TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-16-2008, 03:24 PM   #241
crabell

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcapepr View Post
Anyway, I have a question, the guy that helped me sad that only the main channel for each premium channel would be viewable (the main HOB, Starz, etc) instead of seeing the whole range of channels.

Is that even true?
NO, you get ALL the Channels. Maybe he meant that you only get the main channel for each premium channel in HD, which is true.

Did you manage to get an M-Card? Or at least did you request it? Don't be surprised if you request an M-Card and you get an S-Cards. Most Installers are clueless about CableCards.

If you run into any problems you should contact Jose Negron (jose.negron@onelinkpr.com) in the IT department. He's the man!

Good luck!
TiVo HD (1 TB) & M-Card

crabell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 05:00 PM   #242
xcapepr

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabell View Post
NO, you get ALL the Channels. Maybe he meant that you only get the main channel for each premium channel in HD, which is true.

Did you manage to get an M-Card? Or at least did you request it? Don't be surprised if you request an M-Card and you get an S-Cards. Most Installers are clueless about CableCards.

If you run into any problems you should contact Jose Negron (jose.negron@onelinkpr.com) in the IT department. He's the man!

Good luck!
Yes I requested an M-Card... and specifically an M-Card. The installer is supposed to come in Thursday if all goes well. I will let the community know how it all went.

I had brought in my current DVR, the 8300HDC to tun it in but the guy at Onelink kept insisting about the whole CableCARD being inferior to their DVR and that you will lose a lot of features and the funniest one of all "there is really no advantage to using a TiVo..." riggght.

So I opted for keeping my current DVR as well as the TiVo for the remaining of this month's cycle and turn it in once the TiVo is all set up.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:24 PM   #243
crabell

Quote:
Yes I requested an M-Card... and specifically an M-Card. The installer is supposed to come in Thursday if all goes well. I will let the community know how it all went.
I hope you actually get an M-Card... It took them 3 visits to finally show up with and M-Card in my case.

Quote:
I had brought in my current DVR, the 8300HDC to turn it in but the guy at Onelink kept insisting about the whole CableCARD being inferior to their DVR and that you will lose a lot of features and the funniest one of all "there is really no advantage to using a TiVo..." riggght.
They appear to be trained to discourage the use of TiVo's and CableCards... just ignore them, they just don't know better.

Quote:
So I opted for keeping my current DVR as well as the TiVo for the remaining of this month's cycle and turn it in once the TiVo is all set up.
Be careful... Believe it or not I returned my 8300HDC a few hours after I got all my CableCards working and the Service Rep. managed to completly screw the configuration of my CableCards. It's just lack of training and experience. If I were you I would return the box BEFORE the CableCards Install just to be on the safe side.

Good Luck once again!
TiVo HD (1 TB) & M-Card

Old 10-20-2008, 03:19 AM   #244
Impulses

Cany any of you guys in PR give me a good synopsis of how the HD pricing scheme works for OneLink here in Puerto Rico? Right now I'm paying for the Digital service but I'm not even using their box, just got the cable hooked straight to the S2 TiVo for the basic cable channels.

I'd like to try out their HD programming, what little there is of it, before I take the plunge and upgrade to a TivoHD... I know the programming is pretty scarce still and I don't have that much of a need for dual-tuner recording (though it'd be nice), regardless, I don't own a BD player yet and the itch for some HD programming is strong. My poor HDTV has suffered thru enough months of SD!

This thing just seems awfully confusing:
http://www.onelinkpr.com/portal/imag...2008mayo08.pdf

Do you need to rent out their HD DVR to get HD programming if you're not using a TiVo or TV w/CableCards or what? How much is it? Is there an additional fee for HD access besides that?

Edit: Ehh, I should've started reading the thread backwards, I skipped around a bit and I saw posts #176 and #190 provide some good pricing info. Still unsure how the pricing would be if I'm not using a TiVoHD yet though. Would it be the $16 HD access + something else for a box orrr...

Last edited by Impulses : 10-20-2008 at 03:28 AM.
Impulses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 11:02 AM   #245
crabell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impulses View Post
Cany any of you guys in PR give me a good synopsis of how the HD pricing scheme works for OneLink here in Puerto Rico? Right now I'm paying for the Digital service but I'm not even using their box, just got the cable hooked straight to the S2 TiVo for the basic cable channels....
Their Pricing for CableCards varies depending on the number of services you have with them as follows:

1. $1.75 Rental of each Cable Card
2. $6.50 Digital Access for each Cable Card
3. HD Channels as follows:

a) If you ony have Cable Service with them:
i) $16.00 the first Cable Card
ii) $6.00 each additional Cable Card

b) If you have 2 services with them (Cable + Internet or Telephone), which is my case.
i) $11.00 the first Cable Card

c) If you have all 3 services with them.
i) $6.00 the first Cable Card

So if you only have Basic Cable with them, you will end up paying $24.25 for one CableCard that will allow you to access the HD channels (about 6 total).

Note that if you also subscribe to HBO, Cinemax , Showtime or Starz you also get access to the corresponding HD version of the Premium Channel you subscribe to.

I hope this helps.
TiVo HD (1 TB) & M-Card

Old 12-11-2008, 04:07 PM   #246
Joybob

Have any of you guys had problems connecting to the Online features lately?
Joybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 05:49 PM   #247
crabell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joybob View Post
Have any of you guys had problems connecting to the Online features lately?
It looks like TiVo disabled all Broadband features for clients outside the 50 states after the introduction of the YouTube feature (early August, I think)

I started a thread about this (http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=403363), but it looks like nobody has been able to get a straight answer from TiVo.

I know that Amazon and Netflix state explicitly that it is only available for the 50 states in their Terms and Conditions, but what about the other features, such as Swivel Search?

I guess we're getting screwed by TiVo this time.
TiVo HD (1 TB) & M-Card

Old 12-13-2008, 08:46 AM   #248
deleonju

Quote:

Good luck!
I emailed that guy (josé negrón) about a week ago and have not received any response. should I just go to the office or wait another three hours on hold on the phone?
deleonju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 12:39 PM   #249
crabell

Quote:
Originally Posted by deleonju View Post
I emailed that guy (josé negrón) about a week ago and have not received any response. should I just go to the office or wait another three hours on hold on the phone?
I've posted this before, but I'll repeat it....

If you are interested in getting a MultiStream Card you can try calling their support number (787-250-7780), but I think you are better off contacting Esther Curbelo via email (esther.curbelo@onelinkpr.com) or telephone (787-622-1473, ext. 2316). It may take several visits, but she'll make things happen.

Jose Negron is the IT guy that can help you with configuration problems once you get your M-Card.

Good Luck!
TiVo HD (1 TB) & M-Card

Old 12-15-2008, 12:42 PM   #250
themaestro2657

Is it true that you are obligated to pay for the HD channels, and thet there is no option to turn them off? If so the cost of the cable card is not $1.75 but $17.25??? Thats what they are trying to charge me even though I do not want the HD channels.
themaestro2657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 02:15 PM   #251
crabell

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaestro2657 View Post
Is it true that you are obligated to pay for the HD channels, and thet there is no option to turn them off? If so the cost of the cable card is not $1.75 but $17.25??? Thats what they are trying to charge me even though I do not want the HD channels.
When I got my Cable Cards I was asked if I wanted the HD Channels, so it should not be mandatory.

They charge $1.75 for the Card itself, $6.50 for the "digital access" and an additional fee if you want the HD channels. This additional fee varies depending on the level of service you have with them.

I think if you just have cable it is $16, if you have two services with them (Internet or Telephony) it is $12 and if you have all services (Cable, Internet and Telephone) it drops down to $8. This is for the first card, the second, third, fourth, etc. are $6 each regarless of your level of service.

This all out of the top of my head, its been posted on this thread before (page 7 I think).

But going back to your original question... HD Channels should not be mandatory for CableCards.

Good Luck!
TiVo HD (1 TB) & M-Card

Old 12-15-2008, 02:45 PM   #252
themaestro2657

Quote:
When I got my Cable Cards I was asked if I wanted the HD Channels, so it should not be mandatory.

They charge $1.75 for the Card itself, $6.50 for the "digital access" and an additional fee if you want the HD channels. This additional fee varies depending on the level of service you have with them.

I think if you just have cable it is $16, if you have two services with them (Internet or Telephony) it is $12 and if you have all services (Cable, Internet and Telephone) it drops down to $8. This is for the first card, the second, third, fourth, etc. are $6 each regarless of your level of service.

This all out of the top of my head, its been posted on this thread before (page 7 I think).

But going back to your original question... HD Channels should not be mandatory for CableCards.

Good Luck!
Well I just had a "discussion" with a supervisor which tried to convince me that the HD channels are part of the cost Cable Card wether I want them or not. I contacted Esther to see if she concurs. Have not received a reply yet.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:09 PM   #253
crabell

Quote:
Well I just had a "discussion" with a supervisor which tried to convince me that the HD channels are part of the cost Cable Card wether I want them or not. I contacted Esther to see if she concurs. Have not received a reply yet.
I'm sorry to hear the "supervisor" is a bit clueless... It's been my experience that if you talk to 10 onelink employees you'll get 10 different responses to your question.

I managed to get what I wanted with the help of Esther and Jose, but who knows... they may be on vacation or maybe they don't work there anymore.

If I can't get what I want from one 'supervisor' I would call the next day to see if I manage to get someone that helps.

Good Luck!
TiVo HD (1 TB) & M-Card

Old 12-15-2008, 08:10 PM   #254
themaestro2657

I will try that. Thank you, you are the man for Tivo in Puerto Rico. We should really try to get them to enable Broadband features for Puerto Rico.
Old 01-01-2009, 02:18 PM   #255
Joybob

It looks like they're adding a chunk of Channels this week.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:49 PM   #256
crabell

Quote:
It looks like they're adding a chunk of Channels this week.
Yes, the've just added 5 digital channels and 2 HD channels. They are also moving the channels around to try and group them by subject.

The HD channels are Disney and ESPN2... I'm wondering when we'll be getting mayor network channels (NBC, ABC, etc.) in HD... But I guess its a start.

Enjoy!
TiVo HD (1 TB) & M-Card

Old 01-01-2009, 03:59 PM   #257
Joybob

Quote:
Yes, the've just added 5 digital channels and 2 HD channels. They are also moving the channels around to try and group them by subject.

The HD channels are Disney and ESPN2... I'm wondering when we'll be getting mayor network channels (NBC, ABC, etc.) in HD... But I guess its a start.

Enjoy!
Channels aren't working for me yet.

Are you sure it's just 2 HD channels, for some reason they've extended up to 630ish so?
Old 01-02-2009, 06:49 AM   #258
crabell

Quote:
Channels aren't working for me yet.

Are you sure it's just 2 HD channels, for some reason they've extended up to 630ish so?
On Dec. 31 the new lineup was not "coordinated", but I checked Jan 1 in the afternoon and everithing was ok.

They've moved all the digital channels around but are leaving some gaps in the numbers. The HD channels start at 600 and end at 631, but it does not mean you get 32 HD channels, since there are large gaps in the numbering. You should have received via "regular mail" a flyer with the new lineup. You can also download it by following this link.

Enjoy!
TiVo HD (1 TB) & M-Card

Old 01-02-2009, 07:36 AM   #259
Joybob

I didn't have any digital channels yesterday and currently the channels are still where they used to be, no new ones.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:03 AM   #260
crabell

Quote:
I didn't have any digital channels yesterday and currently the channels are still where they used to be, no new ones.
I'm in the Levittown/Cataño area, which is run from a totally independent office. My guess is that the San Juan office, which is much larger, has not finalized the lineup change.

I'd give it a few days, but I guess you can always call to see what's going on.

In the mean time you may have to schedule any "important" recordings by "Time/Channel" just to make sure you don't miss your favorite shows.

Good Luck!
TiVo HD (1 TB) & M-Card

Old 01-05-2009, 07:11 AM   #261
crabell

Quote:
I'm in the Levittown/Cataño area, which is run from a totally independent office. My guess is that the San Juan office, which is much larger, has not finalized the lineup change.
I just realized my S3, which is the TiVo I use the most, has all the channels perfectly coordinated, however, my TiVoHD has some channel lineup problems... I guess it is not a Levittown/Cataño office vs. San Juan office issue as I had speculated before.

I'll email José Negrón to see if he can help me out without having to actually call Customer Service.

Has anyone had this lineup problem fixed by calling Customer Service?

[Edit]
I never got a chance to send the email, but I just went home for Lunch and all channels are working fine.
TiVo HD (1 TB) & M-Card

Last edited by crabell : 01-05-2009 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Problem Solved
Old 01-13-2009, 04:26 PM   #262
themaestro2657

HD charge

Quote:

Good Luck!
By the way I confirmed that their policy forces you to pay for the HD channels. There is no way to get cablecard without paying $16 ( or 11 if you have powerlink, which I don't ). So in effect, the cost for getting a cable card is at least 17.25. Is that ok with the FCC? Can they do that?
Old 01-13-2009, 07:16 PM   #263
Joybob

Anyone else notice a lot of hiccups in the HD channels lately?
Old 01-14-2009, 11:38 AM   #264
crabell

Quote:
By the way I confirmed that their policy forces you to pay for the HD channels. There is no way to get cablecard without paying $16 ( or 11 if you have powerlink, which I don't ). So in effect, the cost for getting a cable card is at least 17.25. Is that ok with the FCC? Can they do that?
I don't know if there are any FCC rules about this, but it just doesn't seem right to me.

You can try calling them a few times until you get someone willing to remove the HD channels from your lineup. It's been my experience that you get a different response to the same questions everytime you call them.

You could also contact the "Junta Reglamentadora de las Telecomunicaciones" and tell them they are forcing you to pay for a service that you don't want.

Good Luck!
TiVo HD (1 TB) & M-Card

Old 02-04-2009, 03:16 PM   #265
Joybob

Anyone else have their cable go out yesterday?

I called up and there's an outtage.

They also claim that the first 100 analog channels will go digital in february.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:27 AM   #266
crabell

Quote:
Anyone else have their cable go out yesterday?

I called up and there's an outtage.

They also claim that the first 100 analog channels will go digital in february.
No Cable outtage on my area, maybe it was a regional thing...

Regarding analog channels going digital... I think if they actually do that it will force all users with "Basic Cable" to get a CableBox unless they keep the analog channel and ALSO provide the digital version... I'll believe it when I see it...
TiVo HD (1 TB) & M-Card

Old 04-25-2009, 03:51 PM   #267
Impulses

I was re-reading this thread for some info on how to acquire CableCards in PR (not for myself but for a friend, I'm still not subscribed to any premium channels and I'm waiting for the HD lineup to expand before bothering with it)... Anyway, figured I'd give anyone reading it a heads up, Costco seems to be clearing out their stock of TiVos or something and they have the TiVo HD for $150!

I'm not sure if they're doing the same thing in the US, but that's basically 1/2 what it costs when ordered from TiVo's site. I only bought one because my Series 2 TiVo died... Well the HD did, which brings me to my other point.

Has anyone here ever ripped open their S2 TiVo? Heh, I'm quite certain I could revive my S2 TiVo (which has a lifetime subscription linked to the hardware) if I could copy the TiVo software off another working S2 TiVo, I just don't have one available to do that. I might end up ordering a HD upgrade from Weaknees just to copy the software even if I have to pay the 15% restocking fee to return it afterwards.

Guess I should find out whether the software's available online anywhere, though I'm sure TiVo would frown upon that and try to prevent it.
Impulses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 06:47 AM   #268
crabell

Quote:
I was re-reading this thread for some info on how to acquire CableCards in PR (not for myself but for a friend, I'm still not subscribed to any premium channels and I'm waiting for the HD lineup to expand before bothering with it)... Anyway, figured I'd give anyone reading it a heads up, Costco seems to be clearing out their stock of TiVos or something and they have the TiVo HD for $150!

I'm not sure if they're doing the same thing in the US, but that's basically 1/2 what it costs when ordered from TiVo's site. I only bought one because my Series 2 TiVo died... Well the HD did, which brings me to my other point.
I heard about Costco's great price on the TiVo HD from someone else a few weeks ago and I'm tempted to get one and replace one of my older S2's... My guess is that they got a large quantity and they are not selling as well as they thought here in Puerto Rico, that may not be the case in the US.

Enjoy your new TiVoHD and make sure you activate it from your existing account in order to get the monthly discount.

Quote:
Has anyone here ever ripped open their S2 TiVo? Heh, I'm quite certain I could revive my S2 TiVo (which has a lifetime subscription linked to the hardware) if I could copy the TiVo software off another working S2 TiVo, I just don't have one available to do that. I might end up ordering a HD upgrade from Weaknees just to copy the software even if I have to pay the 15% restocking fee to return it afterwards.

Guess I should find out whether the software's available online anywhere, though I'm sure TiVo would frown upon that and try to prevent it.
My S3 "died" a few months ago and I revived it by getting a larger drive and using DVRUpgrade's InstantCake Software to load the operating system into my new drive. It worked very well, though I had minor glitch because I needed a SATA to IDE adapter in order to make it work. In your case, the S2's use IDE so you shouldn't have a problem. It is important to note that this software expects a drive larget than the original, don't try to load the software on your original drive. Also, remember that you will also need the special tool to open the TiVo's case.

I hope this helps, good luck!
TiVo HD (1 TB) & M-Card

Old 04-28-2009, 05:25 AM   #269
crabell

Quote:
...Costco seems to be clearing out their stock of TiVos or something and they have the TiVo HD for $150!
I couldn't let such a great deal pass me by, so I went to Costco and got a TiVo HD for $149.97 + Tax. I'll use this new TiVo to replace an older Humax DVD S2 unit.

I went to the newer Costco in Bayamon in Las Cumbres Ave and they did not have any. I asked on the Customer Support desk and the lady mentioned the Costo in Hato Tejas, Bayamon had 14 units.

I went to the Hato Tejas store and sure enough, 14 units were there (including the demo unit), of course they now have 13, since I got one.

Did you get yours at this Costco store or somewhere else?

Thanks for the heads up and I hope more people take advantage of this great 50% off deal.
TiVo HD (1 TB) & M-Card

Old 04-28-2009, 05:29 PM   #270
Joybob

We should consider emailing Tivo or Amazon to see if they can do anything about the online features.