Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-30-2008, 04:15 PM   #1591
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMc73 View Post
Looking into ATT Uverse...
Doesn't work with your S3 so look no more if you still want to use your S3.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 04:45 PM   #1592
ChrisMc73

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Doesn't work with your S3 so look no more if you still want to use your S3.
I know this, I'm looking into it and would sell the S3. The menus are very smooth and very fast and very cool looking, I will have to play with the DVR features and compare. I'm growing tired of changing channels and waiting for a few seconds only to get black screens, and when I do tune in a channel usually the sound skips for a few seconds or so.

I haven't witnessed these issues on Uverse. Just weighing my options.
ChrisMc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 04:53 PM   #1593
ChrisMc73

I've been a big Tivo fan, but it seems I've just had too many issues with the CableCARDs and thats obvious with the amount of threads on them! So I'm going to look into going with what was made to work...
Old 07-30-2008, 05:15 PM   #1594
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMc73 View Post
I've been a big Tivo fan, but it seems I've just had too many issues with the CableCARDs and thats obvious with the amount of threads on them! So I'm going to look into going with what was made to work...
If you go by this forum alone then you have a distorted picture of reality as people having problems will post but others with no issues seldom post to say so. Both my S3s have been nearly flawless so far. Granted a lot of it depends on your local cable headend. Some headends seem to have a lot more problems than others.
Nothing wrong with looking at alternatives and covering all your bases though. (Personally I wouldn't touch UVerse because of bandwidth restrictions, mpeg4 re-encoding and other issues that have been covered in this and other forums).

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 05:35 PM   #1595
saibari

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
If you go by this forum alone then you have a distorted picture of reality as people having problems will post but others with no issues seldom post to say so. Both my S3s have been nearly flawless so far. Granted a lot of it depends on your local cable headend. Some headends seem to have a lot more problems than others. ...
Well, the problems are widespread in the Phoenix/Tucson area such that we even have a dedicated thread for our area! However, I understand that not all areas of the country are experiencing these issues, which seem to be prevalent with Scientific Atlanta cards. I don't know how widespread the problems are in Oklahoma...
saibari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 05:52 AM   #1596
delgadobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by doormat View Post
I think I got this firmware update a while back (5/20) and my Tivo has been working perfectly since. No missing channels, no reboots to get new sub exp date. SA M-Card, Cox Las Vegas.
Question for those in Las Vegas ...

I'm moving to Vegas from Chicago in early-mid October. I called Cox in advance to ask about packages/cable options/Tivo HD/etc. The rep told me analog is & will continue to be available for my existing TIVOs (3 series 2, 2 Toshibas). I asked about HD service since I want to purchase a TIVO HD with Lifetime service when I move; she said they only have S-Cards & they cost $1.99/mo (maybe it was $1.95, in my head 'two bucks' registered).

Here's the rub, though. She said I'd have to pay a 'digital gateway fee' of $4.95/mo for each outlet receiving digital channels that isn't using their cable box. Isn't this what the Cablecard issue & legislation was supposed to eliminate? I told her that was excessive & would limit my spending with Cox. Her response was that it was still cheaper than getting their cable box for $10.95/mo. Well, no it's not. I don't know about their regular cable boxes, but their DVR definitely has dual tuners. She confirmed I'd have to pay for two cable cards & two digital gateway fees to take full advantage of the two tuners in the TIVO HD (or Series 3). That's $4.95 times two plus $1.99 times two, or roughly $14.00 per month to use a TIVO HD. Hah. And I want to get two of them ...

I noticed doormat mentioned having a M-Card, do others in Las Vegas have this? My concern is whether the rep really knew her stuff. I'd like to set up my install in advance & have it set up as soon as I get there. My gut tells me M-Cards have to be available. Plus, am I really gonna get stuck with paying 5 bucks per tuner for access to digital channels? What about HD?

My fear is that Cox Las Vegas won't be much better than RCN or Comcast here in Chicago, which have both sunset analog service so I can't use my TIVOs. (Well, not without getting their cable boxes, using the TIVO redirector/adapter & paying exorbitant fees. No thanks, I'll wait.) The rep quoted a bunch of fees that might hit me (service/install/add'l outlets/etc) - really, in my case it shouldn't be much, as the house I'm buying has a smart box with all the cable centralized to that box, along with network wiring. In theory, my hookup ought to be fairly simple ...

The way things are going, I have a feeling I'm only going to be signing up for analog & just keep my existing TIVOs. Cox has a statement on their web site about keeping analog active for three years beyond Feb. 2009, so maybe I'll have to be patient about digital cable and/or HD channels. Analog will satisfy most of my needs just fine, but I'd like to get a new TV & get access to HD channels without feeling like I'm being kitchen-sinked with fees.

Any advice and/or responses appreciated. Thanks.
TIVO HD 318 Hr (Lifetime)
Toshiba SDH-400 330 Hr (Basic Life)
Toshiba RS-TX20 300 Hr (Basic Life)
delgadobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 06:38 PM   #1597
murraymh

From San Diego

Just my experience with Cox here in SD:

I've used a Tivo series 2 for more than 3 years now & loved it. But with my new big beautiful 50" plasma it was time for hi-def. That meant getting this new hi-def Tivo, & I was somewhat worried because of all the cablecard issues that some people have been having.
Well things went off just about perfect...the Cox cable guy came when they said they would, he installed the single multi-stream card, went thru some setup procedures, then called the office for them to do their authorization thing...and nothing - just a black screen. Called again spoke to somebody else - they did something & bang every thing was there in BEAUTIFUL HD. The whole thing took about 1 hour
So to sum up: 1) HD is super...it's such a bother to watch standard def now,,,and
2) Tivo is still the best DVR out there. It's features, convenience & ease of use put it at the top of it's class.
Help other customers find the most helpful reviews
murraymh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 06:39 PM   #1598
murraymh

From San Diego

Just my experience with Cox here in SD:

I've used a Tivo series 2 for more than 3 years now & loved it. But with my new big beautiful 50" plasma it was time for hi-def. That meant getting this new hi-def Tivo, & I was somewhat worried because of all the cablecard issues that some people have been having.
Well things went off just about perfect...the Cox cable guy came when they said they would, he installed the single multi-stream card, went thru some setup procedures, then called the office for them to do their authorization thing...and nothing - just a black screen. Called again spoke to somebody else - they did something & bang every thing was there in BEAUTIFUL HD. The whole thing took about 1 hour
So to sum up: 1) HD is super...it's such a bother to watch standard def now,,,and
2) Tivo is still the best DVR out there. It's features, convenience & ease of use put it at the top of it's class.

this 4 days ago & all is well
Old 08-10-2008, 07:59 PM   #1599
delgadobb

One more question - how much are TIVO HD and/or Series 3 users everywhere paying for your cable cards? What additional fees are you seeing, if any? (Like the $4.95/tuner digital gateway fee I mentioned above - $10 extra for two tuners on top of programming fees & upgrades is a bit much IMHO.)

What about HD? Is that included in your upgraded/digital/premium package? Or are you paying extra for those channels?

Thanks for any & all replies ...
Toshiba SDH-400 330 Hr (Basic Life)
Toshiba RS-TX20 300 Hr (Basic Life)
delgadobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:01 AM   #1600
ehardman

Quote:
Originally Posted by delgadobb View Post
One more question - how much are TIVO HD and/or Series 3 users everywhere paying for your cable cards? What additional fees are you seeing, if any? (Like the $4.95/tuner digital gateway fee I mentioned above - $10 extra for two tuners on top of programming fees & upgrades is a bit much IMHO.)

What about HD? Is that included in your upgraded/digital/premium package? Or are you paying extra for those channels?

Thanks for any & all replies ...
You should only have to pay one gateway fee.
ehardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 11:13 AM   #1601
JayBird

I'm with Cox in the Phoenix area. I installed 2 cable cards, on M-card in my TiVo HD, and one S-card in my Pioneer Plasma.

Installation was a truck roll fee of $30 (or was it $35?) plus $15 per cable card.

Cost for the cable cards is $2/mo.

Cost for "digital gateway service" went up from the original $5 when I just had a digital cable box to $7. The extra $2 was because I had an "additional outlet" hooked up for digital service. Trying to argue that both the TiVo and the TV were connected to the same outlet (i.e. the same jack) not separate outlets got me nowhere. It's apparently more of a "per device" than "per outlet" charge. It is my understanding that if you have two cable cards in a single device, such as an original Series 3 TiVo, or the case of 2 S-cards in a TiVo HD, they don't charge the additional outlet fee.

Fees in other markets vary widely, even with the same cable company.
JayBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 04:42 PM   #1602
Shawn95GT
Tivo, in HD!

don't worry - your bill will vary greatly for a few months.. then it stabilizes

I don't think my bill was the same/predictable for about 6 months. I argued about the 2 gateway fees and it eventually went away.
1x S3 Tivo WD10EVVS 1TB upgrade
1x Tivo Premier - WD20EURS 2TB upgrade in the works
Shawn95GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 08:02 PM   #1603
cagnew

SA Firmware Version

Does anyone know where I can access the SA firmware version info? I cannot locate this.

Thanks!
cagnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 04:17 PM   #1604
JayBird

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagnew View Post
Does anyone know where I can access the SA firmware version info? I cannot locate this.

Thanks!
From another thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianAZ View Post
You read correct (though it's "304, rather than 3.04"). To see what version you have, do the following:
  1. Tivo Button
  2. Messages & Settings
  3. Account & System Information
  4. CableCARD Decoders
  5. Configure CableCARD 1 (MultiStream) - This is assuming you have a single MCard
  6. CableCARD Menu
  7. SA CableCARD Diag Screen
  8. OS Ver: PKEY1.1.12_F.p.0301

I'm sure there's a more direct route, but this is how I check it.
Those of us in AZ with M-cards currently have the version 301 firmware, which is what's causing all the partial recording issues here for everyone with a TiVo HD. Those outside of AZ may have a different firmware version.
JayBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 05:50 PM   #1605
RumDrinker

If you have had a recent CableCard install within Fairfax, VA area...

Can you please post whether Cox is using S or M cards, and what manufacturer they are? How was the experience? I'm getting a Tivo HD DVR and hoping that M-cards are used as I'll then only need one of those for both digital tuners within the tivo (multi-stream). I'm hearing conflicting stories between the techs and sales regarding how many cards are required - and of course I can't help them if they don't know what card type they're using.

Thanks.
RumDrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 04:05 PM   #1606
jdos

Central FL Cox cable cards?

I got my new Tivo HD last week and set it up on Saturday. Today I called Cox to order the cable card(s). The nice lady that answered the phone told me that I wouldn't be able to receive HD channels with a Tivo HD with a cable card! I only want to receive the "Expanded" HD channels. Has anyone else tried to order cable cards in the Ocala/Gainesville, FL area?

Also, I did a channel scan with the Tivo HD and it found the 6 "Limited Basic" HD channels. But the Tivo shows no schedules for those channels. Is that because they need to be "mapped" to the standard Cox channel numbers?
jdos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:10 AM   #1607
shabby46

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumDrinker View Post
If you have had a recent CableCard install within Fairfax, VA area...

Can you please post whether Cox is using S or M cards, and what manufacturer they are? How was the experience? I'm getting a Tivo HD DVR and hoping that M-cards are used as I'll then only need one of those for both digital tuners within the tivo (multi-stream). I'm hearing conflicting stories between the techs and sales regarding how many cards are required - and of course I can't help them if they don't know what card type they're using.

Thanks.
I had mine installed back in july and the technician said that the M cards are limited so they rarely have any. I got two S cards instead and have not had any problems with them. The sales woman told me that it looked like I only needed one card when I was on the phone with her, so I assumed that they used M's but when the guy showed up he had two with him. He asked how many I wanted before the install though. It took about 30 min to an hour, but a lot of that was letting the 9.4 update install since I actually had the tech over right around when it was released.

I want to say the cards are motorola, but I do not know why I think that. It could be wrong.

A quick heads up though in case you were unaware, the tech told me that "a few" of the HD channels were SDV so I would miss out on them. What he actually meant was that 22 of the 40 are SDV so I would miss out on over half of them, along with any of the non-hd channels which are now SDV. Ive managed to survive on hopes that the tuning adapter would be here soon, but its getting rough.

This is all in Falls Chuch by the way

Last edited by shabby46 : 08-26-2008 at 09:42 AM.
shabby46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:54 AM   #1608
HarryG

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdos View Post
I got my new Tivo HD last week and set it up on Saturday. Today I called Cox to order the cable card(s). The nice lady that answered the phone told me that I wouldn't be able to receive HD channels with a Tivo HD with a cable card! I only want to receive the "Expanded" HD channels. Has anyone else tried to order cable cards in the Ocala/Gainesville, FL area?

Also, I did a channel scan with the Tivo HD and it found the 6 "Limited Basic" HD channels. But the Tivo shows no schedules for those channels. Is that because they need to be "mapped" to the standard Cox channel numbers?
I live in Gainesville, and have service with Cox. I have two TIVO HD DVR's, both with a single M card. I continue to receive all Cox SD and HD channels except VOD (Channel 1 and Channel 700.)
HarryG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 11:01 AM   #1609
jdos

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryG View Post
I live in Gainesville, and have service with Cox. I have two TIVO HD DVR's, both with a single M card. I continue to receive all Cox SD and HD channels except VOD (Channel 1 and Channel 700.)
Thanks for the reply. I will call them again. Did you have any problems when you called to order the cablecards?

Do you mind if I ask what you are paying per month for each M card?
jdos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:13 PM   #1610
ellinj
Seems Very Friendly

I seem to recall that there were a few other Cox Rhode Island users here. Anyone having difficulty with AMCHD on channel 750. It is the only channel I am not receiving. Everything else is good. Cox wants to send a service tech but I know that is going to be fruitless.
ellinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 03:07 AM   #1611
murraymh

I'm here in San Diego

When I called Cox for the install om my tivo hd I asked for an M card, which is what the installer bought - just 1 of them...but the install went just about perfect, and it's still the case some 3 weeks + later

no SDV issues (so far) here with Cox in San Diego
Old 08-28-2008, 07:36 AM   #1612
shabby46

Are there any other Cox Fairfax users out there? I keep reading about all of the changes that SDV is causing on other systems (TWC, Cablevision, even cox in different locations) and I have yet to see anyone as screwed as myself. I assume that there is nothing wrong with my box and that Cox up here has just gone crazy with the SDV, but I want to make sure.

Right now, among all of the SDV channels, I am missing out on approx. 22 of 40. Not to mention any SD channels like sundance. Over half of the HD is gone now! I admit I do not care about lifetime HD for example, but it seems that everyone else is missing out on one or two and maybe some SD channels like MTV musica or whatever.

I really find this to be quite unacceptable and I am not sure what I am going to do about it, but I just want some input as to if anyone else is in the same situation.

p.s. I am not the biggest NFL fan, but to put NFLHD on SDV as the season is about to start is just wrong. especially when they start broadcasting some of the games.
shabby46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 09:16 PM   #1613
will592

Just thought I'd post a comment here about a positive experience with cox (in phoenix) and the cable card situation. We have never been able to order Pay-Per-View with our cable card. When the cable company would send the 'hit' to unlock the ppv channel, it would crash the cable card and the tivo would die, needing a reboot. Well, some combination of tivo and multi-stream firmware update has fixed the problem. I ordered ESPN gameplan today and it worked flawlessly. I was so scared that it would kill my tivo that I set up a computer in my living room and had a video stream from yahoo going as a backup (we had company coming over to watch football). Well, it was unnecessary and it worked like a champ. I know this isn't 'earth shattering' news but it means that things are getting better. Just thought I'd throw out some positive experience here for people wondering.

Chris
will592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 12:05 AM   #1614
BrianAZ
Back on the wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by will592 View Post
Just thought I'd post a comment here about a positive experience with cox (in phoenix) and the cable card situation. We have never been able to order Pay-Per-View with our cable card. When the cable company would send the 'hit' to unlock the ppv channel, it would crash the cable card and the tivo would die, needing a reboot. Well, some combination of tivo and multi-stream firmware update has fixed the problem. I ordered ESPN gameplan today and it worked flawlessly. I was so scared that it would kill my tivo that I set up a computer in my living room and had a video stream from yahoo going as a backup (we had company coming over to watch football). Well, it was unnecessary and it worked like a champ. I know this isn't 'earth shattering' news but it means that things are getting better. Just thought I'd throw out some positive experience here for people wondering.

Chris
They're not offering a free preview are they? When I tried to get the hockey package last season, the order went through just fine but the day the free preview ended, I could no longer view it via the Tivo and after much argument, Cox gave me a "free" DVR to watch hockey on. I have free in quotes because I had to call them each month and get them to remove charges that should never have been there since it was "free". Each month they said they fixed it, but each month the charges were there again. Returned it the day playoffs moved to regular channels.
BrianAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 05:46 AM   #1615
whafro

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabby46 View Post
Are there any other Cox Fairfax users out there? I keep reading about all of the changes that SDV is causing on other systems (TWC, Cablevision, even cox in different locations) and I have yet to see anyone as screwed as myself. I assume that there is nothing wrong with my box and that Cox up here has just gone crazy with the SDV, but I want to make sure.
You're not alone (I'm in Falls Church on the Fairfax system), but it's not all SDV, apparently.

According to some previous posts, which I think are in this thread, the Fairfax office just doesn't turn on most of those channels for CableCard subscribers. They're apparently not actually SDV channels. I've been playing phone tag for two months now with Cox's VP of Community Relations trying to get an answer (and a "why").

But yeah, I get 703-720 (except a couple in there, like CNNHD), but nothing above that.

My building seems to be the last one in Falls Church City that hasn't been hooked up for fios, but when it is, I see no reason why I'd be sticking with Cox. Maybe that'll change with the tuning resolver, or with someone at the Fairfax office getting a clue, but it seems unlikely.
whafro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 04:10 PM   #1616
ksalwitz

Thumbs up Hockey Package and Firmware upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianAZ View Post
They're not offering a free preview are they? When I tried to get the hockey package last season, the order went through just fine but the day the free preview ended, I could no longer view it via the Tivo and after much argument, Cox gave me a "free" DVR to watch hockey on. I have free in quotes because I had to call them each month and get them to remove charges that should never have been there since it was "free". Each month they said they fixed it, but each month the charges were there again. Returned it the day playoffs moved to regular channels.
Hey Brian,
I had the hockey package last season. no problem. not sure why you had issues. I got the "half season package" because we missed the discounted full season package. one service guy that seems to be the area expert tech on tivo/cable cards and the supervisor for the techs in our area (jesse?) told me it should work fine and it did. I'm originally from Philly and it's the only way i get to see my Flyers . i received all of the games on all the appropriate channels.

BTW i got my firmware upgrade like everyone else and have had zero problems since. I checked it the morning everyone reported the upgrade and it was there. We've tried recording a whole bunch o' stuff, two programs at the same time etc. Not one problem or error. When they originally came out to install the first card back in January, they did a lot of work boosting the signal. They worked at the box on the corner outside, the box on the side of my house and went through the attic and re-routed some of the lines. This was the senior tech again that told be i'd be able to get the hockey. He improved the signal strength considerably. This may be why i'm not getting any of the grey/green screen issues that some folks are.

Ken

Humax Series 2 Tivo - T800 - Tivo Wireless (soon to retire)
Series 2 Tivo TCD54080 - Tivo Wireless
2 HD TCD652160-cable card (MS)-Tivo Wireless SDV
Wireless networked - Linksys WRT54G

ksalwitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 04:35 PM   #1617
BrianAZ
Back on the wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksalwitz View Post
Hey Brian,
I had the hockey package last season. no problem. not sure why you had issues. I got the "half season package" because we missed the discounted full season package. one service guy that seems to be the area expert tech on tivo/cable cards and the supervisor for the techs in our area (jesse?) told me it should work fine and it did. I'm originally from Philly and it's the only way i get to see my Flyers . i received all of the games on all the appropriate channels.

BTW i got my firmware upgrade like everyone else and have had zero problems since. I checked it the morning everyone reported the upgrade and it was there. We've tried recording a whole bunch o' stuff, two programs at the same time etc. Not one problem or error. When they originally came out to install the first card back in January, they did a lot of work boosting the signal. They worked at the box on the corner outside, the box on the side of my house and went through the attic and re-routed some of the lines. This was the senior tech again that told be i'd be able to get the hockey. He improved the signal strength considerably. This may be why i'm not getting any of the grey/green screen issues that some folks are.

Ken
I can't stand how everyone gets different answers from them. If they implement SDV though as they say they're going to, I don't imagine it will work this season?
BrianAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 10:19 PM   #1618
phnxhrt

ksalwitz remember tech's name?

Looking to setup my S3 on Cox with cable cards but was holding off after reading this thread on the troubles in Phx, but looks like there might be a light at the end of the tunnel? Remember the guy that came out to your house as I am in QC right next to Gilbert.

thx,

~Phnxhrt
phnxhrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 03:55 PM   #1619
ChrisMc73

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBird View Post
From another thread...

Those of us in AZ with M-cards currently have the version 301 firmware, which is what's causing all the partial recording issues here for everyone with a TiVo HD. Those outside of AZ may have a different firmware version.
How can you tell if you have the newest firmware for your cable cards?
Old 09-03-2008, 02:35 PM   #1620
lofar

Getting two Tivo units from the woot deal hooked up this Saturday. Cox in my area (Santa Barbara/Southern Cal) charges $59.00 for the truck roll for up to two cable cards, and an additional $10 for each cable card after that. Kind of $$ IMO for something a chimpanzee can do. Cards are also $1.99/mo each and they won't give me the first one free.

Here's to hoping the guy does a good job on saturday with two Tivo HDs.
lofar is offline   Reply With Quote