TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-26-2008, 01:20 PM   #5641
We Tigers

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanj76 View Post
Very cool! Sounds like that will (hopefully) be the fix I need as well! As I also have a 6 month promotional package. Can this be something I could call Comcast about or should I wait instead for the installer to come on Thursday?
Did the last tech leave the cablecard? If so, you might be able to get it done over the phone. If not, I'd just talk with the tech on Thursday and make sure he passes that along to the folks on the other side.

And ruinah--I expect it's the case nationally as well, so worth a shot.
We Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 01:35 PM   #5642
evanj76

Yep, I still have the card. The only problem is I never seem to get anyone on the phone that knows what they are doing.
evanj76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 03:41 PM   #5643
lexsar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgordonleds View Post
The realignment went fine in jessup-anne arundel but tivo hasn't sent the changes to the my S2 yet, still waiting. In order to get it working, I had to rerun guided setup.

Derek
Same here in Howard County MD. Reran guided setup and now all is fine...
1 - Tivo Premiere XL4 - Unmodded
1 - HTPC (homebrew) running Win7 Ultimate
lexsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 04:23 PM   #5644
a68oliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by We Tigers View Post
Did the last tech leave the cablecard? If so, you might be able to get it done over the phone. If not, I'd just talk with the tech on Thursday and make sure he passes that along to the folks on the other side.

And ruinah--I expect it's the case nationally as well, so worth a shot.
I have a 12 month promotional digital package in Indiana and did not have this problem setting up my cablecards. However, I did have a problem with them trying to bill me for a different package than the one I had been offered.
Tivo HD November 2007
a68oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 04:31 PM   #5645
ruinah

well the tech came out while I wasn't here, luckily the wife is home and he was here a total of 30 minutes and it's all fxed. The tech did nothing but call into his dispatch and they took a look, saw a problem, called into cablecard support, and guess what? It wasn't ACTIVATED! This is what I told them about 1,000 times Saturday. Took only about 5 minutes and then I got every channel I should have. I now have all my premium channels tuning finally. The guy gave me his name and number and said he normally does mostly Internet troubleshooting but can do cablecards too. (this guy called me after the tech left to see if it was ok and working to my satisfaciton).
ruinah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 09:09 PM   #5646
Dantax

All channels in digital?

Does anyone know if a Tivo HD along with a cable card will pick up all of the channels in digital?

My first experience with the Comcast digital boxes had the expanded basic channels in analog with only the channels that were part of the digital package coming through in digital. After a while everything came through in digital which allowed for a much nicer picture in most cases. Since my Comcast DVR died on me I'd be happy to jump on a Tivo if it'll tune everything in digital with the proper channel mapping.
Dantax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 09:17 PM   #5647
Gregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantax View Post
Does anyone know if a Tivo HD along with a cable card will pick up all of the channels in digital?

My first experience with the Comcast digital boxes had the expanded basic channels in analog with only the channels that were part of the digital package coming through in digital. After a while everything came through in digital which allowed for a much nicer picture in most cases. Since my Comcast DVR died on me I'd be happy to jump on a Tivo if it'll tune everything in digital with the proper channel mapping.
That's the way mine worked when I had Comcast with cable cards. It really depends on the system. Some are set up that way, some are not.

MK:3523-2615-6739

Do not taunt happy thread counts.
Gregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 09:29 PM   #5648
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantax View Post

Just call your local office and ask if they digitally simulcast the analog channels. Or post the cable system you're inquiring about and perhaps someone who also is on the same system can answer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 06:49 PM   #5649
Fahtas1

No Cablecards In Nj

I called Ocean county comcast to install cablecards into my parents hdtivo and was told there are no cablecards and I was put on a list. Do I believe them?
Fahtas1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 09:20 AM   #5650
ruinah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahtas1 View Post
I called Ocean county comcast to install cablecards into my parents hdtivo and was told there are no cablecards and I was put on a list. Do I believe them?
I thought the cable company was required to have them at this point. I'd call shenanigans and get a new CSR and ask the same question. If not, ask for a manager and see what they say.
ruinah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 11:48 PM   #5651
HuntWorks

I have a Series3 with Comcast as the provider. About 2 months ago I had the HD channels added to the account and it took 4 online chats to get a support rep to figure out how to get the HD channels working. Today I decided to add HBO (via chat) and it worked instantly. Great - or so I thought - until I discovered that the rest of the HD channels are now not working. I can't get anyone at Comcast to get the HD channels working again and they're wanting to roll a truck to replace the cards!

I'm positive that the rep that added HBO had to have done something that caused the loss of the HD channels. How can I get someone at Comcast to fix it without sending a truck?
HuntWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 07:46 PM   #5652
RhoXS

Yesterday we purchased a new Tivo HD DVR. Today I think I upgraded my south Florida cable service to include digital and HD channels. It is truly incredible how poorly and inconsistently trained the Comcast sales personnel are, at least in the Palm Beach Gardens call center. I was really hoping all the negative comments about Comcast in the various threads here were from a minority of disgruntled customers. I sincerely apologize. It is almost impossible to have any degree of confidence that what is discussed either is or will be reality.

-The first person I spoke never heard of s-cards or m-cards.
-The second person I spoke to stated a single m-card is available. This person also stated that two S-cards would incur a charge of approximately $2 per month for the second card.
-The third person I spoke to said M-cards were not available and I would require two s-cards at $6.95 EACH per month for a total of $13.90. He was adamant that he was correct and even put me on hold for a few minutes while he checked with someone else.
-The fourth person I spoke to said a single M-card is available and is included in the $6.95 fee for HD service. For a number of reasons this person impressed me as being both smart and knowledgeable so I placed an order for the package that includes everything and the HD channels.

The installer is due on Friday. I have zero confidence he will arrive with a single M-card.
RhoXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:30 PM   #5653
legaleye3000

QUESTION FROM NOOBIE:

I have basic and expanded and want to get HD from Comcast in South Florida (Broward). I have Series 2 and am looking to upgrade to Tivo HD with a "M" card.

Do I just need a "M" card? I know the reps know nothing ,etc... Is that all I ask for? I heard two "S" cards do the same thing, but its just an extra cost to have two cards when I can have one.

Will the "M" card allow me to record two channels, whether HD or SD, at the same time?

THANKS!
legaleye3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:32 PM   #5654
Gregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by legaleye3000 View Post
QUESTION FROM NOOBIE:

I have basic and expanded and want to get HD from Comcast in South Florida (Broward). I have Series 2 and am looking to upgrade to Tivo HD with a "M" card.

Do I just need a "M" card? I know the reps know nothing ,etc... Is that all I ask for? I heard two "S" cards do the same thing, but its just an extra cost to have two cards when I can have one.

Will the "M" card allow me to record two channels, whether HD or SD, at the same time?

THANKS!
Yes. The M card will let you record 2 channels at the same time.

MK:3523-2615-6739

Do not taunt happy thread counts.
Gregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 11:32 AM   #5655
lexsar

Comcast CSR says CableCards are not available with Triple Play

I just purchased a TivoHD. I called Comcast to schedule a tech to come out and install a CableCard; hopefully a multi-stream or at worst 2 single-stream cards. The Comcast CSR that I spoke with said I could not get a CableCard with my "Triple Play" discounted service. He said that the CableCards have no ability to be associated with a "Triple Play" discount that I would have an increase of the cable portion of my bill from a discounted ~$52/month to over $72. He also wouldn't let me speak, kept interrupting me and talking over me. When I did get a word in edgewise and said that the Comcast website states in the FAQ that the first CableCard is free and additional CableCards are $2.05 per month, he informed me that this is his profession and that he knows what the rates are. I asked to speak to a supervisor. He refused and he said again that this is his profession and that he knows what the rates are. This is when I said good-bye. I don't believe that I've ever been treated this way by ANY "Customer Service Representative". Up until now I've been pretty satisfied with Comcast. I've had Comcast service for 20+ years.

I called right back and spoke to a second Comcast CSR who said I could absolutely get a CableCard with the Triple Play. I asked how much it would be and she said $6.95/mo. I pointed out that Comcast's website FAQ says that the first CableCard is free and additional CableCards are $2.05 per month. She said that is an "online" price and suggested that I order it online. I've been searching the Comcast.com site and I cannot seem to locate where I would order a CableCard online.

I believe that I'm already paying an extra $6.95 or so per month for HD. Am I to understand that they want to charge me an additional $6.95 for the Cablecard?
Old 09-05-2008, 12:11 PM   #5656
jlb
NCC-1701-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoXS View Post
Yesterday we purchased a new Tivo HD DVR. Today I think I upgraded my south Florida cable service to include digital and HD channels. It is truly incredible how poorly and inconsistently trained the Comcast sales personnel are, at least in the Palm Beach Gardens call center. I was really hoping all the negative comments about Comcast in the various threads here were from a minority of disgruntled customers. I sincerely apologize. It is almost impossible to have any degree of confidence that what is discussed either is or will be reality.

-The first person I spoke never heard of s-cards or m-cards.
-The second person I spoke to stated a single m-card is available. This person also stated that two S-cards would incur a charge of approximately $2 per month for the second card.
-The third person I spoke to said M-cards were not available and I would require two s-cards at $6.95 EACH per month for a total of $13.90. He was adamant that he was correct and even put me on hold for a few minutes while he checked with someone else.
-The fourth person I spoke to said a single M-card is available and is included in the $6.95 fee for HD service. For a number of reasons this person impressed me as being both smart and knowledgeable so I placed an order for the package that includes everything and the HD channels.

The installer is due on Friday. I have zero confidence he will arrive with a single M-card.
Absolutely amazes me how crap Comcast is. I think they purposefully give all of their CSRs 0 info so that we as customers get so annoyed that we just end up getting their cable box instead. LOL!

Makes me glad I just have lifeline service at $10/mo.

BTW, since you just bought your TiVoHD, just yesterday they announced the new TiVoHD XL, which comes with a 1TB stock drive. That will give ~150 hours of HD whereas the HD model, without another drive or the expander drive, only gives you ~ 20 hours of HD. It is listing at $599 (IIRC), which may be more than you want to spend, but you might want to consider it if the higher cost is not a big thing for you. If you do consider swapping machines, I would try and do it before your installer arrives. You multiply the pain ten fold if they come, install the cards in the HD, then have to move them to another machine.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:25 PM   #5657
lexsar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb View Post
Absolutely amazes me how crap Comcast is. I think they purposefully give all of their CSRs 0 info so that we as customers get so annoyed that we just end up getting their cable box instead. LOL!

Makes me glad I just have lifeline service at $10/mo.

BTW, since you just bought your TiVoHD, just yesterday they announced the new TiVoHD XL, which comes with a 1TB stock drive. That will give ~150 hours of HD whereas the HD model, without another drive or the expander drive, only gives you ~ 20 hours of HD. It is listing at $599 (IIRC), which may be more than you want to spend, but you might want to consider it if the higher cost is not a big thing for you. If you do consider swapping machines, I would try and do it before your installer arrives. You multiply the pain ten fold if they come, install the cards in the HD, then have to move them to another machine.
The TivoHD I purchased was a refurb @$150, couldn't pass that up...
Old 09-05-2008, 02:55 PM   #5658
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexsar View Post
I believe that I'm already paying an extra $6.95 or so per month for HD. Am I to understand that they want to charge me an additional $6.95 for the Cablecard?
The $6.95 charge is an HD outlet or HD programming charge and you will be charged this for every outlet in your home that has HD service either through cable card or an HD converter box. Apparently any kind of "premium" HD service (even just Discover HD, NatGeo HD, etc) qualifies as a premium service and results in this up charge.

If you did not have premium HD service then I suspect you would get the CC for free.

I fought this fee for months and finally gave up. At least in the market that I am in, there's no getting out of paying this fee.

Personally I find the whole thing rather disgusting. Analog signals are getting turned off next year and everything is going HD, yet Comcast manages to make delivery of HD services a premium and gets to charge extra for it.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 02:55 PM   #5659
RhoXS

JLB, thanks for the suggestion but $600 is much more than we want to spend. In fact, I would not have purchased it at all if I was not able to get at the $200 price from Best Buy (see post in another thread). Once we get a feel how limited the 160 GB drive is, I intend to replace it with a 500 to 1 TB drive. My wife is the overwhelmingly primary user so I have to see how quickly Oprah, the View, Helen, etc. eat up drive space.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:32 PM   #5660
RhoXS

Wow, Comcast was just here, and, in spite of my worst fears everything worked out great.

Here are the facts with respect to Comcast in south Florida (Stuart area):

-They do indeed provide M-cards. The installers (two of them) arrived with four cards. Two M-cards (the second was a backup if the first one did not work) and two S-Cards (as a backup to the M-cards). The first m-card worked fine.

-I do indeed receive the music channels through the Tivo HD DVR

The installers first checked signal strength both at the pedestal outside the house and directly at the outlet by the TIVO. They also checked the coax connectors and, very embarrassingly for me, found one that I did a sloppy job installing. They appeared to know exactly what they were doing.

Apparently the Tivo HD DVR needs an exceptionally strong signal to reliably process HD material. Initially some of the 400 series channels were either not being received or displayed some significant pixelation. After much troubleshooting we replaced the distribution amplifier I had installed in my attic with a unit Comcast provided. My old unit was a Channel Vision unit with the same performance specs but it was apparently malfunctioning as the new amp solved the problem.

In summary, my worst fears were not realized and I am very pleased with the installation.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:47 PM   #5661
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
Personally I find the whole thing rather disgusting. Analog signals are getting turned off next year and everything is going HD, yet Comcast manages to make delivery of HD services a premium and gets to charge extra for it.
Everything is not going HD, it will be digital. Not all analog is being 'turned off', it's up to the Cable Co's whether or not to leave any active. So HD is still a premium.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 03:51 PM   #5662
c3
TiVoholic

It may be different in your Comcast area, but around here, $6.95 is the additional digital outlet fee, nothing to do with HD. There is no such thing as "HD service/programming fee". In general, if you get the SD channel, the HD version is automatically included.
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 11:16 PM   #5663
lexsar

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3 View Post
It may be different in your Comcast area, but around here, $6.95 is the additional digital outlet fee, nothing to do with HD. There is no such thing as "HD service/programming fee". In general, if you get the SD channel, the HD version is automatically included.
That's how I originally understood it to be but it my bill shows differently...
Old 09-06-2008, 12:32 AM   #5664
jmpage2

Quote:
My bill shows $7 HDTV converter charge for my "free" cable box that's included with the service. Apparently it's charged because it's an HD box instead of a plain SD digital box.

I also have a charge of $6.95 for digital additional pkg, which looks like a 2nd outlet fee in addition to the $1.50 cable card fee that I pay, but Comcast insists that I'm being charged this fee because of my HD programming for the "2nd outlet" of the Tivo box.
Old 09-06-2008, 03:06 AM   #5665
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
My bill shows $7 HDTV converter charge for my "free" cable box that's included with the service. Apparently it's charged because it's an HD box instead of a plain SD digital box.
That's correct. The HD box rental fee is in addition to any other fees. That's equipment fee, not HD programming fee.

Quote:
I also have a charge of $6.95 for digital additional pkg, which looks like a 2nd outlet fee in addition to the $1.50 cable card fee that I pay, but Comcast insists that I'm being charged this fee because of my HD programming for the "2nd outlet" of the Tivo box.
If you have a Comcast box and two CableCards for one TiVo, then you have two outlets. One outlet is included in the regular monthly cost. The second outlet would cost you $6.95, and the second CableCard in the same outlet would cost you $1.xx.
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 08:44 AM   #5666
legaleye3000

If you only have ONE TV, with a TivoHD, Comcast, and one M card, how much are you supposed to be charged for on the HD service+any equipment? I'm thinking it should be the HD fee ($7) and that's it because you are supposed to get one cable card for free.

Is this right? Thanks
legaleye3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 08:49 AM   #5667
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by legaleye3000 View Post
If you only have ONE TV, with a TivoHD, Comcast, and one M card, how much are you supposed to be charged for on the HD service+any equipment? I'm thinking it should be the HD fee ($7) and that's it because you are supposed to get one cable card for free.

Is this right? Thanks
With your digital programming package you should get your first outlet free. That "outlet" includes both tuners of your TiVo HD.

Your first CableCard on that outlet is free.

There should be a modest charge (typically around $1.50) for the second CableCard on that outlet if needed, but if you get an M card as the first CableCARD, a second one is not needed in the TiVo HD.

There is no HD equipment fee at all since you are not renting any HD equipment. The CableCARD is not "HD equipment" by definition, a Comcast digital tuning receiver or DVR capable of tuning HD channels is "HD equipment."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:23 AM   #5668
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Agreed. I have an SD cable box (Moto DCT-700 I think) and a Tivo HD with one M-card, and I get charged $5.99/mo. for additional digital outlet on the Tivo. No HD charge. I think this is the way it's supposed to be.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 11:21 AM   #5669
jmpage2

Quote:
That's correct. The HD box rental fee is in addition to any other fees. That's equipment fee, not HD programming fee.

If you have a Comcast box and two CableCards for one TiVo, then you have two outlets. One outlet is included in the regular monthly cost. The second outlet would cost you $6.95, and the second CableCard in the same outlet would cost you $1.xx.
If what you're saying is correct then if I had my two S-cards swapped out for an M-card my bill would go down by $8.xx a month.

Interestingly enough, Comcast has refused to swap out my S-cards for an M-card.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:14 PM   #5670
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
If what you're saying is correct then if I had my two S-cards swapped out for an M-card my bill would go down by $8.xx a month.

Interestingly enough, Comcast has refused to swap out my S-cards for an M-card.
No, if you have a COmcast box, that's one outlet. If you have a TiVo HD that's one outlet. If you have both, that's two outlets.

The second CableCARD cost is typically ~$1.50 each, if they're charging you at all for it. That's how much you might save going to an M card from two S cards; you wouldn't save an outlet fee.