TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
View Poll Results: Is this problem resolved?
Yep - no more partials!! 15 88.24%
Nope - still seeing partial recordings 2 11.76%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump

Old 08-14-2008, 10:27 PM   #331
herbma

My wife spent an hour talking to a the Tivo Hi Def tech and she didn't even know about the cable card issue here in Phoenix area. She even told us to ask Cox for two S cards. My wife was transfered to a level II rep and basically he told her it was a cox issue and to be patient. We're fed up. We have paid for lifetime on two units. The more expensive unit with two M cards that function as single stream cards works fine. The other unit that has a single M card that installs in the slot in the front. It's the unit that we have all of the continued problems.
herbma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 11:24 PM   #332
Supermurph

I've had the new firmware since Tuesday and it's working great. This is why I've been the optimistic one on the board this week. I've been contacted repeatedly by Cox and Tivo. They are diligently working together.

I previously did not share this because, as BrianAZ said, the firmware before this was a dud (I also had it for a short period) and Cox/Tivo did not want to spread it to very many people until they knew it worked.

So, I have no idea what their plans are, but I seriously doubt they are going to wait a month. The person at Tivo I talked to has been emailing me every day to check progress and Cox told me to call them by the end of the week if they don't call me first. So, they also seem eager to resolve this.

I think you can understand that it would be a bigger disaster to roll out a test firmware to a large group of people that are already mad just to have it brick their Tivos. I know the situation with the "301" card makes recording a sketchy proposition, but you can at least watch TV. I'm hopeful like everyone that they've got it. So far so good. So, a fix is coming!
Supermurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 12:03 AM   #333
andygriffith

That is great news!

Roll it out, it sounds a lot more stable than the firmware everyone else has!
andygriffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 12:18 AM   #334
NSlikster

This is great news!

Now if only Cox and TiVo would provide communication. My experience on TiVo support last night (trying to call their CableCard Hotline) left a very bad taste in my mouth. If not for this forum, I'd feel that this predicament was completely hopeless and I'd be returning my TiVo (against my will mind you).

Communication would make this situation a whole lot different in my mind.
NSlikster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 01:06 AM   #335
saibari

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSlikster View Post
This is great news!

Now if only Cox and TiVo would provide communication. My experience on TiVo support last night (trying to call their CableCard Hotline) left a very bad taste in my mouth. If not for this forum, I'd feel that this predicament was completely hopeless and I'd be returning my TiVo (against my will mind you).

Communication would make this situation a whole lot different in my mind.
Hopefully what Supermurph reports is a good indicator that they are close to a solution... But I agree, it would be nice if the rest of us got some indication of this "progress" and if the TiVo/Cox reps had a clue about what's going on. ... I also think it's odd that we here in the Phoenix/Tucson area are the only ones having these issues...
saibari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 10:12 AM   #336
splatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibari View Post
Hopefully what Supermurph reports is a good indicator that they are close to a solution... But I agree, it would be nice if the rest of us got some indication of this "progress" and if the TiVo/Cox reps had a clue about what's going on. ... I also think it's odd that we here in the Phoenix/Tucson area are the only ones having these issues...
Yes, it would be very interesting to find out why this is a Phx area issue only.
I have a Series 3 with two S cards and have the 'other' problem where some of the channels in the 30-80 range have annoying pauses that make them unwatchable. Fortunately most of the affected channels I'm interested in now have HD counterparts that do not have this issue.
Is it safe for me to switch to an M card? I've seen some indication in this thread that the M card issue only affects HD units and not Series 3. Is this completely confirmed?
Thx.
Steve
Gilbert, AZ
splatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 11:13 AM   #337
JayBird

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatt View Post
Is it safe for me to switch to an M card? I've seen some indication in this thread that the M card issue only affects HD units and not Series 3. Is this completely confirmed?
It appears that this problem is limited to M-cards when working in multi-stream mode in a TiVo HD when used on the Cox Arizona cable network.

Others can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that this problem does not affect Series 3 TiVos with M-cards because in a Series 3 the M-cards are working in single-stream mode, not multi-stream mode. Apparently the code paths in the firmware where the bugs exist that have been causing this problem aren't executed when running in single-stream mode.

Also, this problem is localized to the infrastructure of the Cox Arizona cable network. There is clearly something unique about the implementation of the local cable network that randomly causes the cable cards to execute the buggy code. This problem has not been seen in other markets, even other Cox markets, as they all have different cable network implementations.
JayBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 11:14 AM   #338
Shawn95GT
Tivo, in HD!

splatt - I'll see that now and then and if I jump back slightly it goes away. As such it seems to only occur when when I first tune a channel.
1x S3 Tivo WD10EVVS 1TB upgrade
1x Tivo Premier - WD20EURS 2TB upgrade in the works
Shawn95GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 09:33 PM   #339
malogus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBird View Post
It appears that this problem is limited to M-cards when working in multi-stream mode in a TiVo HD when used on the Cox Arizona cable network.

Others can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that this problem does not affect Series 3 TiVos with M-cards because in a Series 3 the M-cards are working in single-stream mode, not multi-stream mode. Apparently the code paths in the firmware where the bugs exist that have been causing this problem aren't executed when running in single-stream mode.

Also, this problem is localized to the infrastructure of the Cox Arizona cable network. There is clearly something unique about the implementation of the local cable network that randomly causes the cable cards to execute the buggy code. This problem has not been seen in other markets, even other Cox markets, as they all have different cable network implementations.
I would say this is a true statement from my experience. My TivoHD in my bedroom is pretty much spotty on recording and drops/grays out regularly. My Series 3 Tivo in the TV room has had no issues with firmware updates (just pixelation issues)
malogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 01:44 AM   #340
saibari

Aaaaaaaaargh!

Ok, I'm still experiencing the partial recordings problem but now I'm having the grayed-out channels program too, only worse! Not once, but TWICE today I turned on my TV and found not a subset, but all my channels were gray!! Luckily, a re-boot solved the problem both times but, come on!!!

I feel like Charlie Brown--each time I get a new card (and as time goes by) I feel like surely they've figured out what's wrong and surely things will be better (if not fixed)--and then bam, Lucy yanks the ball away yet again!

And to boot, I've not been able to get my home-entertainment guy to call me back to give me an idea of how much it would cost to re-program my remote for the Cox DVR--cuz it's really looking like I'm gonna have to go that route until they get this thing figured out...
Old 08-17-2008, 11:44 AM   #341
bowlingblogger

I am starting to have the grey-screen problem here in Tucson as well. It happened yesterday while my girlfriend was in the middle of recording a movie and she got really mad. Maybe we should sue Cox/Tivo for the relationship problems they are causing...
bowlingblogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 01:16 PM   #342
Rolow

Quote:
Ok, I'm still experiencing the partial recordings problem but now I'm having the grayed-out channels program too, only worse! Not once, but TWICE today I turned on my TV and found not a subset, but all my channels were gray!! Luckily, a re-boot solved the problem both times but, come on!!!

I feel like Charlie Brown--each time I get a new card (and as time goes by) I feel like surely they've figured out what's wrong and surely things will be better (if not fixed)--and then bam, Lucy yanks the ball away yet again!

And to boot, I've not been able to get my home-entertainment guy to call me back to give me an idea of how much it would cost to re-program my remote for the Cox DVR--cuz it's really looking like I'm gonna have to go that route until they get this thing figured out...
What remote do you have?

I know its not right but i feel better knowing other people are experiencing the same loss of channels I am.
Rolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 02:31 PM   #343
saibari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolow View Post
What remote do you have?

I know its not right but i feel better knowing other people are experiencing the same loss of channels I am.
No, you're right--it definitely helps to know you're not alone. The more people having the same problems, the more they'll be motivated to find a solution. I'm afraid though, that even if everyone in the Phoenix/Tucson area were having problems that's still a very small subset of both companies' customer-base.

I have a URC MX-810 remote. It's not top-of-the-line, but it cost nearly $400 so that was plenty "top-of-the-line" for me! Although now I see it's going for $175 on Amazon! Just 10 months ago I couldn't find a price lower than $400. I guess that's what happens with electronics. I don't even want to see how much my TV is going for now. ...

Anyway, from what I've read the MX-810 a bear to program--even for professionals. So I wouldn't begin to attempt it myself! I wonder if the Cox DVR could be added as an additional device. This means I wouldn't have to re-programmed once I start using the TiVo again...
Old 08-17-2008, 02:40 PM   #344
Minx

add me to list of p'o'd customers

Glad I found this thread. In my frustration last night of wanting to drop kick the Tivo out the window - I was happy to come across this thread.

Cox of course is coming out to replace our m-CARD which I know is not a solution. we had to tell our 2 Cox reps we have called about the 161-38 error.

As we speak - i just got a digital error while trying to record and watch Transformers on HBO.

Anyway - the Cox billing department was not helpful and did not offer us any compensation.

I'm going to file a complaint with Cox and Tivo hire ups. We should get something for our troubles.

2 of my movies last night only taped the first 9 minutes of the movie.

BTW - I'm off of Ray and McClintock in Chandler.
Minx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 05:17 PM   #345
andygriffith

Can any of the Beta testers give us an update as to how the 304 code is performing? Have there been any issues? The last time any of the testers posted all was going well with the 304 code. If it is still going strong, they should deploy it to everyone ASAP.
andygriffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 05:18 PM   #346
aztivo

now maybe some of you will relax and not think everyone is full of it who try to talk reason into this thread
aztivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 05:23 PM   #347
TomJHansen

You can tell Tivo that it's this thread that's keeping me from ditching the Cox HD DVR and going with Tivo HD. At some point (when On Demand is turned on), I'm going to unplug the 4 Tivos I have and just go with the Cox DVR.
TomJHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 08:43 PM   #348
extstork

If anyone has an update to when this will be solved, please let us know. I've been through 3 sets of S cards and 6 M cards and still can't get through most recordings without going grey. My wife's griping is about to do me in but I keep telling her a fix is coming soon. Am I right? I live in Gilbert, AZ.
extstork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 12:17 AM   #349
saibari

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztivo View Post
now maybe some of you will relax and not think everyone is full of it who try to talk reason into this thread
Ok, maybe I missed something. My TiVo is worse than it has ever been--multiple partial recordings, stupid error message popping up both while I'm watching live TV and recorded programs (dumping me back to the beginning of the recorded program I was watching--though I suppose I should be grateful that I had a fully recorded program to watch!), and multiple graying out of channels per day necessitating a re-boot. ... So me personally, I'm finding it a bit hard to relax!
Old 08-18-2008, 12:21 AM   #350
Supermurph

Quote:
Originally Posted by andygriffith View Post
Can any of the Beta testers give us an update as to how the 304 code is performing? Have there been any issues? The last time any of the testers posted all was going well with the 304 code. If it is still going strong, they should deploy it to everyone ASAP.
Still going good over the weekend for me, but I don't know for others. I mentioned this thread to the guy from Tivo and he told me that he doesn't have any date specific information, but they will get this out as soon as they think it's ready. I know that doesn't give you an immediate answer, but if you put yourself in their shoes, I think you can understand that it really is just that.

He said this firmware looks promising so far, but we're testing now and we'll have to see how it goes. They are aware of all of you out there so they're going as quickly as they can. Just a little longer.
Supermurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 10:52 AM   #351
Rolow

Is 728 really bad for anyone else? I haven't got a full recording on USAHD 728 since this hole thing started.
I also wrote to Steve Kim one of the host's of the Engadget HD podcast. He has a tivo hd and lives in Scottsdale but I never got a response.

Quote:
No, you're right--it definitely helps to know you're not alone. The more people having the same problems, the more they'll be motivated to find a solution. I'm afraid though, that even if everyone in the Phoenix/Tucson area were having problems that's still a very small subset of both companies' customer-base.

I have a URC MX-810 remote. It's not top-of-the-line, but it cost nearly $400 so that was plenty "top-of-the-line" for me! Although now I see it's going for $175 on Amazon! Just 10 months ago I couldn't find a price lower than $400. I guess that's what happens with electronics. I don't even want to see how much my TV is going for now. ...

Anyway, from what I've read the MX-810 a bear to program--even for professionals. So I wouldn't begin to attempt it myself! I wonder if the Cox DVR could be added as an additional device. This means I wouldn't have to re-programmed once I start using the TiVo again...
I have the mx-850 and its great it took me 3 hours to program it the first time. It was my first time programing any remote so I was a complete noob. I edited the programing every day for the first week to get it exactly how i wanted it.
I don't know any thing about the mx-810 but i say give it a try if you have the software for the remote that is. URC changed there policy after I bought my remote form Showcase. They decided not to give live updates to end user's.
Rolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 11:19 AM   #352
bweeston

Channels Affected by Cablecard reset

Over this weekend, I conducted a test of my own. I wanted to be able to record without interrruptions the NBC channel of the Olympics. I first tuned to 712 on one tuner and then to 706 on the other tuner. I was able to record channel 712 for over 6 hours without interruption. During the break after 5 P.M. , I changed the other tuner that was on 706 to one of the movie channels - 200. Within an hour, I started getting the cablecard error 161-38 and frozen screens followed by the reset. I also set up recordings on channel 725 which was broadcasting Olympic events from 2 A.M. until 6 A.M. I woke up to partial recordings.

Simultaneously I did this on my other TivoHD. Six hours of continuous recording without interruption or reset or cable card error. Overnight recordings set on channel 725 resulted in partial recordings.

I offer this information to help Cox figure out why there isn't a disruption to local HD channel viewing/recording (using the cablecard) but an obvious disruption when any tuner in a TivoHD unit is tuned to a movie or premium channel.

Has anyone else tested this configuration to isolate the problem to viewing/recording movie or premium channels?

Ben.
bweeston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 03:29 PM   #353
Kershek

Not sure if this helps, but I still receive partial recordings and I don't have any movie / premium channels other than HD.
Kershek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 05:36 PM   #354
jreichjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by bweeston View Post
Simultaneously I did this on my other TivoHD. Six hours of continuous recording without interruption or reset or cable card error. Overnight recordings set on channel 725 resulted in partial recordings.

I offer this information to help Cox figure out why there isn't a disruption to local HD channel viewing/recording (using the cablecard) but an obvious disruption when any tuner in a TivoHD unit is tuned to a movie or premium channel.

Has anyone else tested this configuration to isolate the problem to viewing/recording movie or premium channels?

Ben.

I have a new TIVO HD that is two weeks old. I have Cox Cable in Arizona and a single Multistream Cable Card. The consensus was that TIVO was superior to the SA 8300 box that I have had since HD hit the air but so far I would go with the SA box any day. Very seldom does it mess up a recording..I don't care about the whistles and bells of the TIVO if the thing is not going to work.

I seldom get complete recordings. Never completes any of the Olympics so I cancelled the season passes for them. Even now it will usually stop at 57 or 59 minutes. Sometimes it will get 4 hours on a 4 hour and 30 minute baseball game..but frequently I get 13 minutes or maybe 37 minutes..It never picks up the show and completes the recording. A little glitch in the middle of the program would be much better than only getting 37 minutes of a program. Does anyone know why this thing will not restart a recording? Maybe I missed a setting...

I read somewhere in this forum that Cox Arizona is to have new firmware for the Multistream cards soon but does anyone know when. I think it is to be 3.04. I know a lot of people have been living in cable card nightmare for 7 or 8 months and I have just started the dream but for $750 invested it is not looking good so far.

Does anyone know how to read out the cable card firmware revision? Since Cox does not send a notice when the firmware is updated (I have had HSI for 15 years and have never received firmware update notice) it would be nice to know when the card has been updated so I would know if that is the fix or if I need to take other measures.

All opinions welcome, John
jreichjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 06:28 PM   #355
grimgrinnin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreichjr View Post
The consensus was that TIVO was superior to the SA 8300 box that I have had since HD hit the air
Bet that's the last time you listen to THAT guy...
grimgrinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 07:14 PM   #356
jreichjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimgrinnin View Post
Bet that's the last time you listen to THAT guy...
Now Grim (what happend to the grinnin), I weighed many factors before buying my TIVO...I am sure some day it will live up to our expectations..Since your new HD has the same problem as mine and many what many others have reported I am sure it will be fixed.. I just hope it is soooooon....

Keep em flyin.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:26 PM   #357
saibari

Quote:
Now Grim (what happend to the grinnin), I weighed many factors before buying my TIVO...I am sure some day it will live up to our expectations..Since your new HD has the same problem as mine and many what many others have reported I am sure it will be fixed.. I just hope it is soooooon....
Ahhh, the innocence of one who is just now beginning to deal with the problem... of one who is not yet jaded and believes that of course these upstanding companies will quickly solve the service problems that so many here in Arizona are experiencing... I remember when I was like that!
Old 08-18-2008, 10:57 PM   #358
jreichjr

Quote:
Ahhh, the innocence of one who is just now beginning to deal with the problem... of one who is not yet jaded and believes that of course these upstanding companies will quickly solve the service problems that so many here in Arizona are experiencing... I remember when I was like that!
I know, I am trying to keep an open mind and hope that the light at the end of the tunnel is not the locomotive comming on fast!!!
Old 08-18-2008, 10:58 PM   #359
BrianAZ
Back on the wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermurph View Post
Still going good over the weekend for me, but I don't know for others. I mentioned this thread to the guy from Tivo and he told me that he doesn't have any date specific information, but they will get this out as soon as they think it's ready. I know that doesn't give you an immediate answer, but if you put yourself in their shoes, I think you can understand that it really is just that.

He said this firmware looks promising so far, but we're testing now and we'll have to see how it goes. They are aware of all of you out there so they're going as quickly as they can. Just a little longer.
I also posed a similar question to my Tivo contact after several folks requested. The response I received was identical to Supermurph... they won't commit to a date but did stress that this is a top priority to them and they will release it as soon as Cox is comfortable it won't cause additional issues. They would like to do it as soon as possible.
BrianAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 11:09 PM   #360
BrianAZ
Back on the wagon

Quote:
Does anyone know why this thing will not restart a recording? Maybe I missed a setting...
You did not miss anything. It does not resume after reset. I won't debate whether it should or not (I agree it would make dealing with this issue a lot easier), I'll just say that the Tivo developers obviously didn't expect the cablecard to be needing a reset multiple times a day.

Quote:
I read somewhere in this forum that Cox Arizona is to have new firmware for the Multistream cards soon but does anyone know when. I think it is to be 3.04.

Does anyone know how to read out the cable card firmware revision? Since Cox does not send a notice when the firmware is updated (I have had HSI for 15 years and have never received firmware update notice) it would be nice to know when the card has been updated so I would know if that is the fix or if I need to take other measures.
You read correct (though it's "304, rather than 3.04"). To see what version you have, do the following:
  1. Tivo Button
  2. Messages & Settings
  3. Account & System Information
  4. CableCARD Decoders
  5. Configure CableCARD 1 (MultiStream) - This is assuming you have a single MCard
  6. CableCARD Menu
  7. SA CableCARD Diag Screen
  8. OS Ver: PKEY1.1.12_F.p.0301

I'm sure there's a more direct route, but this is how I check it.
BrianAZ is offline   Reply With Quote