TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-27-2008, 04:12 PM   #1
sledhed

Question Need help kick-starting Toshiba RS-TX20

Need some hints...
I have tried the reboot - hold pause - type in 57 kickstart 6 times with no apparent success on my TX20. I want to scan the drive as there times when there are specific programs that will not record to DVD no matter what I do. Transferred to PC, they contain synch errors that videoredo fixes (only had trial version which has since expired), so that must be related.

Can anyone give me the step-by-step kickstart for this unit, since the indicator lights are not like the regular TiVo when going through the boot sequence? I thought I got it to take a couple times, but it never showed a green screen as far as I could tell, if it did it was a flash and gone. And some of the programs are still having trouble recording to DVD, repeatedly. Other program record to DVD just fine, first time, every time.

Other than this issue which seems to happen more and more frequently (and the slow-slow-slow response time which is a constant), this unit works fine since day 1 and we have recorded hundreds of DVDs with it. I am sure it is not the DVD recorder since most programs record to DVD fine, and the ones that do not consistently do not record to DVD (repeated coasters). Plus the consistent videoredo synch thing.

Sorry for double-posting but I was getting no responses in the RS-TX thread...

sledhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 04:26 PM   #2
techieunite

See the forum posted by Windracer below. Sorry for posting partially correct instructions.

Unplug the unit from power.

Wait 30 seconds, then plug it back into power. Start holding down the yellow pause button the remote. (credit goes to Windracer and he corrected me)

Watch the DVD and recording lights closely. When one of them turns yellow-orange, press 5 button then 7.(All in quick succession)

The tivo will continue booting and will show the "almost there" screen.

Instead of now playing, it will show a green screen stating that a serious error had occurred and it is trying to fix the problem.

The unit may reboot 10-12 times or more to fix this issue. I tried this on a humax unit with only one bad sector. It took about 3 hours and 10-12 reboots, but the thing finally worked without issue. Before, it was locking up on the menus and wouldn't do anything.

Turn the TV off and go do something else. Come back in about 2 hours and see what it is doing.

When this is all done, you should be set. Shows that had issues before will probably still not burn to DVD, but new shows should be okay.

Last edited by techieunite : 09-05-2008 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Incorrect instructions corrected by Windracer
techieunite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 04:39 PM   #3
sledhed

Thanks for the info. If I remember right, the right LED (associated with the dvd) turns yellow-orange almost right away and stays that way for most of the boot sequence. I hold the pause key down the whole time. At least one of the 6 times I tried the 57 right away, with no discernable results...

I will give it a try tonight with this in mind when we are done TiVo-ing for a while and ready to go to bed.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:54 AM   #4
sledhed

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledhed View Post
Thanks for the info. If I remember right, the right LED (associated with the dvd) turns yellow-orange almost right away and stays that way for most of the boot sequence. I hold the pause key down the whole time. At least one of the 6 times I tried the 57 right away, with no discernable results...

I will give it a try tonight with this in mind when we are done TiVo-ing for a while and ready to go to bed.
Still no discernable results, trying the pause-57 right away after rebooting.

Maybe I am missing something... batteries are good in the remote as light stays on steady when holding pause down. Any other ideas? We have enough programs on this unit that if it were to have the corrupt volume flag set and meaningfully scan the disk I would think it would take longer than that, but it is linux and it has been to many years since I did anything with Unix / Linux variants to remember... they had like 4GB drives back then...

Still looking for help. Thanks.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:07 PM   #5
windracer
joined the 10k club

I've posted the kickstart steps for you here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...21#post6655221

Hope that helps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 05:21 PM   #6
sledhed

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
I've posted the kickstart steps for you here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...21#post6655221

Hope that helps.
Thanks Windracer, I appreciate. Going to give it a try tonight (if I remember) when we are done watching TiVo'd programs for the day...
Old 09-09-2008, 05:13 PM   #7
sledhed

Quote:
Thanks Windracer, I appreciate. Going to give it a try tonight (if I remember) when we are done watching TiVo'd programs for the day...
Thanks again Windracer, it is not quite as easy to do as the regular series 2 because of the difference in LEDs and their purpose, so with your instructions I got the kickstart 57 to work, as evidenced by the GSOD I got a little later (like you said, after it reboots again), and I left it to do its thing and went to bed. This morning it was up and running as normal. So if there was anything on disk (bad sectors etc.) that needed checking, it is done now.

I am considering an HDD upgrade, and I know lots of peolpe have posted on here about that, but in the couple searches I did I have yet to find a real definitive statement on what drives are the quietest and work best. I already tried a Seagate 500GB PATA retail desktop drive but it was too noisy, made the entertainment center hum from vibration. Put the drive into my desktop instead. I am thinking a DB35 drive may be the only way to go for quietness, and they have gotten cheaper as they even carry them at buy.com now.

But that is another topic... I will search more before I post regarding people's experiences with upgrading drives...
Old 09-09-2008, 07:56 PM   #8
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Thanks again Windracer, it is not quite as easy to do as the regular series 2 because of the difference in LEDs and their purpose, so with your instructions I got the kickstart 57 to work
Sweet ... glad I could help!

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote