Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-11-2008, 02:19 PM   #91
Fish Man
Phish Food

Quote:
Originally Posted by janry View Post
Yes. It might have been a minivan or SUV. But what struck me is the guy seemed about 60, fairly bright, clean-cut, and well dressed. And his wife apparently had her own business. So, this guy decides to pick up a crack whore with missing teeth and scabs on her arm, and not for a BJ. He was in there and not even using a condom. Seriously, I was shocked. I can't imagine. Then, he apparently even signed the release.
I remember that episode fairly well.

I concur with your description except for the assessment that the guy seemed "fairly bright".

Any 60 year old man who apparently lives with reasonable financial comfort, whose wife owns a business (perhaps in partnership with him), who picks up a toothless crack-whore with obvious needle tracks all over her arms (smack-whore?), while conducting business for his wife, and then proceeds to have unprotected sex with her...

Not "fairly bright"!

I'd say, "no brains at all"!

But, it's part of what makes "Cops" so great!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fish Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 02:25 PM   #92
philw1776

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Man View Post
Any 60 year old man who apparently lives with reasonable financial comfort, whose wife owns a business (perhaps in partnership with him), who picks up a toothless crack-whore with obvious needle tracks all over her arms (smack-whore?), while conducting business for his wife, and then proceeds to have unprotected sex with her...

Not "fairly bright"!

I'd say, "no brains at all"!
Good point. Makes note to self. Do not...
Who says wasting time on the internet isn't educational?
philw1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 02:35 PM   #93
janry

Quote:
I concur with your description except for the assessment that the guy seemed "fairly bright".

If you met this guy in normal circumstances, I don't think you'd peg him as being stupid enough to pick up a $20 street walker. There's the shock value. Thus yes, the guy seemed fairly bright.
janry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 02:47 PM   #94
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
I'm glad you shared that information with us. I'm sure we will all change our minds now, and the show will be cancelled.
I can only hope...

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 02:48 PM   #95
Fish Man
Phish Food

Quote:
If you met this guy in normal circumstances, I don't think you'd peg him as being stupid enough to pick up a $20 street walker. There's the shock value. Thus yes, the guy seemed fairly bright.
Point taken.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fish Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 03:07 PM   #96
janry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
I can only hope...
I'm sorry but so far I still enjoy the show.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:55 PM   #97
newsposter
Poster of News

Quote:
But what struck me is the guy seemed about 60, fairly bright, clean-cut, and well dressed.

different strokes (or methods of) for different folks...i'm sure the wife got tested pretty darn quick after

!

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 01:51 AM   #98
nataylor
Curiously Strong

TC CLUB MEMBER
There was a great new episode on tonight. It was titled "What a Sap Special Edition." It was taking their usual stupid criminals to a whole new level.
Old 09-07-2008, 01:57 AM   #99
Donbadabon
Geocacher

It was a classic tonight.

A great line to me was when the chick yelled "I love you Keith" right after telling the cop she had no idea who the guy was they just arrested. lol
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 11:03 PM   #100
mattack

There were *2* new episodes..

but maybe you only thought one of them was great.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:10 AM   #101
Donbadabon
Geocacher

I thought both were good.

The one where the drunk dude was running into the unmarked car was crazy. I kept thinking the camera man should turn off that light so the driver can see what he is doing.
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 01:20 PM   #102
DaveBogart

Quote:
My nephew's wife's brother (kind of far removed, I know) is a camera man for COPS.

According to my nephew's wife, her brother really loves his job! Sounds to me like it would be a blast!

He works mostly in Florida. I've noticed that over the past 4 or 5 seasons a high percentage of the segments are from various parts of Florida.
He's probably worked around my brother, a deputy sheriff in Martin County, featured many times on COPS.
DaveBogart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 10:53 PM   #103
Neenahboy
Grad stud(ent)

Ah, been a while since we've had a good old fashioned drug sting.

Plus the always excellent, "Oh, it's not mine, I just bought this car!"

Last edited by Neenahboy : 09-13-2008 at 11:00 PM.
Neenahboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 11:23 PM   #104
steve614
what ru lookin at?

I was LMAO with the smoke rolling out of that one guys window.
At first, I thought he might have ditched his 'roach' and started a fire.
When will people learn to roll down a window?

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 11:49 PM   #105
Fl_Gulfer
Tivo's R Us

Guess I'm not smart enough for the show, I hate it.....
DirecTV Genie
2 DirecTV HR24 HD DVR
Fl_Gulfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 08:59 PM   #106
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
I'm watching fo the first time in a long time.

I think it really shows the futility of the drug war. So many of the arrests are for simple posesssion. People having drugs on them, but not doing anything else wrong.

It's kind of sad really, that so much time and money and effort is spent on such nonsense.
Turtleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 10:17 PM   #107
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleboy View Post

I think it really shows the futility of the drug war. So many of the arrests are for simple posesssion. People having drugs on them, but not doing anything else wrong.

It's kind of sad really, that so much time and money and effort is spent on such nonsense.
Actually, we watched for the first time in a long time as well, and I had that same thought.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:21 AM   #108
janry

Quote:

I haven't watched yesterday's show yet so I don't know what kind of effort was shown to make a simple posession arrest, but generally they seem to be doing for the TV camera to highlight what they believe to be a drug problem. I don't believe for one minute what you see in this show is typical.

Don't get me wrong, I find this a highly entertaining TV show , but it is about as staged as a "reality" show can be.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:07 PM   #109
cwerdna
Proud Tivolutionary

definitely not my kind of show

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkscout View Post
God I hope TV gets better than this. If COPS is the best TV has to offer I think I will poke my eyes out and throw out my TV, maybe not in that order.
+1

I tried watching Cops YEARS ago WAY before TiVo existed and was blown away by how terrible the TV show was. It was just a bunch of cops, trash being busted w/no real sense of organization or plot.

I like (but don't regularly watch) stuff along the lines of World Scariest Police Chases and World's Wildest Police videos but definitely not COPS. Sorry...
cwerdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 08:19 PM   #110
janry

That was a good episode last night. I've never seen anyone eat up as much taser juice as that one guy did. He really punished those two cops.
Old 09-21-2008, 08:34 PM   #111
nataylor
Curiously Strong

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
That was a good episode last night. I've never seen anyone eat up as much taser juice as that one guy did. He really punished those two cops.
If you look closely (I could see it on the HD feed), most of the time the guy wasn't getting a shock. The barbs were caught in his jacket and not in contact with his skin. When they finally made contact (after they took him to the ground), he started howling.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:24 PM   #112
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
I think I know where that store is in the first segment.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:00 PM   #113
mattack

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I find this a highly entertaining TV show , but it is about as staged as a "reality" show can be.
Cite?

How the hell can it be staged? You could argue that the drug buys are "staged", but they do that even when cameras aren't there.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 08:50 AM   #114
janry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Cite?

How the hell can it be staged? You could argue that the drug buys are "staged", but they do that even when cameras aren't there.
I'm referring to how these are not your typical police patrols they put the cameras in to ride along with. I believe they pick the zone to patrol in to give the most likely chance of a good call. It's not a random patrol they ride along with.

Also, have you ever noticed how quickly back-up gets to the scene? Lots of times, the back-up is right there as soon as a foot pursuit starts. I believe they have back-up patrol cars intentionally nearby at most times to make sure the camera crew doesn't tape a criminal getting away.

I've read when one cop in the area spots something suspicious, such as a stolen car, if it doesn't appear to be a life-threatening situation, he will radio the car with the camera crew to come there and actually be the car that appears on camera to be the one that finds the stolen car, and then he does the pull over.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:11 PM   #115
newsposter
Poster of News

Quote:
i guess he answers my question about whether or not you can tase someone without hurting another cop in contact with that body.

whatever he was on, they need to hand that out..no pain ever

get down now..spread your arms like an airplane! (never heard that one)

!

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 08:56 AM   #116
RonDawg

Quote:
I'm referring to how these are not your typical police patrols they put the cameras in to ride along with. I believe they pick the zone to patrol in to give the most likely chance of a good call. It's not a random patrol they ride along with.
I don't know what you mean by they are "not your typical police patrols." As far as I can tell, from someone who does the job, they are about as typical as you get.

Now are the COPS crews going to be more likely to ride in busy cities and/or patrol beats? Of course they are. You'd be bored to tears watching me on my patrol beat, for example

Quote:
Also, have you ever noticed how quickly back-up gets to the scene? Lots of times, the back-up is right there as soon as a foot pursuit starts. I believe they have back-up patrol cars intentionally nearby at most times to make sure the camera crew doesn't tape a criminal getting away.
The quick backup may be more due to editing, in which the actual time is compressed to a few seconds. I've seen a few episodes where day suddenly turns to night all on the same call, and vice versa.

Or it could be that the departments they ride with, and/or beats they work, have a high density of beat cars, thus the seemingly short response times.

Quote:
I've read when one cop in the area spots something suspicious, such as a stolen car, if it doesn't appear to be a life-threatening situation, he will radio the car with the camera crew to come there and actually be the car that appears on camera to be the one that finds the stolen car, and then he does the pull over.
On most episodes I find it to be the opposite, where the cop with the camera crew is enroute to back up someone with the interesting call. With most suspicious person/circumstance calls, if you don't act on it right away, the perpetrator will long be gone by the time you do so.

Where COPS does take a bit of creative license is in those mini-interviews they do with their officer at the beginning of each segment. Often the officer will talk about something pertaining to his personal life, or work life, and all of a sudden they are involved in a situation that relates to what he/she just spoke about. Or, they'll say they need to back up someone in what clearly is an urgent, perhaps Code 3, type of response, but appears to be extremely calm and doesn't seem to be in a hurry to get there. These you can clearly tell were staged.

Sometimes you can tell that the beginning interview wasn't done at the same time as the exciting/interesting segment, as clothing (short sleeve vs. long sleeve) and occasionally hairstyle and presence/lack of facial hair will be different.

The following memorable episodes makes me believe that the series, for the most part, isn't staged:

1. The Palm Springs, CA cop who shot a guy after a short foot pursuit, and while not captured on camera, was clearly heard on the audio from his wireless microphone.

2. The Fort Worth, TX cop who, trying to be a hero, broke out the windows trying to save a woman from a burning house. Only problem was, her house was not the one on fire

3. Another Fort Worth cop who continued to engage in a pursuit despite being told on the radio (clearly audible to the COPS audience) to discontinue, resulting in the fleeing suspect T-boning a car at a high rate of speed and seriously injuring the innocent driver. I heard that this guy ended up getting fired for insubordination.

4. The two Denver police cars who collided with each other while responding Code 3 to a call, one of them carrying a COPS crew inside who filmed the entire thing (and were hurt in the process).

5. The two cops (Albuquerque?) who responded to a call of a robbery and came across a leopard-print-leotard-wearing truck driver who claimed a stranger he invited into his truck cab suddenly robbed him at gunpoint. I'm sorry, but that story is far too bizarre to be fiction
RonDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 09:45 AM   #117
nataylor
Curiously Strong

TC CLUB MEMBER
Don't forget the episode (I don't remember where it was), where the cop chased a stolen car off-road. The cop got stuck and the bad guy got away. Then the cop's car caught on fire and was a total loss.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:45 AM   #118
RonDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by nataylor View Post
Don't forget the episode (I don't remember where it was), where the cop chased a stolen car off-road. The cop got stuck and the bad guy got away. Then the cop's car caught on fire and was a total loss.
Yes, that was a good one too. Though I'm sure the cop involved didn't think it was funny, nor did his Chief

Actually, there are a lot of good COPS episodes. I still remember the pilot episode in Florida, when that one detective goes home and his wife, sensing an opportunity to pounce in front of a nationwide audience, lays into him about how he's become distant and won't share stories about his day with her and how she married a cop to live vicariously through him and yada yada yada. And the whole time he's simply staring at the TV going uh huh, uh huh, uh huh.

I wonder if they're still married?

There were a couple of good ones from the Houston area. I get a kick out of the ones who wear cowboy hats as part of their uniform. One of them was even named Bubba
RonDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 08:16 PM   #119
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
I just saw my Condo in the establishing shot of Broward County.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:19 PM   #120
nataylor
Curiously Strong

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
I just saw my Condo in the establishing shot of Broward County.
That was you tossing cigars off the balcony?