TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-13-2008, 04:06 PM   #5581
We Tigers

Hey Cheesehead--I'm in Arlington too, and also trying to set up an M-Card. I got a host ID fine yesterday and also had the right station IDs for channels, but didn't get any reception. I just bought the TiVo HD, so I believe I'm still working on old software (8.something).

If I run into any of the same problems on my next attempt or get a good local CSR, I'll let you know...I'm going to the Comcast office on Wilson Blvd. after work today to try to get a few cablecards to try myself and see if any of them have been successfully paired.
We Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 05:28 PM   #5582
cheesehead00

Quote:
Hey Cheesehead--I'm in Arlington too, and also trying to set up an M-Card. I got a host ID fine yesterday and also had the right station IDs for channels, but didn't get any reception. I just bought the TiVo HD, so I believe I'm still working on old software (8.something).

If I run into any of the same problems on my next attempt or get a good local CSR, I'll let you know...I'm going to the Comcast office on Wilson Blvd. after work today to try to get a few cablecards to try myself and see if any of them have been successfully paired.
well ill tell you who ive had so far in arlington...

Whitney 8/6- didnt bring any cable cards because she thought i wanted a box with an m card in it

Whitney 8/7- brought two M cards but could never get a host id or anything

Forgot name 8/8- brought two M cards but same problem as above. said he was going to go back to warehouse for more cards and would be right back but never called or came back

Vince 8/13- brought two M cards and same problem. i reran guided setup again while he went back to the warehouse and again no luck with the new cards.

I spoke to Vince's supervisor Lou who informed me that he didn't think Comcast and Scientific Atlanta cable cards worked with TiVo HD and that I was out of luck since thats all they carried. Informed him that I had no problem with Scientific Atlanta cards in the past through comcast and that they were probably bad cards.

they are coming back again tomorrow between 9-12 with new cards.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what the problem could be?

Hope you have better luck than me!
cheesehead00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 06:07 PM   #5583
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Yep, the problem is that your local folks have no idea how to properly initialize the cards for the Tivo and the headend that you're on. And they don't want to take the time to figure out how to do it right because they just want you to rent their DVR.

Post your tale and account number at comcastmustdie.com. Escalate immediately to your regional VP, and the Comcast Exec Support office in Philly. Search for Comcast at consumerist.com for phone numbers.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 09:06 PM   #5584
jjp007

I just found out that you should not remove the CC and reinsert it. you will have to re-pair the card. The numbers change when you remove the card and reinsert it. In my trouble shooting I did this, oh well u live and you learn

Also my problem with channels disappearing was because the signal coming in was far to low. Supposedly they did some work on the box outside today to get the signal strength up but I won't be able to tell until they repair my CC sometime tomorrow. They do this between the hours of 3 pm and 5 pm.
I'm not getting Show and HBO channels.
jjp007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 09:42 PM   #5585
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjp007 View Post
I just found out that you should not remove the CC and reinsert it. you will have to re-pair the card. The numbers change when you remove the card and reinsert it. In my trouble shooting I did this, oh well u live and you learn
That shouldn't be a problem unless you're putting them back in different slots.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 08:49 AM   #5586
We Tigers

Got a bit of misinformation from Comcast main, apparently--none of the local Comcast centers in Arlington/Alexandria will hand out the cablecards to customers. For my troubles, the center on Wilson gave me a $20 account credit and set up an appointment for Sunday, specifically requesting in the service notes for the card to be set up properly before it gets sent my way, and for it to be dispatched in the hands of a tech support supervisor type.

So, at least they seem to be making an effort to make up for the inconvenience. If Sunday's another failure, then up the chain we go...
We Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 09:56 AM   #5587
Dougmeister

No digital pkg in Harrisburg, PA

Will Comcast give me a cable card if I am *not* a digital subscriber? I just have basic cable and am using OTA for HD to my Series 3.

Thanks. Every time I call the 800 number they're like 'Duh! No you can't have a cablecard.' I should ask how much to rent one but I'm hoping against hope that I won't have to do that.
Dougmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 10:39 AM   #5588
jrm01

They won't give it to you, but they may rent you one (or two). Policy varies by region. However, without the digital package you will only get the unencrypted channels, which are probably the same ones that you are receiving OTA, and can probably also get using QAM tuner with cable (however no tivo program guide).
jrm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 11:26 AM   #5589
jlb
NCC-1701-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post
I ALSO Echo what two other posters have said.

I'm in NH - aka Boston Comcast Area - the Network
Operation Centers here get the provisioning right the
first time in a matter of minutes.

Other parts of the Country have nightmares. I believe
you are in one of those Comcast Nightmare regions.

Good Luck.
Note...I am in the same region and I had a not so perfect install way back when.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm01 View Post
They won't give it to you, but they may rent you one (or two). Policy varies by region. However, without the digital package you will only get the unencrypted channels, which are probably the same ones that you are receiving OTA, and can probably also get using QAM tuner with cable (however no tivo program guide).
This is a little misleading, I think. With CCs, you should be able to get whatever channels your "package" authorizes you for. The only exception would be On-Demand and any channels utilizing Switched Digital Video (though the adapter will handle this when it comes out).
Old 08-14-2008, 11:44 AM   #5590
cheesehead00

arlington, va

ok so the supervisor louis and vince came back this morning to try 2- S cards and we received the following errors.

a technical problem is preventing you from receiving all cable services at this time
please call your cable operator and report error code 161-1 to have this problem resolved

and...

cable card 1 is not in normal operation

just as they were about to give up and tell me that it was an issue with my tivo a host id and other info popped up. we wrote it down and called it into dispatch. during this time we received the initial error of cable card 1 is not in normal operation.

sooooo frustrated and don't know what to do since they gave up. does anyone have any suggestions on what to do?
Old 08-14-2008, 11:45 AM   #5591
jrm01

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb View Post
This is a little misleading, I think. With CCs, you should be able to get whatever channels your "package" authorizes you for. The only exception would be On-Demand and any channels utilizing Switched Digital Video (though the adapter will handle this when it comes out).
I was basing this on OP remark that he didn't want to get digital package, and I was referring to the possibility of him getting additional channels vs. what he gets without CCs. As you correctly point out, he would continue to get the basic package he is paying for and "may" get the local channels in HD also (as well as a few stray non-encrypted digital channels). This all assumes, of course, that he could even get the cards with only basic cable.
jrm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 05:53 PM   #5592
a68oliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm01 View Post
I was basing this on OP remark that he didn't want to get digital package, and I was referring to the possibility of him getting additional channels vs. what he gets without CCs. As you correctly point out, he would continue to get the basic package he is paying for and "may" get the local channels in HD also (as well as a few stray non-encrypted digital channels). This all assumes, of course, that he could even get the cards with only basic cable.
Dougmeister,

In my area Comcast's Digital Starter package is only $1.99 per month which is the same cost as a single cablecard. The cost of the 1st cablecard is included with any digital package so there should be no downside to subscribing to the Digital Starter package. The second cable card costs me $1.99.

The Digital Starter package includes the local HD OTA channels, as well as some other things like ESPN 1 & 2 in HD and the Music Choice channels. However, I see by looking at my rate sheet that you have to subscribe to "Epanded Service/Extended Basic" and not just "Limited Service/Basic" to qualify for the Digital Starter package.

If you truly subscribe to only "Basic" and not "Extended Basic" then there would be a substantial increase in cost. In my area that is $35.75 additional.

Your local rates and packages may vary.
Tivo HD November 2007

Last edited by a68oliver : 08-14-2008 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Clarity
a68oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 06:05 PM   #5593
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehead00 View Post
sooooo frustrated and don't know what to do since they gave up. does anyone have any suggestions on what to do?
They need to make sure the cards have current firmware and that they've been initialized properly. I seriously doubt that it's a problem with the Tivo, and I don't think you're going to get them to fix it without intervention from someone higher up at Comcast.

But whatever man, have more fun dicking around with them if you want.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:31 PM   #5594
cheesehead00

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
They need to make sure the cards have current firmware and that they've been initialized properly. I seriously doubt that it's a problem with the Tivo, and I don't think you're going to get them to fix it without intervention from someone higher up at Comcast.

But whatever man, have more fun dicking around with them if you want.
I wrote an extremely detailed letter to corporate comcast office from the email i found on here and received a call this morning stating that a lead tech was coming out to fix the problems. well they came out and basically did nothing and stated it was something on tivos end and that they couldnt help me anymore.

I spent over 4 hours on the phone with tivo support today trying to get it straightened out and after running tests and what not it is in deed comcasts fault and just bad cards they keep providing me. one of the cards they brought today even had a trash can sticker on it.

I filed a complaint with fcc about my issues and the fact that they said they would not provide me with cable cards anymore so hopefully this ordeal will be over soon because im going crazy dealing with these idiots.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:57 PM   #5595
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehead00 View Post
...one of the cards they brought today even had a trash can sticker on it...
I can corroborate your findings. Comcast techs have been known to just put bad cards back into the system to let someone else deal with it. At my original install, one of the cards the tech was trying to install unsuccessfully even had "BAD" written on the back of it with a sharpie marker. Sheesh!
Old 08-16-2008, 07:08 PM   #5596
bdj470

I know this might sound like a dumb question.

Can you order the Cablecards from Comcast using the "Live Chat"?

I have been hesitant ordering the cablecards after reading some posts here for my Tivo HD.
bdj470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 07:17 PM   #5597
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

You can order a cablecard install from chat, but you have about a 50/50 chance of getting a tech who says he's at your house to install a new DVR instead.
Old 08-17-2008, 03:21 PM   #5598
jlib
Lean Forward

Like anything it depends upon the CSR you get. For initial order I would think that a call would be better so you can keep hammering home that you need a Cable Card (and an M one at that). Chat is particularly good if you are steaming to the point of verbal abuse or inarticulateness, of if you have a complicated problem and want a history (save the session).
Old 08-18-2008, 10:06 AM   #5599
dbutts

My MCard works!

Holy cablecards batman, this thing finally works.

After 3 technicians and countless hours on the phone by both me and the techs, the Comcast 'supervisor' stopped by this morning.

In short:

Nothing but grey screens on cable channels whether using M card or 2 S cards. One S Card worked from the start.

Here's how they "fixed" it:

Comcast tech at HQ removed all the cards from my account and then setup one of the new MCards that the supervisor had as a "new" card. This apparently got it to initialize properly.

Maybe this will be of help to someone.
dbutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 04:36 PM   #5600
elicariota
Atlanta Comcast/TiVo

Digital Comcast/TiVo S3/no cards/no channels??

I've spent hours trying to get at least the analog channels to TiVo, pending the arrival of the Comcast cablecards, due to be installed in about 3 weeks.

I have:
Comcast Digital service (Atlanta/Alpharetta)
TiVo HD TCD652160 (S3)
TV that is not HD
No cablecards (yet)

Comcast tells me I should be able to get analog channels (1-78) pending the arrival of my cablecards which will "unlock" channels 79-100. This shouldn't be a difficult task, but I'm not getting anything but a light gray screen.

Comcast had me run the cable directly to the TV and of course, that works fine. So Comcast says they're job is done. TiVo has walked me through numerous configurations, but nothing has worked.

Channels are selected in TiVo, TiVo detects cable (rating of 93, I believe), ran the initial TiVo setup 3 times. Still nothing.

Shouldn't I be able to pick up the standard analog channels without the cablecards?

It shouldn't matter that our TV isn't HD, right?

It's frustrating to be paying for TiVo service, Comcast service and new TiVo DVR and not being able to get them to communicate with each other.

Any ideas?

Frustrated in Atlanta
elicariota @ comcast.net
elicariota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 04:44 PM   #5601
thisisnotadrill

the analog stations shouldn't be in HD anyways so that shouldn't be a problem, especially if it worked when the cable was directly connected to the television.

I've been having my own problems getting comcast cable cards but thus far its been a problem of getting the cablecards to my tivo, not getting them installed correctly. Today was supposed to be the day, but now its tomorrow at 7am. The tech who i talked to today adn who is going to do the install has actually never seen cablecards before, only heard of them! this should be fun, im just going to be ready to walk him through it (even though i have never done it either).
thisisnotadrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 06:52 PM   #5602
elicariota
Atlanta Comcast/TiVo

You're in for an interesting day tomorrow, for sure.
So you're able to get the analog stations using the card-less TiVo?
What's your secret?????

Elizabeth in ATL

[quote=thisisnotadrill;6598346]the analog stations shouldn't be in HD anyways so that shouldn't be a problem, especially if it worked when the cable was directly connected to the television.

I've been having my own problems getting comcast cable cards but thus far its been a problem of getting the cablecards to my tivo, not getting them installed correctly.

Last edited by elicariota : 08-19-2008 at 06:37 AM.
Old 08-19-2008, 03:04 AM   #5603
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by elicariota View Post
Do you're able to get the analog stations using the card-less TiVo?
Is the coax cable connected to the "cable" input, not the "antenna" input?
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 04:25 AM   #5604
cluelesspa

Quote:
Originally Posted by elicariota View Post
I've spent hours trying to get at least the analog channels to TiVo, pending the arrival of the Comcast cablecards, due to be installed in about 3 weeks.

Any ideas?

Frustrated in Atlanta
elicariota @ comcast.net
Have you tried looking at your SETTINGS section for DISPLAY output on the TIVO. make sure it is NOT set to AUTO ... set it to 480i fixed or something like that. the Tivo maybe sending it out 1080 hd anyway for output to the TV. so force the TIVO to send it out NON HD.
cluelesspa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 04:28 AM   #5605
cluelesspa

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbutts View Post
Here's how they "fixed" it:

Comcast tech at HQ removed all the cards from my account and then setup one of the new MCards that the supervisor had as a "new" card. This apparently got it to initialize properly.

Maybe this will be of help to someone.
I am guessing they just FINALLY got someone on the other end to enter in the proper codes correctly and it took. that is the big MISTERY to this process. Finding someone on the COMCAST side that knows how to pair and activate the Cable cards in the COMCAST system properly. I would guess removing all cards ect. was not the solution. just getting it put in right in their system was the solution. but glad you finally got it working.... a nice feeling, eh?
cluelesspa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 06:38 AM   #5606
elicariota
Atlanta Comcast/TiVo

Yes, although I did try both. TiVo is set to look for the signal via cable, not antenna.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3 View Post
Is the coax cable connected to the "cable" input, not the "antenna" input?

Old 08-19-2008, 08:05 AM   #5607
elicariota
Atlanta Comcast/TiVo

The TiVo display was set to 720i? (something in the 700s), but I bumped it down to 480i a few days ago as suggested by TiVo tech support.

Our package with Comcast is Digital Starter. This doesn't mean that all channels are digital, right? Comcast says that digital programming starts in the 70's, but read in a forum that in some areas, ALL the channels are digital.

This should be such a simple configuration. Cable to TiVo, A/V cables from TiVo to TV. I'm using an S-video/audio cable that connected the DVD player to the TV, but I've also tried the RCA video plug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluelesspa View Post
Have you tried looking at your SETTINGS section for DISPLAY output on the TIVO. make sure it is NOT set to AUTO ... set it to 480i fixed or something like that. the Tivo maybe sending it out 1080 hd anyway for output to the TV. so force the TIVO to send it out NON HD.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:07 AM   #5608
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Digital Starter in the ATL still has all the expanded basic analog channels, and you should be able to get them all. I got the gray screen too after first hooking up my Tivo, but after a reboot was able to see the analog channels without a card (this is the 'first out of the box gray screen bug' that others have seen). But I am using HDMI connection with Tivo set to Native output and all channels were fine until I got the Cablecard (but that's another story that I posted earlier).

Good luck with the card install in the ATL because it's a joke, sadly. You might need an area supervisor and/or a lot of luck, because even if you get the card there's a good chance it will not have been setup properly for your headend and Tivo.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:55 AM   #5609
elicariota
Atlanta Comcast/TiVo

By reboot, do you mean going through the initial TiVo setup again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Digital Starter in the ATL still has all the expanded basic analog channels, and you should be able to get them all. I got the gray screen too after first hooking up my Tivo, but after a reboot was able to see the analog channels without a card (this is the 'first out of the box gray screen bug' that others have seen).

Old 08-19-2008, 08:53 PM   #5610
joe mama

I picked up 3 new cards today and when I called Comcast for pairing they say the cards I have are already paired. They say they can't change the pairing and I have get new cards or have a tech come out. Oh, and this is the 2nd day in a row this has happened. Any ideas?
joe mama is offline   Reply With Quote