TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-29-2008, 06:08 PM   #211
jmpage2

Kevin,

Thanks very very much for writing this perl script, as it seems to be just the ticket for me, running Windows Home Server as the only server box in my home network.

I was looking for weeks for a way to download and then play back my .Tivo files from my Tivo in a fashion that would be easy and seamless with my WHS box.

I do have a few questions which I'm not completely clear on from scanning this thread.

1. It looks like there is an option to run the auto transfers as a service, with a timer value for when to fetch the programs. Is there a way to provide schedule information? I would like to make it only grab my recordings when my network is fairly idle.

2. How does your script handle duplicates? I have noticed my Tivo seems to do a lot of duplicate recordings and I would prefer not to have to manually do a lot of cleanup if there's a way to tell it simply not to transfer something already in the repository directory.

3. Are the output .mpg files a lot more compact than the original .tivo files? At this time I only plan on playing back with my .tivo so I don't need FFMPEG conversion, but I would do it if it saved a lot of space. I've noticed that a single 1hr long HD program is over 3GB in size! Yikes!

Thanks again!

Jason.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 06:43 PM   #212
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
1. It looks like there is an option to run the auto transfers as a service, with a timer value for when to fetch the programs. Is there a way to provide schedule information? I would like to make it only grab my recordings when my network is fairly idle.
You could use the batch mode option (kmttg.pl -b) (instead of service mode) and use a scheduler to fire off the script in batch mode on a schedule of your choosing. In batch mode your Tivos are checked only once for matching programs to auto-download and once the downloads and whatever actions you specified to perform on them complete then the program exits.

Quote:
2. How does your script handle duplicates? I have noticed my Tivo seems to do a lot of duplicate recordings and I would prefer not to have to manually do a lot of cleanup if there's a way to tell it simply not to transfer something already in the repository directory.
If you create an auto.history file alongside kmttg.pl then that file is updated each time a download successfully completes with the ProgramId of the download show. That file is consulted before downloading a show and if ProgramId match then the download is skipped. I don't use auto/batch mode much at all and I noticed a while back that for some shows (like O'Reilly factor) the ProgramId is the same every time for different episodes which I thought was unusual, so this may need some work to find a more unique identifier.

Quote:
3. Are the output .mpg files a lot more compact than the original .tivo files? At this time I only plan on playing back with my .tivo so I don't need FFMPEG conversion, but I would do it if it saved a lot of space. I've noticed that a single 1hr long HD program is over 3GB in size! Yikes!
The resulting unencrypted .mpg files are almost the same size as the originally downloaded .TiVo file - some encryption and metadata infromation are stripped out so .mpg is a little smaller but not by much.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 07:20 PM   #213
jmpage2

Thanks very much, I will do some experimenting with some of this and see how things go.

The best part of all of this is that I can finally delete off some of the shows I've been "Saving" on my Tivo!
Old 08-30-2008, 12:46 AM   #214
jmpage2

One comment I can make right now is that Tivo HD is slow as hell in file transfers. I'm seeing about 3GB/hr over 100Mb wired LAN.

Man, that's slow.

By comparison I regularly move 30 megabytes a SECOND to the same server from other devices on the network.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:28 PM   #215
ronaldlw

Problem with auto transfers on some shows

Hey, I'm still loving this script! It really works great for me. I just wish i could get the auto commercial skipping to work right!

One thing i just noticed that is an issue for me is that some shows just have simple titles, "Funniest Pets and People" for example. They don't have any other info in the title that is unique to each show. Because of this only one show ever gets downloaded since the script decides that all the other episodes with the same name are the same episode. Also, I can't go in and manually initiate the transfer either, since that part checks the log and decides the same thing. Is there any way you could add an option on a per show basis to "download all shows" or something? also it would be nice to be able to force processing in the gui even if there is a match in the log already.

Thanks!!

Ron
ronaldlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 10:35 PM   #216
jmpage2

Is there an easy way to debug the script if auto-archiving doesn't appear to be working? I manually ran my auto-archive jobs on 8/30 and no shows have been downloaded since that date, even though the Tivo has several with matching titles.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:14 PM   #217
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldlw View Post
Hey, I'm still loving this script! It really works great for me. I just wish i could get the auto commercial skipping to work right!

One thing i just noticed that is an issue for me is that some shows just have simple titles, "Funniest Pets and People" for example. They don't have any other info in the title that is unique to each show. Because of this only one show ever gets downloaded since the script decides that all the other episodes with the same name are the same episode. Also, I can't go in and manually initiate the transfer either, since that part checks the log and decides the same thing. Is there any way you could add an option on a per show basis to "download all shows" or something? also it would be nice to be able to force processing in the gui even if there is a match in the log already.

Thanks!!

Ron
How do you have your tivoFileNameFormat configured? The standard/default name is [title]_[wday]_[month]_[mday] such that recordings on different days get a different name.

Old 09-03-2008, 01:17 PM   #218
moyekj

Quote:
Is there an easy way to debug the script if auto-archiving doesn't appear to be working? I manually ran my auto-archive jobs on 8/30 and no shows have been downloaded since that date, even though the Tivo has several with matching titles.
I think for some shows ProgramId is not unique for each episode so once you have that ProgramId in the auto.history file then no further episodes are downloaded. If that's the issue then as a workaround you can remove auto.history before starting auto downloads. You can look at auto.log file to see what happened (why nothing recorded).

Old 09-03-2008, 03:48 PM   #219
lrhorer

Quote:
One comment I can make right now is that Tivo HD is slow as hell in file transfers. I'm seeing about 3GB/hr over 100Mb wired LAN.

Man, that's slow.
Although the THD is no racehorse, it should not be that slow. That's less than 7 Mbps. I don't have any trouble transferring up to 18 Mbps via MRV and 15 Mbps or better via TTG. FTP transfers sometimes peak at nearly 45 Mbps.

Quote:
By comparison I regularly move 30 megabytes a SECOND to the same server from other devices on the network.
Not over a 100M connection, you don't. That's 240Mbps, and the absolute maximum possible on a 100M Ethernet connection with a 1508 byte MTU is 96 Mbps. Realistically, 80 Mbps is about the most one would ever see unless giant frames are enabled, no matter how fast the computers at each end are. Transferring server to server over a 1000M link, I've been able to transfer up to a total of 500Mbps in and out of my video server, but that doesn't help the transfers in or out of the TiVos.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 04:30 PM   #220
nowakezone

Can you tell me the encoder arguments command line for a ipod mp4 file?
nowakezone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 05:08 PM   #221
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowakezone View Post
Can you tell me the encoder arguments command line for a ipod mp4 file?
for ffmpeg, here's an example:
-i INPUT -f mp4 -vcodec libxvid -maxrate 1000 -qmin 3 -qmax 5 -bufsize 4096 -g 300 -acodec libfaac -s 320x240 -ab 128 -b 400 OUTPUT

Old 09-03-2008, 06:45 PM   #222
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
Although the THD is no racehorse, it should not be that slow. That's less than 7 Mbps. I don't have any trouble transferring up to 18 Mbps via MRV and 15 Mbps or better via TTG. FTP transfers sometimes peak at nearly 45 Mbps.

Not over a 100M connection, you don't. That's 240Mbps, and the absolute maximum possible on a 100M Ethernet connection with a 1508 byte MTU is 96 Mbps. Realistically, 80 Mbps is about the most one would ever see unless giant frames are enabled, no matter how fast the computers at each end are. Transferring server to server over a 1000M link, I've been able to transfer up to a total of 500Mbps in and out of my video server, but that doesn't help the transfers in or out of the TiVos.
When my downloads finished it showed that for most programs I was getting an average of 8mbps for the transfers. I have the Tivo HD hooked up to a 10/100 netgear switch and then on to a gigabit switch in my basement (most of my other devices are gigabit devices). I suppose it's possible that some other device is dragging things down but I do routinely see 30-40 MB/s transfers over gig-e on the same network.

I will see if there's a log that will help with debugging the transfers. I don't think it's a unique showID problem since I just got the script installed.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:54 PM   #223
lrhorer

Quote:
When my downloads finished it showed that for most programs I was getting an average of 8mbps for the transfers.
That's pretty slow. One thing which will help a lot is whenever the Tivo is not actively recording, set it to channels you do not receive, and do not play a program from the NPL. That way the TiVo won't be busy recording stuff. Recording two 1080i HD programs and watching a previously recorded program while transferring stuff to the network will slow down the network transfer a lot - maybe 50% or more.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 10:10 PM   #224
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
That's pretty slow. One thing which will help a lot is whenever the Tivo is not actively recording, set it to channels you do not receive, and do not play a program from the NPL. That way the TiVo won't be busy recording stuff. Recording two 1080i HD programs and watching a previously recorded program while transferring stuff to the network will slow down the network transfer a lot - maybe 50% or more.
I transferred over 100GB so I had an opportunity to review the file transfers over a 24+ hour period of time (I think it actually ended up taking something like 36 hours to transfer that 100GB).

It didn't matter whether the Tivo was idle or recording or playing back a program, the transfers were always in the 7-9mbps range, usually around the lower side of that range.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:47 PM   #225
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
I think for some shows ProgramId is not unique for each episode so once you have that ProgramId in the auto.history file then no further episodes are downloaded. If that's the issue then as a workaround you can remove auto.history before starting auto downloads. You can look at auto.log file to see what happened (why nothing recorded).
Kevin,

I don't seem to have an auto.history file. For some reason I have not gotten any auto recordings since starting the service, yet if I run the auto jobs from a window in kmttg it works fine.

This is the auto.ini file in my directory;

# kmttg auto.ini file
<check_tivos_interval>

<dryrun>

<metadata>

<decrypt>

<comskip>

<comcut>

<encode>

<title>
star trek
<title>
good eats
<title>
futurama

Any problems that could explain this? I've tried restarting the service a few times also and so far it doesn't seem to have straightened anything out.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:51 AM   #226
moyekj

jmpage2, there should be an auto.log file with a record of what it tried to do. If there isn't one that means it's not running for some reason...

Old 09-04-2008, 08:57 AM   #227
jmpage2

Quote:
jmpage2, there should be an auto.log file with a record of what it tried to do. If there isn't one that means it's not running for some reason...
No auto.log is there, but the service is running with the config I posted above. Is there anything further that can be done to debug it?
Old 09-04-2008, 10:51 AM   #228
moyekj

Quote:
No auto.log is there, but the service is running with the config I posted above. Is there anything further that can be done to debug it?
Please go through the documentation starting at:
http://members.cox.net/kevin.moye/km...AUTO_TRANSFERS
As mentioned the Windows Service mode is experimental and I have not had confirmation from anyone running Vista that it works. I think if you are on Vista you need to have admin privileges to run but not having Vista myself I can't debug on that platform. To me it sounds like the service is not running at all in your case, so you have to take a look at the service setup using various Windows utils.
I think a better, more reliable option is to use the batch mode (perl kmttg.pl -b) along with Windows scheduler. That way you can schedule kmttg to run at intervals of your choosing and without relying on service mode for it to work.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:37 AM   #229
jmpage2

Quote:
As mentioned the Windows Service mode is experimental and I have not had confirmation from anyone running Vista that it works. I think if you are on Vista you need to have admin privileges to run but not having Vista myself I can't debug on that platform. To me it sounds like the service is not running at all in your case, so you have to take a look at the service setup using various Windows utils.
I think a better, more reliable option is to use the batch mode (perl kmttg.pl -b) along with Windows scheduler. That way you can schedule kmttg to run at intervals of your choosing and without relying on service mode for it to work.
The service is actually running with Windows Home Server (based on Windows Server 2003).

Other WHS users pointed me in this direction and said that this worked, I will check to make sure the service is installed with administrator permissions.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:29 PM   #230
jmpage2

Quote:
OK, it's fixed. Looks like when the service was added it took default service permissions which aren't going to cut it in many cases. I don't recall seeing a place in the setup to put the user parameters in for the service instance.

Reset it to run as administrator and re-started the service and it just downloaded everything on the Tivo that was waiting for download.

Kevin, is there any way to run the .mpg conversion as a command line batch job on files that I already downloaded as .tivo files without conversion?
Old 09-04-2008, 01:36 PM   #231
moyekj

Quote:
OK, it's fixed. Looks like when the service was added it took default service permissions which aren't going to cut it in many cases. I don't recall seeing a place in the setup to put the user parameters in for the service instance.

Reset it to run as administrator and re-started the service and it just downloaded everything on the Tivo that was waiting for download.

Kevin, is there any way to run the .mpg conversion as a command line batch job on files that I already downloaded as .tivo files without conversion?
Good to hear. For converting a bunch of .tivo files you can simply go to FILES mode (in configuration turn on Enable File Browser), hit the Add Files... button and use the browser to add all the .TiVo files you want to convert. Then make sure the Decrypt .TiVo option is enabled, select all the files in the list and click START JOBS to convert them.

Old 09-04-2008, 04:06 PM   #232
jmpage2

Quote:
Good to hear. For converting a bunch of .tivo files you can simply go to FILES mode (in configuration turn on Enable File Browser), hit the Add Files... button and use the browser to add all the .TiVo files you want to convert. Then make sure the Decrypt .TiVo option is enabled, select all the files in the list and click START JOBS to convert them.
Thanks again Kevin, that worked a treat (and wasn't quite as clear from the online documentation).

A very minor request if you are entertaining ideas on ways of enhancing an already excellent program.

It would be helpful to specify an output directory for not only encoded video but also the .mpg video files produced when the .tivo files are converted. This would be helpful so that the output .mpg files and the source .tivo files could be automatically sorted into separate directories for different media players, servers, sharing, etc.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:44 PM   #233
ronaldlw

Bad char in title

Noticed that kmttg has problems with the \ char in a title.

Also, is there any chance you could add "seriesTitle" and "description" and "episodeTitle" as separate choices in the file naming? so that i could format the file as:

[seriesTitle] - [episodeNumber] - [episodeTitle] - [description]

to give something like this for example:

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles - 201 - Samson and Delilah - Shaken by the Jeep explosion, John's 16th birthday forces him to face the reality of his destiny alone; Agent Ellison confronts his faith.avi

that way in a directory all the episodes will be sorted correctly according to show and then episode order. Obviously the description makes the file names pretty long, so that might not be a good choice, but at least it could be an option.

Thanks!
Ron
ronaldlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:38 PM   #234
moyekj

------------------
v0.4j (09/09/2008)
------------------
ENHANCEMENTS:
* Added configuration options for separate .TiVo, .mpg, and encoded file
locations. These paths are now all defined separately. If you don't
re-run configuration they all default to being the same.
* Added [mainTitle], [episodeTitle] and [description] templates for default
file name building.

FIX:
* Non-path related '\' characters are now dropped from file name.

Old 09-10-2008, 01:29 PM   #235
jmpage2

Quote:
------------------
v0.4j (09/09/2008)
------------------
ENHANCEMENTS:
* Added configuration options for separate .TiVo, .mpg, and encoded file
locations. These paths are now all defined separately. If you don't
re-run configuration they all default to being the same.
* Added [mainTitle], [episodeTitle] and [description] templates for default
file name building.

FIX:
* Non-path related '\' characters are now dropped from file name.
You rock man!

I will try to test out the path enhancements later today.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:39 PM   #236
jmpage2

One more question as I go and put the new version in. Is there the ability to specify different options for different recordings? In other words can I convert one program to .mpg and do comcut and have a different program not use these options and just get downloaded in .tivo format?
Old 09-10-2008, 06:00 PM   #237
moyekj

Quote:
One more question as I go and put the new version in. Is there the ability to specify different options for different recordings? In other words can I convert one program to .mpg and do comcut and have a different program not use these options and just get downloaded in .tivo format?
Manually yes. Select the 1st show and enable/disable the options you want and then run, then select the 2nd show and enable/disable the options you want and then run (you can do so while other show is already processing). If you are talking about auto mode then the answer is no.

Old 09-12-2008, 03:17 PM   #238
jmpage2

Kevin is famous, his program has been detailed on lifehacker

http://lifehacker.com/5048824/decryp...gs-in-one-step

Mods, maybe this thread being sticky is in order!
Old 09-13-2008, 06:19 PM   #239
ellinj
Seems Very Friendly

Just found this thread. Website no worky. Anyone know what's up?
ellinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 08:05 PM   #240
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellinj View Post
Just found this thread. Website no worky. Anyone know what's up?
Not working for me either. I've been meaning to switch over to Google Code anyway since Cox is unreliable and has a 10MB cap on web space. In a little while I'll post the URL for new host location.