TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-27-2008, 07:44 AM   #181
Brighton Line

My friend on Long Island was repeatitly told he could do the cards himself, even cancelled the install visit. He was told to go to the local office. He even called the office and they said yes they had cards.
Nope, went there and they looked at him like he had two heads. Cards had to be installed by their tech's with a truck roll.
Good luck, and I hope it isn't another "Check is in the mail"
Brighton Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 06:49 PM   #182
bumgarb

Well, it does appear that something is screwed up.

I got a phone call today (8/27) in which they said they were calling about my appointment for 8/26 (yesterday). I didn't have an appointment yesterday... I called and order the cards yesterday... but not appointment was made.

Then I got home and there was a note saying a tech stopped by at 1030 (on 8/27). Again, I didn't schedule an appointment (because they are suppose to be mailing the cards). Somehow, I managed to get next day service without even having an appointment.

So I called the number and the rep said that he didn't see an appointment on my account. He instructed me to call Billing to see what is going on. Of course, I can't do that until tomorrow because they are closed.

So... am I suppose to sit around waiting for them to show up, without an appointment? Do they think I have ESP?

They are really not going to like it when I start calling about my missing $200 AMEX card. LOL.

-bumgarb
bumgarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 06:38 PM   #183
bumgarb

So, I did end up having a tech come out. He was able to do the installation rather quickly. And, the installation fee is waived due to the confusion of mail versus tech.

However, there does seem to be an issue. I only get HD on one tuner. It doesn't appear that I'm getting HD through both cablecards. I get SD through both, but not HD.

Are there any Verizon FIOS customers out there who can confirm that they have 2 s-cablecards that both tune HD channels?

Thanks,

bumgarb
bumgarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 05:47 PM   #184
esjones

M-Cards on TWC Dayton/Southwest Ohio?

Hi all... I'm on the verge of ordering my TiVo HD, and have a question about M-Cards. Is there anyone here on TWC in Dayton Ohio (actually, I'm on what they call their "Southwestern Ohio" system but it is served out of Dayton) who has an M-Card for their TiVo HD?

I just spoke on the phone with a CSR who didn't know what an M-Card was. (Thought it meant two-way.) Before I get insistent with them, I'd like to know for sure that they have M-Cards available.

Many thanks.

- Earl
esjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 12:04 AM   #185
mbruns

Quote:
Originally Posted by esjones View Post
Hi all... I'm on the verge of ordering my TiVo HD, and have a question about M-Cards. Is there anyone here on TWC in Dayton Ohio (actually, I'm on what they call their "Southwestern Ohio" system but it is served out of Dayton) who has an M-Card for their TiVo HD?

I just spoke on the phone with a CSR who didn't know what an M-Card was. (Thought it meant two-way.) Before I get insistent with them, I'd like to know for sure that they have M-Cards available.

Many thanks.

- Earl
Hi Earl,

I have Time Warner in Columbus. It's not Dayton, but I imagine the system is similar.

Trust me, it's virtually impossible to talk to a CSR who has a clue about Cablecards. Time Warner will have M-Cards in stock. I upgraded to a Tivo-HD in January. It took 3 truck rolls, but they got it working.

A few hints:
1) Make sure the CSR writes on the order that you have a TivoHD, and need 1 M-Card, not 2 S-Cards. The CSR probably won't know what it means, make sure they write it down.
2) Print out the Cablecard form from the tivo website and have it ready when the installer arrives.
3) If the installer is the least bit unsure, call Tivo support and ask for Cablecard support. Have them on speaker, they'll walk the installer through the process.

The bad news:
Everything is copy-protected, and Time Warner is starting to move their channels to SDV. No-one in Columbus knows what a Tuning Adapter is.

The good news:
It works, the picture quality is excellent, and you have the Tivo interface.

Mike
------------------------------------------------------
P.S. I'm not intentionally slamming the CSRs. They just get no training on Cablecards. I hate the system where a monopoly can totally ignore the FCC and open standards with impunity.
mbruns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 02:29 PM   #186
esjones

Mike -

Thanks for the advice. I went so far as to tell the CSR the model number of the CableCARD that I want (Scientific Atlanta PKM800) based on my web research, and that I wanted a TWC employee rather than a contractor to come out and do the install. Made him write it all down and put it in the service call record.

TiVo HD should be here on Tuesday, and my CableCARD installation appt. is Friday.

I'll report on how it goes.

- Earl
Old 09-05-2008, 04:50 PM   #187
jmaditto

Also

Quote:
Originally Posted by esjones View Post
Mike -

Thanks for the advice. I went so far as to tell the CSR the model number of the CableCARD that I want (Scientific Atlanta PKM800) based on my web research, and that I wanted a TWC employee rather than a contractor to come out and do the install. Made him write it all down and put it in the service call record.

TiVo HD should be here on Tuesday, and my CableCARD installation appt. is Friday.

I'll report on how it goes.

- Earl
Tell them to call the National TW CC Hotline if they have any issues. review all the FAQ's on CC installs and print out pages or have a computer ready t to look up stuff when they are onsite. Good luck.
jmaditto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 04:36 PM   #188
esjones

CableCARD successfully installed (TiVo HD)

I got my TiVo HD on Tuesday, and had scheduled the TWC installer to come out today. Good thing, too, since it took a couple of days for the TiVo software to be updated to the latest version. (Out of the box, it was at 8-point-something).

I had asked for a TWC employee, not a contractor, to come out, and told them not only that I wanted an M-Card, but also gave the CSR the Scientific Atlanta model number that I heard was in use in the Dayton market.

The guy I got was named Kris, and he is the one you should ask for if you have TWC technical issues in the Dayton market. He told me, "whenever I see an order come through for CableCARDs, I automatically pick up two S-cards and an M-card to be covered."

The M-Card was installed and TiVo recognized it right away. Kris tapped the pairing information into his handheld and in a few seconds, the card started receiving a firmware download. This is a SLOW process.

When that wrapped up, the TiVo showed the card was activated, but no digital channels appeared. Kris measured the signal strength at the TiVo, and determined that the splitter I had put at the wall outlet to feed both the TV and TiVo was attenuating the signal too much.

We got rid of the splitter, but still no digital channels. We then did Guided Setup, while Kris tapped instructions into the handheld again to tell the system to recognize the card.

That did the trick. Overall, the house call took over an hour, but the CableCARD works fine.

I'll share Kris' full name by PM if you want to ask for him.

- Earl
Old 09-15-2008, 11:02 AM   #189
Nosmo Rex

Anyone have any recent experience with Verizon multistream cards, specifically in the Portland/Beaverton area? I'm thinking of pulling the plug on Comcast, and switching to Verizon. I did an online chat with Verizon customer service, and as far as she knew, they only had S-Cards. I told her that it didn't appear that I could order cablecards of any kind online, but she said that the the installer would have cablecards "in stock" when they arrived. Sounds sketchy to me.
Nosmo Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 07:37 PM   #190
oregonman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosmo Rex View Post
Anyone have any recent experience with Verizon multistream cards, specifically in the Portland/Beaverton area? I'm thinking of pulling the plug on Comcast, and switching to Verizon. I did an online chat with Verizon customer service, and as far as she knew, they only had S-Cards. I told her that it didn't appear that I could order cablecards of any kind online, but she said that the the installer would have cablecards "in stock" when they arrived. Sounds sketchy to me.
I'm in the same boat and the same area as you are. I would like to get FIOS, but it is really hard to get info from verizon. I called today and they said that they only have S cards and they are $3.99 per month each. I didn't really get the feeling that he really knew anything about Tivo or cable cards, so I don't have any confidence in the answer. I chatted with an online order agent and they said that there is no way to order cable cards online. He said that I can order the bundle online and then order the cable card from the local office, but I suspect that it would involve a service charge for the install.
oregonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 07:54 PM   #191
Gregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonman View Post
I'm in the same boat and the same area as you are. I would like to get FIOS, but it is really hard to get info from verizon. I called today and they said that they only have S cards and they are $3.99 per month each. I didn't really get the feeling that he really knew anything about Tivo or cable cards, so I don't have any confidence in the answer. I chatted with an online order agent and they said that there is no way to order cable cards online. He said that I can order the bundle online and then order the cable card from the local office, but I suspect that it would involve a service charge for the install.
I had to do the same, ordered online and add cable cards via a phone call. Verizon charged me $19.95 for every additional outlet over 3, and 1 cable card = 1 outlet.

MK:3523-2615-6739

Do not taunt happy thread counts.
Gregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 12:03 PM   #192
oregonman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor View Post
I had to do the same, ordered online and add cable cards via a phone call. Verizon charged me $19.95 for every additional outlet over 3, and 1 cable card = 1 outlet.
That sounds like the regular price for an install with them defining 1 cable card = 1 outlet. A few questions:

Are you in the Portland, OR area or elsewhwere? It seems like different areas have differing levels of cometency if filling orders. Were you able to call before the install and add the cable cards to your order or did you do it after your inital installation? When you ordered online, what did you put in the correct number of outlets/cards in the TVs commected part or did you leave out the cable cards? Thanks.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:26 PM   #193
thomb

Quote:
The rep you spoke with was correct . Verizon does not have M-cards and the S-cards are $3.99 each / month. You must order them over the phone, so don't bother with the online order. You are better off doing everything over the phone. They waived the install fee for me last week when I switched (Seattle area).
thomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 01:09 PM   #194
Gregor

Quote:
That sounds like the regular price for an install with them defining 1 cable card = 1 outlet. A few questions:

Are you in the Portland, OR area or elsewhwere? It seems like different areas have differing levels of cometency if filling orders. Were you able to call before the install and add the cable cards to your order or did you do it after your inital installation? When you ordered online, what did you put in the correct number of outlets/cards in the TVs commected part or did you leave out the cable cards? Thanks.
I'm in SE PA.

I had to call before the install and add cable cards, so the techs showed up with them to do the install.

I left out the cable cards on the online form.

MK:3523-2615-6739

Do not taunt happy thread counts.
Gregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 10:17 AM   #195
oregonman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor View Post
I'm in SE PA.

I had to call before the install and add cable cards, so the techs showed up with them to do the install.

I left out the cable cards on the online form.
Thanks for the info. I'll try it that way since it worked for you.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:19 AM   #196
oregonman

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomb View Post
The rep you spoke with was correct . Verizon does not have M-cards and the S-cards are $3.99 each / month. You must order them over the phone, so don't bother with the online order. You are better off doing everything over the phone. They waived the install fee for me last week when I switched (Seattle area).
Did you get the online rate going over the phone? Online it says there is an extra discount of $10 per month for ordering online. The person I spoke to over the phone said you have to order online to get that discount.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:38 AM   #197
Nosmo Rex

My Verizon installation is this Friday. I got a VM from a Verizon guy saying he had done a survey and that he would have to "dig a trench" to the house from the street. My wife has a lot of nice landscaping that is likely to be in the way, so I am concerned as to what exactly they plan on doing. I really don't want them tearing up my driveway or digging up a bunch of plants. I need to call and see what the deal is.

On a side note (and I realize this has probably been answered elsewhere), since I am changing from Comcast to Verizon (and therefore getting a new channel lineup), will my season passes fix themselves, or will I have to rebuild them?
Nosmo Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 05:47 PM   #198
DerickA

I just bought an S3 and am awaiting the cablecards to be installed, but is there anyway to change the channels without them? I try and the screen goes grey. Only channel 3 comes up, but when I change the channels on the cable box it works.

Do I have to wait for the cablecards, or is there a way around this?
DerickA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 08:07 PM   #199
windracer
joined the 10k club

The S3 won't work with a cable box. So all you can do right now is connect the coax directly to your S3 and watch the analog channels.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 10:12 PM   #200
cableguy763

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
The S3 won't work with a cable box. So all you can do right now is connect the coax directly to your S3 and watch the analog channels.
Wow, you are so right. I would have tried to overthink this obvious answer. Just like the old tv/vcr button.
cableguy763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 12:58 PM   #201
Bantha Fodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomb View Post
The rep you spoke with was correct . Verizon does not have M-cards and the S-cards are $3.99 each / month.
Verizon appears to be rolling out M-cards, at least in the Seattle area. I just got FiOS TV installed yesterday, and my TivoHD is now running on a single M-card. $3.99/mo.

My story is here. I've posted this in a couple of other threads; I hope that doesn't get counted as spam. If so, I apologize.
Bantha Fodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 02:11 PM   #202
BimmerDob

A thread for Insight Cable in Central Ohio

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=393622
BimmerDob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 08:22 PM   #203
jhernandez86

sharing my Cable card experience

Just got a new HD Tivo, and last week Time warner cable came over to install the two cards. One work and the other one did not work on the first try. But after an hour of hard work, the technician was able to have both of them working. The funny thing is that now I have more HD channels than bwith the cable box.

I am not sure what is causing this, but hey, now I have about 15 new HD channels.
jhernandez86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 01:13 PM   #204
falc122727

M-Card Success

Had my M-Card installed by Comcast of Gloucester Co, NJ on 12/24. Whole process took about 15 minutes. Tivo went into guided set-up on it's own, but all is well.

In only one day my Hard drive is filling up with HD content. Good thing my new 1TB drive arives next week.
falc122727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 09:01 PM   #205
CiP

Does anyone that has Service Electric Cable as their cable provider and using cablecards having issues with channel lineups updating correctly? I have 3 TiVo HD's and 2 TiVo Series 3's. The channel lineups are incorrect in zip code 08865. I have tried updating many times. Some channels say, "To Be Announced" and others are not the channels they say they are. For example, 515 says it National Geographic HD and is really the Weather Channel HD and 516 says it's A&E HD however it is National Geographic HD.
CiP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 09:28 AM   #206
kevinivey

My Own Cable Card Install Nightmare

I have TWC here in Columbia, SC. The subcontracter showed up theis morning with a single S card, and he had never done a cable card install before. I told him that it was the srong card .He called the dispatcher and she said they did not have any M cards in stock. I said I had a 8300 HDC that has a M card in it ,and he was supposed to pick it up. I convinced him to put it ,and it came right up. Called the dispatcher ,and was told that it had to stay with the box. The next Saturday install is the January 17th. I guess we will try again.

oops almost forgot, he forgot to take back the remote with 8300 he picked up.
kevinivey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 04:51 PM   #207
hamav8tor

Had my own (first) experience with a CableCARD instal today in a TiVo HD XL in the Londonderry NH market. Specifically requested an m-card and was told no problem. Installation tech (outsourced) showed up with two s-cards. Great. Was told they are out of stock.

He installed them - took about an hour by the time he was done and two phone calls to the NOC.

Things *basically* work but some of the channels just don't work. We switched to Digital Starter and channels like CNN HD (which show up in the TiVo Guide) just don't work, but they are advertised as part of the package.

Tech (real Comcast tech this time) coming back in a few days to troubleshoot. Ca't believe that something that is supposed to be so mainstream at this point is still this hard.
hamav8tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 01:46 AM   #208
Krazy Pat

Suddenlink

please post a suddenlink for cable card
They came out and i got some good info to post thanks.
Krazy Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 01:47 AM   #209
Krazy Pat

suddenlink truck showed up today and inserted a multicard today, he took about 30min to find out that the card was bad so he put another in we went to the cable card setting agian and the card poped up with all the info and took off right away, after he called into the pop and they sent the info, no problems and all my shows came on, records, and watch other show no problem,
He did tell me that there are a big rush to get cards out and that motorola is pushing bad or corrupted cards so make sure the guy has extra cards becuse of this issue, as well as it only took about 20 min total after the other card went in. so i am running one multi in my tivo series 3 hd reciever no problems except cant use the junk like on demand and interactive dont use them anyway.

Last edited by Krazy Pat : 01-11-2009 at 01:52 AM.
Krazy Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 04:53 PM   #210
leecow

Successful Comcast CableCard story - Seattle area

Thought I'd add a clean HD cutover success story to the dialog to perhaps help new folks not despair

I've made what can only be described as a staged transition to HD. I fell into a good TV deal, exchanged the SD cablebox for HD and enjoyed the setup along with my S2 while reading here and other places about various TivoHD experiences.

After about a week of research and dragging my feet, I ordered the HD which arrived on time via UPS from the Tivo mothership. Installation and set up were without incident. The next day I popped into the Comcast office (Lynnwood) to pick up an MCard. Folks in the Lynnwood office were very helpful and had no problem handing over the card. Later that evening I installed the card without a hitch and the Comcast CSR was quite pleasant and seems to have hit all the right buttons on her end to activate the card. Channels worked as advertised and all guide data was filled out by the time I got home from work the next day. The TivoHD has since picked up the latest firmware udpate, rebooted and all is well.

Almost makes me comfortable enough to risk Netflix.