TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-12-2008, 10:17 AM   #1
miller890

DVR Diagnostics in Setting menu

This morning I noticed a new menu option that I have not seen before, DVR Diagnostics under Settings. The DVR Diagnostic option only appeared on one of my S3 TiVos.

So I tried it.

It is 2 hours later and I still have a Please Wait... Message.
Comcast, all wired to 1GB
miller890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 10:34 AM   #2
mazman

That happened to me once, too. It should only take a second or two for the menu to come up.

You'll need to pull the plug on the Tivo and reboot and you should be OK.
mazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 11:14 AM   #3
eziemann

+1 here as well on a THD

Tried it and a few hours later is was "please waiting..."
Had to pull the plug to reset.
eziemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 10:07 AM   #4
sieglinde

Crap

I had to repower up. My mistake.

I wonder what the use of that option is.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:06 AM   #5
slimoli

Same here. After about 1 hour I decided to repower it.
slimoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 11:15 AM   #6
Gregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieglinde View Post
I had to repower up. My mistake.

I wonder what the use of that option is.
You can use it to look at the uncorrected and corrected error counts, the signal/noise ratio, as well as the signal strength.

Very useful in cases where there's pixellation.

MK:3523-2615-6739

Do not taunt happy thread counts.
Gregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 09:45 AM   #7
DaJoos

Any update on this?

Well it's been a month or so since the last update to this thread so I thought I'd check in and see if any of the original posters ever resolved their problem.

I too made the mistake of selecting this option on my HD XL last night and that was it for my Tivo evening - this morning when it was still on 'please wait' I pulled the plug and all seems OK (though the pregnant pause before my shows appeared in Now Playing helped me wake up more than my coffee). Anyway - all the posts except for the one previous to this are people saying it no workee, while the last post explains what it's supposed to do without mentioning if he/she also had problems before success. Did anyone have the nerve to try this again and have it work? Any idea why it works for some (I guess) and not others?
DaJoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 11:58 AM   #8
billyjoebob99

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaJoos View Post
Well it's been a month or so since the last update to this thread so I thought I'd check in and see if any of the original posters ever resolved their problem.
I'ts been hit and miss for me. It seems like if it's been a few days since I used it locks up. After a restart I can use it all I want. All I can think is that if I leave it on a channel with a spotty signal the error count gets so high it overflows a buffer. When I enter the menu and it tries to read the error buffer and - BOOM.
billyjoebob99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 12:30 PM   #9
Poochie

Funny this thread got bumped - I too fell into the really long "Please Wait" screen when going into DVR Diagnostics on my S3 last night. Any remote input would give the error "bonk" noise, and the background screen was continuing to animate. After ~5 minutes I did the plug-pull reboot, everything came back up fine.
Poochie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 01:09 PM   #10
SCSIRAID

Hmmmm... Interesting. The Diagnostics option has always worked fine on my S3.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 01:11 PM   #11
janry

I've used this many times to adjust my indoor antenna. Never had a problem. Used it just this morning to check a cable channel that isn't coming through.
janry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 03:36 PM   #12
roadkill_97006

I was having sound dropouts and decided to check the signal strength and for the first time ever mine went into the toolies and I had to reboot. Immediately afterwards I did it again and it popped up the diagnostics screen in just a blink of time. Weird.
roadkill_97006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 09:18 AM   #13
kucharsk

Just a note that this is still an issue.

Pity as it's the only way to get signal information like VPID/APID and this used to work just fine a year or so ago.

The only time it won't hang the TiVo is right after a reboot.
kucharsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 10:07 AM   #14
esb1981

I use this screen frequenty on my Tivo HD and have only had this problem once or twice, and that was probably more than 6 months ago. I've been using it a lot lately to check on pixelation problems, and haven't had a problem. I'll be more judicious in my use though, especially if I'm recording something! So thanks for the heads-up that this is still a problem.
esb1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 08:37 PM   #15
SamD

DVR Diagnostics option screen hangs TiVO HD

I second that DVR Diagnostics sets TiVO HD forever on Please Wait screen. No way now to find out RS uncorrected numbers.
SamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 12:37 AM   #16
lrhorer

I have two S3 TiVos and a THD, and despite frequently employing the diagnostics on all 3 TiVos, I have never had any problems.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:21 AM   #17
jrm01

I have an S3 and a THD and have used this diagnostic hundreds of time over the past few months. Never had a problem.
jrm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:51 AM   #18
moyekj

I use DVR Diagnostics a lot as well. Occasionally with recent releases it does hang up my DVRs (S3s). Usually that only happens when tuned to a channel that doesn't lock to a frequency (missing in CableCard channel map or under SDV) or some other issue -- exactly the time when diagnostics would be most useful.
However on those occasions following a reboot from hanged state (pulling the plug) and tuning both tuners to channels I wanted to check and then returning to diagnostics usually is successful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 12:47 PM   #19
SamD

I have DVR Expander connected, may be this is the reason of this hang? I still need to check if DVR Diagnostics is available immediately after reboot but so far my TiVo HD hangs always no matter what channel it is tuned to.
I guess this all started after last software update.
SamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 06:56 PM   #20
b_scott
TiVo Fan

Hung for me just a minute ago. I swear I've used it before. I was checking it cause I kept getting sound dropouts on HGTV HD in Chicago. Had to reboot.
b_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 10:21 AM   #21
will792

DVR Diagnostics hangs my S3 as well
will792 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 10:26 AM   #22
justen_m

I just used it a half dozen times yesterday on my TivoHD with no problem (trying to fine tune the aim of my OTA antenna so was looking at signal strength and SNR).
justen_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 10:46 AM   #23
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

It has hanged 2 or 3 times for me, about 5% of the time; quite rare, but it does happen. The times it did hang, there seemed to be something actually wrong with the tuning on one of the channels, as opposed to the times I use it just to see how long it's been since the last reboot or what the error rate is on a channel.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:48 PM   #24
sender_name
XM 202!

Just thought i would bump this and point out this is STILL happening on my Series 3...I think it happens when, as hypthesized earlier, you leave it on a channel for a long time and then check it..It does seem to still be recording despite the "please wait" screen...I have to wait until 9 to reboot...
I have successfully used this many times, but tonight i had some sound drop outs on a channel it was tuned to all day..and poof..please wait
sender_name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 05:29 PM   #25
gbrayut

Same here on my TiVoHD. It's difficult to say how often it happens because it's not an option I frequently navigate to. I have seen it work and it's very helpful. But the wedge is really annoying -- I searched the forum again because it just happened on my unit again. Seems like since this has gone on for several years, TiVo Dev could diagnose it by now.
gbrayut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:08 PM   #26
chazas

Just happened with my Premiere. I don't remember this happening with my S3, back in the days when I was fighting Fios signal strength issues....
chazas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:30 PM   #27
WhiskeyTango

My TivoHD hangs seemingly every time I try to access the Diagnostics screen. Especially troublesome since I was trying to determine if I had a problem with my signal or if my Tivo itself was having a problem. I just avoid trying to view it now. PITA.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:08 PM   #28
justlikeradio

Premiere/CableCard/Comcast problems: help needed to find thread

Title says it all, sorry if OFF Topic.

New Premiere to replace Comcast DTA.
Cableguy tried 3 Cable cards, even had his support and Tivo support on the phone at the same time. I heard him give the 3 pairing numbers as well....

1st item in cable card menu showed Val:? 0x00, and nothing after that...
but everything else seemed ok.

Feed wiring is correct, all done by Comcast...
justlikeradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:24 AM   #29
haysdb

I tried this for the first time today on my S3 and it hung. Not cool TiVo. After a reboot it works. This problem has been around since at least January 2008; more than 3 years.
Old 06-25-2011, 01:59 PM   #30
pmiranda

Funny, when I was having lots of issues with my TA I never had a problem in this screen, but now that it seems to work most of the time, if I do have an issue every few months and try to figure it out with this screen it hangs.
I think billyjoebob99 is onto something... some error log somewhere is probably filling up.
pmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote