Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-16-2008, 01:35 PM   #151
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
So it sounds like at least the "M" card may have problems but that possibly neither are fully paired/activated.

Make sure the cableco CSR knows that the tech needs to bring more than a couple of cable cards with them when they return. There are stories here of techs going through as many as a half-dozen cable cards before finding one that works so I'd keep after them. And keep us posted!

Cableco techs usually check a limited number of channels; certain ones that are within each frequency band/set. If those work they'll declare everything working, but we all know that isn't always the case. Don't be afraid to have them do it up again, re-run TiVo's Guided Setup once more and then sit and click through various or all of the channels until you're satisfied. They may get antsy as most are contractors that get paid by the job, but it'll save you some time and aggravation in the long run. Offer them something to drink and have a good chat about something and who knows, they may become your best friend.
Thanks Rich. I'm on hold now with Mediacom CS so I can make sure they bring several cards. In the meantime, I just pulled the cards so I could record the shows I want over this weekend.

EDIT #1: Boy, are these people dense. After telling me she would contact a supervisor to send a hit to the card, they put me on hold. She then comes back and says "They say it's not the cablecards, it's your signal strength." I said, no, they checked my signal strength yesterday, and it was just fine. I said, please send a hit to the cards and let me test the channels. Now I'm on hold again.....

EDIT #2: Oh, this just gets better and better. I'm on hold for another 10 minutes, she comes back and says two supervisors tell her "We don't troubleshoot TiVos." I tell her it's a registered Cable Labs device, and yes they should send me a hit. I've asked to speak to a supervisor now....and am on hold once again. This is turning into a frickin' nightmare....

EDIT #3: OK...they sent, what they called, strong hits to both cablecards, I noticed a couple different pieces of info (under conditional access and the DVR diagnostics screens), tested the channels received and am now repeating guided setup. We'll see if this "sticks".

XL4

Last edited by Bierboy : 08-16-2008 at 02:44 PM.
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 05:53 PM   #152
captkirk685

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
Thanks Rich. I'm on hold now with Mediacom CS so I can make sure they bring several cards. In the meantime, I just pulled the cards so I could record the shows I want over this weekend.

EDIT #1: Boy, are these people dense. After telling me she would contact a supervisor to send a hit to the card, they put me on hold. She then comes back and says "They say it's not the cablecards, it's your signal strength." I said, no, they checked my signal strength yesterday, and it was just fine. I said, please send a hit to the cards and let me test the channels. Now I'm on hold again.....

EDIT #2: Oh, this just gets better and better. I'm on hold for another 10 minutes, she comes back and says two supervisors tell her "We don't troubleshoot TiVos." I tell her it's a registered Cable Labs device, and yes they should send me a hit. I've asked to speak to a supervisor now....and am on hold once again. This is turning into a frickin' nightmare....

EDIT #3: OK...they sent, what they called, strong hits to both cablecards, I noticed a couple different pieces of info (under conditional access and the DVR diagnostics screens), tested the channels received and am now repeating guided setup. We'll see if this "sticks".

Just wondering how things turned out, I read your entire post and now I am left without an ending... I hope it worked for you
captkirk685 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 11:11 PM   #153
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by captkirk685 View Post
Just wondering how things turned out, I read your entire post and now I am left without an ending... I hope it worked for you
Well, here it is so far. From Saturday, after they re-initialized the cards, until tonight, everything was jim dandy. Then I came home after taking my wife out to dinner for her birthday, and I discovered USA HD had disappeared. Every other channel was fine.

So I spent some time with Mediacom CS on the phone tonight. He said that, from what he saw, my cards were "unresponsive". I asked what that meant, and he said they were dead. I said, no they're not...I'm getting all the channels I'm supposed to get except USA HD. He said that, as far as he knew, USA HD was fine on their system. He supposedly sent hits to both cards after I pulled them and reinstalled, but that made no difference. Tech is supposed to bring two new cards on Tuesday.

So the ending hasn't yet been written...

XL4
Old 08-18-2008, 08:52 AM   #154
captkirk685

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
Well, here it is so far. From Saturday, after they re-initialized the cards, until tonight, everything was jim dandy. Then I came home after taking my wife out to dinner for her birthday, and I discovered USA HD had disappeared. Every other channel was fine.

So I spent some time with Mediacom CS on the phone tonight. He said that, from what he saw, my cards were "unresponsive". I asked what that meant, and he said they were dead. I said, no they're not...I'm getting all the channels I'm supposed to get except USA HD. He said that, as far as he knew, USA HD was fine on their system. He supposedly sent hits to both cards after I pulled them and reinstalled, but that made no difference. Tech is supposed to bring two new cards on Tuesday.

So the ending hasn't yet been written...
That sucks, I guess I am one of the lucky ones with no issues so far, but its only been 10 days. I have 3 tivo hd's with single stream M cards in each and so far haven't had any problems. Avenue broadband is our cable system, they just bought out Charter in our area( southern Indiana) good luck I hope you figure it out because these tivos are awesome when they work.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:32 AM   #155
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
That sucks, I guess I am one of the lucky ones with no issues so far, but its only been 10 days. I have 3 tivo hd's with single stream M cards in each and so far haven't had any problems. Avenue broadband is our cable system, they just bought out Charter in our area( southern Indiana) good luck I hope you figure it out because these tivos are awesome when they work.
Well now, the interesting thing is I just discovered USA HD is back. This is aggravating. I hesitate to cancel another service call, so I may just have them come out as scheduled tomorrow to check things out. You're right; when it's working the way it's supposed to, it's awesome.

XL4
Old 08-19-2008, 07:15 AM   #156
jmaditto

Not 100% Yet

I'm similar to BierBoy...everything was working Sat and Sun and then sometime Monday, I lost my digital encrypted channels. Unlike last week, my card status is "Ready" as opposed to “Not Staged” so I'm calling TWC C/S to hit the card and see if that will do it. I probably should have just called their National Cable Card Support Line as this rep immediately wanted to send out a tech. I told her that probably won't help and that she needs to work with the Headend. On hold now while she checks. She probably isn't checking at all and is laughing at me right now.

Oh well, assuming this works out, I sure hope I don't have to make a weekly call to TWC to hit my card.

I'm telling you, it sure seems like the CS reps with TWC are not very familiar with cable cards and certainly not TiVo. I thought since I waited a year all this would be smooth now. Oh well.

Update - All finished with TWC CS....once I directed her to the Heandend it went well. Someone removed the CC serial from my account. She worked with the Headend and they say everything is good now. I will find out later today.

Another Update - it took one more call to the TW National CC Hotline as the Host ID was entered incorrectly. It's all good now. I'll tell you one thing, no more calling the general CS number for CC issues.

Last edited by jmaditto : 08-19-2008 at 11:36 AM.
jmaditto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 02:20 PM   #157
rlcarr

RCN doesn't seem to pair

Just wanted to pass along a snippet from my install and what I've found from subsequently asking around.

It looks like RCN doesn't bother to pair the CC with the TiVo. Both here in Arlington, MA and apparently in at least NY they just call in or transmit in the CC serial number to the mothership and install the card. No interest in even looking at the host IDs (let alone calling them in). So there's activation but no pairing.

However, I do get all my channels fine and it at least a couple of people I've talked to who have also verified their card(s) are activated but unpaired are getting premium channels OK. So I guess RCN isn't copy-protecting channels (yet).

On the positive side, this would appear to mean you should be able to move the cards around between devices at will (useful if installing a clean upgraded hard drive too, I'd imagine). On the downside, if RCN starts using copy protection things could be hosed, especially if RCN's provisioning application isn't set up to do CC serial number/host ID associations.
rlcarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:12 AM   #158
jmaditto

I like that

Sounds good to me. Less things to screw up during the install/config process. Glad it worked out for you.

Another topic - if you upgrade your internal drive on a THD, does it affect the cablecard pairing? Im afraid to mess with mine since evertthing is stable at the moment.

Last edited by jmaditto : 08-22-2008 at 07:46 AM.
jmaditto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 01:18 AM   #159
captkirk685

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaditto View Post
Sounds good to me. Less things to screw up during the install/config process. Glad it worked out for you.

Another topic - if you upgrade your internal drive on a THD, does it affect the cablecard pairing? Im afraid to mess with mine since evertthing is stable at the moment.
I have upgraded 3 THD's and all my cable card settings stayed in tact with no problems..
Old 08-24-2008, 07:24 AM   #160
rlcarr

Quote:
I have upgraded 3 THD's and all my cable card settings stayed in tact with no problems..
How did you do the upgrade, though? Did you use a clean drive? Or did you copy (at a minimum) the settings, etc. off your old drive?
rlcarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 09:38 AM   #161
captkirk685

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlcarr View Post
How did you do the upgrade, though? Did you use a clean drive? Or did you copy (at a minimum) the settings, etc. off your old drive?
I used a program called winmfs and made a backup of all my old drives then popped in the new drive and did a restore of my backup and it only took about a minute and it keeps all your settings and current software version but does not copy your recordings. However there is an option to copy your recordings with this software if you so choose. if you need any help with this software let me know, you can find it with a google search. Make sure your using windows Xp service pack 2 or later before you hook up any tivo drives to your computer or windows will write something on the drives that make them not work with tivo. The drives I used were clean..
Old 08-30-2008, 11:45 PM   #162
xcalibr

Atlantic Broadband CableCARD Woes

Hi All,

I just got a new HD TiVo. I had 2 techs come out yesterday and install 2 S-Cards. All my regular channels come in but none of my Premiums. I only get up to channel 70, have no HBO, SHO, etc... either, and I only get a couple of my HD channels. I have a regular DVR from them and it gets everything fine. They said I had to wait until midnight, I did, still nothing. So I called again, they said to wait until 5am, I did, still nothing. I called again, they sent a "hit" which did nothing. Called back again they said they sent "something" again and it could take from 3-5 hours to switch over. Now after 10 hours still nothing. It's not been over 30 hours since the techs were here. So now I have another appointment for the techs to come out to the house again. Does anyone have any suggestions or similar experiences with Atlantic Broadband and CableCARDS? I have restarted twice also. I am connected via Ethernet. I have had a regular TiVo for several years, but never had cards installed in a unit until this HD unit. Both cards state that CP has been authorized, if that means anything.

Thank you all for your help!
-Doren
xcalibr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 12:55 AM   #163
aaronwt
HD Addict

Most cable card problems stem from incorrect info being entered. You need to have a tech that knows what they are doing, and they need to get in touch with the correct person at the head end. Even if they have the correct info, if they don't contact the correct person at the headend it won't work properly. I went through that in 2006.

When the correct info is given to the proper person at the headend, my cablecards always came up within a few minutes with all the proper programming.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:55 AM   #164
kwadguy

Does anyone know if the original Series 3 boxes (TCD648250B) will ever be upgraded to support multistream cards?

It sucks that these boxes, which cost a LOT more than the ones that replaced them, haven't been software upgraded to support M cards, unless it's not possible.
kwadguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 11:30 AM   #165
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwadguy View Post
Does anyone know if the original Series 3 boxes (TCD648250B) will ever be upgraded to support multistream cards?
Agreed, but according to TiVoStephen (or was it TiVoJerry...there's a direct response to this question on the forum, somewhere) the S3 is capable of using "M" cards if they were to do some additional software development, however not to expect it any time soon. Now that they've basically discontinued the S3 in favor of the THD and THDXL I wouldn't plan on it ever happening IMHO.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 11:51 AM   #166
kwadguy

Quote:
Agreed, but according to TiVoStephen (or was it TiVoJerry...there's a direct response to this question on the forum, somewhere) the S3 is capable of using "M" cards if they were to do some additional software development, however not to expect it any time soon. Now that they've basically discontinued the S3 in favor of the THD and THDXL I wouldn't plan on it ever happening IMHO.
Well, if that's the case (it's merely a software issue, not a hardware limitation) and Tivo leaves us early adopters who paid big money high and dry, then they can bite me. That'll be the last time I buy their expensive hardware...
kwadguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 07:57 AM   #167
tripmaster

TiVo S3 Cable Cards go bad?

Last nite, watched the debate. Perhaps my TiVo was so overwhelmed that it killed the cablecard bc this AM, all channels except major networks were dead, and even the majors had horrible picture quality. Other channels gave me an error that said "Searching for signal on cable in - see msgs and settings/troubleshooting for info." and another msg (depending on the channel) that says "channel not available - you may need cablecard decoders to view his channel".

TWC NYC is going to send a tech out - is there any special procedure to REPLACE cable cards?
tripmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 11:51 PM   #168
pssst

Fyi

I have RCN in Chicago. After over a week of daily troubleshooting over the phone and having techs coming out several times I said screw it and bought myself one of the new TivoHD units to replace my old Series3HD. My old one had the problem of having two cards installed but only one of them working properly. I now yanked out the good (M) card and inserted it into my new TivoHD and everything is great (without any further calls necessary to RCN). I now have two tuners with all the channels coming from a single M card. I think the problems with RCN lie in them troubleshooting whatever card is in slot 1 regardless of what you tell them is happening with slot 2. So forget the Series3... I mean $300 for a new TivoHD is well worth eliminating the pain that comes from RCN troubleshooting 2 cable cards.
pssst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 10:08 AM   #169
kas111375

Angry Problems w/Cable Cards in Milwaukee area

Hi! Had the tech come out and put in the cards. All was fine until we tested the HD channels. I couldn't get any of them to work. The tech (from Time Warner) called his supervisor and said the cable cards don't support HD channels. I subsequently called the 'solutions' (ha!) desk and they said they support HD, but I won't be able to get 5 HD channels unless I use their equipment. (However, the tech and I couldn't get any of them to work.)

They said not many people in the area are using Tivo HDs with their service so they really can't help me with it, and beyond that, they don't offer support for Tivo. So now I have a TIvo HD that won't receive HD channels...any suggestions?? Thnx!
kas111375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 11:06 AM   #170
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas111375 View Post
Hi! Had the tech come out and put in the cards. All was fine until we tested the HD channels. I couldn't get any of them to work. The tech (from Time Warner) called his supervisor and said the cable cards don't support HD channels. I subsequently called the 'solutions' (ha!) desk and they said they support HD, but I won't be able to get 5 HD channels unless I use their equipment. (However, the tech and I couldn't get any of them to work.)

They said not many people in the area are using Tivo HDs with their service so they really can't help me with it, and beyond that, they don't offer support for Tivo. So now I have a TIvo HD that won't receive HD channels...any suggestions?? Thnx!
Welcome to the forum, sorry it's under such frustrating circumstances. I can't speak for TW, but based on years of posts elsewhere, what they are telling you is a crock. First, if you aren't getting any HD channels they haven't properly paired them. Second, cable cards are cable cards and should be able to handle ALL channels, HD included.

Not sure if you have a TiVo Series3 or a TiVo HD or TiVo HDXL. Series3's require two cable cards, "S" (single stream) or "M" (multi-stream). But TiVo HD's can use one "M" (multi-stream) cable card. If you have a TiVo HD and they installed two "S" (single stream) cable cards, see if you can get them to install one "M" cable card. That may resolve things. If they can't get one or the other up and running, I'd run it up to a higher level; there's no reason that it won't work without using their equipment.

Best of luck!

Last edited by richsadams : 10-13-2008 at 11:17 AM.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:23 AM   #171
a68oliver

Quote:
If they can't get one or the other up and running, I'd run it up to a higher level; there's no reason that it won't work without using their equipment.
Unless the 5 HD channels he can't receive are SDV and he doesn't have a Tuning Adapter/Resolver.

Of course, this doesn't explain why he coudln't receive ANY HD channels.
Tivo HD November 2007
a68oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 11:39 AM   #172
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by a68oliver View Post
Unless the 5 HD channels he can't receive are SDV and he doesn't have a Tuning Adapter/Resolver.
True enough, but I wouldn't put TW at the leading edge of SDV...or much else.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:54 AM   #173
tripmaster

It might help to share what your Cable Card diagnostics/CP status screens show?

TWC is telling you a crock, as other posters are saying.

Quote:

Old 10-13-2008, 02:05 PM   #174
kas111375

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripmaster View Post
It might help to share what your Cable Card diagnostics/CP status screens show?

TWC is telling you a crock, as other posters are saying.
I don't have any of that information anymore b/c I made the tech switch everything back to their crappy DVR since apparently it won't work. (For now!) But I don't want to give up! (BTW, I'm on Tivo HD)

I just went into the Time Warner Customer service store. Yet another person told me (as I've since studied up since the first install) that that YES, this issue is due to SDV, and NO they do not offer adapters and have no idea when they will - if ever.

Am I SOL? Anyone want to buy an unused Tivo HD? I am SO sad...
Old 10-13-2008, 05:50 PM   #175
richsadams

I'm not up on SDV as much as I'd like, but doesn't the law require cableco's to supply adapters? Also, IIRC, TiVo is on the verge of making their boxes SDV compatible so hang in there!
Old 10-13-2008, 09:55 PM   #176
tripmaster

I dont believe thats true unless ALL their HD channels are SDV.

Anyone else here chime in? Im in NYC, so dont have this prob w/our TWC.

Quote:
I don't have any of that information anymore b/c I made the tech switch everything back to their crappy DVR since apparently it won't work. (For now!) But I don't want to give up! (BTW, I'm on Tivo HD)

I just went into the Time Warner Customer service store. Yet another person told me (as I've since studied up since the first install) that that YES, this issue is due to SDV, and NO they do not offer adapters and have no idea when they will - if ever.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:20 PM   #177
michman

Please Help!!!!!!

For me it's the same old crap as the rest of you. Comcast installed an M-CARD in my TiVo HD and I only get analog channels. No digital or HD channels at all.

I'm so frustrated and of coarse calling the support line is useless because they are all soooooooooo uneducated about the issue it makes me sick.

What do I do now???
michman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 11:19 AM   #178
richsadams

Quote:

UPDATE...FCC is fining TWC for SDV violations...

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/10/16...digital-video/

Quote:
Today the FCC's Enforcement Bureau proposed to fine TWC and Cox's Fairfax County system because they "apparently willfully violated" the requirement to support third party CableCARD devices.
Hmmm...third party cable card devices...hmmm...like, um TIVO!

This may or may not apply to you, but how did things finally turn out? Hope you get this resolved.

EDIT: Here's another post about TWC/SDV.

Last edited by richsadams : 10-17-2008 at 11:40 AM.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:09 PM   #179
kas111375

Thanks!

Thanks for the article, Rich. That makes me HAPPY!

There is no solution to my problem at this time and I refuse to pay Time Warner for channels I'm not getting so I returned my Tivo and went back to using TW's DVR for the time being. I also sent an email to the FCC and to TWC corporate.

Hopefully they will have tuning adapters soon, and then I will definitely try to switch back to Tivo, but until then, I am stuck with Time Warner's very inferior product. Boo!
Old 10-20-2008, 12:58 AM   #180
richsadams

Quote:
Thanks for the article, Rich. That makes me HAPPY!

There is no solution to my problem at this time and I refuse to pay Time Warner for channels I'm not getting so I returned my Tivo and went back to using TW's DVR for the time being. I also sent an email to the FCC and to TWC corporate.

Hopefully they will have tuning adapters soon, and then I will definitely try to switch back to Tivo, but until then, I am stuck with Time Warner's very inferior product. Boo!
Understood...and you have all of our sympathy during these trying times.