TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-26-2008, 09:38 AM   #1
crabell

Question Broadband features not working...

I've had my 4 TiVos working perfectly on my Broadband Connected Wireless network for a while now. Apparently a few weeks after the 9.4 update all the features that require any unit on my network (S2's & S3's) to access the Internet are no longer available.

All my units connect to TiVo daily through the network, I can transfer programs to my PC and between TiVo's, but all the Broadband features are simply gone.

I confirmed that I have downloads enabled on TiVo.com, that I am "Oped-in", that my Home Network Applications are enabled and that my Tivo Desktop Plus is liked to my tivo.com account.

I just can't think of anything else to check... Any ideas?

Thanks in advanced for your comments.
TiVo HD (1 TB) & M-Card

crabell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 12:42 PM   #2
dylanemcgregor

I had a similar problem about a year ago where broadband features stopped working after an update. After a lot of struggling it was suggested that I open ports on my router, which ended up working. The list of ports is in a post in a couple of threads, including the big Unbox sticky in the Coffee House. I'd link you to it, but search doesn't seem to work on my handheld.
dylanemcgregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 01:35 PM   #3
windracer
joined the 10k club

9.4 is only for the THD and S3 boxes, so it shouldn't have affected your Series2 boxes connectivity to the internet.

Have you tried rebooting the boxes?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 02:55 PM   #4
crabell

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
9.4 is only for the THD and S3 boxes, so it shouldn't have affected your Series2 boxes connectivity to the internet.
I agree, I found it very odd that my S2's would be affected.

Quote:
Have you tried rebooting the boxes?
I've rebooted my S3, my THD and my PC with no change. What I have NOT done is turn all the TiVo's and PC off before rebooting one at a time. Would that make a difference?

Thanks for the input!
TiVo HD (1 TB) & M-Card

Old 08-26-2008, 03:20 PM   #5
windracer
joined the 10k club

It's worth a shot ... turn 'em all off, let one boot up, and see if it can use the broadband features. Then move on from there.

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 03:54 PM   #6
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Last night, my THD wouldn't connect to Tivo home saying 'Gateway not found' and in the end, I had to pull the plug to restart, then it finally connected home.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 03:59 PM   #7
crabell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Last night, my THD wouldn't connect to Tivo home saying 'Gateway not found' and in the end, I had to pull the plug to restart, then it finally connected home.
The odd thing is that I have no problem connecting to "TiVo Home", so it is not an Internet Connection issue... The HME appliations simply decided NOT to work, even if the Internet Connection IS working properly... Go figure!

Thanks for the input anyway.
TiVo HD (1 TB) & M-Card

Old 08-26-2008, 04:02 PM   #8
crabell

Quote:
It's worth a shot ... turn 'em all off, let one boot up, and see if it can use the broadband features. Then move on from there.
I'll try the "Complete System Restart" during the weekend is nothing else solves the problem...

Thanks!
TiVo HD (1 TB) & M-Card

Old 08-29-2008, 06:38 PM   #9
CactusBill

Arrow No download for me

I've been having problems with the broadband features. Restarting with the wifi disconnected and then connecting it sometimes helps, but eventually it fails again. The TiVo support dude said his 2nd tier support dude said I have a "broken" TiVo.
CactusBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 08:04 PM   #10
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Did you try re-entering your network settings?

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 11:21 PM   #11
Rdian06

Got into your Tivo account and disable "Allow transfers" and "Enable video downloads", then Save.

Then turn them back on and Save.

Then force your Tivo's to call home and see if things are back to normal.

Works on Windows, Mac and Linux.
Rdian06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 06:01 AM   #12
crabell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Did you try re-entering your network settings?
I tried this with no change...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdian06 View Post
Got into your Tivo account and disable "Allow transfers" and "Enable video downloads", then Save.

Then turn them back on and Save.

Then force your Tivo's to call home and see if things are back to normal.
I ALSO tried this with no change.

I did a "Complete System Restart" (4 Tivos' & 2 PC's) and there was no change.

I uninstalled TivoDesktop 2.6.2 and reinstalled 2.6.1 and no change.

Something I did notice is that under "Phone & Network" there is a "Diagnostic" (or words to that effect) page that indicates a "Ports" test FAILED. It tells me I should connect to TiVo Service and re-run the "Ports" test. I do this and still no change and the "Ports" diagnostic Fail.

Does anyone know how to make the "Ports" diagnostic PASS? Note that all the TiVo's were working fine, I even used the new YouTube feature and suddenlly it just stopped working.

Thanks once again for your help...
TiVo HD (1 TB) & M-Card

Old 09-02-2008, 04:26 PM   #13
Rdian06

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabell View Post
Something I did notice is that under "Phone & Network" there is a "Diagnostic" (or words to that effect) page that indicates a "Ports" test FAILED. It tells me I should connect to TiVo Service and re-run the "Ports" test. I do this and still no change and the "Ports" diagnostic Fail.

Does anyone know how to make the "Ports" diagnostic PASS? Note that all the TiVo's were working fine, I even used the new YouTube feature and suddenlly it just stopped working.

Thanks once again for your help...
The Ports diagnostic is something they added in 9.4. As far as anyone can tell, it is meaningless for now. My Tivo S3 says fail and everything still works as others have also observed.

When you got to the System Information screen, what does it read for TivoToGo?

Works on Windows, Mac and Linux.
Rdian06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 05:42 PM   #14
crabell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdian06 View Post
The Ports diagnostic is something they added in 9.4. As far as anyone can tell, it is meaningless for now. My Tivo S3 says fail and everything still works as others have also observed.

When you got to the System Information screen, what does it read for TivoToGo?
Thanks for the info regarding the "Ports diagnostic"...

The System Information on all units read "a,a,a"... I guess each "a" means something is "allowed" such as Downloads, Transfers, and something else I can't figure out.

Any other ideas?
TiVo HD (1 TB) & M-Card

Old 09-14-2008, 04:32 PM   #15
CactusBill

Finally working

After changing to a static IP address and turning off and on the allow transfer, the broadband features are working again. And, of course, a few restarts.

CactusBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 06:49 AM   #16
crabell

Quote:
Originally Posted by CactusBill View Post
After changing to a static IP address and turning off and on the allow transfer, the broadband features are working again. And, of course, a few restarts.
I'm using static IP's and I've just turned off transfers and downloads. I'll wait a few days for the TiVo's to actually realize this new setting and then change them back to see what happens.
I hope this does it.
TiVo HD (1 TB) & M-Card

Old 09-19-2008, 12:08 AM   #17
lynncosbm

Quote:
I'm using static IP's and I've just turned off transfers and downloads. I'll wait a few days for the TiVo's to actually realize this new setting and then change them back to see what happens.
I hope this does it.
My broadband features were turned off with the new update as well. I am an international customer and I wonder if Tivo has decided to cut these features off from all international customers for license reasons. I'm not sure if Puerto Rico would be included as international though?
lynncosbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 05:28 AM   #18
crabell

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynncosbm View Post
My broadband features were turned off with the new update as well. I am an international customer and I wonder if Tivo has decided to cut these features off from all international customers for license reasons. I'm not sure if Puerto Rico would be included as international though?
I've changed my networking settings in all imaginable ways with no results.

You bring up a very good point, if TiVo has "officially" turned off the Bradband features for International customers they probably included Puerto Rico. I know that Amazon never worked in Puerto Rico because we are not part of the 50 states and they can tell by your IP address, so anything that does not say "USA" would be blocked.

Does anyone know if TiVo turned off the Broadband Features for non-US customers?
TiVo HD (1 TB) & M-Card

Old 09-19-2008, 11:45 AM   #19
lynncosbm

Quote:
I've changed my networking settings in all imaginable ways with no results.

You bring up a very good point, if TiVo has "officially" turned off the Bradband features for International customers they probably included Puerto Rico. I know that Amazon never worked in Puerto Rico because we are not part of the 50 states and they can tell by your IP address, so anything that does not say "USA" would be blocked.

Does anyone know if TiVo turned off the Broadband Features for non-US customers?
I don't know for sure but I suspect so. Just about all the features don't work anymore on my Tivos where I used to be able to use Rhapsody, download music videos, etc. I have never been able to use Amazon either.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:15 PM   #20
Explorador

International customers...

I'm an international customer too and I have the same problem: local home network features work fine, TiVo schedule updates work fine, but all other broadband features, for example, swivel search, podcasts, TiVo videos, music streaming, etc. are no longer accessible.

What is interesting is that the CNET TV and Guitar Sherpa (TiVo videos) that I subscribed to while the service was working are still delivered, but I lost the ability to reach the menu that allows me to subscribe or unsubscribe to them.

I tried to ping a few of the the IP addresses that TiVo says need not to be blocked (204.176.49.0 thru 204.176.49.127 and 206.112.115.0 thru 206.112.115.255). I just get timeouts. I don't know much about networking but I suppose that TiVo itself could be blocking these accesses for international customers. Do these addresses ping fine within the USA?
Explorador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 02:17 AM   #21
Impulses

Ugh, I'm in Puerto Rico as well and for a few months now I haven't been able to access any of the broadband features either... I hadn't paid any attention to it since I wasn't too attached to any one of them, though I did use 'em occasionaly, but the last thing that crossed my mind was that this would be some sorta international-flag issue. I'm getting really sick of this gray space we seem to occupy in Puerto Rico with regards to any of this kinda stuff, as well as ordering and shipping stuff (still weeping over issues I'm having with Newegg!).

It's the same kind of crapshoot with a lot of the online video aggregators (Hulu, etc.) as well as the big network sites (NBC, CBS, etc.). Some will display shows here, some won't, some will do it randomly... NBC's Olympics video distribution site wasn't working here originally then it started to about a week into the Olympics (after it prompted you for the name of your cable provider, not sure what good that did 'em since there was no verification that I could see).

My video/podcast subscriptions on the TiVo still work as well, heh. I still receive CrankyGeeks, DLTV, and CNet every week... I just can't go in and edit the sub (or drop it for that matter), obviously. Guess I won't even bother messing with the account settings... I suppose I won't miss any of it too much tho, other than that (if they figure out how to fix it and the sub disappears), and Swivel Search, which was painfully slow to use anyway... Far easier to just grab my iPod Touch now and do a web search, or use a WishList search.

The Rhapsody service seemed cool, shame I never got to use the trial. I probably would've used the Amazon Unbox service a ton had it ever worked too...
Impulses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 10:21 AM   #22
crabell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impulses View Post
Ugh, I'm in Puerto Rico as well...

...The Rhapsody service seemed cool, shame I never got to use the trial. I probably would've used the Amazon Unbox service a ton had it ever worked too...
I actually found a place that clearly states that the Amazon and Rhapsody features are not available in Puerto Rico, but I still don't know why the other Broadband features used to work and now they just stopped working. I particularly miss Live360 and Swivel Search.

I plan to call Tivo to see if I can get a straight answer, though I need to call the headquarters and ask for support, since their 877 number does not work from Puerto Rico. I just haven't found the time to make the call.

I'll post any response I get from them.
TiVo HD (1 TB) & M-Card

Old 10-29-2008, 02:54 PM   #23
yaccoz
MR

Same thing happening

Hi, Im living in Puerto Rico, and the same thing is happening to my tivo none of the broadband features work. I've talked to Tivo and they tell me that the broadband features should be working. Im wondering if it might be something to do with onelink here. I dont know I live in Bayamon. If anybody else that is having this problem has Onelink as the cable provider please let me know to see if it might be some kind of a block that Onelink is causing.
yaccoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:42 AM   #24
crabell

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaccoz View Post
...If anybody else that is having this problem has Onelink as the cable provider please let me know to see if it might be some kind of a block that Onelink is causing.
I'm using Onelink as my Internet Service Provider also and the Broadband features are not working either... The thought about a deliberate "block" from Onelink has crossed my mind...

...Anybody out there NOT using Onelink as an ISP?
TiVo HD (1 TB) & M-Card

Old 10-30-2008, 03:12 PM   #25
lynncosbm

I'm in Bermuda and my broadband features have also been completely turned off so I really think it's TiVo that has done it. I can understand why the Rhapsody and Amazon Unbox services have been stopped for license reasons as I am outside the US but don't understand why all the other services like Live 360, Swivel Search, TivoCast, etc. have been stopped. Plus I just got a TiVO HD and was hoping to use the YouTube service but guess I won't be able to use that either now.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:20 PM   #26
crabell

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynncosbm View Post
I'm in Bermuda and my broadband features have also been completely turned off... I just got a TiVO HD and was hoping to use the YouTube service but guess I won't be able to use that either now.
I guess it was easier for TiVo to turn them all off than to go through the trouble of verifying which features are allowed and which ones are not...

Believe it or not I actually managed to use the YouTube feature for one day... I wonder what's the deal...

Good luck to us all!
TiVo HD (1 TB) & M-Card

Old 11-06-2008, 05:23 PM   #27
Impulses

Quote:
I'm using Onelink as my Internet Service Provider also and the Broadband features are not working either... The thought about a deliberate "block" from Onelink has crossed my mind...

...Anybody out there NOT using Onelink as an ISP?
I'm using DMAX (PRTC DSL) here and it hasn't been working for me either so it's definitely not something Onelink-specific. I've thought about switching (due to the better speed) but when the DSL was really giving me issues about 2 years ago OL also seemed to be having outage issues, then they started talking about those 40GB monthly caps... Meh.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:27 AM   #28
crabell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impulses View Post
I'm using DMAX (PRTC DSL) here and it hasn't been working for me either so it's definitely not something Onelink-specific. I've thought about switching (due to the better speed) but when the DSL was really giving me issues about 2 years ago OL also seemed to be having outage issues, then they started talking about those 40GB monthly caps... Meh.
Thanks for the info! Now we know it is definitelly a TiVo restriction. What we need to find out now is why.

Regarding the outages you mentioned... In my experience it is very rare for Onelink to be off-line (At least in my area). The only problem I have is when there is a power outage, because once the power comes back my router boots up before the cable modem and it can't find the internet connection, but I can live with that.

Regarding 40GB monthly caps, I haven't had a problem with that either, though I just use it for my TiVo's and for some "mild" web browsing.

Thanks again for the info and good luck to us all regaining the broadband features.
TiVo HD (1 TB) & M-Card

Last edited by crabell : 05-01-2009 at 06:32 AM.
Old 11-14-2008, 03:41 PM   #29
Impulses

I've actually been thinking about switching again... These past two weeks I've had intermittent service issues (seems to be solved now but it took a lot of calls), I doubt OneLink reliability is any worse (PRTC's issues seem more seasonal than random) but the cap still worries me. Right now I doubt I'd really go over it but if I ever wanna take advantage of a service like Unbox it'd be an issue with such a small cap.

Anyway, just posting to let ya know that I'm still receiving the video podcasts I was subscribed to on my TiVo (CrankyGeeks, CNet, DL.TV), they seem to be coming in more timely than ever in fact (sometimes they'd arrive like half a week late or whatever).

As to the reason why it's been disabled, as others said, my guess is they disabled it all to avoid calls or queries about why stuff like Unbox/etc wouldn't work... They probably have no way of disabling single services from appearing on the menu structure, so they just shut off access to the whole online shebang.

Seems like a rather ham-fisted solution but I can't imagine why else they would turn off stuff like Swivel Search and the net radio stations, etc.
Old 11-28-2008, 06:54 PM   #30
prpilot

Grr

Hi crabell,

Long time, no talk!!!! (since the ol' Cable CARD days)

I actually had YouTube working for about 1 week. I had family come over yesterday for Thanksgiving and discovered that all my applicaations had been turned off!

WTF ??

I understand Amazon.. but Netflix and YouTube? And Domino's ? They should all work here.. at least they do from my computer!

Anyway, I'm on the phone now with TiVo.
prpilot is offline   Reply With Quote