:12 PM   #23
rock_doctor
resU deretsigeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
I wonder if something is wrong with your account? I wonder if you call and have them remove and then re-add back the tivo as if it were a new addition; if the system would start to recognize your tivo. I bet this is why they have no record of it calling in. I also wonder if you can have somebody make you a hard drive from their tivo??? Can you swap an image from one tivo to another if they are the same model? If so then see if you have a friend with the same tivo and do a standard hard drive upgrade (using mfstools) and their image.
rock_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 12:24 PM   #24
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_doctor View Post
I wonder if something is wrong with your account? I wonder if you call and have them remove and then re-add back the tivo as if it were a new addition; if the system would start to recognize your tivo. I bet this is why they have no record of it calling in. I also wonder if you can have somebody make you a hard drive from their tivo??? Can you swap an image from one tivo to another if they are the same model? If so then see if you have a friend with the same tivo and do a standard hard drive upgrade (using mfstools) and their image.
I have the working original drive with 6.4a so I may attempt this. Looking at the list posted above one thing that may also be is the upgraded drive is for a DVR40 while I have the Rca DVR120. Obviously the drive works but I am wondering if the RCA DVR40 didn't get the upgrades especially since tivoupgrade mentions it in his post.

Has anyone compiled a list of models that never got the update to 6.4a?

Old 09-17-2008, 12:43 PM   #25
rbtravis

Yes, and used them in an RCA Tivo. The reason this works is the download copies all the slices and Directv's software determines which slice to use for your machine. It also saves all shows on the target machine provided they were there in the first place. Instant cake is for a new hard drive, while this works for an existing drive. Good Luck, either will work well for you, although I have noticed that some drives fail to load that is why I tell you to do it on one that has successfully upgraded via phone to 6.4a
Old 09-17-2008, 02:50 PM   #26
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
No, they are all using 6.2a. Up until recently, the presumption is that units will automatically update to 6.4a as they should for non-PTVnet kits. And PTVnet kits require 6.2a, since that is the only version of PTVnet for these units.

Ultimately, we'll probably shift to 6.4a for standard kits, and give people a choice with PTVnet kits.

s/w rev information is (and will continue to be...) documented in the product description for the kits on our own site. (and in the release notes for DIY software, as well...

Lou

Old 09-17-2008, 03:43 PM   #27
innocentfreak

Quote:
You would use the DSR704 ( that is the one I used) as long as you don't restart the system until the drive is in the destination box you will be ok. Do not use the R10, it has a different motherboard and software package ( I know the same number number, that is met to confuse you ) Good Luck
Were you able to do this without losing shows/season passes or will this result in lost recordings since when the Directivo does the initial boot the drive won't be paired with that machine?

Old 09-17-2008, 04:10 PM   #28
rbtravis

Quote:
Were you able to do this without losing shows/season passes or will this result in lost recordings since when the Directivo does the initial boot the drive won't be paired with that machine?
No loss of recordings. When the drive does the initial Boot it is not yet paired with the machine. The initial boot does the pairing as well as choosing which slices match the hardware. As long as you are using the same motherboard the recordings will match.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:33 PM   #29
innocentfreak

Quote:
No loss of recordings. When the drive does the initial Boot it is not yet paired with the machine. The initial boot does the pairing as well as choosing which slices match the hardware. As long as you are using the same motherboard the recordings will match.
Cool I will try this tonight to see if I get the same results since I have two of the same machine and only one, the one with the upgraded drive, that didn't update.

Old 09-17-2008, 07:01 PM   #30
Da Goon
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoupgrade View Post
If you DON'T have the slices, I've made them available with some easy to use scripts (thanks to an anonymous donor) which can be run as follows from the telnet prompt:...
I've got a swsystem-127009177-2.slice.bnd (357) slice file if your anonymous donor would like to decrypt it and let you add it to the collection.
Da Goon is offline   Reply With Quote