TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-13-2008, 08:55 PM   #241
moyekj

OK, still work in progress on the web site but you can download from here now instead:
http://code.google.com/p/kmttg/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 12:01 PM   #242
benraymond

? Set up for iPhone or PSP coding?

Great program, learning about it.

Newbie question, When we talk about encoding, ffmpeg or such, will that encode properly for iPhone/iPod?

If so, any way to change/tweak the settings?

Thanks

Ben
benraymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 12:07 PM   #243
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by benraymond View Post
Great program, learning about it.

Newbie question, When we talk about encoding, ffmpeg or such, will that encode properly for iPhone/iPod?

If so, any way to change/tweak the settings?

Thanks

Ben
You need to change the default encoding arguments. See this post for an example:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...55#post6647555

At some point I'll probably just define pre-defined templates for certain popular devices such as Ipod, PS3, etc. to make things easier. With the current implementation though it's very flexible and wide open - you can define your own script to do the encoding.

Old 09-15-2008, 02:26 AM   #244
gshakhn

Original Airdate

Would it be possible to add the Original Air Date as one of the options for the file name? I'm recording some reruns that don't have Episode Numbers, but I'd like to keep them ordered by their original air date so I can watch them in proper order.

e.g.
Scrubs_2002_10_31_My_Big_Brother.mpg

I just got a TiVo a week ago, and this program is already invaluable in saving room on the TiVo. Thank you for all the hard work!
gshakhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 05:53 PM   #245
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshakhn View Post
Would it be possible to add the Original Air Date as one of the options for the file name? I'm recording some reruns that don't have Episode Numbers, but I'd like to keep them ordered by their original air date so I can watch them in proper order.

e.g.
Scrubs_2002_10_31_My_Big_Brother.mpg

I just got a TiVo a week ago, and this program is already invaluable in saving room on the TiVo. Thank you for all the hard work!
Unfortunately Original Air Date information is not available directly from the Now Playing List xml URL (only CaptureDate is available). To get that type of information requires running and processing a separate URL for each show which would be time-consuming to perform and slow down the Now Playing List retrieval. I suppose it's possible instead of collecting information at Now Playing List retrieval time for every show to collect it later only for shows actually selected for processing, but that would entail a fair bit of extra coding to accomplish. So the answer is yes, it would be possible, but would require a fair bit of work to do so.

Last edited by moyekj : 09-15-2008 at 05:59 PM.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:02 PM   #246
mrmike
Custom User Title

Is there any plan to cache NPL info locally?
mrmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 06:13 PM   #247
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmike View Post
Is there any plan to cache NPL info locally?
Please elaborate?

Old 09-16-2008, 09:39 AM   #248
W Auggie H
Tivo Enthusiast

Dumb question: I have installed ActivePerl and KMTTG components as described, when I double-click on the kmttg.pl file I only see a quick flash of a command window. No GUI. I have not used ActivePerl before, and the install seemed to run fine. Any thoughts?
Old 09-16-2008, 09:47 AM   #249
pjknight9

Quote:
Originally Posted by W Auggie H View Post
Dumb question: I have installed ActivePerl and KMTTG components as described, when I double-click on the kmttg.pl file I only see a quick flash of a command window. No GUI. I have not used ActivePerl before, and the install seemed to run fine. Any thoughts?
Not a dumb question at all. Make sure you check the readme as I had this same issue and was missing the TK package. The Readme shows how to install that. I can't wait to try this program out after I get my Tivos installed tomorrow (stupid Verizon Fios makes you wait for a technician to install the CableCard).
pjknight9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:51 AM   #250
jmpage2

Quote:
It sounds like Perl is not working correctly. When I run KMTTG there is a DOS window running Perl in the background that shows all of the things KMTTG is doing behind the scenes.

Remove Perl and re-install it very carefully reading the instructions. Make sure you are loading packages and running scripts as an Administrator on your box.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 10:04 AM   #251
W Auggie H
Tivo Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
It sounds like Perl is not working correctly. When I run KMTTG there is a DOS window running Perl in the background that shows all of the things KMTTG is doing behind the scenes.

Remove Perl and re-install it very carefully reading the instructions. Make sure you are loading packages and running scripts as an Administrator on your box.
When I install ActivePerl it seems I can't run the GUI? I uninstalled and reinstalled The ActivePerl 5.10.0.1004 for Windows 64-bit (x64) and there is no option in program files to run PPM. So I ran it from the command line and I get this:
C:\Perl64>ppm gui
The PPM graphical interface is not available for this Perl installation.
Run 'ppm help' to learn how to use this program as a command line tool.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:05 AM   #252
mrmike
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Please elaborate?
Say I have 3 TiVos. If I switch between them, it appears to re-fetch the NPL each time. It would be nice if that data was cached with some sort of time-out (30 minutes maybe, or make it a config) so that you could browse more quickly. It would also give you the data for browsing a combined list as an added bonus.
mrmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 10:07 AM   #253
jmpage2

Quote:
When I install ActivePerl it seems I can't run the GUI? I uninstalled and reinstalled The ActivePerl 5.10.0.1004 for Windows 64-bit (x64) and there is no option in program files to run PPM. So I ran it from the command line and I get this:
C:\Perl64>ppm gui
The PPM graphical interface is not available for this Perl installation.
Run 'ppm help' to learn how to use this program as a command line tool.
Well, Perl 5.10 is part of your problem, as noted in the instructions Perl 5.10 does not have all of the binaries needed for the KMTTG script.

You will need Perl 5.8, the version you need is linked and explained in the install instructions.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:13 AM   #254
pjknight9

Quote:
Well, Perl 5.10 is part of your problem, as noted in the instructions Perl 5.10 does not have all of the binaries needed for the KMTTG script.

You will need Perl 5.8, the version you need is linked and explained in the install instructions.
But if you install the TK package, it works fine. I set it up last night with 5.10. Look at the readme, it will guide you.
pjknight9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 10:14 AM   #255
W Auggie H
Tivo Enthusiast

Well for a reason I can't explain at the moment the 64-bit version doesn't install the GUI. I am trying the 32-bit version now to see if that helps.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:21 AM   #256
W Auggie H
Tivo Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjknight9 View Post
But if you install the TK package, it works fine. I set it up last night with 5.10. Look at the readme, it will guide you.
Yes, but the instructions to install the TK package include using the PPM which is not present in my 64-bit install of either version of ActivePerl. I just installed the 32-bit version and PPM is now there.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:22 AM   #257
moyekj

Quote:
When I install ActivePerl it seems I can't run the GUI? I uninstalled and reinstalled The ActivePerl 5.10.0.1004 for Windows 64-bit (x64) and there is no option in program files to run PPM.
I have Windows Vista 64 bit and run the 32 bit version of Perl v5.10.0.1004 which has the Perl Package Manager GUI. I usually try and avoid the 64 bit binaries when possible.
EDIT: I guess my response was posted a little late but I'll leave it anyway.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:28 AM   #258
W Auggie H
Tivo Enthusiast

Quote:
I have Windows Vista 64 bit and run the 32 bit version of Perl v5.10.0.1004 which has the Perl Package Manager GUI. I usually try and avoid the 64 bit binaries when possible.
EDIT: I guess my response was posted a little late but I'll leave it anyway.
Totally fine. I am new to 64-bit so I thought I would give it a try. Got it working now and I am in process of downloading my first show. So far so good. Thanks.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:42 AM   #259
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjknight9 View Post
Yes, you are correct, but from reading back it seems that this one has caught people on more than one occasion, they install the 5.10 but not the TK.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:13 PM   #260
W Auggie H
Tivo Enthusiast

Quote:
Yes, you are correct, but from reading back it seems that this one has caught people on more than one occasion, they install the 5.10 but not the TK.
That is very true I read that as well. That is why I thought it was strange that when I went looking for the PPM, it wasn't there. Anyway, I installed the 32-bit version and I am up and running now.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:26 PM   #261
W Auggie H
Tivo Enthusiast

Next question: How do I keep the audio and video in sync when using the comskip and or comcut?

My first test was with "The Daily Show" and I used all of the options available like Create Metadata, Decrypt, Comskip, Comcut, and encode. After the first commercial skip/cut I noticed the audio out of sync. Is this common or am I doing something wrong?
Old 09-16-2008, 12:28 PM   #262
W Auggie H
Tivo Enthusiast

Quote:
Next question: How do I keep the audio and video in sync when using the comskip and or comcut?

My first test was with "The Daily Show" and I used all of the options available like Create Metadata, Decrypt, Comskip, Comcut, and encode. After the first commercial skip/cut I noticed the audio out of sync. Is this common or am I doing something wrong?
Sorry, just read the manual and found this:
Quote:
Run comcut
mencoder is used if you select the “comcut” option in kmttg to automatically cut out commercial segments detected by comskip.
NOTE: You are better off using an mpeg2 editor if you want precise cuts and in sync audio/video. The combination of comskip and comcut can work well for some shows but not well at all for others. On occasion I find mencoder can produce out of sync audio/video files.

Old 09-16-2008, 12:49 PM   #263
jmpage2

I'm glad you are up and running, this is a great program and resource for Tivo owners!

Kevin, is there any possibility that a future version can include the ability to provide different options for different programs that are automatically downloaded?
Old 09-16-2008, 01:34 PM   #264
moyekj

Quote:
Kevin, is there any possibility that a future version can include the ability to provide different options for different programs that are automatically downloaded?
I'll have to think about it as it complicates setup quite a bit. Another possibility I don't know if you've considered is you could setup additional kmttg installations each with different configuration options, so as long as you don't run kmttg as a service that may be a way to accomplish what you want with current version. Of course you have to be careful not to run 2 or more sessions at same time downloading from same Tivos since that will create problems, so depending on what exactly you are thinking about that may or may not be a good workaround.

Old 09-16-2008, 11:08 PM   #265
jmpage2

Quote:
I'll have to think about it as it complicates setup quite a bit. Another possibility I don't know if you've considered is you could setup additional kmttg installations each with different configuration options, so as long as you don't run kmttg as a service that may be a way to accomplish what you want with current version. Of course you have to be careful not to run 2 or more sessions at same time downloading from same Tivos since that will create problems, so depending on what exactly you are thinking about that may or may not be a good workaround.
I've done a limited amount of programming so I can appreciate that. Here's a suggestion for another possible enhancement that might not be quite as difficult.

Would it be possible to specify multiple decoding lines/options for the MPG ffmpeg as part of manual or automatic downloads?

For example, it would be nice to be able to have my automatic downloads get coded with the default ffmpeg options that you've specified (for playback on the Tivo, PC, etc) as well as a compact MP4 version for playback on an ipod. Both versions could be decoded prior to the deletion of the .tivo file and could just have the different extensions/path/etc?
Old 09-17-2008, 01:37 AM   #266
moyekj

Quote:
I've done a limited amount of programming so I can appreciate that. Here's a suggestion for another possible enhancement that might not be quite as difficult.

Would it be possible to specify multiple decoding lines/options for the MPG ffmpeg as part of manual or automatic downloads?

For example, it would be nice to be able to have my automatic downloads get coded with the default ffmpeg options that you've specified (for playback on the Tivo, PC, etc) as well as a compact MP4 version for playback on an ipod. Both versions could be decoded prior to the deletion of the .tivo file and could just have the different extensions/path/etc?
That's the beauty of the current implementation. You can specify the encoder as any batch script you want and use the INPUT & OUTPUT keywords as arguments to the script. Then of course within the script you can do whatever you like including multiple ffmpeg encodings, double-pass encodings, etc.

Also, even if you don't do need re-encoding you can still use the encoding step as an opportunity to run a post-processing script of some kind, perhaps to move files to different folders or whatever else you may want to do.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:34 AM   #267
jmpage2

Quote:
That's the beauty of the current implementation. You can specify the encoder as any batch script you want and use the INPUT & OUTPUT keywords as arguments to the script. Then of course within the script you can do whatever you like including multiple ffmpeg encodings, double-pass encodings, etc.

Also, even if you don't do need re-encoding you can still use the encoding step as an opportunity to run a post-processing script of some kind, perhaps to move files to different folders or whatever else you may want to do.
Ah, I see. So if I'm understanding correctly then I can specify my script name in the "decoder arguments" line and then just call my script that does my own personal decoder steps.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:48 AM   #268
moyekj

Quote:
Ah, I see. So if I'm understanding correctly then I can specify my script name in the "decoder arguments" line and then just call my script that does my own personal decoder steps.
Not quite. The full path to your script should go in the "encoder" slot and script arguments in the "encoder args" slot.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:59 AM   #269
jmpage2

Quote:
Not quite. The full path to your script should go in the "encoder" slot and script arguments in the "encoder args" slot.
Okey dokey I will give that a try later today and hopefully does the trick!
Old 09-21-2008, 05:24 AM   #270
tbigman

first off, thanks for the great program. I am having one glitch that I hope you can help me solve. I am running kmttg under linux and it is working fine except for when it try's to run comskip. I get the following error: *ERROR* comskip binary not found: c:\windows\comskip - I am using the windows version of comskip under wine and from the command line it works great. It produces a *.edl file that I can then go back into kmttg and run the comcut and that works great. so I am trying to find out what to put on the configuration line to get kmttg to call comskip using wine? I can't be the only one right?
tbigman is offline   Reply With Quote